Start by marking “The Time of the Uprooted: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Time of the Uprooted: A Novel

The Time of the Uprooted: A Novel

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  171 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Gamaliel Friedman is only a child when his family flees Czechoslovakia in 1939 for the relative safety of Hungary. For him, it will be the beginning of a life of rootlessness, disguise, and longing. Five years later, in desperation, Gamalielâs parents entrust him to a young Christian cabaret singer named Ilonka. With his Jewish identity hidden, Gamaliel survives the war. B ...more
Published February 6th 2007 by Schocken (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Time of the Uprooted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time of the Uprooted

Juanita
Jan 31, 2016 Juanita rated it liked it
Shelves: america
Review: The Time of The Uprooted by Elie Wiesel.

I thought the novel was well written but filled with unjust hope and despair. I have read some of Elie Wiesel 19s non-fiction and got through the rough parts but this story hit a lot of triggers for me at this time. The story kept me in deep thought while reading about the main character, Gamaliel 19s low life thoughts and perils that he brought on to himself. Yes, I feel he was a Hungarian refugee, he had no home, no nation, and he never did achie
Steve Kettmann
May 02, 2010 Steve Kettmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review published in the San Francisco Chronicle in 2005:

The Time of the Uprooted

By Elie Wiesel, translated by David Hapgood

KNOPF; 300 PAGES; $25

Elie Wiesel has been a public figure so long that his ideas and warnings have at times taken on a too-familiar air, despite their timeless importance. It has already been 20 years since Wiesel played his most prominent public role, famously imploring President Ronald Re
Cynthia Egbert
Jul 20, 2010 Cynthia Egbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! I love Professor Wiesel and his ability to use words so beautifully. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It is not only a beautiful story, it is also filled with beautiful words and terrific insight into human nature. Here are a few of the MANY quotes that I found as I read this book...

"I look around for my benefactor. He's vanished. But he was there at the right time, as if he had lived only to appear at my side when I needed an ally. A helping hand from fate? The cynics are wrong;
Albert Kendrick
The first 65 pages of this novel I was wanting to put it down, to put it back on the shelf and admit my mistake. The protagonist is a ghost writer by trade, and the novel contains excerpts from a novel he is writing with the intent of publishing it under his own name. I thought the novel within the novel was terrible, but I am thinking that was how I was supposed to feel about it. I struggled, though, to understand the relevance. It was to be his great accomplishment, the establishment of his ow ...more
Ally Armistead
2.5 stars for Elie Wiesel's "The Time of The Uprooted," but really wanted to love it more.

The novel conceit, itself, is beautiful, as the story follows a Hungarian Jewish man as he attempts to resolve his past as a refugee, a loner, and a survivor of the Jewish Holocaust. Asked to assist in the identification of an old woman who may have been the saintly maternal figure who saved, hid, and disguised him during Nazi-occupied Hungary, the narrator must come face to face with all the women in his
Bookmarks Magazine

Starting with Night (1958), Wiesel, who survived the Nazi concentration camps of Auschwitz and Buchenwald, has testified against Holocaust atrocities and revealed the collective Jewish experience in more than 40 works of fiction and nonfiction. Recipient of the 1986 Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts on behalf of oppressed people, Wiesel has become the spokesman for a lost generation. His newest novel, like his other work, raises moral questions about love, faith, survival, politics, and exile. A

Julie
Oct 10, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine my surprise (embarrassment, really) at realizing Elie Wiesel, one of my favorite authors, has written like 40 books...not just Night. Where the heck have I BEEN??

The Time of the Uprooted was beautifully written, painful as it is to read. Gamaliel must face his past and all that happened to him as a survivor of the Holocaust. But as he confronts his past (and he even mentions this in his thoughts), is he really a "survivor"? Did all these Holocaust "survivors" really survive family death
Argos
Mar 03, 2016 Argos rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Çocukluktan toplama kamına kadar nazilerin yahudilere uyguladığı zulüm ve soykırımı yaşamış birinden daha derinlikli ve etkileyici bir roman beklenirdi. Basit ve monoton bir öykü bıl dini bilgi, talmud'dan alıntılarla adeta yahudilik tanıtım romanı gibi bir yazı çıkmış ortaya. Beğenmedim
Jackie
Aug 19, 2015 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are the Holocaust stories of four men who survived. Although this is fiction, there are many such stories and many versions of the truth. Very well written.
Sue Getman
Feb 02, 2016 Sue Getman rated it it was ok
I started it October 2012 but could not get into it...seemed too disjointed
Sharon Benedict
Sep 17, 2015 Sharon Benedict rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of back and forth, but an interesting story.
Leslie-ann
Jun 25, 2009 Leslie-ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are books that change the way we perceive the world thus altering our entire existence. This is one of them.

