Start by marking “Irreparable Harm (Sasha McCandless, #1)” as Want to Read:
Irreparable Harm (Sasha McCandless, #1)

Irreparable Harm (Sasha McCandless Legal Thrillers #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,860 ratings  ·  266 reviews
There's an app for everything. Even evil.

Attorney Sasha McCandless is closing in on the prize after eight long years: she's months away from being made partner at a prestigious law firm. All she has to do is keep her head down and her billable hours up.

Then a plane operated by her client slams into the side of a mountain, killing everyone aboard. Sasha gears up to prepare
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 417 pages
Published April 19th 2011 by Brown Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Irreparable Harm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irreparable Harm

Brent
I enjoyed that Miller chose a somewhat unusual setting (Pittsburgh) for her debut legal thriller, Irreparable Harm. She was obviously writing about an environment she knows well, as this former patron of Pamela's Diner can attest. :-) Her descriptions of life inside a Big Law defense firm also rang true, as did her insightful observations regarding the ways that the personal relationships between attorneys and judges can subtly but monumentally impact cases at crucial times.

Lawyers can be a part
Kate's Reads
The legal thriller "Irreparable Harm", by Melissa F. Miller begins with an airliner crashing into the side of a mountain for no apparent reason. All aboard are killed.

Sasha McCandless is a lawyer on track to soon make partner in her large law firm. The airline company is a client of the firm and the team scrambles to prepare for the inevitable law suits resulting from the accident. Until she discovers it wasn't an accident.

A company has developed an application that can take over control of a
Kim
I really enjoyed this book, fast, pacy and very well written. The characters were well formed and believable. The plot engaging and concluded well. I think it really deserves a 4* rating but that is exactly where I struggled. It is undoubtedly a good book but perhaps this is also its greatest flaw. I just felt the author had been on a creative writing course and had stuck strictly to a predefined template. it was a little too formulaic for me. The author played it safe & I would have liked t ...more
Stephanie
This is a perfectly acceptable legal thrilled. There's nothing revolutionary about it, and I had most of the plot figured out before I was 40 pages deep. That said, these books are perfect for quick reads after the holidays, so I'm not complaining.

I purchased the second book in the series for my Nook, and I plan to read that before the New Year as well. The first book was a very quick read (finished it in just over 12 hours), and I suspect the second one will be as well.
Paul
I picked this up on a friend's recommendation because he knows how much I dislike John Grisham. He was right. Melissa Miller's narrative and the central character she creates in Sasha are interesting, and I found myself actually engaged in a story that could, in the hands of a lesser writer, have become tedious to the point of agony.

In a few words, Sasha works for a mega-sized law firm, is working toward partnership, and lands a potential class-action case around a plane crash. Circumstances bec
Terric853
Wow! Great book!

Sasha McCandless is an attorney in a Pittsburgh, PA, law firm that represents a large airline based in the area. One of the airline's planes crashes for no apparent reason in the mountains of Virginia, killing all on board. As her company prepares for the liability lawsuits they envision coming from the families of the dead, she learns that the client had modified the plane with an illegal override system.

Leonard Connelly is the air marshall assigned to investigate the crash. He
Cindy Jacobson
Another book I picked up free. Sasha McCandless is an attorney in a presigous firm on her way to being a partner. Then an airline ( a major client) has a plane crash and that's when all the excitement starts. Sasha can certainly take care of herself when confronting anyone who tries to intimidate her. While their certainly were some cliches and I did figure out some of the people involved, it was a good book that I didn't want to put down,
Jim
I found this to be a good read. It kept my interest, the plot is plausible, and there are enough twists and turns in the story line to keep one from putting the book down.

Written by a lawyer, the book focuses on Sasha McCandless, an associate in a large law firm in Pittsburgh. After an air liner belonging to one of the law firm's major clients crashes into the side of the Allegheny Mountains, Sasha becomes involved in determining the cause of the accident, which then leads to her becoming a tar
Krista D.
I really enjoyed this! It was fast paced, heroine was uber likeable, and the storyline was fine.

It's written not so much as a who-done-it, but rather as a how-they'll-get-caught. I liked that approach, since I'm not a big who-done-it reader.

