Start by marking “The First and Last Freedom” as Want to Read:
The First and Last Freedom

The First and Last Freedom

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  1,019 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Krishnamurti is a leading spiritual teacher of our century. In The First and Last Freedom he cuts away symbols and false associations in the search for pure truth and perfect freedom. Through discussions on suffering, fear, gossip, sex and other topics, Krishnamurti’s quest becomes the readers, an undertaking of tremendous significance.
Published October 5th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The First and Last Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First and Last Freedom

Monica Perez
Several years ago, I came to the conclusion that no form of government could limit itself sufficiently and therefore there is no hope that a geographic monopoly on the use of force with the right to demand taxes under threat of violence (ie., government) could result in a free and just society. For example, I could see the futility of restoring the US Constitution since that is the document that led to this state in actuality, whether the document is ideal or flawed. I then came across a book ca ...more
Zane Chleboun
Out of every "spiritual" book I have read, this one takes the cake. Krishnamurti takes a more philosophical and psychological approach to why we're miserable. Unlike most other books, Krishnamurti doesn't shove pseudo-wisdom in your face and tell you what you need to do to attain enlightenment. He makes rational observations. The result is similar to reading a Dostoevsky novel. You will notice things about yourself that you absolutely hate. You will become more in touch with yourself - which in ...more
Aurelio del Portillo
Lo pongo como ejemplo, en representación de todo lo que he leído de este maestro. Es mucho más que un libro y representa para mí la esencia del aprendizaje definitivo. Cualquiera de las palabras de Krishnamurti abre directamente en la mente y en el pecho el espacio de la verdad.
Theresa
Someone once gave me this book for no reason known to me. Then began the madness and transformation of my life.
Munema
When my mentor recommended that I read Jiddu Krishnamurti's works, I thought they would be Deepak Chopra-esque pseudo-profound books, and so it was with a sense of dread that I picked up "The First and Last Freedom" (or in my case, downloaded the PDF). Instead, I was taken aback by the rational introspection the author presents. This is a book that has the potential to be life-changing. Everything within it is sensible and even obvious, and many times I found Krishnamurti completing thoughts tha ...more
James
In the Spring of every year, Krishnamurti would come speak under a large oak in a quiet grove near Ojai, California. We would take a blanket, spread it out on the grass, and listen. This book will give readers an idea of his thinking, but it was his silence that really penetrated and made us intrigued to know what he was saying.
Wil
Knishnamurti concisely expounds on living truthfully with oneself in relationship through self-study. It is what it is: “It cannot be taught in books. It has to be found from moment to moment, in the smile, in the tear, under the dead leaf, in the vagrant thoughts, in the fullness of love.”
Alex Kartelias
I was reading this book with so much interest for the first 160 pages or so but, when i came to realize the totality of his belief- that the truth is a pathless land- it hit me: why would something entirely incommunicable be written in a book? That's where Krisnamurti's BELIEFS really fell apart for me.

I'd hand it to him, he speaks extremely clear and has a very sharp intellect. But, his assumptions, generalized conclusions and contradictions are enormous when one looks carefully. For example, h
koohyar
ذهن شما بايد به گونه اي خارق العاده سريع باشد و به هيچ ايده يا ايده آل ، به هيچ قضاوت يا اعتقادي كه شخص در اثر تجارب خاص خود منسجم نموده است متوسل نشود، ادراك زماني حاصل مي شود كه انعطاف پذيري سريع ذهن كه داراي آگاهي انفعالي است وجود داشته باشد. در آن صورت قادر به پذيرش بوده و داراي حساسيت خواهد بود، ذهني كه در محاصره ازدحام پندارها، تعصبات و عقايد چه له و چه عليه قرار دارد ، داراي حساسيت نيست. برخورد ما با دنيا هر لحظه از نو صورت گيرد ، بدون عكس العمل شرطي كننده گذشته ، تا تاثير گردآوري شده اي ...more
Timothy
For anyone curious to read J. Krishnamurti this would be an excellent book to read. The question and answer format in the latter half of the book assumes no prerequisite knowledge or background, but elaborately covers Krishnamurti's world view.

I do not agree with his view that the world is in crisis, although ironically it was Krishnamurti's own inquiries into the nature of thought and freedom that led me to the realization that the world is not in crisis... and that life is fundamentally perfec
Sarovar
I never thought I'd read a book in my 30's that would change my perspective on life, but this one did... it's unbelievable... clarity, not illusion, so rare in philosophy.
jeremy bradner
i read this for a class and it was pretty revolutionary for me when i first read it and for a few years after. however, it turned me into a lazy and negative person. i mean, i know what he's saying about the bad side discipline...but sometimes a little self discipline is necessary. i remember a quote from here though on the chapter where he posed the question "what is the meaning of life" the response was: "to live."
Jade Bos
I read pretty much everything of Krishnamurti's that I could get my hands on some 12-15 years ago. This was my favorite.
He can come off a little gruff and too authoritarian. He definitely doesn't mince words. As always if your not into eastern spirituality you might think this is total crap.
Jeff
This is my favorite book. It’s taken from talks he’s given and was challenging for me to get into at first. In a good way he’s helped tear down my defenses, walls, beliefs. Reading Krishnamurti always centers me, and when I’m confused it clears my mind. I love his talks (on his books).
Zach Doarn
I've never had my core beliefs challenged lime I did after reading this book, krishnamurti was one of a kind, and I thank him for challenging me
Bheem Rajaneesh
Finding something different in me.
Cant explain, but can talk about it.
Cant feel, but feeling happy about it.
????? Lot more to come...
Scott
It is by Krishnamurti, not Huxley.
Yunzhe Li
I finished reading this book 5 months ago.

