Start by marking “Catacombs: A Tale of the Barque Cats” as Want to Read:
Catacombs: A Tale of the Barque Cats

Catacombs: A Tale of the Barque Cats (Tales of the Barque Cats #2)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  633 ratings  ·  72 reviews
The spacefaring Barque Cats are valued members of every vessel’s crew, thanks to their special bond with humans. Then Pshaw-Ra, a mysterious cat with highly advanced knowledge, gives the felines the power of telepathy. When panic over a virulent plague drives the government to exterminate animals, Pshaw-Ra guides the cats and humans of the starship Ranzo to safety on his h ...more
Published January 10th 2012 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Catacombs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catacombs

William Bentrim
Catacombs: A Tale of the Barque Cats by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Scarborough

This is apparently a story that is part of a larger series. The protagonists are all cats with some sidebar humans. This story returns the Barque Cats to their normal environment.

This book needs more back story. I felt like I had started on page 150 and had no way to get caught up. The story really never caught my interest and I am truly fond of anthropomorphism.

The cats see humans as some what dull servants which a
Brian Schiebout
Catacombs by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough is the second book of the Tales of the Barque Cats series. The book continues on from the first book with the Barque cats having just escaped from the oppressive incompetent government to the planet of Mau which their rescuer the cat Pshaw-Ra assures them will treat them like royalty. However the greeting they receive is less than they expect as can be anticipated in a world of today which is dominated by cats and which has a new leader w ...more
Jenni
I know this is not the most intellectual comment, but it's the most honest way of stating how I feel. This book was 'eh' ... normally I am swept away in McCaffrey's books and can't put them down, but this book just never really engaged me.
Lynda Tatad
I am enjoying this new series by Ms McCaffrey and Ms Scarborough!
This is the continuing story of the Barque cats! After having escaped from corrupt human officials, Chester and his boy Jubal have brought as many Barque cats to save from extermination due to a 'supposed' plague from eating shiny beetles that were actually imported by a mysterious cat named Psha-ra. Psha-ra is from the planet Mau, where he has a master plan for the Barque cats and his own race of felines. He loves the 6th toe tha
Carolyn
In the second book of the A Tale of the Barque Cats series, Pshaw- Ra takes Chester, Chester’s Cat- Person Jubal and the rescued cats to his home world of Mau in order to escape their government ordered execution. On Mau, cats are venerated as gods and the sole purpose of the human inhabitants is to serve their cat masters. The newcomers are promised lives of luxury, indulgence and limitless fishy treats. But it is soon evident that Pshaw-Ra’s actions are not acts of benevolence, but a calculate ...more
Lbaker
Although I had read the first book in this series - Catalyst, it took a few chapters to get into this book. I enjoyed the interesting mythlike parts of the story - including mummies, cats, celtic knots, and pyramids.

One criticism I have is that the evil being fought seems to be rather mindless and reminiscent of Pern's thread, now being bugs and worms/snakes.

I'm sure that the always plotting Pshaw-Ra will figure in the next book, but honestly I missed several characters from Catalyst who seeme
An Odd1
*** "Catacombs" under the Egypt-like planet Mau hide mummies and hi-tech left by earliest settlers, and imprison a supernatural giant serpent. A second time, Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarbourough entertain and amuse. The story concentrates on Chester, who grows from rebel kitten to leader dad, and his telepathic linked boy. The enigmatic elegant extremely old vizier teaches the new mixed breed generation how to manipulate spaceship controls and weapons with their inherited Barque dextr ...more
Echo
I'm so disappointed, I normally love McCaffrey's books.

Again, the science/mythology behind the cats telepathic abilities and the snake god weren't really there. You'd get snippets, but nothing that made me sit back and go ok, I accept the logic in this reality, continue on.

And Pa-Rashm or whatever his name was was just too unpredictable. I wanted to understand his motives better.
Jayme(the ghost reader)
I liked this book overall. This is the sequel is "Catalyst". It's about cats with special telepathic powers and their breed is called Barque Cats. They are expert hunters and they are bigger than your normal house cat. In this book the story continues, our main cat character Chester, is trapped on a planet called Mau where the cats live and they are taken care of by their human servants. They revere cats. Their cat leader is called Pshaw Ra. He doesn't spend much time there because he is out exp ...more
Nancy
I just had to read this one as it was the sequel to Catalyst. It's quite uneven going from desperate situation to a cat's nonchalance, but I guess that's the point. Chester and his human Jabal return to his parents and ships. But the evil Apep or snake follows them out and the kittens that they have brought with them have to save the day when the snake (or millions of mini snakes that the big snake has transformed into) surrounds a sun causing all kinds of havoc for the solar system (not ours). ...more
Carolyn
Like the first book, this is the continuing adventures of Chester and his human Jubal. Still cute, but has fallen a bit flat in the execution of the idea. A bit too neatly wrapped up for my tastes, especially with the extreme danger she put them in in the latter half of the book. (view spoiler) I'm sure there will be more books about the pair, the last sentence of the bo ...more
penny
Yes, I am giving a McCaffrey/Scarborough book a two (and a half) star review. Something changed in the telling of the story for this book, many aspects, such as point of view from the cats, are awesome in theory, but fall flat in execution, something other reviewers have noted.

