Start by marking “The Candymakers” as Want to Read:
The Candymakers

The Candymakers (The Candymakers #1)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  16,862 Ratings  ·  1,513 Reviews
*This is an Advanced Readers Copy*

Four children have been chosen to compete in a national competition to find the tastiest confection in the country. Who will invent a candy more delicious than the Oozing Crunchorama or the Neon Lightning Chew?

Logan, the Candymaker's son, who can detect the color of chocolate by touch alone?

Miles, the boy who is allergic to merry-go-rounds
Audio CD
Published 2011 by Recorded Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Candymakers, please sign up.

Claire Vanderlaan
Reading Vacation
REVIEW

Do not read this book if you are hungry. Don’t say I didn’t warn you! The Candymakers is a clever middle grade book about four children in a national candy-making contest. Yummy!

The book begins from Logan’s perspective. He actually lives in the candy factory, and his account of things is pretty nuts-and-bolts. Ah, but then the point-of-view changes to the other kids (Miles, Daisy, and Philip). That’s when things really get interesting! With each perspective, I learned something new. I also
Vonia
This book reminds me why I always tell fellow readers to give young adult books a chance. The only complaint I have about The Candymakers is due to the fact that these books are unfortunately targeted towards young adult readers rather than adults that are young at heart. (Guess which category I fall into?)

On that note, the only real problems I had were the same reasons this was not targeted to me. Again, unfortunately. The sentences were more concise and simple then I believe necessary for tee
Rissa Flores
Jan 22, 2013 Rissa Flores rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-review
It's time for the annual candy making competition! At the Life is Sweet candy factory, things are definitely much more exciting. Four 12-year-olds with their own stories to tell: Logan; the Candymaker's son, Daisy; a girl with a huge secret, Miles; an innocent thoughtful boy with a hidden past, and Phillip; a young contestant seeking revenge. As the Confectionary's Association's Annual Convention goes nearer, the contestants find themselves all facing an unlikely turn of events.

A book of unli
The Library Lady
Important note:I got a copy of this at ALA in June, passed it to my 11 year old, and she really enjoyed it. That's a far better recommendation than mine or any other grownups...
This is being compared to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, in which 5 kids win a contest to tour a magical candy factory. But here 4 kids are at a wonderful but very non-magical candy factory to COMPETE in a contest, and we see the 2 days they spend together in turn from each child's point of view--and each child's voic
Sonya
Mar 24, 2013 Sonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Candymakers is a well written book by Wendy Mass.The beginning of this book is retold 4 different times, each for one of the characters perspectives. Logan, Miles, Daisy and Phillip are finally 12, old enough to enter the Candy- making competition, something they've been waiting to enter for a long time. This book is fun, and great for readers with a sweet tooth!
Zoejimmy Rollins
Great book! A good surprise around every corner. It made me hungry. :)
Destinee Sutton
Jul 01, 2010 Destinee Sutton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 9-12
I picked this up at ALA with much excitement. It was described to me as "Willy Wonka meets Mysterious Benedict Society" and I liked at least one of Wendy Mass's previous books. As I started in on it, I was pleased to find decent jokes, a quick-ish pace, and lots of mouth-watering candy descriptions. The structure of the book is interesting too: Each of the four main characters (Logan, Miles, Daisy, and Philip) narrate separate sections of the book. So after we've read Logan's POV, we go back in ...more
Amy
Mar 05, 2017 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Ella
This book was clever and fun but slow. I forced myself through most of it. I might have liked it more if I were younger. It was imaginative and creative, especially with the 4 different POVs, but the pacing drove me crazy. I liked Daisy and Philip's POVs the best, though it took me several pages to realize Daisy wasn't just recounting a dream, but reality.
I really wanted to like this one, but I couldn't get into it. Logan was a little too perfect. It didn't get interesting until it got crazy...
Wendy Hall
Haven had been asking me to read this book for many months. She loved it and was sure that I would. I finally got a kindle and it was the first full book I read on it, since it was already on our account. The first section was not what I wanted to read. Think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory meets Mary Poppins - very heavy on the candy and the adjectives, low on plot content. I threatened to Haven to stop reading numerous times. Heck, I don't even like candy (for real - I don't). She begged me ...more
Eli
Aug 20, 2014 Eli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a witty book abut the most famous candy factory in a fictional world. Many children are competing to make the best new candy invention. This is a ritual which has been used before to find the next owner of the candy factory. Nate, the previous owners son, is determined to make the best candy. But will he?

