Start by marking “Home Improvement: Undead Edition” as Want to Read:
Home Improvement: Undead Edition

Home Improvement: Undead Edition (Mercy Thompson World - Complete 0.4 - Gray)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,285 Ratings  ·  504 Reviews
First time in paperback!

14 TALES BY PATRICIA BRIGGS • VICTOR GISCHLER • HEATHER GRAHAM •
JAMES GRADY • SIMON R. GREEN • CHARLAINE HARRIS •
STACIA KANE • TONI L. P. KELNER • E E KNIGHT •
ROCHELLE KRICH • MELISSA MARR • SEANAN MCGUIRE •
SUZANNE MCLEOD • S J ROZAN

The editors of the New York Times bestselling Death's Excellent Vacation bring home a captivating collectio
Published by Ace (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Home Improvement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Improvement

Choko
October Daye 04.5 - Through This House, A Short Story

*** 3 ***

This is a very short story belonging between the forth and fifth books in the series and is just a taste of the knowl of Golden Green, the part of Fairy whose rule was granted to October. Well, obviously bad things have been happening there under the previous owner, leaving the Pixies who inhabit it in a hostile mood towards all "big" Fae. Toby has to negotiate in order to bring some much needed repairs to her new home... Did I menti
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
I opened this book, scanned the contents page, and immediately made my way over to page 237.

I was so pleased with Kane's story that when I finished I closed the book with a big smile on my face, forgetting all about the "never-before-published SOOKIE STACKHOUSE story!" Sorry Sook.

"Rick the Brave" didn't disappoint. It was so much fun experiencing Terrible and Chess from another character's point-of-view.

"Oh, and don't forget the huge, very scary guy below them who looked like he ate babies and h
Cathy
Definitely one of the most successful anthologies I've read. Overall I really liked the home improvement theme, but I'm addicted to HGTV and DIY channels, so that was a given. I've also always liked cozy mysteries with DIY themes too. It's interesting that the editors chose to include so many straight mystery authors in this book. As far as I can tell, a number of these authors don't normally write mystical or fantasy books, but most of them did a great job with their stories. And cross marketin ...more
Megan
Feb 05, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since this is an anthology I figure I would give a quick review of each story.

If I had a Hammer by Charlaine Harris: Of course I loved reading this story because I love everything about Sookie Stackhouse and since I have just finished reading book 11 everything was like a continuation of that for me. It also had spirits in it which is a little different compared to what Sookie normally deals with i.e. werewolves, vampires, and shapeshifters.

Wizard Home Security by Victor Gischler: I really enjo
Kat
Mar 01, 2012 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Premise: Short stories about home improvements and the supernatural.

I am honestly very nearly speechless after finishing this book. I've read a lot of these UF story anthologies at this point. I know the authors that tend to pop up often, and generally I have my opinions on which ones I'm most likely to enjoy before I even read the stories based on my previous experience with these authors. I thought there were few surprises left for me. This anthology knocked my hubris down a couple of pegs the
Melindeeloo
Aug 14, 2011 Melindeeloo rated it liked it
If you thought remodeling your home was hell, you ain't seen nothing yet. Home Improvement the Undead Edition is a pretty varied collections of stories some urban fantasy and a few horror. Many of the authors here offer shorts connected to their long running series, which is fun for us fans. On the whole though, this is a pretty mixed bag, there are some stories that I just slogged through side by side with some that I really enjoyed. I found that my favorites on the whole were ones by authors t ...more
Susana

TW: Gigantic Spiders!

Well, I should probably write a review for this short story before I completely forgot what the thing was about!
So, this takes place a couple of books ago _ I've just finished volume nine _ when Toby was sent to open GoldenGreen's Knowe (you know, a fairy underground place?). Honestly don't read it out of order, or you'll miss a lot of the fun.

Thing is, as everything that happens in October's life, things are never as straightforward as one would expect.
The Knowe has been a
Steven
Mar 04, 2016 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
12/3/2013
I read the short story from the Sookie-verse, "If I Had a Hammer." 3 stars
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Only read the novellas listed below.

**Stacia Kane's Rick The Brave ~ 4 stars**

4 stars just for getting to read about Chessie and Terrible and....

"He's my family," she said finally. Quietly. "He's everything."

sigh...and its a cute, little story as well.

**Charlaine Harris' If I Had a Hammer ~ 3 stars**

This is about Sookie and Sam helping out Tara in a remodeling project. Nice story but nothing to get excited about.

**Patricia Brigg's Gray ~ 4 stars**

I really liked this story about a vampire dealin
Steven
Mar 04, 2016 Steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
3/4/16
Through This House, October Daye #4.5
4 stars
Heidi
Feb 27, 2013 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating/review for Through This House, the October Daye story by Seanan McGuire only.

