After the Darkness: Reflections on the Holocaust

After the Darkness: Reflections on the Holocaust

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Illustrated with photographs from the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, a collection of memories and reflections sheds light on the horrors of the Holocaust, from Hitler's rise to power and the creation of the Third Reich to the concentration camps and genocide, to liberation.
Published October 22nd 2002 by Schocken Books Inc

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselThe Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomMan's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. FranklMy Name Was Five by Heinz Kohler
The Holocaust - Fiction and Non
93rd out of 116 books — 16 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisWhite Fang by Jack LondonTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Light and Dark, Black and White
247th out of 380 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Mindy
Mar 07, 2008 Mindy rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: holocaust
The point of a Holocaust book is not to be the best or worst at remembering something (as in, "star-worthy,"), but to bear witness to it and remember it--not because it's easy or desirable to remember, but to make sure it stays in memory.

This book provides a sweeping summary of the Holocaust, from the time of the systematic discrimination against the Jews in Europe (Hungary is the perspective of this particular author) to their systematic extermination. I gave this book four stars because the te...more
Bev
I just finished re-reading Night by Wiesel and stumbled across this one. It was very good, a concise description of what happened before, during, and then after the Holocaust. It includes several small vignettes of individual experiences by various survivors. It is quite short, lots of photographs, and I think it was well worth reading.
Pamela
I had the pleasure of meeting Elie Wiesel and having him sign this book for me at a lecture at the National Press Club. Anyone and everyone who survived the debacle of the holocaust deserves to tell their story. It is a testament to the human spirit.
Cami
A simple collection of photographs, history and touching reflection from Elie Wiesel and remembrances of survivors of the greatest, large-scale tragedy in human history.
Matt
What an awesome book. I love what Wiesel has done for history. I loved the pictures in this as well.
Jill
Can you tell I've been teaching Night recently? Powerful first-hand accounts in this book.
Leslie
Another compelling account from Elie Wiesel.
Becki
Amazing book...seriously. The images are stark and the words just enough. I'm going to buy it for my classroom next year for the spring Holocaust unit with the 8th graders.
Aubree Snyder
Aubree Snyder marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Shelby Smith
Shelby Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Kaylie
Kaylie marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Julie (Younce) Lyness
Julie (Younce) Lyness marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Casero
Casero marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Abi Fukuyama
Abi Fukuyama marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Kristina Davis
Kristina Davis marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Matt
Matt added it
Feb 08, 2014
Candace Bashaw
Candace Bashaw marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Angelique Harrespil
Angelique Harrespil marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
CincyNattie
CincyNattie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Eliezer Wiesel is a Romania-born American novelist, political activist, and Holocaust survivor of Hungarian Jewish descent. He is the author of over 40 books, the best known of which is Night, a memoir that describes his experiences during the Holocaust and his imprisonment in several concentration camps.

Wiesel was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986. The Norwegian Nobel Committee called him a "...more
More about Elie Wiesel...
Night (The Night Trilogy, #1) Dawn (The Night Trilogy, #2) Day (The Night Trilogy, #3) The Night Trilogy: Night/Dawn/The Accident All Rivers Run to the Sea