Start by marking “Salvation's Reach” as Want to Read:
Salvation's Reach

Salvation's Reach (Gaunt's Ghosts #13)

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  1,026 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
The Tanith First-and-Only infiltrate an Imperial underwater ship and must wrestle it from Chaos cultists in the thirteenth book of this popular Imperial Guard series.
Published October 4th 2011 by Games Workshop (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Salvation's Reach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salvation's Reach

Sud666
May 31, 2017 Sud666 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Salvation's Reach was a new experience for me. Most of the Warhammer 40K books are centered around the far more famous Imperial Space Marines. This one is about an Imperial Guard Regiment- Gaunt's Ghosts aka the Tanith First.

This is taking place during the Sabbat Worlds Crusade and is under Warmaster Macroth. The Empire is in the middle of battling Archon Gaur of the Archenemy or Ruionous Powers. They have devised a strike plan to a place called Salvations Reach. If all goes according to plan th
Andrew Ziegler
Jan 30, 2013 Andrew Ziegler rated it really liked it
This book is number 13 in the Gaunt's Ghosts series. I basically read it in a day. It was like putting on a pair of your most comfy pants. Abnett took his time in this book and did the whole,"Let's Catch Up with EVERYONE" section of the novel that the last did not. Sure, it took 150 pages, but I loved it all, because...and this is Abnett's fault...because I love all of the characters. The Gaunt's series has become one of my favorites of all time. Some might look on that with scorn because it is ...more
David Ploss
Mar 29, 2012 David Ploss rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of doing the very first review of this book and had it featured on Black Library's website. here is a link to that review: http://thefoundingfields.com/2011/08/...

I'll quote some of it below:

Commissar Ploss returns to book reviews with Salvation’s Reach. The latest novel in the Gaunt’s Ghosts series of books.

“This book is bloody brilliant!”
~The Founding Fields

Note: this is an advanced review. The book will be available for purchase starting October 2011.

Well folks, i’ve final
Mick
Jan 29, 2013 Mick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 13th in Dan Abnett's epic Gaunt's Ghost's series, not counting the Sabbat Worlds Anthology or the novella The Iron Star, and it's one of the better entries in the series.

Picking up where Blood Pact left off, Salvation's Reach begins with the Tanith 1st and Only preparing for a mission of such importance and secrecy that only a handful of them are even aware of their destination. Abnett spends a lot of time with the regiment during the muster before sending them off into battle, catc
Jean-Luc
Aug 02, 2013 Jean-Luc rated it liked it
One of my resolutions for this year was to read books about something other than Space Marines... Technically, I'm sticking to that resolution, because this is supposed to be a book about the Imperial Guard, so imagine my surprise when Space Marines show up!!

The Space Marines traveling w/ Warmaster Macaroth's Sabbat Worlds crusade have thus far stayed w/ the main battle group. They haven't bothered w/ the second front until now. 3, that's right, 3 Space Marines have agreed to join Colonel-Commis
Derek Weese
Jul 21, 2014 Derek Weese rated it it was amazing
This is the 13th book in the excellent Gaunt's Ghosts series, and it's a fantastic one.

The Ghosts have been sitting for quite a while, they've not been in the fires of war for quite some time. Their officers (And some of the Ghosts themselves) are concerned that they're losing their edge. If they don't get blooded soon, they'll lose their edge and never regain it.
Thankfully a golden opportunity arises.
A special ops mission, something the Tanith First and Only excel at, arises. The mission is to
GrimNir
Feb 22, 2014 GrimNir rated it it was amazing
Dan Abnett is a genius at this type of book. Alot of people throw scorn at the warhammer series of books especially warhammer 40,000 - But they don't realise there are authors like Dan Abnett writing within these series. He is a genius. He writes big war and campaigns better than most other authors out there, and he managers to give meaning and worth to the minature micro aspects of planning and organising a major offensive, so you get the whole picture. It makes it more believable, real, and it ...more
Dillan
Jul 04, 2013 Dillan rated it it was amazing
As a huge fan of the series and most thing Abnett, I was excited for this since completing BLOOD PACT. Well SALVATION'S REACH is no let down. The series we're already attached to and love suddenly takes them to a different place until you almost loathe what it does to them. However, this makes you realize the power and genius of Abnett's writing altogether. The story is delivered in great time and well packaged in a way that keeps it up paced and waiting for more. It is truly a fantastic read wi ...more
Matthew
I'm not sure how to classify these Warhammer books.

Military: Yes
Science Fiction: Kind of
Fantasy: Kind of. There is magic based horror.
In many ways they are post-apocalyptic. Technology has stagnated, although humanity continues to expand and exterminate anything not human.