This is a great book, I personally loved it. If you enjoyed this book, I would recommend the book Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library or The Candy Shop War!
Mo
Jul 04, 2014 Mo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. I was worried that it would be too close to Charlie and Chocolate Factory but it's very different. The story is fun and unexpected and the characters are totally loveable.
Janie  Lee
Dec 11, 2016 Janie Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet and amazing book!
Wendi Lee
Jul 16, 2017 Wendi Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RTC
Max
Jun 01, 2017 Max rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its really great! I recommend it to people who like mystery. :D
Lelita P.
Nov 08, 2014 Lelita P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.3 / 5

Saya butuh waktu cukup lama untuk melewati bagian-bagian awalnya, yang bagi saya agak membosankan dan terlalu "Charlie" (merujuk pada Charlie and the Chocolate Factory karya Roald Dahl). Tapi setelah berhasil melewati bagian pertama itu, saya mulai tenggelam dalam ceritanya. The Candy Makers ini layaknya sebuah puzzle karena dikupas dari berbagai sudut pandang tapi pada akhirnya semua merujuk pada satu kesimpulan yang sama, membentuk satu cerita utuh ketika setiap keping telah diletakkan
Tamsen
Nov 16, 2012 Tamsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miles, the boy who is allergic to merry-go-rounds and the color pink?
Daisy, the cheerful girl who can lift a fifty-pound lump of taffy like it's a feather?
Or Philip, the suit-and-tie wearing boy who's alway
Emma
Dec 23, 2011 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH MY GOSH I LOVED THIS BOOK!! LOVED IT!!! Wendy Mass is definitely one of my favorite authors, and this book blew me away. It's really creative because you get to read the story from each of the characters' perspectives, just like her book Every Soul A Star. And I will admit, at the very beginning I was a bit bored, but everything changed after I started reading from the other characters' points of views! I just grew to love each character, and my views of them changed so much! I ended up think ...more
Astrid Lim
Enjoyable! Candy factory, food galore, sweetness overload, quirky friendship and some juicy puzzles. Really my kind of middle grade book! The unique part of this book is the way Wendy Mass wrote the story. We were given the opportunity to see the meaningful two days of candy making competition from different of views of the four main characters: Logan, the son of the Candy Maker; Miles, the depressed kid who likes to talk about the afterlife; April, the mysterious girl who has the most wonderful ...more
Shandy Yeo
Apr 19, 2014 Shandy Yeo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kisah yang sangat manis. Lebih manis daripada permen manapun di dunia. Awalnya, saya mengira ini adalah novel fantasi. Ternyata saya salah. Novel ini lebih mengarah ke fiksi ilmiah. Tepatnya literatur anak dengan tambahan sedikit fiksi ilmiah.

Cerita dalam novel ini tentang empat anak yang mengikuti kontes membuat permen tahunan saat usia dua belas tahun. Novel ini menceritakan kisah empat orang anak dari sudut pandang masing-masing dan tentunya tiap tokoh saling berhubungan. Dari bagian awal hi
Abigail
Mar 13, 2015 Abigail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so much fun! Beware, it gets you craving chocolate. This book is about 4 kids that want to win a confectionery contest for the most craveable candy the nation has seen. The book switches from the perspective of Logan to Daisy to Miles and finally to the perspective of Phillip. A mystery slowly unfolds to anyone's surprise. All of the characters have different personalities and talents, making the culprit of the crime hard to fathom. I would recommend this book to anybody from 10 to ...more
Meredith
Dec 09, 2014 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle, food, arcs
So much more than I thought it was going to be...& a lot of fun. Lots of twists, red herrings, great characters, and a candy factory...of course it's a fun read. The plot and details are fantastic (in the sense that they are scarcely believable), but the fun makes up for it.