Looking forward to reading more in the series.
Stanley McShane
Sasha McCandless is a rising attorney working towards partnership in her upscale law firm of Prescott & Talbott full of high powered attornies with big name clients. When the plane owned by one of their larger clients goes into the side of the mountain in Virginia, Sasha ends up heading the case and investigation when she suspects the crash is not an accident. The technology may stretch the fabric of reality but makes for a good plot and a fast-moving story that doesn't let up the page-turni ...more
Brian Switzer
Nice brisk read. I loved the pacing of this book- there wasn't a slow moment, not one page that caused me to drift away and find other uses for my time. STINKER OF AN ENDING. One gets the notion that Ms. Miller found herself adrift in plotlines and characters with no idea on how to tie it all together- so she said 'Let's take all the main characters that are still drawing air, plunk them together in a room, and see how things play out." The answer- not believably. All in all though a good time b ...more
Gina Basham
I enjoyed this as a legal thriller. Some of the action was a little predictable and far fetched but still a great read.
Erin
I've read a lot of legal suspense novels, and this one did not disappoint. It strikes some Grisham cords (the overworked legal associate, irony/humor, intricate plot), but the author very much so establishes her own identity and motif. I appreciated that the author wrote from both the antagonist and protagonist perspectives throughout the story. To that end, this book is not a classic "whodunit," but the author does do a great job of withholding all the details until the end, particularly the mo ...more
Joseph A.
This was a well written book, with all the details holding together very well. It was set in Pittsburgh, which provided an interesting backdrop for the story and obviously the author is very familiar with the area. The main character Sasha McCandless is interesting as well and is certainly a female who can take care of herself. This is a book about lawyers so it is probably understandable that we get a lot of legal details, but they were a bit too detailed for this reader at times. Overall thoug ...more
Doug Hoffman
I'm not a big fan of legal thriller but on occasion I feel the need to clear my palate from my normal science fiction fare. Having said that, I really liked Irreparable Harm. The plot was twisty enough to hold the reader's interest, the characters are likeable and well developed, and the action plentiful. Even the legal details are presented in an interesting and understandable way. The writing is good though there were a few editing errors. In all, a fast, entertaining read. I liked it so much ...more
Howard Bonham
Melissa F. Miller has crafted a fast-paced, realistic tale in "Irreparable Harm," one that draws to the fullest from her work as a court room litigator. Her heroine, Sasha McCandless ("Mac"), is a 100-pound attorney in her late twenties, a beautiful bundle of martial arts expertise and a super Ninja who takes on adversaries in dark alleys or court rooms, with fire in her eyes.
Ms. Miller treats her readers to a taste of modern criminal law practice, including legal warfare behind the scenes. For
Liz
FYI: I received a free copy of this book to review.

Irreparable Harm completely entertained me. I read it as fast as I could. Sasha is a wonderful character and I had a blast reading about her. I always try to guess whodunit, and I'm usually wrong. This time I got it right pretty quickly, but it didn't detract from the book. I still enjoyed reading the story play out. Miller does a decent job explaining the legal jargon, though I admit my eyes glazed over during some of those paragraphs. The lawy
Aspho
(A version of this review will also appear on Amazon.co.uk)

There’s a smartphone app that can crash a plane. And it's for sale to the highest bidder. Attorney Sasha MacCandless soon realises the crash was no accident: a developer has created an application that can control a commercial plane's on-board computer from a smartphone.

As a fan of both Air Crash Investigation-style documentaries and legal thrillers, the synopsis of Irreparable Harm - emailed to me by reviewing site BookRooster.com, app
Douglas Cook
First paragraphs, "Somewhere in the air over Blacksburg, Virginia The old man checked his new gold watch, given in appreciation for his fifty years’ of service to the City of Pittsburgh. He lifted the window screen and pressed his head against the oval window in the side of the plane. The glass was cold against his papery skin. Somewhere out in the darkness the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia rose up from the land. He looked hard but couldn’t see them. He pulled the screen back down, more shar ...more
Jerry Grahs
I don't want to sound overly critical. This book sounded mildly interesting and was a free Kindle offering so I downloaded and read. Characterizations are cardboard cutouts. We are offered plenty of cliches and stereotypes. Outside of physical and ethnic characteristics of the heroine and her male sidekick we don't learn much about either one.

The heroine is a lawyer and Miller spends expends a great deal of effort describing the hierarchy a large law firm. This may be interesting to someone who
Anna
If you like Grisham and are willing to suspend your disbelief, you'll enjoy this book. I'm always keen on stories with a truly spunky heroine, and it was a nice touch to make her attend martial arts classes nearly every day so that that it was believable that a shrimpy woman could defend herself against all and sundry. I also especially liked the ethical quandary in which she found herself, and the careful way she worked her way out. Pure fluffy fun, with an emphasis on the fun.
Diane
I really enjoyed this book. It's a legal thriller featuring petite lawyer Sasha McCandless who's a rising star in her firm and who is also a fierce warrior training in a self defence type of "martial" arts called Kava Magna. She ends up having to use her training a few times through the course of the book!

