Start by marking “Build a Better Life by Stealing Office Supplies” as Want to Read:
Build a Better Life by Stealing Office Supplies

Build a Better Life by Stealing Office Supplies (Dilbert #2)

Anyone who ever toiled in the office "environment" will identify with the ironclad axioms put forth by Dogbert in this collection of office wisdom. So, move over Murphy's Law, and forget about the One-Minute Manager, Dogbert is taking the business-book business by storm.
Published October 1st 1992 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published November 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Build a Better Life by Stealing Office Supplies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Build a Better Life by Stealing Office Supplies

Mike
Jul 19, 2016 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-series
Definitely older Dilbert. Number 2 of the books. Continued fun, but very focused on Dogbert's lessons on business.
Steven
Dogbert, the sociopathic business executive.
Ana Mardoll
Aug 02, 2011 Ana Mardoll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Build a Better Life by Stealing Office Supplies / 0836217578

Recently I started re-reading my Dilbert collections; this is the second collection of unique strips by my count, but they're not precisely Dilbert strips in the traditional sense: each page is a single 4-panel strip where the first panel is Dogbert explaining a rule of business.

The strips are very funny and actually sadly seem quite a "spot on" reflection, even dated as this volume is. I do wish that there was less of a reliance on fe
John
Apr 23, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is weird to see Dilbert's work place from over 20 years ago. There seems to be some version of the pointy-haired boss, but his hair is not yet pointy. He also isn't as clueless, and seems a little bigger and meaner. Dogbert, of course is there (he IS on the cover), but he hadn't yet developed into self-serving mastermind he is today. There are no other regular characters - no Wally, Alice, Ratbert,or Asok.
The material seems to be written just for this book, not a compilation of previously pub
Angie
Dec 04, 2007 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has ever worked in an office or any work setting can find humor in the Dilbert comics and directly relate to many of the situations. Scott Adams has a great way of ridiculing all that is ridiculous in business. I think most execs would do well to read this, before implementing the next big project (and wasting money) to understand their personnel better than any team-building exercise will ever offer.
Brentman99
Sep 24, 2016 Brentman99 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that Dilbert is so funny because the stuff is true. I read this while attending a project management course and within a few minutes I found a couple of strips that applied directly to what I was working on.

If you work in an office environment, there will be more than a few laughs and moments of nodding in agreement. Scott Adams's office humour is real. Enjoy.
Sam
Aug 23, 2009 Sam rated it really liked it
a gud laugh from boldly honest comic strip,
ini cerita yg selalu muncul di koran KOMPAS klo ga salah, suka bgt bacanya mpe kdg2 klo ada yg baca di sebelah sempet2in take a peek, hihi... tho kdg joke-nya tlalu tinggi jd agak susah dijangkau tp gambarnya yg satire sudah cukup menghibur :D

thx buat Om Tomo yg dah rela meminjamkannya :)
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all might have started out like Calvin with a great view of life. But after hitting the workforce we all somewhat become Dilbert. Everyone knows someone like one of the characters in the strips. Highly recommended
Amber the Human
Cute. Not the comic strip from the paper, this was much more of a book. Also, in the forward, or somewhere in the book, it says that Adams worked as a temp at a company for two weeks, but I'm pretty sure he worked at AT&T for years, and that's where his fodder came from.
Erik
Mar 14, 2015 Erik rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
covers a lot of topics, pretty inciteful

the animation is early, but the humor is there. i was expecting some pretty unfunny stuff ala early garlfield.

"sick days are just vacation days with sound effects"

*coughs*
Dogsandbooks
What to say except that this guy is the funniest and most insightful commentator on business in the 90's of anyone writing today. This is the first book and it shows his great promise. See esp "how to make your boring job seem dangerous." This review was originally written in 1994.
Jessica
Hilarious and informative. There is no better practical guide to navigating corporate America than Dogbert and this guidebook. I no longer fear spending the next 20 years in a cubicle, for I am totally prepared. Thank you Dogbert, I owe you one.
rabbitprincess
This collection contains one of the truest strips ever: Dogbert's Theory of Mondays.
Sophia W
Aug 03, 2015 Sophia W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read once on August 2 2015
Merrily Carlson
It's fun to read the older ones and see how much Scott Adams has evolved.
Deepthi
Oct 20, 2008 Deepthi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hilarious..in true Scott Adams's style.
Andreia
Definitely added a few chuckles to my day.
Tim
Jul 12, 2007 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
my life hasn't improved one bit using this technique. Does anyone want to buy a stapler?
Milind Wadhwana
Georgene
Dec 28, 2016 Georgene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
A blast from the past! An oldie but a goodie. Enough of the cliches. A fun, quick read that still holds up today.
Jessica J
Jun 08, 2008 Jessica J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
This was a funny book of cartoons by the author of Dilbert. It is scary how relevant to my current job.
David
Jan 05, 2010 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I forgot how this book ended up on my reading list, but I didn't find it particularly hilarious.
Neeti
Feb 21, 2016 Neeti rated it really liked it
vintage dilbert. amazing how well this guy who presumably hates cubicles can pigeonhole corporateurs. double thumbs up for a good chuckle of the black kind.
Bala Variyam
Dec 30, 2015 Bala Variyam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Older versions of all characters; but witty and sharp as usual!
Ubalstecha
Usual Dilbert brilliances. Fun.
Bridget Chase
Bridget Chase rated it liked it
May 13, 2012
T.d. Thomas
T.d. Thomas rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2012
Rich Pratt
Rich Pratt rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2011
Nandita
Nandita rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Mari
Mari rated it liked it
May 13, 2010
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count Needed for ISBN 0886876370 3 10 Sep 28, 2013 12:31PM
  • Wildly FoxTrot
  • Politically, Fashionably, and Aerodynamically Incorrect: The First Outland Collection
  • Night of the Crash-Test Dummies
  • User Friendly

Adams was born in Windham, New York in 1957 and received his Bachelor's degree in Economics from Hartwick College in 1979.

He also studied economics and management for his 1986 MBA from the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley.

In recent years, Ada
More about Scott Adams...

Dilbert (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • Always Postpone Meetings with Time-Wasting Morons
  • Dogbert's Clues for the Clueless
  • Shave the Whales
  • Bring Me the Head of Willy the Mailboy!
  • It's Obvious You Won't Survive by Your Wits Alone
  • Still Pumped from Using the Mouse
  • Fugitive from the Cubicle Police
  • Casual Day Has Gone Too Far
  • Seven Years of Highly Defective People: Scott Adams' Guided Tour of the Evolution of Dilbert
  • I'm Not Anti-Business, I'm Anti-Idiot