Points too for the structure: each character telling their experience of the story allows for layers that are fun to peel back as you read it over again. Fun, fun, fun. Sweet. & Fun.
Logan Sudholz
I thought this book was just too long and not very clear....i guess it was ok....
Naomi Campbell
I saw this book sitting on the shelf at a book fair and texted the title to myself so I could check it out later. I did and I liked it. We have read several Wendy Mass books, and most of them I have really enjoyed. She kept it real on this one, and I really appreciated it. Fun little mystery, lovable kids, happy little camaraderie and yet some of the parents DO even make an appearance and add in on a bit of the mystery. (Sometimes there are NO parents in these books, like, they just don't ever a ...more
Theresa Grissom
Jun 21, 2017 Theresa Grissom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, 5th, 4th, 3rd
I ended up really enjoying this book! When I first started, I thought I would be reading a Willy Wonka remake but this book ended up being so much more than I first expected! Love the format it was written in. And I love a book with surprises! I think the upper elementary kids at school will enjoy this one!
Josiah
Jul 05, 2011 Josiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"'Why do you like books so much?' he asked.
Miles answered without taking his face away from the window. 'You never know what you'll learn when you open one. And if it's a story, you sort of fall into it. Then you live there for a while, instead of, you know, living here.'"

The Candymakers, P. 118

"Some people have scars on the inside, and other people's are on the outside. It shouldn't matter."

—Logan Sweet, The Candymakers, P. 423

I really think that this might be my surprise book of the yea
Julian
The candymakers is about four kid named logan, miles, daisy, and philip who are going to compete in a candy making contest named the National candymaking competition but soon into the competition the find themselves in a world of mouth watering suprises when someone is caught trying to steal a secret formula for candymaking.

I would recommend this book to anybody who loves suspence, twist and betrayals.
Gabi
Jun 14, 2017 Gabi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always have food by you when you read this book. This book is a crazy mystery involving a lot of candy. Warning: this book will make you very hungry if you haven't ate in a while.
Bethany Turner
Apr 14, 2017 Bethany Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bethany by: Bailey Planton
The Candymakers is a fun, sweet, and clever book about four kids competing in the national candy making competition. Mass tells the story from each child's perspective, and it is just perfect.
Lidya
I like the four ways of perceptions revealed every characters' point of view slowly. Good pacing to fill in the missing links. This particular method of story telling might come off as redundant, yet it's still appealing to me as every action they took came off from their background stories.

I think Wendy's point is spot on by her way of telling the story: "Don't judge people, for everybody is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind."

This kind of trope encourages young reader to feel mo
Dialogue- The Candymakers 2 8 Mar 29, 2016 05:55PM
  • A Whole Nother Story
  • The Five Lives of Our Cat Zook
  • Falling In
  • Double Dog Dare
  • The Potato Chip Puzzles (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #2)
  • Floors
  • Mousenet
  • Pie
  • Melonhead
  • Scumble (Savvy, #2)
  • We the Children (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #1)
Wendy Mass is the author of six novels for young people, including A Mango-Shaped Space (which was awarded the Schneider Family Book Award by the American Library Association), Leap Day, the Twice Upon a Time fairy tale series, and Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life, which earned a starred review in Publishers Weekly magazine. Her most recent book is Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall. Wendy wrote ...more
More about Wendy Mass...

The Candymakers (2 books)
  • The Candymakers and the Great Chocolate Chase

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.” 319 likes
“If nothing ever changed, there would be no such things as butterflies.” 139 likes