Start by marking “Up, Down, or Sideways: How to Succeed When Times Are Good, Bad, or in Between” as Want to Read:
Up, Down, or Sideways: How to Succeed When Times Are Good, Bad, or in Between

Up, Down, or Sideways: How to Succeed When Times Are Good, Bad, or in Between

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In "Up, Down, or Sideways," Mark Sanborn, author of the bestselling book "The Fred Factor," prepares you for life's inevitable cycles of up and down--and, too often, sideways. We tend to be surprised when downturns hit us and treat them as the exception--and when times are good, we act as if they will never change. In this book, Mark shows us what we should always be doing ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Up, Down, or Sideways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up, Down, or Sideways

Marcel Anderson
I believe this book is changeing my outlook on life. This book is helping me to push through the challenging times of my life. It defines the true meaning of success. Your meaning. Keep believeing in your dreams. Don't let anyone keep you from acheieveing your ultimate smart goals.
Allizabeth Collins
Up, Down, or Sideways is a self-help book dedicated to helping you get through your up, down, and sideways struggles in life and success. In today's economy, as unpredictable and scary as it may seem, Mark Sanborn shows you how to take control of your life and career, no matter how uncontrollable the present and future seem.

I am sort of a closet fan of reading other people's opinions on how to live life to the fullest. So, when I got the opportunity to read Mark Sanborn's n
Pat W. Kirk
More philosophic than how-to,Up, Down, or Sideways refers to our personal economics. We will always be Up Down or Sideways and those conditions will change. If we are wealthy and well, plan for those conditions to change. Thankfully, joblessness and illness can change as well. So how can we live successfully amid life’s uneven flow?

The author allows us to define our success—not always financial but often including the financial. He says success means different things to every reader. He contend

Predicting the future is easy; predicting it correctly is very hard. Since we can’t be certain of what the future holds, what should we always be doing to ensure our success regardless of what happens?

In today’s economic climate of hardship, downsizing, unemployment and government bailouts, here comes this terrific book, based on sound principles, to help us thrive. This amazing resource could have not come at a better time for the working people of America. “Up, Down or Sideways” focuses on t
Paul Steele
Nice book about keeping things in perspective during all of life's ups and downs. Clearly written from a Christian perspective, but not preachy at all. It also includes points and helps that are not from "Christian" sources (gasp), but quite relevant and helpful. The tips include success tips for your personal life as well as your business.
Very quick read (audiobook is 3 CD's). Mark presented a couple of good ways to examine ones career, business and relationships asking if they going up, down or sideways. Next, a couple of antidotes were presented, but nothing spectacular that would have me rank this book above a middle grade of 3 stars.
Rasha Yousif
It is a very practical book (Light reading) with good mental exercises. I really enjoyed reading it and it has inspired me in many ways.
A great little book about positive thinking, business, and how to get the most out of life, no matter if things are going well, ok, or not great. Discusses how life is always changing, and how to go with the flow and be "successful" according to your definition of what you need to be happy.
Elizabeth Olson
Equal parts philosophical and practical, Sanborn presents a fresh take on staying focused whether life feels up, down, or sideways, and on how, by framing our thoughts, goals and expectations, we can get the most out of our circumstances, whatever they are at this time.
Joel Ungar
Once you get past his happy memories of attending Ohio State and some plaudits for Woody Hayes (AKA Voldemort) this book was very good and a nice companion to The Fred Factor.
Bob Allen
Success self-help book. Compendium of wisdom. Focus is really on defining success (personal scorecard), persistence, discipline. Some good stuff here.
I love how this book can be applied to not only the financial aspect of your life but all aspects of your life. Is definitely worth the read.
May 24, 2012 Olivia added it
Shelves: kindle, self-help
Excellent approach to living successfully with lots of great ideas to get self motivated. I intend to read, think and PRAY each day
Bill Donhiser
A good quick read and wonderfully concise. A good reminder to consciously control your thoughts as they control your outcomes.
Melissa Rose
great book for motivating you at every stage of success. i will definitely return to my notes in the future.
Joseph Iliff
Mark reconnects us to those things that do not change even in chaotic circumstances.
Jan 20, 2012 Jessica marked it as to-read
[free NOOK book!]
Food for thought
SARAVANAN SUNDARARAJAN marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Jessica Whiting
Jessica Whiting marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Anthony Guerrero
Anthony Guerrero marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Darlene Krider
Darlene Krider marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Melanie marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Kgittins marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Leslie Pauley
Leslie Pauley marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
common sense 1 3 Jul 29, 2013 10:24AM
  • Lead with Luv: A Different Way to Create Real Success
  • Instant Self-Hypnosis: How to Hypnotize Yourself with Your Eyes Open
  • Game on: Find Your Purpose--Pursue Your Dream
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • Tales of the Revolution:  True Stories of People who are Poking the Box and Making a Difference
  • Success is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices Change Your Life
  • Getting to No: How to Break a Stubborn Habit
  • The Soulmate Experience: A Practical Guide to Creating Extraordinary Relationships
  • The Mind-Made Prison: Overcoming Limiting Beliefs and Manifesting Personal Transformation
  • Goal Setting: 13 Secrets of World Class Achievers
  • 40 Unforgettable Dates with Your Mate: Creative Ways to Meet the Love Needs of Husbands and Wives
  • 8 to Great: The Powerful Process for Positive Change
  • Make More, Worry Less: Secrets from 18 Extraordinary People Who Created a Bigger Income and a Better Life
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies
  • The Well-Lived Laugh: Designing a Life That Keeps You Smiling
  • 50 Ways to Protect Your Identity in a Digital Age: New Financial Threats You Need to Know and How to Avoid Them
  • The Truth about You: Your Secret to Success [With DVD and Note Pad]
Mark Sanborn is an international known author, motivational speaker, and the president of Sanborn & Associates, Inc., an idea studio for leadership development. He gives nearly one hundred presentations each year on leadership, team building, customer service, and mastering change. Mark and his family live near Denver, Colorado.
More about Mark Sanborn...