Start by marking “Sobre a Tentação” as Want to Read:
Sobre a Tentação

Sobre a Tentação

Published 2003 by Novo século

To ask other readers questions about Sobre a Tentação, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sobre a Tentação

Benjamin
Jun 12, 2016 Benjamin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Books on such topics today that deal with sin and temptation tend to take a sort of 12-Step approach to the issue. If that is what you expect from this book, you will be heartily disappointed. Owen rather, in sum, directs us to consider the beauty and glory of Christ as he is offered to us in the gospel, along with all that our Trinitarian God gives to us in the preserving of us against temptation. We are to make use of all the means that God has given us in Christ, that we may stand in that gre ...more
Anthony Alvarado
Owen is probably my favorite Puritan and dead guy to read so I admit my bias, but his insight into the Word is unparalleled. He sees things and makes connections that 99% of us struggle to. This book is just another example of that. Making the distinction of "entering temptation" as different than entering sin is a paradigm shift. And then simplifying the fight and centering on the gospel was so helpful. A very very worthwhile read.
Mark A Powell
Aug 25, 2012 Mark A Powell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Owen’s centuries-old work on temptation (abridged and adapted in this format for easier reading) remains a potent look at its dangers and devices. At the core, Owen claims, the issue of temptation is one of the heart—unless we root out the lusts and desires deep within us, we will be unable to ultimately resist temptations in those areas. This heart-cleansing work can only be done by Christ but, mercifully, He has provided a willing Helper.
Nicholas Maulucci
another excellent book by John Owen. more convicting than his book on pastors. also, I noted that his writing seemed like early 20th century - well, try 1658. that is when he wrote this book. excellent analogies. good book. enjoyable if you like longer, more obsolete words. these two books are the first I've read by Owen, but will probably read others if he has written them. recommended book!
Brian
Dec 31, 2015 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: puritan
I don't know how many times I've returned to this book, but it is simply one of the most important and helpful books on Christian living that I've read. Owen not only addresses temptation itself; he also explains the means God has provided against it, namely watchfulness and prayer. Owen is hard-hitting, but not discouraging. This book is full of gospel-infused hope. Read it.
John Yelverton
Apr 28, 2016 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short, but well done overview of temptation, and how to avoid and combat it. John Owen has the uncanny knack of always driving his points straight to the reader's heart, and he certainly does this here.
Al
Feb 23, 2011 Al rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: puritan
Another great book by John Owen, with tons of practical application. This particular edition is from Banner of Truth, and the editor has simplified the work without compromising the content. Good work on how to avoid entering into temptation.
Connie Porter
Required reading for Christians

Short enough to get through quickly; profound enough to make you slow down and ponder its truths. Very good read.
Rod Jetton
Mar 17, 2014 Rod Jetton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Great book that really offers some great advice from Jesus on how to resist temptation. Easy to red and easy to understand.
Kevin
Dec 27, 2016 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my 2nd Owen book completed and I expect him to become easier to follow with time. Excellent biblical study of what it means to "enter into temptation". Very helpful
Alex Stroshine
Didn't get much from chapters 1-3 but everything after is good.
Jeremy
Aug 20, 2012 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both insightful and practical. Owen is a beast!
Joe Fogarty
Jul 08, 2013 Joe Fogarty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Owen is good for the soul!
Crazycalvinist O'flaherty
Well worth a read. And rather than dealing with temptation as far as falling into sin, it deals with rather more the aspect of "entering into temptation"
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Thad Yessa
Thad Yessa rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Adonijah Dasianro
Adonijah Dasianro rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Andrew Haslam
Andrew Haslam rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Andrew Murch
Andrew Murch rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2012
John L.
John L. rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Brett
Brett rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
J. Gruben
J. Gruben rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2011
Dustin Medicus
Dustin Medicus rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2013
Scott Sperling
Scott Sperling rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Tony
Tony rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2012
Micah Parker
Micah Parker rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2017
Douglas Hitzel
Douglas Hitzel rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
John Owen was an English theologian and "was without doubt not only the greatest theologian of the English Puritan movement but also one of the greatest European Reformed theologians of his day, and quite possibly possessed the finest theological mind that England ever produced" ("Owen, John", in Biographical Dictionary of Evangelicals, p. 494)
More about John Owen...

“Let the heart, then commune with itself and say, “I am poor and weak; Satan is subtle, cunning, powerful, watching constantly for advantages against my soul; the world earnest, pressing, and full of specious pleas, innumerable pretences, and ways of deceit; my own corruption violent and tumultuating, enticing, entangling, conceiving sin, and warring in me, against me; occasions and advantages of temptation innumerable in all things I have done or suffer, in all businesses and persons with whom I converse; the first beginnings of temptation insensible and plausible, so that, left unto myself, I shall not know I am ensnared, until my bonds be made strong, and sin hath got ground in my heart: therefore on God alone will I rely for preservation, and continually will I look up to him on that account.” 0 likes