The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)

The Black Sun (Tom Kirk #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,060 ratings  ·  55 reviews
A year has passed since Tom Kirk, the world's greatest art thief, decided to put his criminal past behind him and embark on a new career on the right side of the law. Then three major thefts occur and suddenly Tom is confronted with a deadly mystery and a sinister face from the past.
Published December 1st 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Sun

Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com].)

Okay, I admit it! I'm a sucker for Hidden Secret Nazi Gold Action Adventure stories! What can I tell ya, man -- I like millions of other Americans can't get enough of them crazy fascist secret-society obsessives, and all their supposed billions of hidden money and art and treasure all over the world at the end of World War II, lots of which is supposedly still hidden and un-recovered. And thus do we get to Briti...more
Sandie
Jul 15, 2008 Sandie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy historical fiction and spy thrillers
The Black Sun provides everything readers crave in a historical mystery: entertainment, suspense, a vicarious trip to previously unexplored venues and, finally, the enjoyment of experiencing a writers' magnificent "spin" on historical events.

Even if you are not a fan of thrillers that relate to events and occurrences circa WWII, this book will make you one. While other authors may have already explored some of the subjects put forth in this endeavor (The Hungarian Gold Train, the strange goings...more
Nancy Oakes
Book #2 featuring Twining's hero, Tom Kirk, a now former professional thief, who along with his pal Archie have gone legit in the antiques business. If you've read the Double Eagle by the same author, this one is much better.

A brief synopsis with no spoilers:

As the book opens, Tom is in Prague talking to a rabbi of a synagogue there about some terrible defacing done to the inside and outside of the building. Everything has been graffiti'd with Nazi markings, and there was something taken -- a p...more
Josh
Now this is how you do an action-adventure thriller! "The Black Sun" is a furiously addictive read that plows forward towards an exciting conclusion full of double crosses, plot twists, and page after page of escapes and narrow misses. So much fun.

The main thrust of the story is the search for the Amber Room which supposedly vanished at the end of World War II as the Nazis were trying to hide a train filled with stolen items from Jewish concentration camp prisoners. The book by James Twining in...more
Tiffany
This is the loosely related second book to The Double Eagle. The book is about a former art thief is who led on a hunt for Nazi paraphenalia, which eventually leads to murder and the discovery of a secret group of Nazi SS knights from WWII. The story takes place in present-day. I love the history displayed in this novel with the WWII theme. A very fast-paced story and a quick, interesting read!
Jon Mamaril
...like James Twining's first book "Double Eagles,"
this novel's plot had a lot of promise going for
it. Definitely good plot, good beginning but not
so great ending. Down-turn for this novel began
(for me) just about midway into it, and completely
ran out of steam 2/3 into the book. ...finished
the novel just for the sake of finishing it.
But I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends.
aoi aka
This was a slow book at first, but the plot started to move along pretty quickly after everything was in place.

The thing that attracted me to read this was the big Iron Cross on the cover. The story is about a former art thief named Tom and it involved the theft of a painting, the death of an armed guard to steal an Enigma machine and the search for something that turned out to be not what we all thought it was throughout the book.

This is the second book in a series. I didn't read the first one,...more
Karyn Gustafson
Just finished this one 4/19/08- both of the books I've read by this author were great! I had to stay up until I'd finished them- I really hope he's writing some more.
Chris Wright
Another great book in the Tom Kirk series. The Amber Room is fascinating and good to see the consistency in characters bringing back what i'm a fan of.
John
Fantastic... Tom Kirk is back...

Loved this... but not quite as much as Double Eagle.

Still a great read in its' own right though.
Hildy Peterson
Grade: D+

Exciting but implausibility ruined it.
James
What can I say? I liked it. I liked it a lot.

The plot line was... eventful, to say the least, and managed to twist reality so well to make you question what actually happened in the past. In this way it was a perfect historical thriller, in which, just like in Dan Brown's Da Vinci code, I found myself believing the spiel I was being fed.

The characters also developed brilliantly from the first book, and while I was a little bit disappointed with Viktor who seemed to be a throw away character - d...more
Ken Prescott
Kerry
The book runs nicely expanding and developing the main characters set out in book 1 with the exception of Jenifer.

I felt Victor was a strong character who could have gone further, perhaps reappearing in further books and it seems to me a sad to have invested in her charter just to lose her.

The plot is the nice combination of action/thriller with a historical underpinning and I already have the next book lined up ready to go.

