Start by marking “Bad Moon (Kat Campbell #2)” as Want to Read:
Bad Moon (Kat Campbell #2)

Bad Moon (Kat Campbell #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Published October 11th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Moon

Karen
This is more like 3.5 stars, but I generally round up.

A little boy named Charlie Olmstead disappears from the small town of Perry Hollow on the night Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the moon. Everyone just assumes that he fell into a nearby stream, was carried over a waterfall, and killed. Everyone except his mother, who on her deathbed 40 years later asks her other son (a baby at the time of the disappearance) to find the truth of what happened that night. With the help of a stat...more
Thomas Bruso
On the night Neil Armstrong walked the moon, a little boy named Charlie Olmstead, a resident of Perry Hollow, PA, got on his bike to get a better look, if he could, but the indiscernible horror that followed would make bigger news. Eleven-year-old Charlie would be a missing case.

Weaving backstory and flashbacks with current events, Ritter uses a clever hand at creating suspense, and he is at his best, creatively, with Bad Moon. Much like his first mystery/suspense novel featuring Police Chief Ka...more
Jessie
I just grabbed this book randomly at the library and loved it! The character descriptions are so amazing and the secrets that eveyone on a cul-de-sac in a small town have is awesome. I was speculating through the whole thing what would happen next and was not right often. The twists and turns of this book made for a great read. My only critique would be the ending felt a little rushed with so few pages left it felt like the conclusion was crammed into a smaller amount of pages than it fully need...more
Dottie Gariti
Police chief in a small Pennsylvania town works with a fired State Police detective to solve a forty-year old crime. In spite of the fact that most of the story is highly implausible, this second investigation by the duo is very entertaining. Agatha Christie said that you shouldn't cheat the reader by not providing real clues as the story progresses. The solution for this one comes way out of left field and the motive is pretty weak. Up until that point the detective work and the characters are...more
Kat
Kari Anderson
On the same night that Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the moon, ten-year-old Charlie Olmstead jumped on his bike to see if there was some way he could get a better look. It was the last anyone ever saw of him. After Perry Hollow Police Chief Jim Campbell found Charlie’s bike caught in the water above Sunset Falls, he assumed the worst. Everyone did—except Charlie’s mother.

Years later, Eric Olmstead—now a famous author and Charlie’s younger brother—has come back to Perry Hollow to...more
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Newark Star Ledger reporter Todd Ritter writes his second mystery, Bad Moon. It's a good read circling round the night that Neil Armstrong stepped on to the moon, and a ten year old boy disappeared. His mother spends her life grieving, and on her death, leaves the legacy of grief and remembrance to her younger son.

The town is Perry Hollow, set in Pennsylvania somewhere. The mystery is a good read with memorable characters and good lines. Kat Campbell is the Perry Hollow police chief - her son ha...more
Valeriane
Avec Lune de sang, je découvre Todd Ritter, journaliste américain pour un quotidien du New-Jersey, où il a couvert des enquêtes criminelles. De quoi nourrir son imagination.
L'histoire de Lune de sang prend place le soir du 20 juillet 1969, au moment où Neil Armstrong pose le pied sur la lune. Charlie Olmstead, 9 ans, disparaît. Son vélo sera retrouvé quelques heures plus tard en bas de la chute d'eau en bas de la rivière derrière le quartier de Perry Hollow (New Jersey).
La thèse de l'accident es...more
Dorie
The second book in this new mystery series is again set in Perry Hollow, Pennsylvania and features Police Chief Kat Campbell. The prologue covers a boy gone missing the night that Neil Armstrong takes his first steps on the moon. Ten-year old Charlie Olmstead goes out to see the moon and disappears. His bike is found in the river and Charlie is believed to have drowned accidentally, although his body never surfaces.

More than 40 years later his younger brother Eric is dealing with their mother's...more
Marie
In Bad Moon, Eric Olmstead, now a famous writer, comes back to Perry Hollow to bury his mother and honour her last request...find his long lost brother, Charlie. Charlie disappeared the night Neil Armstrong walked on the moon and hasn't been seen since. At the time, everyone assumed that Charlie went over the falls and drowned. However, his mother wasn't so sure. Now that Eric's come back to wrap things up, he finds out that his mother may have uncovered a string of disappearances that were rela...more
Elizabeth A.
Along with the rest of the world, on July 20, 1969, the residents of Perry Hollow, Pennsylvania were transfixed by the images of Neil Armstrong walking on the moon. One in particular, young Charlie Olmstead, was so overcome with excitement he begged his dad to let him go outside to look at the moon, convinced he’d be able to see Armstrong up there.

His father relented and young Charlie peddled off into the night on his bike, never to be seen again. A subsequent search turned up Charlie’s badly ba...more
Kimberly Hicks
Feb 28, 2013 Kimberly Hicks rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: Goodreads
Shelves: read-on-kindle
What an amazing mystery! This was chock full of everything to satisfy your thrilling needs! A heart-racing great read! OMG, where do I begin?

Chief of Police, Kat Campbell, once again finally getting some much needed law and order after we first were introduced to her while following the serial killer, The Grim Reaper. Perry Hollow was just starting to get some normalcy and most were able to go on about their lives and try to move on from the story that gripped the headlines--for one of their own...more
Sara
Ok, so I won this book a small eternity ago and am finally getting back to where I have time to read again. Have to say, I'm so glad I grabbed this one off my stack. It's fantastic! I was hooked right from the get go. Even better is the fact that I didn't need to read the first book with these characters to still feel like I got the whole story (I will, however, be getting that one next).

