Start by marking “The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)

The Black Sun (Tom Kirk #2)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,484 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
A year has passed since Tom Kirk, the world's greatest art thief, decided to put his criminal past behind him and embark on a new career on the right side of the law. Then three major thefts occur and suddenly Tom is confronted with a deadly mystery and a sinister face from the past.
Published December 1st 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Sun

Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com].)

Okay, I admit it! I'm a sucker for Hidden Secret Nazi Gold Action Adventure stories! What can I tell ya, man -- I like millions of other Americans can't get enough of them crazy fascist secret-society obsessives, and all their supposed billions of hidden money and art and treasure all over the world at the end of World War II, lots of which is supposedly still hidden and un-recovered. And thus do we get to Briti
Sandie
Jul 15, 2008 Sandie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy historical fiction and spy thrillers
The Black Sun provides everything readers crave in a historical mystery: entertainment, suspense, a vicarious trip to previously unexplored venues and, finally, the enjoyment of experiencing a writers' magnificent "spin" on historical events.

Even if you are not a fan of thrillers that relate to events and occurrences circa WWII, this book will make you one. While other authors may have already explored some of the subjects put forth in this endeavor (The Hungarian Gold Train, the strange goings
Josh
May 08, 2010 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now this is how you do an action-adventure thriller! "The Black Sun" is a furiously addictive read that plows forward towards an exciting conclusion full of double crosses, plot twists, and page after page of escapes and narrow misses. So much fun.

The main thrust of the story is the search for the Amber Room which supposedly vanished at the end of World War II as the Nazis were trying to hide a train filled with stolen items from Jewish concentration camp prisoners. The book by James Twining in
Tiffany
Dec 09, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the loosely related second book to The Double Eagle. The book is about a former art thief is who led on a hunt for Nazi paraphenalia, which eventually leads to murder and the discovery of a secret group of Nazi SS knights from WWII. The story takes place in present-day. I love the history displayed in this novel with the WWII theme. A very fast-paced story and a quick, interesting read!
Jon Mamaril
...like James Twining's first book "Double Eagles,"
this novel's plot had a lot of promise going for
it. Definitely good plot, good beginning but not
so great ending. Down-turn for this novel began
(for me) just about midway into it, and completely
ran out of steam 2/3 into the book. ...finished
the novel just for the sake of finishing it.
But I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends.
aoi aka
Jan 31, 2014 aoi aka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This was a slow book at first, but the plot started to move along pretty quickly after everything was in place.

The thing that attracted me to read this was the big Iron Cross on the cover. The story is about a former art thief named Tom and it involved the theft of a painting, the death of an armed guard to steal an Enigma machine and the search for something that turned out to be not what we all thought it was throughout the book.

This is the second book in a series. I didn't read the first one,
Karyn Gustafson
Apr 21, 2008 Karyn Gustafson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this one 4/19/08- both of the books I've read by this author were great! I had to stay up until I'd finished them- I really hope he's writing some more.
Chris Wright
Nov 06, 2009 Chris Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the Tom Kirk series. The Amber Room is fascinating and good to see the consistency in characters bringing back what i'm a fan of.
John
Apr 13, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Fantastic... Tom Kirk is back...

Loved this... but not quite as much as Double Eagle.

Still a great read in its' own right though.
Hildy Peterson
Grade: D+

Exciting but implausibility ruined it.
James
Dec 22, 2011 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I liked it. I liked it a lot.

The plot line was... eventful, to say the least, and managed to twist reality so well to make you question what actually happened in the past. In this way it was a perfect historical thriller, in which, just like in Dan Brown's Da Vinci code, I found myself believing the spiel I was being fed.