Having said that, I am enjoying this book. The characters are engaging, and it is well written. I highly recommend reading it, if you enjoy military science fiction, or military fantasy. Is there a military fantasy category?
Jimmy
Jan 11, 2012 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
I love the Gaunts ghosts series of books.
The way the various stories and characters intertwine and move on is facinating.
That and knowing that none of them are actually safe makes for an edge to some of the situations that is missing in the books where you know certain characters are safe.

This book kicks off another Ghosts story arc and Dan does a really good job of ratcheting up the level of intregue and the feeling that it's actually all being put on the line this time.

If you are a fan you wo
Razael
Dec 21, 2015 Razael added it
A total knockout. 3 Space Marines (Iron Snake, White Scar and Silver Guard) join Forces with Gaunt Ghosts to preform a suicidal cover op to the Archenemy HQ known as Salvation Reach. Those heroes will be also remembered as the Suicidal Kings. In addition, for the fans of Commisar Gaunt, there is the subliminal "I'm your father" moment which I will not spoil.
nooker
Feb 06, 2014 nooker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warhammer-40k
Gaunt's Ghosts are always really cool! A bit slow to get started as they go through some of the manusha a military company. Still good and once the assaulted Salvation's Reach, absolutely awesome! I really loved the depiction of the boarding action that took place. The Space Marines were a lot of fun here too.
Rachel
Nov 16, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

The Ghosts, Space Marines and space battles.....epic, Dan Abnett has done it again. The only problem is I have to wait for another book to be written now. Hopefully in the next book Ibram and Ana will finally realise they are meant for each other and get together, but then again he might drag it out a bit longer!
Aaron
May 25, 2017 Aaron rated it liked it
It took me a while to get used to the narrator's accents, and I had no idea this was book 13 when I started it, but I did quite like the story. I didn't like that so many story lines were incomplete, but now that I know this is a series, and the story lines are likely to be addressed in future books, I am not upset. Not great writing, but a nice pastime. I am definitely interested in finding the first of the series and starting from the beginning.
Riley Feldmann
Feb 21, 2017 Riley Feldmann rated it really liked it
The Warhammer 40,000 Universe: Pain, suffering, hopelessness, demonic creatures of the Warp, and death. In many ways, I should get sorely depressed reading the various novels that flit around within the world originally brought into being as a board game featuring miniature soldiers.

And yet, for one reason or another, I'm always dragged back. Part of the appeal is all of the horrific realism of life in the Imperium of Man; this ain't no set of novels for young adults. Another (and more importan
Lee Vernon
Sep 18, 2016 Lee Vernon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 40k
Normally a big fan of Dan Abnett and Gaunt's Ghosts, but I'm going against the grain a bit to say I wasn't particularly enraptured on this occasion. It didn't help that the first 150 pages was just catching up with characters and introducing a few new ones, the pace a steady crawl. When the action finally does start, the book is almost over. The action was good as always and is compulsive reading when it kicks off on occasion, but the encounters are too brief to truly satisfy and I long for anot ...more
Ross Hamilton
Dec 26, 2011 Ross Hamilton rated it liked it
Dan Abnett is widely regarded as one of the best military sci fi writers in the world today. And I agree.

The release of another novel in the Gaunt's Ghosts series is a reason to settle down with a cuppa in a comfy chair and get lost in the universe of the 41st Millennium.

In terms of the military action, Salvation's Reach is every bit as crisply written as its predecessors. Plenty is happening by the reader is drawn along without any difficulty.

Ibram Gaunt continues to be the hard-bitten warrior
Andrew
Feb 27, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
There are two basic types of long novel series: those where each book stands as its own story (Terry Pratchett's Discworld, and Jim Butcher's Dresden Files come to mind), and then there are the series where the reader needs to have read all the previous books to get the full value of every episode. Gaunt's Ghosts is definitely the latter kinds of series. So if you're reading this and you've already read the 13 books that came before, it's highly probable that you're already heavily invested, and ...more
Martin
Nov 03, 2012 Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: warhammer-40k, sci-fi
Salvation's Reach

Following the events of Blood Pact, Colonel-Commissar Gaunt and his Ghosts are returned to active duty, and are given one of their most formidable assignments yet; a mysterious space hulk known as Salvation's Reach. According to the turncoat Mabbon Etogaur, the Sons of Sek have secretly been using Salvation's Reach as an R&D installation; concealing their activities there from all factions, even their overlord, Archon Gaur.

If Sek's covert operations are brought to light, it
Richard Barnes
Jan 23, 2012 Richard Barnes rated it liked it
I would think this book should be read as part of the larger series of 13 books (so far), that make up the Gaunt's Ghosts series, part of the Warhammer 40K franchise.

