Start by marking “Wagons Ho!” as Want to Read:
Wagons Ho!

Wagons Ho!

Two girls move from Missouri to Oregon -- one in 1846 and one in 2011. One trip takes five months and the other five days. One trip is in a covered wagon, the other in a car. But both girls will miss their old homes and worry about the long trip. Both girls stop at well-known landmarks and travel the Rocky Mountains. And as each girl reaches her new home, she finds her new ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about Wagons Ho!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wagons Ho!

Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Written in comic comparison, two families move west following the Oregon trail. The comic panes and details provide readers with a graphic look at the similarities and differences between the two trips.
Melanie
A fabulous picture book comparing 2 families who move from Independence, MO to Oregon City, OR via the Oregon Trail. One family is moving in 1846, the other in contemporary times. Comparisons are made regarding moving of the household and traveling. For example, in 1846, families would load up a wagon pulled by oxen, and many belongings would have to be left behind.A contemporary family would rent a trailer to take what they immediately would need and would hire a moving van to bring the rest la ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 23, 2011 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
The story of a family moving from Missouri to Oregon in 1846 and now, is told in two parallel journals that invite comparison and contrast. The ways the two families do things both then and now are very different and yet often the same.

In 1846: “Our trip will take five months from May to September. I’ve heard that some people die on the trail. I hope we survive the journey.”

Now: “We will leave on July 1st. Our trip will take five days, from Monday to Friday. I’ve never been on the road in a car
Jonathon
Apr 04, 2013 Jonathon rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book brings back a lot of memories too. It is talking about traveling the Oregon Trail in 1846, which brings anyone around my age to the thought of the game.
This book compares traveling the Oregon trail in 1846 to traveling now. It compares transportation, pets, recreation and many other things. This book is very educational as far as showing students how people lived and traveled back then.
There is a lot of text on each page. I would recommend this book for slightly older readers... like 2
Sarah W
Jan 05, 2012 Sarah W rated it liked it
Shelves: moving, picture-book, 2011
This story could be used in connection with social studies, transportation or even math (distance and time). Everything the girl from 1846 had to deal with makes what the contemporary character has to deal with seem really trivial.

I liked some of the pictures where the two are visiting the same place at the same time, such as Chimney Rock and Independence Rock.
Kristen
I'm including this on my non-fiction shelf, even though the storylines are obviously fiction, because it's full of information to use in "then and now" units, for those studying the Oregon Trail, life in pioneer days, etc. It compares the journeys of two families, one in 1846 and one in current times, as they travel from Missouri to Oregon. Fun for kids to compare the two.
Bethe
bookaday #13. 2 families move from Missouri to Oregon, 150 years apart. A great way to connect students to the hazards of travel in pioneer times by comparing it to today's travel standards. Add this book to westward expansion units.
Shelli
Nov 25, 2011 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Picture book showing comparative stores of a pioneer family and a modern family during their travel across the Oregon Trail. Five Months vs. Five Days should make any child pause to appreciate all of the modern conveniences that we have today.
Sofia
Apr 09, 2012 Sofia rated it it was amazing
"I liked the most when they were writing their name in the rock and the brother thought his name was going to stay there for a hundred years. I liked when Katie said that 'if you want to make him steam just call him Rosebud'. That's all."
-As told to mami by Sofia.
Autumn
Aug 03, 2013 Autumn rated it it was amazing
This book isn't for every kid--it wasn't for mine! But I loved it and wished my kids had. It tells the story in two time periods on opposite pages where a little girl in our modern time moves west and a pioneer girl in a covered wagon moving west with her family.
Kari
Aug 03, 2012 Kari rated it liked it
Personally, I found it long and tedious. However; my kids keep asking for it again and again, so I guess we like it! It's interested. Just LONG!
Kate Hastings
Sep 02, 2011 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Grades 2-5. Great tie with Pioneer unit. Compares travel and moving in today's world with what a family would have done in 1846. Comic-book style illustrations and packed with facts.
Serina
Jun 29, 2012 Serina rated it it was ok
More like a non fiction book. It's a book you'd scan, not read.
Karen
Does a really good job of making the differences between the past and present vivid as two girls separated by more than a century travel to Oregon.
Lizzie
Jun 27, 2014 Lizzie rated it really liked it
A modern girl and pioneer girl have parallel journeys to the West. A fun read for a trip or good for scanning. Great too for a early lesson on compare and contrast.
Aimee Owen
Mar 24, 2012 Aimee Owen rated it liked it
Two girls take the same journey west, but at different times and under different conditions.
Ana
Oct 25, 2011 Ana rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Loved the illustrated split narrative and the comparisons between 1846 and present day. Really puts the comforts we are so accostumed to when we travel and go about our daily lives into perspective!
Mary
May 02, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Compares traveling to Oregon on the Oregon trail and a modern family traveling to Oregon by car.
Becky
Mar 12, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute story comparing traveling across the country to Oregon in 1846 and now.
Aletha
Aletha rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2012
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
Miss Melissa
Miss Melissa rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2011
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2011
Krysten
Krysten rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Mercy
Mercy rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2011
Kayla
Kayla rated it liked it
May 20, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Sofia
Sofia rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Kristan
Kristan rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2012
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2012