The characters also developed brilliantly from the first book, and while I was a little bit disappointed with Viktor who seemed to be a throw away character - d
Anne
Nov 09, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller fans
Why would a vicious group steal Nazi era. enigma machine? And what would a vicious murder of a Holocaust survivor in a London Hospital have to do with it? Then a seemingly worthless painting is stolen from a Prague Synagogue. former art thief Tom Kirk is asked to investigate. He finds the trail leads back to an enigmatic group of elite Nazi leaders whose symbol is the Black Sun. As he races around the world for clues, Tom must search while his life may be at stake. A good thriller.
Ken Prescott
Dec 05, 2011 Ken Prescott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
RumBelle
Jan 30, 2016 RumBelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
Well, this book was great up until the end when the author wrapped up the plot by introducing an element that was never mentioned before! It was a little ridiculous, like he got to the end and didn't know what to do so he just invented something out of the blue. The art, and history were really interesting and the characters were great. The ending was lame though.
Colleen
Jan 19, 2016 Colleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
An ok book, but not outstanding. Interesting references to true life facts about the Nazi's and WWII. This book made me want to look things up on wikipedia. Not that well written though, but an ok quick read.
James Rye
May 27, 2016 James Rye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's definitely a page turner! Lots of well-researched convincing detail, mixed with the very occasional convenient coincidence. But good entertainment.
Rosemary
Jan 04, 2015 Rosemary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Picked up to read on the plane, which it's perfect for. But the endless plot twists and new character introductions quickly got tedious after I left the airport.
Clarence Beeks
Great action adventure based in some interesting war reports. Loses a star as I thought it was about Occult nazis whereas the nazis in this were just the regular variety.
María López
Mar 23, 2016 María López rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historia, misterio, arte.
Simplemente perfecto
Márta Szörnyi
Jul 09, 2015 Márta Szörnyi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good treasure hunt, an exciting read.
Kerry
Dec 28, 2013 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book runs nicely expanding and developing the main characters set out in book 1 with the exception of Jenifer.

I felt Victor was a strong character who could have gone further, perhaps reappearing in further books and it seems to me a sad to have invested in her charter just to lose her.

The plot is the nice combination of action/thriller with a historical underpinning and I already have the next book lined up ready to go.

Radhakrishnan Geetha
My type of story!
Don
Mar 15, 2014 Don rated it it was amazing
Action from start to finish!
Christine Byleveld
1. Better than first one of Tom Kirk.
2. Strange but good end.
3. Like the growing relationship of trust and friendship between Archie, Tom and Dominique.
Tim Pendry
Jun 07, 2008 Tim Pendry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A quick read and an unmemorable thriller - basically a treasure hunt with the usual Nazi and Russian gangster cliches and characterisation by numbers BUT Twining writes crisply and each very short chapter (at least in the first two thirds) ends on a cliff-hanger that demands you read the next one until the creativity is finally overwhelmed by the formula in or around page 366 of 575. But, if you want to be entertained and not think, why not ...

Allan
Nov 08, 2010 Allan rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
In the search for a painting by an obscure artist, we get led into a Nazi conspiracy that started at the end of World War II and involving a secret sect, the CIA, Russian Mafia and a treasure hunt for Nazi loot.

A reasonable read and ideal airport lounge fodder. Almost but not quite a follow up to the previous novel, it does expect you to know a little of that plot but not so much as you can't enjoy this without it.
Stephen
Jacob Tourigny
Apr 11, 2013 Jacob Tourigny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Black Sun we see the mystery involving Tom Kirk, an ex art thief, as he tries to find a lost train car containing what was believed to be the lost amber room. While it is fiction it does provide some fascinating ideas involving the ex nazi party and what is the common idea about what happened to the room in real life. I would recommend this to anyone interested in a good mystery book.
Kirsty
Feb 28, 2008 Kirsty rated it liked it
This, for me, was not as readble as some of the other books I've read in this genre. The plot itself was interesting, and there are some good twists, but I felt that this book lacks something. There are some slow parts, and I found myself unable to connect with the main character - I just couldn't really like him. An ok read, but I wouldn't recommend it above others in this genre.
  • Twisted Web (Nolan Kilkenny, #3)
  • Sword of God (Payne & Jones, #3)
  • The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope #4)
  • A Thousand Suns
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • Splintered Icon
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Final Reckoning
  • The Marks Of Cain
  • The Leader And The Damned
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • Rembrandt's Ghost (Finn Ryan, #3)
James Twining was born in London but spent much of his childhood in Paris. After graduating from Christ Church, Oxford with a first-class degree in French Literature, he joined the investment bank UBS, working in their corporate finance division. In 1999 he left to set up his own company and in 2001 was named as one of the eight 'Best of Young British' entrepreneurs in The New Statesman. James liv ...more
More about James Twining...

Tom Kirk (4 books)
  • The Double Eagle (Tom Kirk, #1)
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
  • The Geneva Deception (Tom Kirk, #4)