If there’s one way to get back at a changeling you can’t stand, it’s by bestowing her with not just a title, but a wild knowe to boot. October Daye inherited Goldengreen along with ‘Countess’, unfortunately, it’s been left fallow for several years and knowes tend to have abandonment issues. It’s Toby’s job to reclaim Goldengreen in the name of Faerie, but neither the knowe (nor its new residents) seem likely to b
Emily
The stories in this collection really varied in quality. The two readers' performances did too. Generally, I liked McLeod Andrews' performances more than Amanda Ronconi's.

Rating the stories individually seems to be the fairest course, so here goes:

If I had a Hammer, by Charlaine Harris -Only OK, as most of the Sookie material of the last 3 years has been. Certainly not the worst of the bunch, but not the best either. 2.5 stars

Wizard Home Security, by Victor Gischler -Liked it about the same
Sandra
If I Had A Hammer (Charlaine Harris) - I'm not even bothering with these Sookie shorts anymore, their usually pretty pointless.

Wizard Home Security (Victor Gischler)3 stars - This is a cute and funny story but not quite laugh-out-loud. A wizard gets robbed and calls Wizard Home Security to come and update his house for an exorbitant fee. I wasn't sure if this would be good at first, but once the house turns on him, hilarity ensues. The zombie bear was by far my favorite part.

*Gray (Patricia Bri
Bonnie

FYI - This rating is based solely on the story by Charlaine Harris! I may go back and edit this based upon the remaining short stories, but that's not likely.

I'm a huge fan of her Sookie Stackhouse series so I couldn't resist a short story to get me by until her next full length novel. Sadly, I was super disappointed.

This short story involved Tara and JB and the recent addition(s) to their family. Not having enough space for their new twins they decide to renovate and do some 'Home Imp
Ivy
First off I want to confess that I only read four stories in this. The four stories were very good.

If I Had a Hammer was a very good story. Nice to meet the psychic babysitter, Quiana. I would think it would be creepy though to find a hammer behind a wall in your house. Also interesting to learn about the Wechsler's and the Summerlin's. Would be creepy to have psychic powers though, being able to be possessed and everything. Hope the house is okay now.

Gray was an interesting story. Glad that Ja
B.  Barron
Sep 13, 2012 B. Barron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Overall a very, very good collection. The worst stories within I still rate as at least Average/Good (Nothing merits below a 3-star rating). Overall it earns that 4.

"If I Had a Hammer" by Charlaine Harris - Its okay. (***)

"Wizard Home Security" by Victor Gischler - Cute. (***)

"Gray" by Patricia Briggs - Really Good. (****)

"Squatter's Rights" by Rocelle Krich - Okay (**)

"Blood on the Wall" by Heather Graham - Fun. (****)

"Mansion of Imperatives" by James Grady - I really like it. (****)

"The Streng
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* Whole book = 3.0 stars.
*Genre* Urban Fantasy

*Review*

I broke down my feelings and thoughts on each of the stories I actually read. Some, I decided to skip over entirely. No offense to any author I may shirk.

Charlaine Harris's If I Had A Hammer is a Sookie story with Sam, JB, Tara, and Tara's psychic babysitter Quiana along with the babies. A renovation project takes a wild turn as Sam finds a bloody hammer, and the house becomes haunted by a ghost who took his own life. Hi-jinks follow
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Gray by Patricia Briggs

Creepy vampire story. Again, wholly unrelated to the stories that we know and love. I mostly liked it except . . . nothing good can ever come from loving a ghost. Sorry. I don't care how pretty the story is, being unable to touch the one you love can NEVER end well.

Through This House - October Daye, 4.5

This might have been a 4 star novella if I didn't hate spiders as much as I do. Like May said, "Worst knowe ever. It was also disappointing to discover th
Thenia
Through This House - Seanan McGuire:

A short story about Toby's first visit to her new Knowe. As usual, she runs into trouble but manages to get out of it by being who she is and accepting other unfortunate souls in a place that will be her first home.

Samantha
Read only Through This House Full review to come soon
Julia
This is fourteen short stories where tales of adding a bedroom, updating a kitchen get combined with finding an actual skeleton in the yard --the Sookie Stackhouse story, “If I Had a Hammer,” a pixie portal in the swimming pool in Suzanne McLeod’s “Full- Scale Demolition,” Patricia Briggs’ “Gray,” is about a vampire who returns to where she lived when she was human. Rochelle Krich’s “Squatters’ Rights” I like a lot; it has observing Jews as main characters and Jewish demons. She’s written novels ...more
L-D
"Rick the Brave" by Stacia Kane: OKAY - I ONLY bought this book for this story and I had to read it right away! I needed my Chess and Terrible fix in a bad, bad way! I will eventually get to the rest but really, who cares about the other stories?? I loved seeing Chess and Terrible from a third person's POV. I understand people who rated this story moderately because they aren't familiar with Downside, but if you know and love Chess and Terrible as much as I do, you'd give this 5 stars also!
Maria Dimitrova
Now I've read two of the stories here. Maybe one day i'll read the rest.
Vanessa
Jul 06, 2013 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The title of the book says it all: HOME IMPROVEMENT: UNDEAD EDITION is an anthology of stories with home improvement themes and the undead. All of them are smart, well-written, and unique. Enjoy!

