Start by marking “Silence: The Mystery of Wholeness” as Want to Read:
Silence: The Mystery of Wholeness

Silence: The Mystery of Wholeness

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
With its beautifully rich prose, Robert Sardello's newest book invites us to experience silence as a companion presence, a creative heart-felt experience that renews, restores, and deepens the body's response to the internal and external world. Drawing on images and ideas from the Trials of St. Anthony, Anthroposophy, Depth Psychology, and Phenomenology, the book delves de ...more
Published June 14th 2011 by North Atlantic Books (first published November 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silence

Jenn Hillman
Jan 03, 2011 Jenn Hillman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: spiritual-minded, open-mind, curious
Recommended to Jenn by: Robert Simmons
Perhaps it is the frame of mind I was in at the time of reading this book... Valley Fever had caught up with me again, so I was unable to do much of anything but read, meditation, sleep and dream. This book changed my vision of life through connection and the dance with the deep sense and reality of the Silence. Rich texture with a understanding of the nuances of the stillness, that quiet moments when the mind wanders off into another space and time. I felt the Silence with its invitation, guard ...more
Ron
Oct 20, 2011 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Goodreads review accompanying the duplication of the book cover is a good summary of the experience of reading Sardello's volume. Deceptively short, full of meaning, for me "Silence" was a sleeper, an unexpected powerhouse of relevance. The last 4 chapters (6,7,8,and 9) were similar to a few esoteric writings I had read several years ago, but Sardello's fluency and ability to describe obscure processes in clear minded terms is truly impressive. I particularly enjoyed reading "Making a Cleari ...more
Glen Grunau
Oct 17, 2015 Glen Grunau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A remarkable book on silence, probably one of the most unusual books I have ever read on this topic. Sardello recognizes in the very first sentence of his book that all spiritual traditions value silence. However, because he does not identify with any particular religion or spiritual persuasion, his influence is likely far more broad than if he was simply targeting a Christian audience. It is only in the very last chapter where he even mentions prayer by name and allows for the prayer of words t ...more
Elizabeth Andrew
If you can tolerate the spiritual abstractions, Sardello's book is the best exploration of the anatomy, dynamism, and gifts of silence I've ever read. I was especially moved by his idea that silence is a third presence participating in our relationships, and that we tend our relationship when we tend this silence.

The very form of our thinking has to be re-formed from “thinking about” to “thinking within,” and Silence is the teacher. … Silence is intelligence. … As we enter into Silence, we enter
Jim
Jan 27, 2016 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found more beauty and silence in Cheryl Sanders-Sardello's bridge pieces than I did in Robert Sardello's book. There was a clinical or commercial feel to where he was leading me (to his school perhaps?). In the end I felt like the recipient in Leonard Cohen's poem, "Gift":

You tell me that silence
is nearer to peace than poems
but if for my gift
I brought you silence
(for I know silence)
you would say
This is not silence
this is another poem
and you would hand it back to me
Harry Allagree
May 24, 2013 Harry Allagree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got the cue for this book from Fr. Richard Rohr's citing it in his own book, Immortal Diamond. Sardello's book isn't a work to be rushed through. Though it's only a 120-some pages, it took a bit of time for me to get through it, and even then I surely didn't absorb the full richness of what it presents. Sardello writes "gently" and reaches deep into one's spirit. If one were to take his advice in learning silence as he describes it, it's likely that one's life & relationships would be sign ...more
Andrew Pritchard
A deep, poetic exploration of silence. In my reading Sardello portrays silence not as a 'thing' but as a 'mysterious other' ... God. I resonate with this. This book invites participation - experience and practice ... silence within relationship and silence and healing being two themes that stood out for me. Worth re-reading, probably every few years.
Carol Zellner
Feb 15, 2015 Carol Zellner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most profound books I have ever read. It is also one of the least understood books I have ever read. I plan to return to it often.
May 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For a book about silence this one has way too many words. While I found the content of this book interesting and eye opening; I had to wade through way too many words. Furthermore, I did not connect with the writer's prose. I would however recommend anyone interested in learning and practicing silence in their lives to make an attempt to read this book because, there are some very good concepts within (once you wade through the verbose text).
Ron
Nov 10, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just started. Too soon to tell much except that the author seems to be conveying much more than entertainment or elucidation. Interaction with the book as a living work and body of material seems a major part of the author's intent.r

Update 11-10-11. Completed read. Initial impressions remain same. This will be at the top of my list for a reread. Small on size, big on content. There are many layers to this author.
Carol
Jun 25, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, this book requires more than one reading. The first reading has enticed me to read it again with time to try out all the various exercises. I do not doubt what Sardello is writing about the heart as an organ not only that pumps blood but that knows--that has been a biblical truism, but he tells us how to get to that knowing. I think this is a book I have to live with for awhile.
Mary
Nov 28, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for people who are searching for that mysterious something, but shy away from all organized ways of defining that something, such as psychology or any kind of spiritual path. Sardello gives great descriptions of that mystery, which he calls Silence, and ALSO practical suggestions of how to cultivate it for oneself.
David Mullens
May 18, 2010 David Mullens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit hesitant, but it turned out to be a pretty good book, although some parts were kind of all (like the parts about spirit beings). Could have been that I am not familiar with some of the language and terms. Silence is kind of an esoteric subject and parts of this book show that. Although, there were parts that were very good.
Meg
Dec 04, 2013 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Looking past the fairies and gnomes, this book has a lot to offer on Silence as a way of being in the world... interesting practices to bring the power of space, pause and wholeness forward in daily life. The roots of the work are in anthroposophy, but really, includes all spiritual paths.
Sheryl Valentine
I really enjoyed reading this book. So much that I have discovered in my own forays into Silence is contained in the book.
IN the last few years I have learned how to enter the Silence, and learned how to silence "my" thoughts and it has had a major difference in my life.
Kate  Jones
Jan 06, 2013 Kate Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do not expect to rush through this book, or you will miss its beauty. Find a quiet niche on a rainy day and spend time understanding how Silence will empower you. This is a book rich in introspection and highly recommended.
Scott Hopkins
Began today.... much more esoteric (at least in the beginning) than the book "Soul Silence" that I posted last time. Poetic in its prose and theoretical in its approach. Lofty... at times.
Sandra
Nov 27, 2015 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandra by: Cynthia Bourgeault
The kind of book I finish and just want to start reading again immediately.

Andrea

I need to own this book!
Karin
Karin is currently reading it
Feb 11, 2016
Kris Ann
Kris Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Stuart Eglin
Stuart Eglin rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Mary Dorothy Shelton
Mary Dorothy Shelton rated it did not like it
Jan 28, 2016
Bobbie N
Bobbie N rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Zachary Hoover
Zachary Hoover rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Dale Lyles
Dale Lyles marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Rogene
Rogene rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Heiki Eesmaa
Heiki Eesmaa marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Laura Walton
Laura Walton marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015