Start by marking “World 3.0: Global Prosperity and How to Achieve It” as Want to Read:
World 3.0: Global Prosperity and How to Achieve It

World 3.0: Global Prosperity and How to Achieve It

Since the financial crisis of 2008, many of us have had to reexamine our beliefs about markets and globalization. How integrated should economies really be? How much regulation is right?

Many people fuse these two dimensions of choice into one, either favoring both globalization and deregulation—or opposing both of them.

It doesn’t have to be that way.

In World 3.0, award-win
Published May 3rd 2011 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published April 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about World 3.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World 3.0

Adriaan Jansen
Jun 06, 2015 Adriaan Jansen rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
In World 3.0, Ghemawat argues that the world we live in is not a flat, fully globalized world and that differences and distances are still very relevant. In order to prove this point, Ghemawat provides interesting data to prove that cross-border flows of goods, services, capital, information and people are actually a lot more limited that most of us would intuitively assume. An example: Of all the telephone calling minutes worldwide, less than 2% corresponds to international calls. Several other ...more
Erika RS
Nov 20, 2016 Erika RS rated it liked it
There are books full of thought provoking ideas that are, nonetheless, rather a pain to read. This is one of those. The heart of what made this something of a slog was the way that the many detailed discussions of the data and models felt more like a list than a narrative. That said, the core ideas were worthwhile, and I'll focus on those for the rest of the review.

The thesis of World 3.0 is that we tend to look at the world in fixed ways that aren't particularly useful anymore. The World 3.0 v
Alvaro Berrios
Jul 26, 2013 Alvaro Berrios rated it liked it
If i could give this book 3 1/2 starts that's the actual rating I would give it. I think it's an excellent book, extremely informative and very enlightening. It actually refutes a lot of the claims made in Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat." A book which I initially rated highly, I now think much less of it thanks to Ghemawat's presentations of actual data. As a result, I think anyone who is involved on the global operations of an enterprise needs to read this book. The world is far from boar ...more
Matthew
Dec 23, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the data driven commentary that pervades most of the book. He thoroughly refutes Thomas Friedman's thesis that the world is flat. It clearly is not and the thing that divide us such as culture, language and political institutions will continue to play a major role in international politics and business. By ignoring this fact we are in danger of returning to a world in which global war is a definitive possibility. However, Ghemawat's conclusion leaves the reader wanting. However, if the ...more
Thomas Burky
Jul 10, 2016 Thomas Burky rated it it was amazing
This text gets into the real meat of globalization by examing actual data of global trade rather than the giddy "let's all get together" discussion normal held. The author points out that world trade is not nearly as "globalized" as either its proponents or detractors think and systematically discusses the roles of government and markets with specific case studies. If you are interested in global trade and its impacts this is a great read, but you better pack a lunch because it is very in depth.
Mimi
Feb 03, 2012 Mimi rated it it was amazing
Contains smart data to debunk mainstream views such as Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat" assumption. Ghemewat spells genius, though he does need more down-to-earth, mass appeal to face off with Friedman.

Though a bit technical for non-specialists, World 3.0 is well-edited enough for a persistent lay reader. A must-read for anyone interested in the way the economic world works and technology's role in global affairs, this book makes us delve deeper into the notion of globalization and successf
Christophe Druet
Jun 06, 2016 Christophe Druet rated it it was amazing
This book proposes an alternative world between what I would call the "free-market-freak" and the "protectionist-freak". It encourages to think beyond our inner fears about globalization by looking at facts and figures that clearly shows how the benefits largely outweigh the pretended disadvantages.
Brian
Oct 16, 2011 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting insights, particularly when it comes to debunking misperceptions about just how globalized the world is(n't)...but that doesn't outweigh its business-school, jargon-laden style. I think the first draft of this book was a powerpoint deck. It probably should have stayed that way.
John Favini
Mar 23, 2014 John Favini rated it it was ok
Not a huge fan. Author hails from Harvard Business school and the text is covered with neoliberalism, and quite a few inaccuracies.
BLACK CAT
Dec 09, 2013 BLACK CAT rated it really liked it
Interesting analysis on globalization: what is the current state of globalization, challenges, risks, benefits... It compares view from other authors and also add data to support his ideas.
Nick Urciuoli
Nick Urciuoli rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Dinesh Yalavarthy
Dinesh Yalavarthy rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2013
HH
HH rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Tony
Tony rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Ceena Modarres
Ceena Modarres rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2015
Jeffrey Gill
Jeffrey Gill rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Cain S. Pinto
Cain S. Pinto rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2015
ftrStrategy
ftrStrategy rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2013
Sofisten
Sofisten rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Lois Galindo
Lois Galindo rated it really liked it
May 25, 2013
Jen Jones
Jen Jones rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Fatimah N Alnemer
Fatimah N Alnemer rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Jonathan Mckay
Jonathan Mckay rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2011
Asher
Asher rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Mell
Mell rated it did not like it
Jul 17, 2013
Jackie Lowe
Jackie Lowe rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Jasper Visser
Jasper Visser rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Great Convergence: Asia, the West, and the Logic of One World
  • The Trouble with Africa: Why Foreign Aid Isn't Working
  • Full Planet, Empty Plates: The New Geopolitics of Food Scarcity
  • Coined: The Rich Life of Money and How Its History Has Shaped Us
  • The Crisis Caravan: What's Wrong with Humanitarian Aid?
  • The Business Solution to Poverty: Designing Products and Services for Three Billion New Customers
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
  • The Race for What's Left: The Global Scramble for the World's Last Resources
  • Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compasionate Conservatism Who Gives, Who Doesn't, and Why It Matters
  • What Great Salespeople Do: The Science of Selling Through Emotional Connection and the Power of Story
  • America at the Crossroads: Democracy, Power, and the Neoconservative Legacy
  • The Other Kind of Smart: Simple Ways to Boost Your Emotional Intelligence for Greater Personal Effectiveness and Success
  • How to Spend $50 Billion to Make the World a Better Place
  • Breakout Nations: In Pursuit of the Next Economic Miracles
  • Transformational Speaking: If You Want to Change the World, Tell a Better Story
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • Tempo: Timing, Tactics and Strategy in Narrative-Driven Decision-Making
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life