He has rather mind-blowing ideas on human society and life, if you have little experiences in Buddhist philosophy or similar ideas before. Although, his ideas were not entirely Buddhist.. (In fact, I guess J. Krishnamurti would not want me to label him as Buddhist or anything else) He was just like a seeker of truth, sharing his understanding of life, nature and human society. He did not tell you what you should do. He never gave you an action plan or wh
Steffin Gomes
Krishnamurthi had challenged me both intellectually and at an emotional level. He had always being regarded as a man with unconventional thinking (and this is a trait that I share with the author) who in this book, with skillful rationalistic arguments and profound philosophical reference presents his thoughts unraveling the deepest layers of the human psyche. He argues that, losing the "me" and focusing on "what is" and actualizing the self , shedding of the preconceived ideas, dogmas and belie ...more
Michelle Margaret
Loved every word, from the first sentence in the foreword by Aldous Huxley ("Man is an amphibian who lives simultaneously in two worlds--the given and the home-made, the world of matter, life and consciousness and the world of symbols") to the last by J. Krishnamurti, the intense, brilliant Indian philosopher ("Where there is love, there is revolution, because love is transformation from moment to moment.")

Van Morrison is quoted on the back of the book: "I feel the meaning of Krishnamurti for ou
Mary Anne Balane
I read this for Philosophy class and I actually ended up being somewhat more enlightened and liberated too.
Punkster
Philosophy met psychology and they created something beautiful.
Silvia A. Ramos Ceñal
Krishnamurti is a very important light on the road. I recommend everybody to read him, even though it could be hard to understand completely, mainly, for the kind of person who is too attached to certain philosophical and/or religious beliefs. Krishnamurti would let you with a very healthy uncertainness, a sense of wondering, and no limits for your thought.
Sandeep Saroha
I really liked the way he was giving the answers in the form of questions, like itn't it, thus encouraging the read to THINK himself...which is the most important thing. atleast in spiritual books. But i still have doubts. if mind, memory is really such an evil, why evolution, why the whole structure gave to humans?...just to cause him suffering? although very much spiritual, I still feels science give a better answer of that.
roy
Apr 05, 2007 roy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I just finished re-reading this one. I got it from a family friend when my first son was born, because it had a forward by Huxley. I soon realized that I really enjoyed the book and look forward to reading more from the aurthor. The main thing I learned was the need for total detachment from the ideals that define us should happen before we can truely decide what are important considerations for lifes actions.
Colleen Wainwright
I picked this up because I'd read the amazingly wonderful piece "On War" in an issue of The Sun. The other pieces I began to read were, like all Krishnamurti, good and true, but for some reason, I just wasn't galvanized the way I was with the one piece.

Of course, I have the attention span of a meth addict these days. Sigh.
Kristoffer
Discusses some of the most essential questions in our society today. Krishnamurti places himself as one of the most influential spiritual leaders of our time. His profound teaching about life,death,fear etc. I would easily recommend it to anyone who wants answers in life.
Ryan Potter
Sep 05, 2011 Ryan Potter rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Ryan by: Nobody
The best book I have read to date. If you really try to understand what this author is explaining, everything will become perfectly clear - and I mean everything. If you don't understand any of the book, it is only because you don't want to.
Aziz
Great book, with profound insights. Although, it is not for a beginning seeker, its kind of dry and laid out plain simple. Truth needs some humor. But still a great, great book and one of if not Krishnamurti's best book.
Kathryn Renta
Krishnamurti's concepts are abstract and hard to grasp at first. But if you find the treasure within his writings, you're truly blessed. This is another book that changed my life...definitely for the better.
  • A New Model of the Universe
  • The Secret Doctrine
  • The Inner Chapters
  • The Life Divine
  • Taoist I Ching
Jiddu Krishnamurti or J. Krishnamurti was a popular writer and speaker on philosophical and spiritual subjects. His subject matter included (but was not limited to): the purpose of meditation, human relationships, and how to enact positive change in global society. For more than sixty years he spoke around the world and shared his thoughts on death, disease, freedom, meditation, fear, God, and nat ...more
More about Jiddu Krishnamurti...
Freedom from the Known Think on These Things The Awakening of Intelligence Total Freedom: The Essential Krishnamurti Education and the Significance of Life

“It is truth that liberates, not your effort to be free.” 321 likes
“إن المجتمع هو ما خلقته أنا وأنت عبر علاقتنا؛ إنه الإسقاط الخارجي لحالاتنا النفسية الداخلية. بالتالي إذا لم نفهم أنا وأنت أنفسنا، فإن مجرد تحويل الخارجي، الذي هو إسقاط للداخلي، لا يمتلك أية قيمة؛ أي لا يمكن أن يحدث تبدل أو تعديل مهم للمجتمع طالما لا أفهم نفسي عبر العلاقة معك.” 1 likes