Bloodchild and other Stories

Bloodchild and other Stories

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Published July 1st 2003 by Seven Stories Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodchild and other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodchild and other Stories

Roxanne
This short story collection is excellent! It includes five stories by Butler, who considers herself much more a novelist than a short story writer. The stories are all terrific: "Speech Sounds" won the Hugo for best short story in 1984, and "Bloodchild" won for best novelette in 1985, so that's pretty awesome. (I love crossing things off the Hugo list.) The collection also includes two short essays at the end about writing and about how Butler became a writer. They're fun and very accessible.

An...more
David Spencer
This is the first short fiction I've read by Octavia Butler, and I love her style and her concepts. The breakdown that she gives at the end of every story and essay feels intimate and matter-of-fact, something I appreciate a great deal. I actually find the way that Butler thinks about things to be really in line with the way that I do, although she has an extra persistence and courage that I feel that I lack.

"Bloodchild" was fantastic, and the ending wrenched me in many directions at once...I r...more
Beth
I am not really a short story lover. They often end too quickly leaving me wanting more. I do however, love Octavia Butler. Her short story ideas are wonderful, full of creative energy and for the most part, well written. I enjoyed some stories more than others and of course wish some of them had not been so short. I especially enjoyed that she wrote a little about each story after it ended to tell what inspired it, etc. This gave me some real insight into her thinking and about the stories them...more
Stacey
A quick read and intriguing introduction to Butler's writing (I know! I too am incredulous that I've never read any Octavia Butler before now!) She states pretty unequivocally that she is more interested in the long form, so although only a couple of the short stories resonated with me, I'm very interested to continue on with her novels.
Chivon
I wasn't sure what to expect this this book especially when I found out that it was science fiction. It was a quick fun read. I realized that I do like science fiction. Blood Child was not my favorite short story in this book but they all had an interesting plot that made you think for a minute when you were finished reading it. I would definatley recommend this book to someone who is looking to read something a little different and out of the ordinary.
Megan
I first read this book when I was 17. I have searched for it ever since. Finally, I realized I could just buy it on the Internet. The first story "Blood Child", stuck in my brain vivid and aIive. I had forgotten the subsequent stories; they are wonderful. Octavia Butler's writing digs into your brain, like trichinosis. I love that, when I can get that reaction from a book. Some people find it unpleasant. My father read the first story and put the book down. He said it was too scary and he didn't...more
Katie
Includes a pregnant man story; what more could you want?
Jonathan Scotese
I've come across a few of Octavia Butler's short stories before. They were good but not amazing. I didn't seek out her work to read until now.

The title story is one of the best Sci-fi stories I have read. Normally I can understand why a characters has the emotional reactions they have to events, but in this story I was feeling those right alongside the character. I'm still not sure how much my judgment on the situation is impaired by my emotions and how much it is impaired by overcompensating fo...more
Rachael
everything she writes is brilliant! instead of an introduction -at the end of each story there is a little snippet from butler talking about her inspiration/etc for the story. it's awesome to feel like you get to be in a book club with the author AFTER you had a chance to just absorb the story on its own merits, without influence.
jiawei Ong
I am mind-blowed by Bloodchild, a collection of mind-blowing short stories written by Octavia E. Butler. I have read similar structural novels before, each bearing a collection of random but connected short stories, and Bloodchild can be ranked as the highest among books with collective stories, because each and every story is intriguing to the point that makes imagining further on chilling. My favorite story is “Bloodchild,” the title piece itself, because “Bloodchild” is about humans enslaved...more
Oyster
After earning two of the most coveted awards of the genre, the “grand dame of science fiction” didn’t stop there: she was also awarded a MacArthur Genius Award. The stories here reveal the pitfalls of human nature, even when they’re set on distant planets. Genius, indeed.
Oyster
Paige
Asides from being one of the best technical writers in the science fiction genre, Octavia Butler has a knack for the surreal, painting the kind of story that's all too good at haunting you into an uneasy sleep.
Ceels
How come I've never heard of her before? Some of the best Science Fiction I've read.
Kathleen
For the most part, I liked these short stories and the point of view of the author. Several of the stories had a story line that was original and refreshing.
Tim

Positive Obsession (Essay) *****
Furor Scribendi (Essay) ***
Amnesty (New) *****
The Book of Martha (New) ***

Apparently, the version I read is missing two stories, so it looks like I will have to track the other version. Update: Read the two new stories.
Cairo Amani
This book has become my bible! I am so sad it took me this long to jump onto the Butler chain but i've found something that is just invaluable to my writing
Deanna
I devoured this book and savored every last phrase and afterword. It is a small collection of short stories in speculative fiction by Ocatavia Butler. Her stories were amazing even if at times a bit gruesome. Her brief personal story was inspiring as well. She is someone that I wish I could have known. I would recommend for any reader of speculative fiction and any writers out there. Loved it!
HeavyReader
This collection includes five short stories and two essays. The writing is very substantial, but still understandable and engaging. I enjoyed reading the short stories, and the essays gave good advice for writers.
epstuk
Each story was enthralling and really made you think about our society and where it's headed. The stories are short, the book is short, I'd read more of her work anytime.
Josh
Great stories with commentary the way it should be done--as afterwards, as Butler says, so nothing need be held back for fear of spoiling the storyline for the reader.
A. Gamble
Great stories, with interesting backgrounds, plus two inspirational essays.
Andrew
Sep 08, 2011 Andrew added it
I have the older edition without the two stories from SciFiction.
Desiree

Great collection of sci-fi short stories!
Sarina
Sarina is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Octavia Estelle Butler was an American science fiction writer, one of the best-known among the few African-American women in the field. She won both Hugo and Nebula awards. In 1995, she became the first science fiction writer to receive the MacArthur Foundation "Genius" Grant.
More about Octavia E. Butler...
Kindred Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1) Fledgling Dawn (Xenogenesis, #1) Parable of the Talents (Earthseed, #2)