John Onoda
The Black Sun is a mash up of Indiana Jones, James Bond and Robert Langdon type adventures. The hero, Tom Kirk, races against Nazi's and their offspring to claim a deadly treasure hidden during the fall of the Third Reich. Exactly what the treasure is remains in question until the very end. The story jumps around Europe and also involves the Russian mafia, British Intelligence and other secret organizations. There is some real historical research underpinning the story's main concept and, for me...more
Don
Action from start to finish!
Tim Pendry
A quick read and an unmemorable thriller - basically a treasure hunt with the usual Nazi and Russian gangster cliches and characterisation by numbers BUT Twining writes crisply and each very short chapter (at least in the first two thirds) ends on a cliff-hanger that demands you read the next one until the creativity is finally overwhelmed by the formula in or around page 366 of 575. But, if you want to be entertained and not think, why not ...

Allan
In the search for a painting by an obscure artist, we get led into a Nazi conspiracy that started at the end of World War II and involving a secret sect, the CIA, Russian Mafia and a treasure hunt for Nazi loot.

A reasonable read and ideal airport lounge fodder. Almost but not quite a follow up to the previous novel, it does expect you to know a little of that plot but not so much as you can't enjoy this without it.
Jacob Tourigny
In the Black Sun we see the mystery involving Tom Kirk, an ex art thief, as he tries to find a lost train car containing what was believed to be the lost amber room. While it is fiction it does provide some fascinating ideas involving the ex nazi party and what is the common idea about what happened to the room in real life. I would recommend this to anyone interested in a good mystery book.
Kirsty
This, for me, was not as readble as some of the other books I've read in this genre. The plot itself was interesting, and there are some good twists, but I felt that this book lacks something. There are some slow parts, and I found myself unable to connect with the main character - I just couldn't really like him. An ok read, but I wouldn't recommend it above others in this genre.
Tony Totev
I love the first book and I was expecting this one to be good too. And it proved to be just by the very first couple of dozen pages. Tom Kirk's adventures are so thrilling and exciting. I must say this book is in the style of The da Vinci Code, but it is not so fast paced which is not making it less exciting! Very good one and I am eager to read the other 2 from the series.
Jerom
Por alargar la historia el ultimo cuarto resulta demasiado simple y facilon.

Estilo cinematográfico y facil de leer. Buenos muy buenos y malos malisimos. Los intentos de desviar la atención en mi caso como lector no lo consiguieron.

Un pasa ratos sin mayores pretensiones.

Eso si el momento de la maquina Enigma y de como recuperar las claves es de coña autentica...
John Braun
James Twining blew me away with this one ... A nail-biting plot; a colourful cast of characters; easy-to-read chapters that you eat up faster than a Cheeseburger; and a dark Nazi occult undercurrent fine-tuned to accurately researched historical non-fiction about the Hungarian train that contained Nazi war loot. What more could you ask for?
Anna Reed
A poor man's DaVinci Code. You've got murder, intrigue, looted nazi goods, and Holocaust survivors all tangled in a storyline which attempts to be clever and surprising, but which actually ends up a bit disapointing. Good for whetting your appetite to dig for more info on war-time looted goods though.
Paula Howard
The Black Sun is the 2nd book in a series by James Twining. I found it to be a delightful spy novel filled with many twists and turns, betrayals and intrigue. You almost need a score card to keep track of who is on who's side. Extremely well written and worth reading.
Debb
I do like a good adventure book with a smidge of accurate history. You could read this without reading the first one, The Double Eagle, however it helps so you know about where the characters have come from.

A good, no brainer, holiday fodder read.
Inge Veldhuis
Gary Allen
Good plot line but not very tightly woven. It is easy to loose track of characters as you bounce from place to place. One part that is particularly good is the description of Wewelsburg. I have been there and it is as spooky as described.
Julie Thomas
This books has a great premise, but it gets bogged down with far too much detail. The main character becomes a bit boring and the story gets lost. It could have done with a severe edit and then it would have been a ripping yarn.
Richard
Nazi art treasure (The famous Amber Room) on a long-lost train turns out to be nuclear material. Fast paced, but obvious. Neat way to get out of a locked box—lock picking from inside the safe by using the tumblers.
  • The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope #4)
  • The Secret Crown (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #6)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Lost Temple
  • A Thousand Suns
  • The Genesis Secret
  • The Last Testament
  • The Hidden Oasis
  • The Pegasus Secret
  • Splintered Icon
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
James Twining was born in London but spent much of his childhood in Paris. After graduating from Christ Church, Oxford with a first-class degree in French Literature, he joined the investment bank UBS, working in their corporate finance division. In 1999 he left to set up his own company and in 2001 was named as one of the eight 'Best of Young British' entrepreneurs in The New Statesman. James liv...more
More about James Twining...
The Double Eagle (Tom Kirk, #1) The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3) The Geneva Deception (Tom Kirk, #4) The Double Eagle / The Black Sun / The Geneva Deception / The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #1, #2, #3, #4) Reader's Select Editions 2010 - The Geneva Deception, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, The First Rule, Hannah's Choice