Start by marking “Georgy Girl” as Want to Read:
Georgy Girl

Georgy Girl

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Georgy is young, gregarious and fun - she is also large, self-confessedly ugly and desperate for love. Georgy bears her fate bravely as she alternates between playing the fool and humbling herself before Meredith, her pretty, callous flatmate, although when James, middle-aged socialite and self-imposed 'Uncle', asks Georgy to become his mistress, she is tempted to accept. ...more
Published April 7th 2005 by Vintage (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Georgy Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Georgy Girl

Kiwiflora
'Hey there Georgy Girl, There's another Georgy deep inside, Bring out all the love you hide, and oh what a change there'd be, the world would see a new Georgy Girl'. Anyone growing up in the 1960s and 1970s would instantly recognise that song by the Seekers, from the film by the same name. Being a little girl myself at the time, I always wondered about this Georgy Girl person, and then I found this book! This is Margaret Forster's third book, published way back in 1965 when she was only in her m ...more
Caroline Philippone
Well my tablet died, and this happened to be in my bag at work.

I really loved a good chunk of this book, in part because I didn't love all the characters. Georgy is my age in the book, and perhaps that is why I liked her a bit more. I think the ending was very honest, in a way, but because of the way it turned out, I couldn't whole heartedly give it five stars. I did love the writing style, and the descriptive nature of Margaret Forster's writing though.
Karen
Amy
First saw the movie in my early 20s, and despite the chirpy, encouraging iconic theme song, it was horribly depressing. I've found the book to be no less sad. In fact, the film is very true to the original story. I'd say it makes no difference if you watch the film first.

Very quick read. Pop literature that I'm guessing truly captures mod London. It just doesn't leave me with much in the end. The sadness has no real depth or meaning. If it had done just a tiny bit more, I'd give it five stars.
Roberta
With the exception of "Dances With Wolves", I've never seen a movie that goes by the book as much as "Georgy Girl". Meredith is despicable; Georgy is pathetic; James is arrogant; Ted is a syncophant; Doris is miserable; Peg is a prying slob, and Jos is irresponsible and unfeeling. The only character who has any redeeming qualities at all is baby Sara. Just give her time - being related to that bunch.
☯Bettie☯
BBC BLURB: By Margaret Forster Dramatised by Rhiannon Tise Jos has Georgy all to himself once again but having to care for a baby has changed everything and a frustrated Jos takes drastic action.

Directed by Tracey Neale

The Story:

As part of our British New Wave season the Fifteen Minute Drama brings to the Radio 4 airwaves the compelling story of Georgina Parkin. Georgy is twenty-seven. Brought up in Kensington by her parents, Ted and Doris who are live-in servants of rich socialite James. She li
Ruth
c1965. Ms Forster is married to another writer, Hunter Davies. This book certainly seems to have captured the flavour of the groovy 60s. I have to admit though that everytime I see this book, I want to burst into the song of the same name. Hey there, Georgy Girl!!
Ivan
A bit harsh. The film sticks right to this story - a very faithful adaptation. My favorite character was actually James (the character played by James Mason in the film).
Kirsty Darbyshire

Forster's first book wasn't what I expected it to be. I enjoyed it but much prefer the things she went on to write.

Sue
Didn't bother to finish - maybe will at a later date - too predicivtive.
Drewzel
I read this years ago as a teenager, so it's also on my "to read" list.
Clarissa
Clarissa marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Aleksandra
Aleksandra marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Sep 25, 2014
Jesse Wade
Jesse Wade marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Maria Principe-falcione
Maria Principe-falcione marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Alice Petherbridge
Alice Petherbridge marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Lucy F
Lucy F added it
Aug 03, 2014
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Lioness
Lioness marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Kelsey Spencer
Kelsey Spencer marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Tracey
Tracey added it
Sep 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Margaret Forster was educated at the Carlisle and County High School for Girls. From here she won an Open Scholarship to Somerville College, Oxford where in 1960 she was awarded an honours degree in History. The day after she finished her final exams, she married the writer Hunter Davies, whom she met and fell in love with at the age of 17.

Since 1963 Margaret Forster has worked as a novelist, biog
More about Margaret Forster...
Lady's Maid Diary Of An Ordinary Woman Daphne du Maurier Keeping the World Away The Memory Box