Start by marking “Up, Down, or Sideways: How to Succeed When Times Are Good, Bad, or in Between” as Want to Read:
Up, Down, or Sideways: How to Succeed When Times Are Good, Bad, or in Between

Up, Down, or Sideways: How to Succeed When Times Are Good, Bad, or in Between

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  128 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In Up, Down, or Sideways, Mark Sanborn, author of the bestselling book The Fred Factor, prepares you for life's inevitable cycles of up and down--and, too often, sideways. We tend to be surprised when downturns hit us and treat them as the exception--and when times are good, we act as if they will never change. In this book, Mark shows us what we should always be doing to ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Up, Down, or Sideways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up, Down, or Sideways

Marcel Anderson
Oct 25, 2012 Marcel Anderson rated it it was amazing
I believe this book is changeing my outlook on life. This book is helping me to push through the challenging times of my life. It defines the true meaning of success. Your meaning. Keep believeing in your dreams. Don't let anyone keep you from acheieveing your ultimate smart goals.
Allizabeth Collins
Nov 02, 2011 Allizabeth Collins rated it really liked it
Description:
Up, Down, or Sideways is a self-help book dedicated to helping you get through your up, down, and sideways struggles in life and success. In today's economy, as unpredictable and scary as it may seem, Mark Sanborn shows you how to take control of your life and career, no matter how uncontrollable the present and future seem.

Review:
I am sort of a closet fan of reading other people's opinions on how to live life to the fullest. So, when I got the opportunity to read Mark Sanborn's n
Pat W. Kirk (author name Patricia Annalee Kirk)
More philosophic than how-to,Up, Down, or Sideways refers to our personal economics. We will always be Up Down or Sideways and those conditions will change. If we are wealthy and well, plan for those conditions to change. Thankfully, joblessness and illness can change as well. So how can we live successfully amid life’s uneven flow?

The author allows us to define our success—not always financial but often including the financial. He says success means different things to every reader. He contend
Sylvia
Aug 11, 2012 Sylvia rated it really liked it

Predicting the future is easy; predicting it correctly is very hard. Since we can’t be certain of what the future holds, what should we always be doing to ensure our success regardless of what happens?

In today’s economic climate of hardship, downsizing, unemployment and government bailouts, here comes this terrific book, based on sound principles, to help us thrive. This amazing resource could have not come at a better time for the working people of America. “Up, Down or Sideways” focuses on t
Mark Stapel
Apr 08, 2015 Mark Stapel rated it liked it
3.5
Paul Steele
Mar 20, 2012 Paul Steele rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, self-help
Nice book about keeping things in perspective during all of life's ups and downs. Clearly written from a Christian perspective, but not preachy at all. It also includes points and helps that are not from "Christian" sources (gasp), but quite relevant and helpful. The tips include success tips for your personal life as well as your business.
James
Mar 27, 2013 James rated it liked it
Very quick read (audiobook is 3 CD's). Mark presented a couple of good ways to examine ones career, business and relationships asking if they going up, down or sideways. Next, a couple of antidotes were presented, but nothing spectacular that would have me rank this book above a middle grade of 3 stars.
Rasha Yousif
May 14, 2014 Rasha Yousif rated it really liked it
It is a very practical book (Light reading) with good mental exercises. I really enjoyed reading it and it has inspired me in many ways.
Sara
Jan 25, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
A great little book about positive thinking, business, and how to get the most out of life, no matter if things are going well, ok, or not great. Discusses how life is always changing, and how to go with the flow and be "successful" according to your definition of what you need to be happy.
Elizabeth Olson
May 08, 2012 Elizabeth Olson rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help, read-2012
Equal parts philosophical and practical, Sanborn presents a fresh take on staying focused whether life feels up, down, or sideways, and on how, by framing our thoughts, goals and expectations, we can get the most out of our circumstances, whatever they are at this time.
Joel Ungar
Sep 29, 2013 Joel Ungar rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Once you get past his happy memories of attending Ohio State and some plaudits for Woody Hayes (AKA Voldemort) this book was very good and a nice companion to The Fred Factor.
Bob Allen
Success self-help book. Compendium of wisdom. Focus is really on defining success (personal scorecard), persistence, discipline. Some good stuff here.
Cai
Mar 21, 2015 Cai rated it it was amazing
I love how this book can be applied to not only the financial aspect of your life but all aspects of your life. Is definitely worth the read.
Olivia
May 24, 2012 Olivia added it
Shelves: kindle, self-help
Excellent approach to living successfully with lots of great ideas to get self motivated. I intend to read, think and PRAY each day
Bill Donhiser
Oct 16, 2011 Bill Donhiser rated it really liked it
A good quick read and wonderfully concise. A good reminder to consciously control your thoughts as they control your outcomes.
Melissa Rose
Aug 07, 2014 Melissa Rose rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-advice
great book for motivating you at every stage of success. i will definitely return to my notes in the future.
Joseph Iliff
Nov 21, 2012 Joseph Iliff rated it it was amazing
Mark reconnects us to those things that do not change even in chaotic circumstances.
Jessica
Food for thought
Casey Wheeler
Review to follow.
Danny Wiegand
Danny Wiegand marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Red
Red marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Leslie Lewis
Leslie Lewis marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Sri Varma
Sri Varma rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
SailorMoon
SailorMoon marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Emilymc
Emilymc rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Mark Russell
Mark Russell marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Elizabeth Prickett
Elizabeth Prickett marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Richard Agbodo
Richard Agbodo marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
common sense 1 3 Jul 29, 2013 10:24AM
  • Lead with Luv: A Different Way to Create Real Success
  • Instant Self-Hypnosis: How to Hypnotize Yourself with Your Eyes Open
  • Game on: Find Your Purpose--Pursue Your Dream
  • Us: A User's Guide
  • Success is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices Change Your Life
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • The Top Ten Leadership Commandments
  • The Jesus Experiment: What Happens When You Follow in His Footsteps?
  • Taking Flight!: Master the DISC Styles to Transform Your Career, Your Relationships... Your Life
  • Getting to No: How to Break a Stubborn Habit
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies
  • Make More, Worry Less: Secrets from 18 Extraordinary People Who Created a Bigger Income and a Better Life
  • The Mind-Made Prison: Overcoming Limiting Beliefs and Manifesting Personal Transformation
  • Tales of the Revolution:  True Stories of People who are Poking the Box and Making a Difference
  • The Soulmate Experience: A Practical Guide to Creating Extraordinary Relationships
  • 40 Unforgettable Dates with Your Mate: Creative Ways to Meet the Love Needs of Husbands and Wives
  • 50 Ways to Protect Your Identity in a Digital Age: New Financial Threats You Need to Know and How to Avoid Them
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
Mark Sanborn is an international known author, motivational speaker, and the president of Sanborn & Associates, Inc., an idea studio for leadership development. He gives nearly one hundred presentations each year on leadership, team building, customer service, and mastering change. Mark and his family live near Denver, Colorado.
More about Mark Sanborn...