I read it on its own. I am a fan of Warhammer 40K books - there is a grim, black humour at work, vert similar to that of 2000AD that appeals to me. I think its a British thing, unlike the US where generally there has to be more obvious divisions of good and evil, and usually far more happy endings, British sci-fi is more at home wit
Jon
Nov 10, 2012 Jon rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Dan Abnett Does it Again, with great action and interesting characters.

If you're reading this review, then you likely fall into one of two categories:

1)You've read previous books in the Gaunt's Ghosts series. In this case here's the only sentence you'll actually care about: yes, this book is just as good as the previous ones.

or

2)You're new to the series and wondering if you should read this book. I very much recommend the Gaunt's Ghosts series because Dan Abnett is able to, as mentioned above, w
Johannes Marks
Dan Ellingham
Nov 06, 2012 Dan Ellingham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was initially very worried about this book: the first quarter was a little slow, introducing themes that Abnett wouldn't usually move toward, and even worse, turns of phrase and even entire conversations that seemed immensely out of character. In such a long running series, a reader knows the characters almost on a personal level, and such deviances are disconcerting.

However, the book certainly rights itself. The usual Abnett flair returns with a vengeance, bringing with it the set pieces that
John Patrick
Oct 29, 2011 John Patrick rated it really liked it
I have to say I have been very satisfied with the entire Guant's Ghost series ever since I picked up the first book in paperback many years ago from my game shop and this book is no exception. Dan Abnett is almost a master of pacing, never letting the plot drag, and always keeping you interested even when following background characters that have the life expectancy of a Red Shirt. Salvations Reach also marks the death of another of the original main cast which is always a bitter sweet moment bu ...more
Edoardo Albert
Aug 26, 2013 Edoardo Albert rated it really liked it
Abnett takes slightly different approach in this latest Gaunt's Ghosts novel. There is a tense, throw-the-reader-off-track beginning, and then a fairly slow, more character related development, admittedly interspersed with one major space-fleet battle and a shape-shifting assassin, but this is relatively quiet by Abnett's standards. However, having followed the Ghosts through so many worlds and battles, I appreciated the quieter moments. Presumably this in the penultimate volume in the series, s ...more
Rob Smith
Jan 19, 2012 Rob Smith rated it liked it
Not the greatest GG book but still a very enjoyable read. Fast paced, lots of action and Abnett's trademark, kill half the people you love in his books!

What let this book down for me is that there is a massive build up to a really interesting setting which by the end of the book, leaves you with a "is that it?" feeling. It would have been nice to explore what else was there before we are moved on.

A final minor gripe is the telegraphed death of one of the characters, it was obvious from the sta
Brad
Feb 09, 2012 Brad rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This book was good. Even with it being a part of a series of books, Gaunt's Ghost's, I never really felt lost. The author did an excellent job introducing each character and providing the reader with enough background to get familiar with each without bogging the reader down in trying to catch them up of several books worth of content. This was my 1st book from this particular series and loved listening to it. I decided to give this book a go since I have read about half of the books from the 40 ...more
James
Nov 28, 2011 James rated it really liked it
I love it for its moments that took the bite out of a world where friends you've known for a long time (14 novels) pass away so quickly. I love the constant character growth in each novel. There was something I did hate. In some moments it seemed that it was filled with pointless material. I got lost in some of the words and it kinda grounded the flow of the novel to a halt. Either way, I look forward to the next installment.
Paul Costello
Feb 10, 2016 Paul Costello rated it it was amazing
Dan once again weaves an interesting and dynamic story that makes for a great read in its own right and delivers yet another impressive style of war being waged in this book, but also keeps the amazing saga of "Gaunts Ghost" flowing in its 13th novel. The Tanith 1st and only lost some great men in this book, they will be missed.
Patt
Nov 30, 2012 Patt rated it really liked it
Damn that took a long time to get started last 50 pages actually had the action except the naval engagement.
I'm getting fed up with the imperials suffering pointless casualties like Daurs team ad the drilling mishap I thought "what was the point of that?". Not the best GG but either way another edition is always appreciated.
  • The Emperor's Finest
  • Cadian Blood (Imperial Guard)
  • Storm of Iron
  • Nemesis
  • Shadows of Treachery
  • Battle of the Fang
  • Victories of the Space Marines
  • Angels of Darkness
  • Let the Galaxy Burn

Gaunt's Ghosts (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • First and Only (Gaunt's Ghosts, #1)
  • Ghostmaker (Gaunt's Ghosts, #2)
  • Necropolis