Black Light

Black Light

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  42 reviews
If you have a supernatural problem that won't go away, you need Buck Carlsbad: private eye, exorcist, and last resort.

Buck's got a way with spirits that no one else can match. He was normal, once. Until Something Horrible killed his parents and left him for dead.

Buck has spent years using his gift to trace his family. It's his only hope of finding out what happened to the...more
Published October 5th 2011 by Mulholland Books (first published January 1st 2011)

Greg
One of the better read managers at work once said that there weren't any good books written by two authors, this might not be a hundred percent true, but generally a book with two or more authors is going to be some hobbled together fiasco. But what about three authors? And what if two of those authors are the writers of the Saw movie sequels? It's got to be good, right? Right? Three authors? Torture horror screen-writers? A recipe for awesomeness right?

Eh.......

Most of the other reviewers here...more
Lou
"Mommy I see dead people!" that's the line from the distressed young boy in Sixth sense the movie.
And definitely the main protagonist would quote the same.
There a lot of talk of dead people in this novel
This novel comes from the writers of SAW. The protagonist has been surrounded by the dead most of his life and his gifted talent is of the exorcism strain. He eats dead souls up then expels them from his own body again.
The story had the makings of a real page-turner but I expected much more fri
Adam James
Black Light is a book written by idiots, written for idiots. And I'm an idiot for reading it.

The warning sign should have been the three authors who somehow managed to screw up an already ridiculously cliched and idiotic story. Black Light reads like the fiction vomited out by freewriting fourteen yearolds in a remedial English class.

It feels as though this story was a failed screenplay that these three idiots decided to showcase as a fleshed out novel. The problem is that there's nothing about...more
Lynn
Being a huge fan of the "Saw" series of films I was eagerly wishing this to be as good. Unfortunately though, the premise of the story was intriguing but failed to deliver the goods for me.

Buck Carlsbad is an exorcist with a difference. He uses the Blacklight of the dead to rid the world of spirits that tag onto those remaining, more often than not the ones who have killed them in the first place. His journey into the Blacklight has allowed him to piece together the jigsaw of clues that surround...more
Mary Gramlich
BLACK LIGHT by Patrick Melton, Marcus Dunstan, and Stephen Romano
10/11 - Little, Brown & Company - Hardcover, 336 pages

If you are the person who protects us from the ghosts, who is taking care of you?

Buck Carlsbad has been chasing everything that goes bump in the night for more years than he can count. He has a “gift” which captures the dark forces that cause mayhem and disaster with the power to regurgitate them into safekeeping. He lost his family to the Blacklight that holds secrets and k...more
Andrew
First of all I will admit I knew nothing of this book - this is one of those random out of the blue gambles I took and it paid off.

As usually I do not want to give away spoilers but lets say that when I first started I didn't hold any great expectations - its on a subject that seems quite popular at the moment and with an unrecognised author I didn't think it would be the next award winning hidden gem. I was wrong - the style is quick and easy to read - the storyline though familiar quickly dive...more
Miriam
A fun, wild ride about a sort of rogue exorcist on a train of ghostly terror. A perfect Halloween book.
Jessica Bronder
We start the story as Buck is extracting the ghost of a pedophile from his own home. He absorbs the Mark then later locks the remains in a silver urn. This is hard on Buck and takes time off of his life, which is measured in gray hairs. Buck is one of a handful of people that can remove spirits from the areas that they are haunting. This is not a pretty procedure or one that is healthy; most of the people that have these skills turn to alcohol to live with what they do.

Buck also has parental iss...more
Jacki
Buck Carlsbad's job takes years off his life--literally. A gifted medium, Buck acts as a ghost magnet, drawing evil spirits into himself to be neutralized but losing a bit of his own life each time. In the process, the "marks" draw him into a shadowy world of the dead that Buck terms the Blacklight, where he believes the answers to his parents' disappearance 30 years ago await him. Lately, the Blacklight voices have whispered that something big is coming. Then a rich executive asks Buck to go al...more
J.C. Hart
This novel follows Buck, a man who drags the vengeful dead out of the living world and into himself, in order to remove them from the land of the living permanently. His whole focus in life is to answer the question of what happened to his parents – unfortunately for him, the only place he can find those answers is the last place he wants to be.

I really liked the take on the paranormal shown in this novel. It was something new for me – the main character physically taking the spirits into himsel...more
Joe Hempel
I picked this up based on the writers being the writers for the SAW Franchise. I think maybe I expected too much.

Buck Carlsbad is basically a modern day "ghostbuster". He can see ghosts, and he is able to see into the other side to capture the evil ones that don't move on. The other side he calls the "Black Light".

Orphaned at a young age because his parents were killed by rather nasty group of ghosts or "marks" in what is called the "Blacklight Triangle" (original right?) in the Desert.

Well the...more
Mike
Black Light by Patrick Melton, Marcus Dunstan, and Stephen Romano (hereafter the Writers) is an gritty and over-the-top tale of supernatural noir. The Writers are the same guys who brought us the Saw franchise but (if you’re like me) don’t let that influence your decision to give Black Light a shot. Black Light is the story of Buck Carlsbad a private investigator with the gift of being able to see the dead and absorb them for later disposal. His gift comes with the side effect of being able to s...more
Zachary
You know those books where there is a ton of exposition because the author is building a universe, and wants you to know all about that universe? Yeah, that can be boring, can't it? However, I think that approach is much better than something like this book, in which the authors clearly had constructed an entire universe in which ghosts are real, come in different types, and interact with the living in ways based on rules, but then they don't really bother to tell you much of that in such a way...more
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
I received this book from First Reads.