The book starts with a plane crash that seems obviously triggered by something a passenger did with a phone. Who is he? why did he do it? Who is he working for? It's not called terrorism but re
Linda Buffington
Well written

I love crime thrillers and detective novels. this one held my interest immediately. I read it within two days. The author has a good grasp on the legality, obviously, but I enjoyed the balance of plot and character tear details. enough to keep our interest but not overly mundane to slow down the advancement of the story line. and the ending winds everything up without disappointment. I am eager to deal e into the next book.
Linda
Kept my interest throughout. I'm glad I didn't read the other reviews first - I don't like it when they tell you the plot of the story before you read it. Brief summary - starts with a plane crashing into a mountain for no apparent reason - Prestigious law firm is involved because the airline is their client but lots of twists and turns keep your interest. I did figure out the guilty person before the heroine however....see if you can do the same.
Delores
Sasha McCandless is a corporate lawyer, whose client’s plane just slammed into a mountain, killing everyone aboard. Was the plane crash an accident or was it murder. Sasha teams with a federal air marshal assigned to investigate the crash.

I was captivated after the first chapter. Good, suspenseful read with strong, believable central characters. I was thoroughly entertained and will definitely read the other books in this series.
Nyna
This is everything a light summer read should be. One of those books that has you turning the pages to see what happens next. Oh, I have a few quibbles about the unlikelihood of certain actions that are taken, and the concluding action is a little rushed and, again, unlikely. But what a fun trip. It only took me two days to finish, but, of course, I got very little of anything else done.
Kay Donner
This book is a lawyers view of her responsibility to her client and her responsibility to the "greater good" to save lives; how sometimes there is a conflict of interest involved and how it is difficult to determine a course of action. There are twists involved, which keep it interesting and help it to not be a law jargon account of a court case. I enjoyed it and hope MS Miller keeps writing.
Michele
I actually read the 2nd book in the Sasha McCandless Legal Thriller series by Melissa F Miller. You can read my review of Inadvertent Disclosure here. I liked it so much that I actually went in and purchased Book 1 in the series, Irreparable Harm. I finally found the time to read it and enjoyed it thoroughly. Will I be purchasing and reading more in this series--you can bet on it!

Irreparable Harm is a tale of corporate greed which pits a lawyer from a high profile firm in a very strange situatio
Nancy Hoefer
I'd Hate to Meet Her in a Dark Alley

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found myself not wanting thing to put it down. Sasha is a believable character, tough yet intelligent and likeable. The plot had enough twists to keep me interested. Having been a court clerk in the past I was able to put myself into the story. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Patsy Cardwell
This was the first book of this Author's that I have read but I'm sure it won't be the last. I love legal thrillers and this one kept me guessing to the end. Very scary to think this could really happen. It's about a smartphone app that gets into the wrong hands and has the ability to crash planes. The main character is a spitfire that can fight like a man. Would love to have her abilities. I would never be afraid to go into a dark parking lot alone if I could handle myself like Sasha. Love her! ...more
The Free Book Cha...: Irreparable Harm, by Melissa F. Miller 2 14 Jan 25, 2014 01:27PM
  • Ties That Bind (Madison Knight, #1)
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Noble Beginnings
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Cruel Justice (A Lorne Simpkins Thriller, #1)
  • Blood Orchids (Lei Crime, #1)
  • Castle Cay (Julie O'Hara Mystery #1)
  • Ascension Day
  • Fatal Exchange
  • No Game for a Dame (Maggie Sullivan mysteries)
  • Fool Me Twice (Jake Lassiter, #6)
  • Ratcatcher (John Purkiss, #1)
  • Final Vector
  • Dark Prairies
  • The Advocate
  • Deadly Stillwater (McRyan Mystery Series, #2)
  • Malicious
  • The Shekinah Legacy (Charlotte Ansari, #1)

I am a writer, mother, wife, and lawyer. I write crime fiction.

I have been writing since my fingers could grasp a pencil. (Note to mom: no need to dig those early works out of the attic!)

I have a degree in English from the University of Pennsylvania (with a double concentration in medieval literature and creative writing poetry).
After college, I worked as an editor for three years before attendin
More about Melissa F. Miller...
Inadvertent Disclosure (Sasha McCandless Legal Thrillers #2) Irretrievably Broken (Sasha McCandless Legal Thrillers #3) Indispensable Party (Sasha McCandless Legal Thrillers, #4) Lovers and Madmen: A Sasha McCandless Novella (Sasha McCandless Legal Thriller Book 4.5) Improper Influence (Sasha McCandless Legal Thriller, #5)

“planespotters,” 1 likes