The Hollow

The Hollow (Hercule Poirot #25)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  7,712 ratings  ·  348 reviews
Lady Angkatell, intrigued by the criminal mind, has invited Hercule Poirot to her estate for a weekend house party. The Belgian detective's arrival at the Hollow is met with an elaborate tableau staged for his amusement: a doctor lies in a puddle of red paint, his timid wife stands over his body with a gun while the other guests look suitably shocked. But this is no charad...more
Paperback, Agatha Christie 100th Anniversary Edition, 231 pages
Published by Berkley Books (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Hollow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hollow

Erin ♥ (Paperback Stash)
This one holds an almost dreamy ambience, especially at the end. It reminds me of Death in the Nile with that rare quality. It's true that it DID take longer than usual to get to the actual death, but it's an unusual Christie story anyway. She delves into the personal aspects of the characters lives, something she rarely does, even to the degree where the details became irrelevant to the mystery at hand.

You might think this would be distracting, bad writing; instead, it was a refreshing change....more
Bruce
Jacques Barzun called this novel "a triumph of her [Christie's] art" and I enthusiastically second that judgment. In-depth characterization is perilous in a detective story, where the main interest is the mystery. But with Christie characterization is an integral part of the plot, thus the "art" Barzun refers to. In The Hollow, for instance, a romance is superbly delineated and of great interest by itself. It is also interwoven with the crime both in terms of motive and metaphorically.

A detectiv...more
Ivonne Rovira
In The Hollow — originally published as Murder After Hours — Christie paints the perfect picture of a bullying, narcissistic husband and his co-dependent doormat wife. Dr. John Christow, a research scientist in the midst of a mid-life crisis, takes his anxiety out by hectoring his poor dim-witted but adoring wife Gerda. The Christows head off to a weekend at a country home called The Hollow, owned by Lady Lucy Angkatell. Also visiting are John’s new mistress, a sculptor named Henrietta Savernake...more
Laurel Young
Standing ovation for this one--outstanding; really one of her very best. And how fabulously creepy is the quotation from Tennyson's Maude, which provides the title?

I hate the dreadful hollow behind the little wood,
Its lips in the field above are dabbled with blood-red heath,
The red-ribb`d ledges drip with a silent horror of blood,
And Echo there, whatever is ask`d her, answers "Death."

I love Christie's literary allusions; I was inspired to re-read Maude after I finished The Hollow. What myste...more
3houd
I chose The Hollow to be the first book of Agatha's that I read in its original language. I've read all of Agatha's books but a few, all translated in Arabic, and I had a slight fear that I wouldn't like it in English. But I liked it much better in English.

I've seen the adaptation of The Hollow some years ago. I liked it very much, and naturally when I read the book two days ago I had a very clear idea about the ending.
But my previous knowledge didn't prepare me for the actual depth of the novel...more
holly
Personally, after reading many many many many of christie's books, The Hollow is undoubtedly my favorite. The characters are so well developed and i love the way they all interact. My favorites of her books are always set in the big country house with enigmatic people, and of course the one and only Hercule Poirot. Pure enjoyment.
Gracia
One of my favourite Poirot's for the delicious cast of characters, Lucy Angkatell in particular.

"'We are only, as she knows, moderately fond of caramel custard. There would be something very gross, just after the death of a frend, in eating one's favourite pudding. But caramel custard is so easy — slippery if you know what I mean — and then one leaves a little on one's plate.'"

Perfect.
Hannah
Agatha Christie may always be my favorite mystery-writer. I don't know how anyone couldn't enjoy her writing, from stuffy old teachers to teenagers who just want to enjoy something intriguing and easily page-turning. She's the sort of writer who, every other page, I emit a sudden gasp and clutch the book closer to me; she's the sort of writer who once I start reading, it's hardly possible for me to set the book down anytime soon; and she's the sort of writer who, no matter what the book is or wh...more
Sherri Rabinowitz
Jul 22, 2011 Sherri Rabinowitz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I had seen the David Suchet version and really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the book and there were some points in it that struck me that I would never had gotten had I just seen the tv movie. This my own little thing that has been running in my head...

I think Agatha put a lot more of herself in the book then she meant to, I saw her as both Gerda and Edward for different reasons. John Cristow was Archie, and from what I have read she was the worhshiper just as Gerda was. He tumbled off the pedis...more
Earnie Painter
I'm working my way through the Hercule Poirot novels. I've made it through more than half of them. With The Hollow I think I've stumbled across the point in which the author, Agatha Christie, has learned to hate Poirot. (I really need to read her autobiography for myself.) She wrote and said a few colorful things about her most popular character, and not all of them are very nice.