The story revolves around a writer whose elder brother died mysteriously over 40 years ago. On his mother's d...more
Sheila Beaumont
On the night of Neil Armstrong's historic walk on the moon, July 20, 1969, 10-year-old Charlie Olmstead, of Perry Hollow, Pennsylvania, goes missing and is presumed drowned in a nearby waterfall. More than 40 years later, it's discovered that five other Pennsylvania boys vanished not long after that, and that the dates of these disappearances all have something in common (I won't say what; you'll have to read the book to find out!).

This stunningly thrilling novel, fast-paced and suspenseful, wit...more
Anthony Kufner
Sep 05, 2014 Anthony Kufner marked it as to-read
signed
Trisha Kirkendoll
Loved this book. Well written, keep you guessing mystery/crime novel about the case of a boy missing for 40 years. I could not put this book down, just had to keep reading to find out who did it and it kept you guessing right up until the last part of the book. Anyone who like mystery or crime novels will like this book. Now that I have read this book I am going to have to read Todd Ritter's first novel Death Notice also and anything else that he writes.
Noëlibrarian
"Yet when he thought about his neighbors, Gracey's world-view started to make sense. Clearly, Becky Santangelo hadn't given them the whole truth. She was hiding more than just her gray hair and crow's feet...he vowed to find out everything his neighbors were hiding."

Ugh.

Suckered in by the reasonably cool premise.
Disappointed by the pedestrian prose.

Gave up on page 141.

Life is too short to read crap.
Lydia
There were a lot of things I really liked about this book, but the seemingly endless number of red herrings/plausible suspects became distracting as the plot streamlined going into the final act. I really liked the character of Kat Campbell and her relationship with Nick, but the subplot with Kat's son, James, seemed undeveloped and more distracting than enlightening about the main characters.
LibraryLady
Kept me riveted! A mother's dying wish is that her son Eric, find his brother, Charlie, who mysteriously disappeared (feared drowned) 42 years ago. Eric must enlist the help of the police chief of his former hometown, Kat, who happens to have been his first love. They discover that their small town is full of secrets and lives begin to unravel as the two work to find out the truth about Charlie.
Diana
This is one of the books I won on goodreads. The author is a very good writer. He kept my attention all the way through. And kept me guessing to what happened. I never would have figured it out! The characters were real..and I got to like most of them. I would buy another of Todd Ritter's books.
Sabrina Mallard
This is one of those books that, once you've solved the mystery, you have to go back and read it again. I think it was brilliantly written. I love the real world time/history references and the mystery that keeps you holding your breath and guessing till the end. I never would have figured it out!
Kelly
Received as first reads give-away.

I loved this book - very engaging, well written characters. The mystery kept me guessing, which is a must for any mystery. And the real guilty party - I didn't see that one coming until the very end! Can't wait for more by this author.
Dominc Bender
This is a great book for those who want an end that will truly surprise them. The events coincide with the lunar landings of the Apollo missions conducted by NASA and the pace of events will have you guessing right up to the end.

Gwen
I couldn't put this book down. I needed to know what happened to Charlie, the boy who was declared dead when he was 10 even though there was no body. Todd Ritter is an author to look out for. There is a lot of potential!
Nov 09, 2011 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I don't consider myself to be a big mystery writer, but sometimes a story appeals to me. This is a good one about a boy gone missing a long time ago. It was well written and interesting and twisty, I finished it in a few hours.
Erik
Good book - lots of twists and turns and red herrings. Numerous times I went, "Oooo, did not see that coming." He does have a previous novel with the same main character/same town. I recommend reading that first.
Started reading Todd Ritter because his books are set in PA and he writes for a news paper I read while vacationing in NJ. Death Notice and Bad Moon are good reads, to be sure...
Fizzyvimto
Exciting and fast paced. I couldn't stop reading until I'd finished it. Great to see how the characters from Death Notice had evolved too. Looking forward to book 3!
Rachael Mcdonnell
Good story. New author to me. This is his second book which I discovered at the Library :)Will keep an eye out for his books in the future. Enjoy.
VeganHiker
I was enjoying this one until the end. I found the resolution of the five missing boys cases rather sudden and not very satisfying.
  • The Immortals (Taylor Jackson, #5)
  • This Dame for Hire
  • The Darkening Field (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev, #2)
  • Attorney-Client Privilege
  • Destined, a novel of the Tarot
  • Raw Desire
  • Without Consent
  • Gridlock (Ryan Lock, #3)
  • Foxy: My Life in Three Acts
  • Faces of the Gone (Carter Ross Mystery #1)
  • Opening Moves (Patrick Bowers Files, #0.5)
  • Waking Hours (East Salem, #1)
  • The Bone Thief (Body Farm, #5)
  • Game Over
  • Pink Boots and a Machete: My Journey From NFL Cheerleader to National Geographic Explorer
  • Atticus for the Undead
  • The Sacred Place
  • Rominus: The Initiation
Todd Ritter was born in rural Pennsylvania to a bank teller mother and a father who dabbled in taxidermy. He grew up among "Bambi"-esque forests and wide-open fields straight out of the cropduster scene from "North by Northwest." Appropriately, his two biggest influences are Walt Disney and Alfred Hitchcock. He lives in suburban New Jersey.
More about Todd Ritter...
Death Notice (Kat Campbell #1) Devil's Night (Kat Campbell #3) Vicious Circle