That acknowledged, it is a cute and fast read. I found it enjoyable as my Shadow has taken a renewed interest in both my keyboard and what's on the monitor. It's fun to pretend that perhaps he's paying attention and will s
Dannie Lane
So far so good, looks like I have one more group of books to start reading!
Deborah Darsie
The reader on this audio version was quite an addition to the story. Her vocalizations for the cats gave them some excellent purrsonality throughout.

I need to find the first book in this series to fill in the back story.

A lot of fun elements in the feline cultures we 'meet' via the Barque cats and the Mau refugees. Crazy unfounded rumors of cats (and other animals) carrying disease and the perils of wholesale massacre (just an indirect reference in this volume....) and mixing in space travel, co
I think there's a book that comes before this one. I don't know right now; I just picked it off the shelf at the library. The book may have made a bit more sense if I'd read the series in the right order.

I was confused by the different points of view for the first third of the book. Once I got it all straightened out, I found the cat adventures enthralling. I really enjoyed the idea of cat spaceships. The book definitely lives up to the proverb, "dogs have people; cats have staff."
Rachel
A nice quick read, very engaging. Scarborough's touch (I think) makes this book funny--sometimes hilarious. The cats are as smart and as individual as humans, but they can easily be distracted by treats, or the need for a nap--or mating. Hmm, I guess all that is true for humans too. The way each cat finds her or his special person is reminiscent of the Pern dragons, but that's not a problem. And everything ties together with ancient Egypt and its mythology. Well done!
Pam
I liked this book better than the first one. It's always very interesting to read a book that's from the cat's perspective. I was glad I got both Catalyst and Catacombs at the same time. By the time I finished Catalyst, I wanted to know what was going to happen next and started right into Catacombs. It's a pretty easy science fiction read and good story line - didn't want to put Catacombs down.
Cathi95
(Science fiction 2010) Sequel to Catalyst, Book 1 of the Barque Cats. After the barque cats are rescued from a plague that threatens to kill them, they end up on a planet where cats are supreme but not particularly socially evolved. The Barque Cats must figure out how to get themselves out of the situation... Good fun. written with typical Ann McCaffrey aplomb. I am really missing her already!
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs
Like the first book in the series it’s an okay, average read. If you are looking for hard science, logical consistency, and accurate portrayals of animals you should look elsewhere. If you are up for some science fantasy with smart cats, rats, snakes, and psychics then you might enjoy. I will probably listen to another sequel, just to see where the hell it leads – this one was all over the place.
Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)
Not clear if there is another book in this series. I must say that this and Catalyst really felt more like one book published in 2 volumes than 2 books, and they combine to be less than 500 pages in total I'm wondering why they weren't published as a single volume.
Jerry
Not quite as good as the first one.
Theresa
had to wait for this one an exciting story about the adventures and miss adventures of the great mankoon cats in space and how they find a similar raise of cats and interbreed for the austintatious advantages of both breeds, and the violent and mysterious attack of a new speices in space cause because of the cats distruction of an ancient fow.
Susan Barlow
This is the second book in the series featuring the Barque cats. I quite enjoyed Catalyst, the first in the series. Cats, spaceships, what could go wrong? This book is hard work though. I'm taking ages to read it. Halfway through now and still nothing has happened. It's disappointing because I want to like it.
Shaunesay Eslanai
Honestly these were goofier than I had hoped a series for the Barque cats would be, but they were still fun.
~Megan~
The first one was decent, and I liked it quite a bit, but this one...let's just say it wasn't the greatest book. (view spoiler)
Jenny Delandro
I did not like this story as much as the first in this series.

the first had a defined story line and great characters a few happened to interact with special cats.

this story is all about the cats and while intriguing it is just as enralling....

tiny bit disappointed.
Jennifer Kyrnin
I really disliked the "cuteness" of this novel. I never found any interest in the cats' POV and I love cats. It felt like a YA novel with the authors condescending to the readers, not writing for or about them. I liked other books in this series much more than this one.
Bookstack Insomniac
This is the worst book I have ever tried to read and in addition it has the name of my favoutite author on the title. As Anne McAffrey died during the year, I assume her input was minimal because if she truly did write any of this drivel she would be embarassed.
Shigi
I can honestly say it was better than the first book. The cats are definitely more interesting than the people. This is definitely a series you shouldn't try to put too much thought into reading.

I was also amused to see the acknowledgments to Cordwainer Smith.
Chelsea
Not McCaffrey's best, some chapters were better written than others. Knowing she was not feeling well during the time these two books were written make me think she wasn't able to pin down exactly what she truly had in mind for the story line.
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The People of Pern
  • Homecoming: Earth (Omnibus) (Homecoming Saga, #4-5)
  • The Golden Cat (The Wild Road #2)
  • Cat Striking Back (Joe Grey #15)
  • Unnatural Issue (Elemental Masters, #7)
  • Only the Cat Knows
  • Hastur Lord (Darkover, #23)
  • At Sword's Point (Knights of the Blood, #2)
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • To Visit the Queen (Cats of Grand Central, #2)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)