What I found most interesting about this particular Poirot novel is how completely superfluous he actually is. She de...more
Jim
4 of 5 stars for the Audio Book of The Hollow: A Hercule Poirot Mystery. Agatha Christie's chief detective Hercule Poirot arrives at a garden party in a community called The Hollow. At the moment of his arrival he finds a dead man with several people standing around one with a gun in her hand. Immediately she throws the gun into the near-by swimming pool. So much for fingerprints on the murder weapon; or is it the murder weapon? As with all of the Poirot stories, they are set in the 1930 or 1940...more
Pamela
I've read this a few times already, but it never ceases to fascinate me. What got me this time was the pure malevolence of Lucy. So sweet. So charming. Such a good hostess. And without a doubt, a complete sociopath (or is it psychopath?).

(OK. I have to take back the bit about a good hostess since she was considering killing one of her guests so things wouldn't be so difficult for her cousin.)

To me, she is one of the most frightening characters ever created. Forget about Hannibal....Lucy has him...more
Meave
Mostly good. Sort of a waste using Poirot in this, just like Miss Marple in Five Little Pigs. The whole Henrietta-tortured-artist business was quite trying, though I did like Midge's irritation with her rich relatives giving her life advice all the time. Henrietta's ultimate worship of John "as himself" was super-lame--he was a selfish jerkbag and didn't appreciate (or therefore deserve) any of the nice things he had.

The anti-Semitism with Midge's boss--"a Jewess from Whitechapel"--was a pleasan...more
Ririn
Finished another adventure with M. Poirot.

Full of complex characters. This is the first book of Poirot that I read that didn't make Poirot as the main character. All the investigation was held by Inspector Grange and his gang of police force. Poirot was still there, still doing his thing but not actively. The whole story was dominated by the Angkatells.

And as Poirot said through his observation, this tragedy was either very simple or it was very complex. As it turned out, it was both.
Vanessa
Although we don't see as much of Hercule Poirot as in other Chritie novels, this is an excellent mystery with a delightful cast of characters. A fine example of her work. I was hooked from start to finish.
LeeAnn
I just finished reading The Hollow for the first time and I'm feeling rather ambivalent about it so I read some other reviewers instead of immediately writing anything. I think I've got a better handle on my discontent.

You see, I knew who did it and how it would end about halfway through the book. This is my fourth Agatha Christie mystery, and I'm starting to get her style.

I've also read a Ms. Marple mystery and really liked her. Poirot's involvement, to quote another reviewer, seemed superflu...more
Jonathan
When it was first published in 1946, Agatha Christie’s 22nd Hercule Poirot mystery was originally titled The Hollow. In the 1950s, however, Dell reprinted it under the more titillating title Murder after Hours. What they really should have called it was “Murder after 90 Pages,” because that’s how long it took for someone to finally freaking die. After that the book was pretty darn good, but getting up to that point was a hard slog.

The first 90 pages of the book (sans death and destruction and in...more
Aditya Shukla
This novel of Agatha Christie has a wide variety of colorful and well-developed characters ranging from the confused Dr. Christow to the spiteful Veronica Cray to hardworking Midge Hardcastle. But perhaps the two most interesting characters who appear in The Hollow are Lady Lucy Angkatell and Henrietta Savenake. The former is an airhead and likes envisioning the life of others (there's a lot of food involved) and does not hesitate to manipulate others for the sake of her own entertainment! The s...more
Kristensilvermoore
I really enjoyed this Hercule Poirot mystery and would definitely put it in the top 10 of my favorite Agatha Christie novels. The characters were interesting and well fleshed out, and the build up to the murder, which is more gradual than some of her other novels, kept me interested. Also, her attention to the psychology of the matter is much more subtle and nuanced than in some of her other, earlier novels. (I'm just guessing they were earlier, because they practically beat you over the head wi...more
Rory
HAR. I can totally use the same review I just did for "Five Little Pigs." But I should add...this book is different. It's BARELY a Poirot novel--his presence is late, slight, and fairly arbitrary. Christie was obviously trying her hand at a more intense, more psychologically bare mystery. And there's a lot of, "But the man had something undeniably ALIVE about him, all the same" crap. But it's still a puzzler, and a great one.