2.5 stars.

only a few chapters in so far, but it seems really interesting.
i like the new take on ghosts and ghost hunting.
i can't wait to see how the rest unfolds and possibly discover more about Buck's mysterious past.

i don't even know where to begin with this one. it started out alright (grmamatically and structurally speaking), i was thinking of 4 stars (it had promise), then the writing was just so horrendous, it was a challenge to read. i really felt 2 s...more
Kris
Black Light is a book about Buck Carlsbad who legitimately is able to see and exorcise ghosts that are bothering the living. He tends to remove the more violent and bothersome of spirits. In Black Light Buck is hired to protect a group of VP's who are traveling on the inaugural trip of a high speed train. The supernatural aspect enters when the reader learns the train needs to cut through an area known to be the 'Bermuda triangle' of restless ghosts. The book is written by Patrick Melton, Marcus...more
Daria Pechersky
2.5 stars.

I really like Melton & Dunstan as screenwriters, and that's the reason I bought the book. I was expecting much more from it.
I can't say that it's bad, because it has good moments. The problem is the story as a whole. I felt that the end is a bit of an anti-climax.

There were some elements that really annoyed me, and the funny thing is that these are the things that tend to come up at horror movies also, and ruin them.
There was one female character who I just hated, and the scenes w...more
Hope
It isn't often that a work of contemporary fiction comes along and opens up an entire world of infinite possibilities, yet Black Light achieves that effectively in its first few pages, and the authorial team of Melton, Dunstan, and Romano make it seem effortless. Black Light is one of the hidden treasures of 2011, and I cannot emphatically recommend this novel enough.

Introduced to an alternate version of our own reality through the funny, cynical, sympathetic, charming, intriguing, and mysteriou...more
Tim Niland
Buck Carlsbad is a private investigator, traveling the country taking jobs and pulling marks. Sounds pretty innocuous, right? Until you learn that Buck has a special gift, and that pulling marks means capturing wayward ghosts and poltergeists. Buck is scarred by thoughts a desolate stretch of Nevada where the ghosts of several notorious killers lie and where his parents themselves were killed. He tried to go there once before and was nearly killed himself by what lies in wait there. When he lear...more
Peapod
soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not worth it.
Ryan Daley
This imaginative paranormal suspenser is an interesting debut from the Saw screenwriters. Buck Carlsbad is a soul-eating psychic hired to protect the occupants of a super train as it rockets across a stretch of California desert that's haunted by nine convict ghosts. The novel is blessed with rich, vivid descriptions and some well-written action, but the cast of supporting characters seems to number in the billions, and it can be frustrating trying to keep track of everybody.
Stephanie
This was a really good paranormal thriller. I found myself staying up late just flipping through the pages, not even realizing what time it was. Not to mention all the twists and turns in this story. If you think you know something, you don't. Although the beginning and parts of it were really slow and I wanted to just skip them to get to the action, every detail is important in this book. Sort of. You just have to really pay attention.
Michael
Worst book I've read in recent memory. First 20 percent was amazing and very original, but the last 80 was the equivalent of watching old people have sex. Stay away from this like the plague. Also, I could tell 3 people wrote this. Main character was boring and the pushed too hard about him being a bad ass. Not only do I want my 12.99 back but I want a paycheck because reading this felt like a job.
Cody
This book has a lot of detail in the ghost scenes which make it easy to feel the pain the main character is feeling. It puts almost 100 pages into history and background after 2 cool action scenes, so as long as you can make it through that I promise you its worth it. There is plenty of blood, action and gore to make this book a 4 star read, but not too much to make it a gross kinda book. enjoy :)
17/07 - Only 30 pages in and I was already starting to see some holes in the story. Came to see what others thought of the book and read reviews that confirmed my worst fears. I wasn't enjoying it as much as I would have expected from the front cover, description and hype of the three authors so it was easy to move this from currently reading to did not finish, will not reread.
Nicole-danielle
I almost gave up. The book felt draggy, long winded, and boring, and towards the end, it got interesting. I was really amazed by the twists, turns and I was really into the book. I somewhat enjoyed it, but the book didnt grab me from the start. Initially, it was me, telling myself that I had to finish it, but at the end, I was glad I did :)
Paul
WoW! I haven't read a book since college and was happy this was the 1st book I read to get me back into this hobby. I was blown away with all the detail and the excellent story. I highly recommend this book for older audiences.
Joe Jones
This was a tough book for me. I almost quit reading it several times. I liked the twist on how the main character Buck Carlsbad gets rid of spirits. The idea of the Black Light was cool too. I just kept hoping for more though.
Meredith
I read 2 chapters and put it down. The writing was a bit too convoluted for my taste. It was as if they were trying too hard to sound literary or eloquent with their words.
Scott Shoyer
Took me a little bit to get into this one (about 100 pages), but in glad I stuck with it. Fun, action filled story w/ an interesting lead character & it has a noir-edge to it.
Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else]
To be totally honest, I may not end up going back to this one. I wasn't loving it, and it's been over a year since I put it down...
  • Southern Gods
  • Hell and Gone
  • The Black Train
  • The Dead Letters
  • The Five
  • Sarah Court
  • Water Witch
  • Ghosts of Coronado Bay (Maya Blair Mysteries, #1)
  • From Vegas with Blood
  • Enter, Night
  • Coffin County
  • Anatomy of a Kidnapping: A Doctor's Story
  • Attack of the Vampire Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #5)
  • Haunted Lily: The Nightmare Ball
  • Rock & Roll Homicide
  • Juggernaut (Outpost, #0.5)
  • Destruction from Twins (Lor Mandela, #1)
  • Warmed and Bound: A Velvet Anthology