3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Two girls move from Missouri to Oregon -- one in 1846 and one in 2011. One trip takes five months and the other five days. One trip is in a covered wagon, the other in a car. But both girls will miss their old homes and worry about the long trip. Both girls stop at well-known landmarks and travel the Rocky Mountains. And as each girl reaches her new home, she finds her new...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Albert Whitman & Company

Melanie
A fabulous picture book comparing 2 families who move from Independence, MO to Oregon City, OR via the Oregon Trail. One family is moving in 1846, the other in contemporary times. Comparisons are made regarding moving of the household and traveling. For example, in 1846, families would load up a wagon pulled by oxen, and many belongings would have to be left behind.A contemporary family would rent a trailer to take what they immediately would need and would hire a moving van to bring the rest la...more
Lizzie
A modern girl and pioneer girl have parallel journeys to the West. A fun read for a trip or good for scanning. Great too for a early lesson on compare and contrast.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The story of a family moving from Missouri to Oregon in 1846 and now, is told in two parallel journals that invite comparison and contrast. The ways the two families do things both then and now are very different and yet often the same.

In 1846: “Our trip will take five months from May to September. I’ve heard that some people die on the trail. I hope we survive the journey.”

Now: “We will leave on July 1st. Our trip will take five days, from Monday to Friday. I’ve never been on the road in a car...more
Jonathon
This book brings back a lot of memories too. It is talking about traveling the Oregon Trail in 1846, which brings anyone around my age to the thought of the game.
This book compares traveling the Oregon trail in 1846 to traveling now. It compares transportation, pets, recreation and many other things. This book is very educational as far as showing students how people lived and traveled back then.
There is a lot of text on each page. I would recommend this book for slightly older readers... like 2...more
Kris
I'm including this on my non-fiction shelf, even though the storylines are obviously fiction, because it's full of information to use in "then and now" units, for those studying the Oregon Trail, life in pioneer days, etc. It compares the journeys of two families, one in 1846 and one in current times, as they travel from Missouri to Oregon. Fun for kids to compare the two.
Sarah W
This story could be used in connection with social studies, transportation or even math (distance and time). Everything the girl from 1846 had to deal with makes what the contemporary character has to deal with seem really trivial.

I liked some of the pictures where the two are visiting the same place at the same time, such as Chimney Rock and Independence Rock.
Autumn
This book isn't for every kid--it wasn't for mine! But I loved it and wished my kids had. It tells the story in two time periods on opposite pages where a little girl in our modern time moves west and a pioneer girl in a covered wagon moving west with her family.
Sofia
"I liked the most when they were writing their name in the rock and the brother thought his name was going to stay there for a hundred years. I liked when Katie said that 'if you want to make him steam just call him Rosebud'. That's all."
-As told to mami by Sofia.
Shelli
Picture book showing comparative stores of a pioneer family and a modern family during their travel across the Oregon Trail. Five Months vs. Five Days should make any child pause to appreciate all of the modern conveniences that we have today.
Bethe
bookaday #13. 2 families move from Missouri to Oregon, 150 years apart. A great way to connect students to the hazards of travel in pioneer times by comparing it to today's travel standards. Add this book to westward expansion units.
Ana
Loved the illustrated split narrative and the comparisons between 1846 and present day. Really puts the comforts we are so accostumed to when we travel and go about our daily lives into perspective!
Kate Hastings
Grades 2-5. Great tie with Pioneer unit. Compares travel and moving in today's world with what a family would have done in 1846. Comic-book style illustrations and packed with facts.
Karen
Does a really good job of making the differences between the past and present vivid as two girls separated by more than a century travel to Oregon.
Kari
Personally, I found it long and tedious. However; my kids keep asking for it again and again, so I guess we like it! It's interested. Just LONG!
Mary
Compares traveling to Oregon on the Oregon trail and a modern family traveling to Oregon by car.
Aimee Owen
Two girls take the same journey west, but at different times and under different conditions.
Becky
Cute story comparing traveling across the country to Oregon in 1846 and now.
Serina
More like a non fiction book. It's a book you'd scan, not read.
Flora
Read with Peppo
Read with Mama
Mackenzie
Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Nataly
Nataly marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Crystal Price
Crystal Price marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013