"If I Had a Hammer" by Charlaine Harris is a Sookie Stackhouse story where Tara and JD have bought their first house. During demolition of a wall they find a hammer with old blood on it and discover they've released a malevolent spirit in the process. It's a fun short in the usual Sookie style.

"Wizard
Melanie
Oct 13, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, uf
I read Gray by Patricia Briggs and Rick the Brave by Stacia Kane.

In Gray, Patricia Briggs writes about a vampire who purchases a haunted condo/apartment that she lived in while human. Although, this story doesn't have any of the characters from the Mercy Thompson books, the vampires appear to have the same rules and mannerisms as the vampires from that series. She is hiding from the seethe in Chicago. This vampire, just wants to be left alone in her apartment where she can feel close to the hus
Angela
Introduction standard "welcome to the book" type intro. All the stories are themed around home improvement in one way or another
If I Had a Hammer by Charlaine Harris A new Sookie story (or at least one I hadn't heard) -- a basic haunted house type story. It was good
Wizard Home Security by Victor Gischler You get what you pay for. A story of a scammer getting his just desserts
Gray by Patricia Briggs I really liked this story a lot. The story of Elyna and her man Jack. Very enjoyable vampire tale
S
Lisa
Aug 09, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stacia Kane "Rick the Brave" - I had to read this first as I have been craving more Chess & Terrible adventures in Downside! This shirt story was funny, and gave you a hint of the wonder that is romance with Chess & Terrible!! A fun edition to one of my favorite series! 5/5

Charlaine Harris "If I had a Hammer" - quick read, but didn't reach out and grab me as a page turner. I read the first Sookie book and felt the same way...this short story did not change my mind. 2.5/5

Victor Gischler "
Lady Jaye

Usually the anthologies i read have four stories in them. This one had considerably more, and I think it is a good bargain. The good stories far outweigh the bad.

Patricia Briggs - Gray 5 stars: A hauntingly beautiful tale of a vampire and a ghost and their past history.

Victor Gischler - Wizard Home Security 4 stars: A rather funny story about a burgled wizard and the home security he buys

James Grady - The Mansion of Imperatives 2 stars: A hot mess of a story

Heather Graham - Blood on t
Crystal
Yuck! I picked this up at the library because I've enjoyed writing by Patricia Briggs and Charlaine Harris, and have a book waiting to be read by Melissa Marr, all of whom are featured in this book.
First story was the Sookie story by Charlaine Harris. a simple, kind of harmless story, that while in the Sookie universe, had no real influence on greater story plot. It was good.
Then I read the one by Patricia Briggs, Gray. it was an interesting vampire/ ghost story...seemed to be functioning by th
Becky Ippolito
Aug 20, 2011 Becky Ippolito rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire
While there were some bland stories in this book- new couple moves into new house, new house is a haunted entity blah blah blah...there are also some really great stories-"Woolsey's Kitchen Nightmare" by EE Knight- specifically a Kitchen Nightmare story that is beyond what Chef Ramsey could ever dream of. There are also chilling and amusing little tales- notably "The Strength Inside" by Melissa Marr, "Rick the Brave" by Stacia Kane, and "Full-Scale Demolition" by Suzanne McLeod. The Sookie Stack ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #97 - Home Improvement: Undead Edition 1 2 Apr 26, 2016 01:59PM
Q&A with Stacia Kane: RICK THE BRAVE 40 96 May 06, 2012 03:39AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Home Improvement: Undead Edition 1 3 Jan 27, 2012 07:14AM
  • Down These Strange Streets
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • In Sea-Salt Tears (October Daye, #5.1)
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • Between the Dark and the Daylight and 27 More of the Best Crime Mystery Stories of the Year
  • Wild & Steamy (Includes: Iron Seas #0.4; The Disillusionists Trilogy #2.5)
  • Shattered Shields
  • Here Be Monsters: An Anthology of Monster Tales
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

Mercy Thompson World - Complete (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)
  • On the Prowl (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)
  • Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)
  • Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)
  • Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)

“Jack always had said you knew a person by the books they read . . . or didn’t read.” 2 likes