Start by marking “Hearts of Lions” as Want to Read:
Hearts of Lions

Hearts of Lions

Recounts the development of bicycle racing in the U.S., explains why its popularity faded, and includes profiles of major American cyclists of the past.
Paperback
Published January 24th 1990 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published June 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Hearts of Lions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hearts of Lions

Andrew
Oct 30, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
I have been an avid road cyclist for 37 years. On a recent ride, a driver in a car behind me skidded, lost control, and crashed into me. I was thrown into a ditch. Amazingly, I didn't suffer a concussion (wear helmets!), break a bone, or suffer an internal injury. However, I was badly cut, suffered major abrasions, and many deep bruises.

I share this because one of my good friends and cycling buddies gave me this book to read as I mended. Seeing the title, I knew the message was, "Get back on the
Deb
Dec 31, 2009 Deb rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book. I learned a lot about the history of cycling and about some real athletes. I was lucky enough to meet the granddaughter of Major with in a few months of reading this book about 15 years ago. I think that anyone would enjoy this book, cyclist or not, athlete or not. Cycling was a huge part of our nation's past and very few people even know that cycling was once THE sport. This book is a very well written biography of a really worthy athletic hero.
Michael W.
Sep 25, 2007 Michael W. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction-read
An amazing history of American bicycle racing from before the turn of the century up to the dawn of the big American presence on the European racing scene in the mid 1980s.
The descriptions of the incredible athletes and personalities of the sport from Major Taylor to Davis Phinney and Greg LeMond make this book a must for any bicycle racing fan.
Robert St cyr
Jan 09, 2016 Robert St cyr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the first books I ever read on the history of bicycle racing in the US. It fostered a love an interest in bicycle history that has only grown deeper with the passing of time. Little did I know that decades later I would have the privilege of handling and viewing many of the bicycles and ephemera featured in this book from the US bicycling Hall of Fame.
Kevin
Mar 26, 2008 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Well-researched and totally interesting. Published in 1988, you'll never see the words "Lance Armstrong" on any of the pages.
I think this has been out of print for a while but it's not hard to come by. Found my copy through an Amazon seller a couple years ago for 5 bucks.
Rob
May 22, 2010 Rob rated it liked it
Shelves: cycling
Favorite tidbit: The Salt Palace was originally constructed out of salt and housed Utah's mineral samples and was the ticket booth for the hugely popular velodrome behind.
Robert Frick
Robert Frick rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2011
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2008
Zak Mohr
Zak Mohr rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Zoe
Jun 18, 2007 Zoe rated it really liked it
The one and only, the classic.
Leland Beaumont
Leland Beaumont rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Carl Jones
Carl Jones rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2014
Jtomassetti
Jtomassetti rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2010
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2009
Michael Szpir
Michael Szpir rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2010
Jonny99kaplan
Jonny99kaplan rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Andrew Homan
Andrew Homan rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2009
Ron S
Ron S rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Mark Silver
Mark Silver rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Mike Sachse
Mike Sachse rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Maura
Maura is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2008
Hero
Hero added it
Nov 16, 2010
Yann2
Yann2 added it
Oct 27, 2011
Scott Rudy
Scott Rudy marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Doug Wright
Doug Wright marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Todd
Todd added it
Oct 18, 2016
Charles Halliburton
Charles Halliburton marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2016