I would do anything in the world to teach this book to high school students. Of all the books I have read in the past five years, I claim this to be one of the most important.
Mary
Oct 02, 2013 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-read
I was disappointed that this book was just OK because I so much enjoy his works. It was very philosophical; it made me think that Wiesel is an old man who is still reliving the Holocaust and is expressing his own torment and yearning for meaning as he approaches the end of his own life.
Gretchen
Nov 25, 2007 Gretchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Uprooted seems to be a continual theme in the books that Mr. Wiesel writes. No one understands or pens better how this changes a person. I was pulled into this story from the start and I left equally as touched as when I read Night years ago. His works and his life are an inspiration.
Deborah
Jan 15, 2014 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serious-fiction
Beautiful story about the role Love plays in our lives. What is the nature of hate? Is it really the absence of love or is it the result of loving too much.
Robin
The feeling of rootlessness is effectively portrayed in this story. Just as I would start to feel my feet beneath me and begin to enjoy the narrative, Wiesel would change direction again. It wasn't enjoyable. But maybe it wasn't supposed to be.
Hong
Dec 27, 2007 Hong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
very very engaging. elie wiesel is a fine writer, the way everything connects, how all the stories and the past links together is fascinating.
and i love the part when the ending unfolds, it just made me smile. very well written.
Hanaan
Sep 04, 2007 Hanaan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although really a book about refugees, it was filled with interesting insights into human thought and behavior. In his typical way Wiesel can take a historical tragedy and make it relevant to anyone. I highly recommend it. Very thoughtful.
TJ
Apr 15, 2007 TJ rated it did not like it
Shelves: classics
Read it b/c I like Elie Weisel. Would probably give it a 1.5 stars if I could. It was interesting, but a little too random for me- moving around in time and memory. It didn't speak to me. But not horrible written or anything.
Alex
Jan 02, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book...one of my favorites in the last year. There are layer and layers of compelling theological ideas. And I so appreciate Wiesel's struggle with suffering. This book has become a dear companion.
Faye
Nov 02, 2007 Faye rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite from Wiesel, whose stories usually capture me. I had a hard time getting into it and difficulty remembering to go back to it. Stick with his better known classics.
Erin
I can't say I really read this. I got to the point where the children were sent away by their parents to escape the Nazis and just couldn't continue.
Kara
Apr 09, 2010 Kara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get into it. The beginning was so disjointed, I couldn't figure out what was going on. Gave up after about half an hour.
Ania
Jul 28, 2008 Ania rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I didn't really love this book. I found it kind of choppy and sometimes difficult to follow.
Shon Rand
Powerful themes, but not as good as other works by Wiesel.
Hannah Holmes
Hannah Holmes marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Micah Traje
Micah Traje marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Olivia Winter
Olivia Winter is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2016
  • Anne Frank
  • A láthatatlan ember
  • Under a Red Sky: Memoir of a Childhood in Communist Romania
  • Music of a Life
  • Valerie Solanas: The Defiant Life of the Woman Who Wrote SCUM (and Shot Andy Warhol)
  • The Singing Fire: A Novel
  • The War Against the Jews: 1933-1945
  • Paul Celan: Poet, Survivor, Jew
  • Dorothy Dandridge
  • Just Revenge
  • The Broken Tower: The Life of Hart Crane
Eliezer Wiesel is a Romania-born American novelist, political activist, and Holocaust survivor of Hungarian Jewish descent. He is the author of over 40 books, the best known of which is Night, a memoir that describes his experiences during the Holocaust and his imprisonment in several concentration camps.

Wiesel was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986. The Norwegian Nobel Committee called him a "
More about Elie Wiesel...

“There are so many who know more than I do, who understand the world better than I do. I would be truly learned, a great scholar, if only I could retain everything I've learned from those I have known. But then would I still be me? And isn't all that only words? Words grow old, too; they change their meaning and their usage. They get sick just as we do; they die of their wounds and then they are relegated to the dust of dictionaries.

And where am I in all this?”
8 likes