* * * * *
I was pretty sure I'd remember whodunnit, since I JUST saw a f...more
Jeremy Reed
Agatha Christie never disappoints. The Hollow is one of my favorite novels of all time. For those of you expecting a great mystery, you won't be disappointed as the entire story does indeed revolve around a murder. But what drives this story are the incredibly complex characters. Even the great Hercule Poirot is a very small part of this story as he doesn't even show up til the last few chapters. When Agatha Christie wrote the play adaptation of this, she cut Poirot out as he wasn't needed, due...more
Mandy
A really good plot. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The killer is only named right at the end with enough twists and turns along the way to intrigue rather than irritate. The story follows the police as they try and fail to find out who killed a Doctor whilst he was visiting some friends for the weekend.
This story is one in which Hercule Poirot is involved, although his character does not enter the story until chapter eleven. Poirot has been invited for lunch and on arrival is confronted...more
Karen
The Hollow was truly outstanding! I always love Christie's work, but I think this may be favorite- by far! The details were laid out so intricately. You kept guessing and examining the clues, which were dropped so perfectly into place, but only someone extremely brilliant could have solved the whole case. There were aspects of it that I guessed correctly, and then, there were some issues that I was so off base on....
Agatha Christie really was a bright woman. I don't know of anyone who had suc...more
Abhishek
An Agatha Christie book rarely disappoints. If it ain’t great, it will still be good. That’s the kind of faith one can easily have when it comes to her books. The Hollow fell in that kind of category for me – “not great, but good”. The main idea behind picking up this novel was to encounter another one of those fascinating Hercule Poirot mysteries. See him uncover the truth in his own unique style and elegance. But The Hollow is not the typical Poirot story. There is a murder, and there is an in...more
Ari
Saya kasih bintang 4 karena karakternya bikin EMOSI!

John Christow; tampan, dokter, dimasa muda mencinta penuh passionate dengan Veronica Cray, tapi percintaan mereka kandas karena perbedaan visi dan misi #halah. Veronica lebih memilih menjadi aktris Hollywood dibanding menjadi istri seorang dokter. John kemudian mengenal Henrietta, seorang seniman patung. Pada Henrietta, John menemukan tak hanya kekasih yang cantik tapi juga teman diskusi yang cerdas. Tapi John justru menikah dengan Gerda, yang...more
Etienne Mahieux
"Le Vallon" a tout pour n'être qu'un roman policier de plus : une grande demeure dans la campagne anglaise, une lady excentrique, un corps au bord de la piscine, une suspecte trop évidente, l'enquête du coroner, un détective belge plus las que jamais à moins que ce ne soit l'auteur qui en soit lasse... Alors quoi ?
Tous ces éléments balisés — encore que la solution soit astucieuse malgré l'asthénie de Poirot — laissent en fait la place à autre chose. La finesse des rapports entre les membres de l...more
Darcy
Whenever times are hard and my mind is confused and overwhelmed, I resort to Dame Christie, my first favorite author. It is strange to be so comforted by murder mysteries. I don't think I have any latent violent tendencies. The attraction seems to be more the English country house settings and the strangely insular English social classes in which many of her novels take place. I have always enjoyed mid-Victorian English literature more than any other writing, and I think Agatha Christie is a nat...more
Shannon
This is a supreme Christie novel. Delving into the psychology of her characters, which range from recognizable to socially eccentric, she puts Hercule's "little gray cells" to the test with a murder that no one and everyone seem to have committed. I especially enjoy the imagery she interjects among the sleuthing; at times her descriptions of autumnal explorations, of human interaction, of even slipping into a dream come across as almost lyrical. I thoroughly enjoyed filling my day with The Hollo...more
The Airship Librarian
This has only been my fourth Agatha Christie read. I know I should probably be reading them in order, at least the Miss Marples and Hercule Poirot's, but I've just been picking them up as they've been available on my online-library's collection.

Honestly, this was possibly my favourite of the ones I've read (though it's hard to say because I rather loved The Mirror Crack'd.) What made this one stand out? Why did I enjoy it more than the other three?

The main reason is that I felt the Christie re...more
Fail Fish
Generally I'm quite fond of the Poirot books. Christie writes very well, she includes intriguing characters and her approach to crime is quite different to many other authors I have read. The Hollow started in a different way to some of the other Poirot books, but then again, they're all quite different, which is what makes them so good.

I enjoyed The Hollow. The crime was interesting and well described, and there were some unusual characters. But it seemed weaker than many of the other books in...more
  • Final Curtain (Roderick Alleyn, #14)
  • Giant's Bread
  • The Floating Admiral
  • The Doorbell Rang (Nero Wolfe, #41)
  • The Documents in the Case
  • The Case of the Late Pig (Albert Campion Mystery #8)

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880...more
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)

“What alchemy there was in human beings.” 5 likes
“Where am I myself, the whole man, the true man? Where am I with God’s mark upon my brow?” 0 likes