Start by marking “Clifford's First Halloween” as Want to Read:
Clifford's First Halloween

Clifford's First Halloween (Clifford the Big Red Dog)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  390 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Join everyone's favorite small red puppy as he gets into mischief at the Halloween party! Now with a die cut cover that reveals a pumpkin-shaped glitter gel pack.

Many Halloweens ago, Clifford was just a tiny red puppy who got into lots of trouble.

This Halloween classic is being reissued just in time for Halloween in an all-new format with a die cut cover that holds a pumpk
Published August 1st 2006 by Cartwheel Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Clifford's First Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clifford's First Halloween

Kelley Bennett
This is part of the Clifford, the big red dog series but clifford is a puppy in this story. And who doesn't love a cute puppy story? The students will love this halloween story. There is very little text on each page and the students can also tell what is going on by using the illustrations for reference. I would read this book the the class at Halloween.
Amanda Casteel
Author: Norman Bridwell

Genre: Fiction Picture Book

Publication Information: Cartwheel Books: 1995

Reading Level: Early

Topic/Theme: dogs, halloween

Issues Addressed: I find no social issues being addressed in this book.

Classroom Uses: Read Aloud, Individual Reading

Summary: This is the memory of Clifford's first Halloween. His experiences with costumes, haunted houses, and food are all in this book.

Text and image: the illustrations are colorful but I do not think they support the text very well.

Lite
Josiah
Norman Bridwell's simple stories are always better than I anticipate, filled with nice unexpected moments of original humor, and always lined with the affection that Emily Elizabeth feels for her beloved pet dog, who grew from a runt destined to die into the biggest puppy on earth simply because she loved him.
This look at Clifford's first Halloween is charming, and created with significant skill on the part of Norman Bridwell, as always. I would give at least one and a half stars to Clifford's
Ina
Halloween, a cute blond girl, and a giant red dog - what more is there to say? I have a Clifford finger puppet and so, I had an assistant hold the book while I read the story and puppet Clifford added his personal comments. The kids loved it. When Emily Elizabeth settles on a ghost costume for Puppy Clifford, I pulled out one for the finger puppet that matched. I like Clifford books because of their simplicity and their great kids appeal.
Amanda
I got this for the week leading up to Halloween to get my 2 1/2 y/o into the spirit, or at least introduce the concept to him of Halloween. It's a pretty cute book. I'm never impressed by the illustrations in the Clifford books, though. They always seem very dated. Maybe I'm spoiled by the animated PBS show. This was kind of fun, but not a great story. We didn't keep it more than a week.
Blakeley Norris
This book is about Clifford's first Halloween. It shows all of the things that he did his first Halloween. He was too small for most of the costuems, but Emily made him one out of a tissue...he was a ghost. He had a good first Halloween and now that he's all grown-up and big. Now he helps out with Halloween and helps the other children to have fun.
Brie Tennyson
This book is definitely written for a young child, who needs to be read aloud to (probably around 3 years old). It is about Clifford's first Halloween and how Emily Elizabeth dresses him up and he gets to experience Halloween. This book is a very easy read with fun colorful pictures.
Mecca Morrison
All the Clifford books are good for young children. Most of them are good for children who can’t read yet and should be read to. Children 3 to 5 probably. This particular book is describing Clifford’s first Halloween when Emily Elizabeth dresses him up.
Deborah Harris
Dec 23, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a17, ar-1
AR Quiz No. 17516 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 1.9 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
This book would be great for the youngest of students. This book shows all the "traditions" that surround Halloween. This would be very interesting to students because of the pictures in this book, too.
Jamie
Cute! I must say, I'm a fan of Clifford as a small puppy. One of my favorite Clifford books :) Good for level one readers and especially good around Halloween. :)
Brittany White
While Clifford books are not my favorite, I know children enjoy them. This would be a great addition to a Halloween bookshelf for students to access.
Julee
Children from multiple classes broke out in spontaneous applause after the read aloud. We all love Clifford big or small.
kate
Emily Elizabeth narrates the story of Clifford's first Halloween, when he is a tiny puppy.
Theresa
good early reader, using texet to relate to the television show, a cute childhood story book.
Mary
Read this with Nicole. She really liked it because it showed the changes of the season.
Kaethe
Reading Clifford books aloud is one of those things I do without real pleasure.
Bridget
If your kids enjoy the Clifford show, they will enjoy this book.
Anca Maria
I liked the book.
Ana Lea Herbrec
Ana Lea Herbrec marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Karisa
Karisa marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Gemma Jackson
Gemma Jackson marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Loni Engledow
Loni Engledow marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Mary
Mary added it
Jan 07, 2015
  • Happy Halloween, Biscuit!
  • Franklin's Halloween
  • Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever!
  • There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Bat!
  • Dragon's Halloween
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • Boo, Bunny!
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Ghost of the Forest
  • Mouse's First Halloween
  • Snow Friends
  • In the Haunted House
Norman Bridwell is an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He currently resides on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he continues to write an average of two books a year.

More about Norman Bridwell...

Clifford the Big Red Dog (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Clifford, We Love You (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • Clifford and the Big Parade (Clifford)
  • Clifford and the Big Storm (Clifford)
  • Clifford and the Grouchy Neighbors
  • Clifford at the Circus
  • Clifford Barks!
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • Clifford Goes to Hollywood
  • Clifford Goes to the Doctor
  • Clifford Goes To Washington
Clifford the Big Red Dog Clifford's Halloween Clifford The Small Red Puppy Clifford The Firehouse Dog Clifford's Birthday Party