Start by marking “After the Darkness: Reflections on the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
After the Darkness: Reflections on the Holocaust

After the Darkness: Reflections on the Holocaust

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  141 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Illustrated with photographs from the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, a collection of memories and reflections sheds light on the horrors of the Holocaust, from Hitler's rise to power and the creation of the Third Reich to the concentration camps and genocide, to liberation.
Published October 22nd 2002 by Schocken Books Inc

To ask other readers questions about After the Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Darkness

Mindy
Mar 07, 2008 Mindy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: holocaust
The point of a Holocaust book is not to be the best or worst at remembering something (as in, "star-worthy,"), but to bear witness to it and remember it--not because it's easy or desirable to remember, but to make sure it stays in memory.

This book provides a sweeping summary of the Holocaust, from the time of the systematic discrimination against the Jews in Europe (Hungary is the perspective of this particular author) to their systematic extermination. I gave this book four stars because the te
Alexandra Escamilla
A poignant, powerful distillation of the Holocaust experience from the internationally acclaimed writer and Nobel laureate. In his first book, Night, Elie Wiesel described his concentration camp experience, but he has rarely written directly about the Holocaust since then. Now, as the last generation of survivors is passing and a new generation must be introduced to mankind's darkest hour, Wiesel sums up the most important aspects of Hitler's years in power and provides a fitting memorial to tho ...more
Bev
May 02, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it
I just finished re-reading Night by Wiesel and stumbled across this one. It was very good, a concise description of what happened before, during, and then after the Holocaust. It includes several small vignettes of individual experiences by various survivors. It is quite short, lots of photographs, and I think it was well worth reading.
Pamela
Dec 30, 2008 Pamela rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of meeting Elie Wiesel and having him sign this book for me at a lecture at the National Press Club. Anyone and everyone who survived the debacle of the holocaust deserves to tell their story. It is a testament to the human spirit.
Cami
Aug 15, 2010 Cami rated it liked it
A simple collection of photographs, history and touching reflection from Elie Wiesel and remembrances of survivors of the greatest, large-scale tragedy in human history.
Matt
May 03, 2008 Matt rated it it was amazing
What an awesome book. I love what Wiesel has done for history. I loved the pictures in this as well.
Jill
Jul 02, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it
Can you tell I've been teaching Night recently? Powerful first-hand accounts in this book.
Leslie
Jan 16, 2009 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Another compelling account from Elie Wiesel.
Evan
Feb 21, 2016 Evan rated it liked it
Not an easy book to read, but as more and more of the Holocaust survivors die, we will need to turn to these written memories, photographs, and stories to remind ourselves of the horrors committed and to never allow them to be repeated. It is too terrible to even imagine, and yet, it happened.
Angelina
Jun 11, 2015 Angelina rated it really liked it
I read this book before going to The Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. It gives a synopsis of the Holocaust--events and stories--with photographs.
Linda  "The Book Lady" Warner
Wiesel has other voices of survivors of the Holocaust.
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 Becki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-collector
Amazing book...seriously. The images are stark and the words just enough. I'm going to buy it for my classroom next year for the spring Holocaust unit with the 8th graders.
Dawn
Mar 02, 2015 Dawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This was a good follow-up to reading Night. I have owned this book for many years and only finally read it. The pictures are staggering.
Juan C. Ravachi
Juan C. Ravachi marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Leah Hadaway
Leah Hadaway marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Britany
Britany marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Sian Griffiths
Sian Griffiths marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Carmelita
Carmelita rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Lclark72
Lclark72 marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Roxie
Roxie marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Pam Myers
Pam Myers marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Kellie hoff
Kellie hoff marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Ianbjorg
Ianbjorg marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Shelley Cadamy
Shelley Cadamy marked it as to-read
Sasha
Sasha marked it as to-read
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
  • Denying the Holocaust: The Growing Assault on Truth and Memory
  • A Higher Form of Killing: The Secret History of Chemical and Biological Warfare
  • The Nuremberg Interviews
  • Patriotic Treason: John Brown and the Soul of America
  • Root and Branch: Charles Hamilton Houston, Thurgood Marshall, and the Struggle to End Segregation
  • The Survivor: An Anatomy of Life in the Death Camps
  • God in the White House: A History: How Faith Shaped the Presidency from John F. Kennedy to George W. Bush
  • From Jim Crow to Civil Rights: The Supreme Court and the Struggle for Racial Equality
  • To Purge This Land with Blood: A Biography of John Brown
  • I Was a Child of Holocaust Survivors
  • Torture Team: Rumsfeld's Memo and the Betrayal of American Values
  • The Second Bill of Rights: FDR's Unfinished Revolution--And Why We Need It More Than Ever
  • A Concise History of the Crusades
  • Flawed Giant: Lyndon Johnson and His Times 1961-1973
  • America's Secret War: Inside the Hidden Worldwide Struggle Between the United States and Its Enemies
  • The Fracture Zone: My Return to the Balkans
  • A History of Russia: From Peter the Great to Gorbachev
  • The Hidden Children: The Secret Survivors of the Holocaust
Eliezer Wiesel was a Romania-born American novelist, political activist, and Holocaust survivor of Hungarian Jewish descent. He was the author of over 40 books, the best known of which is Night, a memoir that describes his experiences during the Holocaust and his imprisonment in several concentration camps.

Wiesel was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986. The Norwegian Nobel Committee called him a
More about Elie Wiesel...