Start by marking “Georgy Girl” as Want to Read:
Georgy Girl

Georgy Girl

Georgy is young, gregarious and fun - she is also large, self-confessedly ugly and desperate for love. Georgy bears her fate bravely as she alternates between playing the fool and humbling herself before Meredith, her pretty, callous flatmate, although when James, middle-aged socialite and self-imposed 'Uncle', asks Georgy to become his mistress, she is tempted to accept. ...more
Published April 7th 2005 by Vintage (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Georgy Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Georgy Girl

Stephanie
Feb 28, 2016 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Shelves: tried-to-read
Awful, just awful. This is the 2nd Margaret Foster book I've read, and I think it is my last. Why are all her female protagonists such dopey, clueless doormats? I give up.
Kiwiflora
May 16, 2012 Kiwiflora rated it liked it
'Hey there Georgy Girl, There's another Georgy deep inside, Bring out all the love you hide, and oh what a change there'd be, the world would see a new Georgy Girl'. Anyone growing up in the 1960s and 1970s would instantly recognise that song by the Seekers, from the film by the same name. Being a little girl myself at the time, I always wondered about this Georgy Girl person, and then I found this book! This is Margaret Forster's third book, published way back in 1965 when she was only in her m ...more
Caroline Philippone
Jan 14, 2014 Caroline Philippone rated it really liked it
Well my tablet died, and this happened to be in my bag at work.

I really loved a good chunk of this book, in part because I didn't love all the characters. Georgy is my age in the book, and perhaps that is why I liked her a bit more. I think the ending was very honest, in a way, but because of the way it turned out, I couldn't whole heartedly give it five stars. I did love the writing style, and the descriptive nature of Margaret Forster's writing though.
PrettyFlamingo
Jul 14, 2016 PrettyFlamingo rated it liked it
Though I have read and really love Forster’s family history stories, I had never picked up this book. I’m not at all sure it is what I was expecting, however, and I am still not sure what to make of it. Was it meant as a social commentary? Or was it the earliest form of chick lit? It has all the ingredients for it – young woman in London, trying to make her way in the world, two men to choose from, bitchy female friend – what will she do with her life? On the face of it, it isn’t that different ...more
Karen
May 24, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok
Kate
Jul 11, 2016 Kate rated it liked it
Not an uplifting tale but then it didn't claim to be! I would certainly like to watch the film version to see how characters are portrayed compared to my vision of these rather dysfunctional lives as portrayed by Margaret Forster.
Lulu Respall-turner
In comparison with 'Keeping the World Away' this book did not engage me very much. The characters I found tiresome and not so interesting, including Georgina/George. I acknowledge that at the time this was published, it was hailed as a ground-breaking work. I guess it was something new in its quirkiness, both in plot and characters.
Ellen
Feb 10, 2016 Ellen marked it as to-read
Shelves: want-to-read
The author's NYT obit piqued my curiosity.
Amy
Jun 29, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
First saw the movie in my early 20s, and despite the chirpy, encouraging iconic theme song, it was horribly depressing. I've found the book to be no less sad. In fact, the film is very true to the original story. I'd say it makes no difference if you watch the film first.

Very quick read. Pop literature that I'm guessing truly captures mod London. It just doesn't leave me with much in the end. The sadness has no real depth or meaning. If it had done just a tiny bit more, I'd give it five stars.
Roberta
May 19, 2009 Roberta rated it liked it
With the exception of "Dances With Wolves", I've never seen a movie that goes by the book as much as "Georgy Girl". Meredith is despicable; Georgy is pathetic; James is arrogant; Ted is a syncophant; Doris is miserable; Peg is a prying slob, and Jos is irresponsible and unfeeling. The only character who has any redeeming qualities at all is baby Sara. Just give her time - being related to that bunch.
Bettie☯
BBC BLURB: By Margaret Forster Dramatised by Rhiannon Tise Jos has Georgy all to himself once again but having to care for a baby has changed everything and a frustrated Jos takes drastic action.

Directed by Tracey Neale

The Story:

As part of our British New Wave season the Fifteen Minute Drama brings to the Radio 4 airwaves the compelling story of Georgina Parkin. Georgy is twenty-seven. Brought up in Kensington by her parents, Ted and Doris who are live-in servants of rich socialite James. She li
Ruth
Aug 25, 2012 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
c1965. Ms Forster is married to another writer, Hunter Davies. This book certainly seems to have captured the flavour of the groovy 60s. I have to admit though that everytime I see this book, I want to burst into the song of the same name. Hey there, Georgy Girl!!
Ivan
Nov 18, 2011 Ivan rated it really liked it
A bit harsh. The film sticks right to this story - a very faithful adaptation. My favorite character was actually James (the character played by James Mason in the film).
Ruth
I seen the film years ago and loved it. After reading the book, I realized I didn't like any of the characters... but the writing style was just perfect !
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 07, 2010 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book

Forster's first book wasn't what I expected it to be. I enjoyed it but much prefer the things she went on to write.

93bcn
Mar 09, 2009 93bcn rated it it was ok
Here's my review.
Sue
Oct 26, 2011 Sue rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't bother to finish - maybe will at a later date - too predicivtive.
Drewzel
I read this years ago as a teenager, so it's also on my "to read" list.
Suzie Joughin
Suzie Joughin marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Kirsty
Kirsty marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Jennim
Jennim added it
Sep 03, 2016
Cleo Bannister
Cleo Bannister rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Judit Rozsonits
Judit Rozsonits marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Keili Rae
Keili Rae marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Melinda Borie
Melinda Borie marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
  • Alfie
  • The Trouble with Angels
  • Cal
  • Green for Danger
  • Anybody Can Do Anything (Betty MacDonald Memoirs, #3)
  • Seventeen
  • Flanders Point
Margaret Forster was educated at the Carlisle and County High School for Girls. From here she won an Open Scholarship to Somerville College, Oxford where in 1960 she was awarded an honours degree in History.

From 1963 Margaret Forster worked as a novelist, biographer and freelance literary critic, contributing regularly to book programmes on television, to Radio 4 and various newpapers and magazin
More about Margaret Forster...