Start by marking “Curious George Learns the Alphabet” as Want to Read:
Curious George Learns the Alphabet

Curious George Learns the Alphabet (Curious George Original Adventures)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  3,565 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Readers learn the alphabet along with George as the man in the yellow hat teaches the curious monkey how to read.
Published November 30th 1973 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Curious George Learns the Alphabet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious George Learns the Alphabet

Shanna Gonzalez
This book is different from the rest of the Curious George series, because it is primarily devoted to introducing each letter of the alphabet by transforming the letter into an animal or other object. This device makes the letters memorable, and many of the letter-pictures are accompanied by sidebar-style scenes and commentary in the margin. There is just enough humor to help retain interest, as George takes breaks to make up silly words, play football, and go out for doughnuts (mischievously ch ...more
Leah Wall
It's clear from the reviews that this is not your typical Curious George book. Nor is it your typical ABC book. This is something altogether different - an ABC book with a real story, interspersed with short words to give a sense of meaning to the effort of learning letters. It is also told by a curious monkey and a man in a yellow hat with illustrations that make the shapes of the letters meaningful.
It is our favorite ABC book - for those reasons - the same reasons some people are giving it 2
Ebookwormy
Everybody loves Curious George! And there you have the appeal of this alphabet rendering of George's adventures.

Illustrating the capital and lower case letter (such as A is like and Alligator's mouth and a is like a cut apple) is intriguing, but not enough to justify doubling the already laborious alphabet. As the man with the yellow hat explains each letter, he uses little vingettes of George's experience ("You know what a cab is. I once took you for a ride in a cab, remember?") which will be
Karen
My five-year-old son, who loves alphabet books, checked this book out from the library this week.

I liked much of this book, but not all of it. The text was pretty annoying after the first letter or two. And some of the object choices for the letters were a bit odd. Still, I did like the idea of this book very much.
Darchelle Young
This would need adult scaffolding to fully catch all the details that have been illustrated. This is one way to teach children about the alphabet. The alphabet is already essential to a child's development and so this book is rated a two because I was looking to reach a younger audience.
Lisa Overberg
This book includes the loveable monkey, George, and the Man With The Yellow Hat. George is being taught the Alphabet's Upper and Lower Case letters through animals and words that he already knows. The focused letter on each page has the letter highlighted throughout the paragraph reading, showing that letters are everywhere. The illustrations include the letter in them and the accompanying paragraph explains how the letter looks, how to write the letter, and colorful examples. I would recommend ...more
Libby
This is a great idea, but definitely too advanced to be useful for my 23-mo-old son. The man with the yellow hat teaches George about the alphabet by drawing pictures from the letters that look like something that begins with that letter. he does it for big and small versions of every letter in the alphabet. It's a great idea, but my son isn't even old enough to understand the concept of "words that begin with the letter"... but it could be a great tool to help older kids. Even so, my son does e ...more
Skylar Burris
This isn't good for teaching the alphabet the first time around, but it's a good review for a young child who has already (recently) learned the alphabet; it emphasizes lowercase equally with capital letters and begins with some spelling of some words. It's a little long and drawn out, but for my daughter, who can already recognize and write all uppercase letters, it was a good refresher--and I hope a motivator to begin sounding out words--and it had George, of course. I like the way it tied bac ...more
Emerson
Added to permanent collection for Theodore.

Possibly the best alphabet book out there! This is a frequent re-read for us.

We checked out the version of this alphabet book from the library from the audio collection. It included the book in paperback and an audio CD. We played the CD on our drive to palm desert this morning while Emerson leafed through the book in the backseat he enjoyed it but the reading was accompanied by a raunchy jazz saxophone Philip hated.
Sheila
I did not like that the line "Fish looked "gay"". Granted it was written in 1973 but still. It could have been revised. Also for the letter X they wrote X-mas. REALLY?! How about a X-ray? or a Xylophone? Or for the animal theme go with an Xenurine which is an armadillo. Taking Christ out of Christmas is wrong EVEN for a Childrens book. Too big a word? Well for the letter D they used dromedary which I had no idea it was a one humped camel.
Edward Creter
Curious George has a love of learning, so it's no surprise when the man w/the yellow hat teaches him the ABC's, and rewards him for good work with donuts...only George brings home TEN dozen donuts in one Economy-size bag! Silly monkey! Re-reading this gem was a delightful trip back in time for me and I hope kids of all ages will love this book as I have.
Rachel
This is really cute for a kid who is learning the alphabet, like mine is. It definitely helps reinforce the letters and give good examples of words that follow it. It is really long, but it is a fun read-along with the audiobook. I'd definitely recommend it for preschool kids who love curious george!
Dylan & Belle at LearnPlayFun
Rated and reviewed by Dylan, age 7

It's about a monkey who learns his letters. I love how they made the pictures. My favorite letter was W because it was whiskers. I liked all the letters because they all meant different things.

I liked how they made the artwork with the letters.
Rebecca
George learns his alphabet and how to write in one day! He really is an amazing monkey. :)

My children enjoy all the images that are made out of the letters. They already know them all, but I could see this being a helpful book during the teaching process.
Jake
May 15, 2008 Jake added it
Shelves: books-we-own
We weren't as fond of this one as the other Curious George books -- probably because there wasn't much of a story. We had to keep stopping and picking the book up the next night because we got bored (it took us 4 nights to finish.)
Margaret
Sep 04, 2014 Margaret marked it as hardcopy-review-to-read
Part of the Curious George Curious About Learning Kit
Curious George Curious About Learning Boxed Set by H.A. Rey
Shevonne
This book was horrible to teach a child his/her alphabets. There were long drawn out explanations of the letters and their sounds, and my children were bored after I started reading the first page.
Samantha
A little more in depth than the average ABC book. I enjoyed sounding out the words George made along with him. However, nobody-not even a monkey can learn to read and write that fast.
Beth
Curious George doesn't know how to read, so the man with the yellow hat teaches him the alphabet with big and little letters. He uses the donut snacks to spell "the end."
Yates Marie
This book is an alphabet book. I really like how it has capital and lowercase letters examples in it. It is really creative and every child loves Curious George.
Lori
The narrative on this one is great about pointing out the different sounds that one letter can make. "U" "George knew how to USE an UMBRELLA".
Jessie Alvis
Jun 27, 2011 Jessie Alvis rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Older Children
Shelves: logan-s-reads
It was a cute book, but a little too "wordy" to hold my 3 year olds attention. He usually loves abc books, but this one bored him.
Chase
It was nice & helped me learned more things for school. Because I'm doing letters at school.
Sheila Read
this book is excellent for kids to learn the alphabet just like George did.
Sheila
This is a great introduction/explanation of the alphabet!
Dree
Cute little book, my 8-year-old still likes looking at it.
Max
i had to read this dumb book
PWRL
Nov 28, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
A, SM
  • Curious George Flies a Kite
  • Clifford's Christmas
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad (Little Critter)
  • Father Bear Comes Home
  • Happy Birthday, Moon
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
Hans Augusto Rey was born on September 16, 1898, in Hamburg, Germany. He grew up there near the world-famous Hagenbeck Zoo, and developed a lifelong love for animals and drawing. Margarete Elisabeth Waldstein (who would be known to most of the world as Margret Rey) was also born in Hamburg on May 16, 1906. The two met briefly when Margret was a young girl, before she left Hamburg to study art. The ...more
More about H.A. Rey...
Curious George Curious George Rides a Bike Curious George Takes a Job Curious George Gets a Medal Curious George Goes to the Beach