Start by marking “Clifford's First Halloween” as Want to Read:
Clifford's First Halloween

Clifford's First Halloween (Clifford the Big Red Dog)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  544 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Join everyone's favorite small red puppy as he gets into mischief at the Halloween party! Now with a die cut cover that reveals a pumpkin-shaped glitter gel pack.

Many Halloweens ago, Clifford was just a tiny red puppy who got into lots of trouble.

This Halloween classic is being reissued just in time for Halloween in an all-new format with a die cut cover that holds a pumpk
Published August 1st 2006 by Cartwheel Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Clifford's First Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clifford's First Halloween

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzRoom on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
Best Halloween Picture Books
52nd out of 350 books — 362 voters
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzBunnicula by James HoweThe Legend of West Fork by J.T. LewisWait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing HahnThe Witches by Roald Dahl
Spooky Kids' Books to Read at Halloween
32nd out of 148 books — 91 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelley Bennett
Oct 11, 2014 Kelley Bennett rated it it was amazing
This is part of the Clifford, the big red dog series but clifford is a puppy in this story. And who doesn't love a cute puppy story? The students will love this halloween story. There is very little text on each page and the students can also tell what is going on by using the illustrations for reference. I would read this book the the class at Halloween.
Amanda Casteel
Author: Norman Bridwell

Genre: Fiction Picture Book

Publication Information: Cartwheel Books: 1995

Reading Level: Early

Topic/Theme: dogs, halloween

Issues Addressed: I find no social issues being addressed in this book.

Classroom Uses: Read Aloud, Individual Reading

Summary: This is the memory of Clifford's first Halloween. His experiences with costumes, haunted houses, and food are all in this book.

Text and image: the illustrations are colorful but I do not think they support the text very well.

Lite
Rosa Cline
Oct 27, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, halloween
This was a nice Clifford the little red puppy book. How he was scared for his first Halloween but Emily Elizabeth helped him through.
Josiah
Oct 28, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok
Norman Bridwell's simple stories are always better than I anticipate, filled with nice unexpected moments of original humor, and always lined with the affection that Emily Elizabeth feels for her beloved pet dog, who grew from a runt destined to die into the biggest puppy on earth simply because she loved him.
This look at Clifford's first Halloween is charming, and created with significant skill on the part of Norman Bridwell, as always. I would give at least one and a half stars to Clifford's
Ina
Nov 06, 2011 Ina rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
Halloween, a cute blond girl, and a giant red dog - what more is there to say? I have a Clifford finger puppet and so, I had an assistant hold the book while I read the story and puppet Clifford added his personal comments. The kids loved it. When Emily Elizabeth settles on a ghost costume for Puppy Clifford, I pulled out one for the finger puppet that matched. I like Clifford books because of their simplicity and their great kids appeal.
Amanda
Nov 01, 2008 Amanda rated it it was ok
I got this for the week leading up to Halloween to get my 2 1/2 y/o into the spirit, or at least introduce the concept to him of Halloween. It's a pretty cute book. I'm never impressed by the illustrations in the Clifford books, though. They always seem very dated. Maybe I'm spoiled by the animated PBS show. This was kind of fun, but not a great story. We didn't keep it more than a week.
Blakeley Norris
Apr 27, 2010 Blakeley Norris rated it really liked it
Shelves: holidays
This book is about Clifford's first Halloween. It shows all of the things that he did his first Halloween. He was too small for most of the costuems, but Emily made him one out of a tissue...he was a ghost. He had a good first Halloween and now that he's all grown-up and big. Now he helps out with Halloween and helps the other children to have fun.
Brie Tennyson
Nov 06, 2013 Brie Tennyson rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is definitely written for a young child, who needs to be read aloud to (probably around 3 years old). It is about Clifford's first Halloween and how Emily Elizabeth dresses him up and he gets to experience Halloween. This book is a very easy read with fun colorful pictures.
Mecca Morrison
Dec 10, 2013 Mecca Morrison rated it liked it
All the Clifford books are good for young children. Most of them are good for children who can’t read yet and should be read to. Children 3 to 5 probably. This particular book is describing Clifford’s first Halloween when Emily Elizabeth dresses him up.
Deborah Harris
Dec 23, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-1, a17
AR Quiz No. 17516 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 1.9 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Jan 14, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: holidays
This book would be great for the youngest of students. This book shows all the "traditions" that surround Halloween. This would be very interesting to students because of the pictures in this book, too.
Jamie
Cute! I must say, I'm a fan of Clifford as a small puppy. One of my favorite Clifford books :) Good for level one readers and especially good around Halloween. :)
Brittany White
While Clifford books are not my favorite, I know children enjoy them. This would be a great addition to a Halloween bookshelf for students to access.
Julee
Oct 28, 2013 Julee rated it really liked it
Children from multiple classes broke out in spontaneous applause after the read aloud. We all love Clifford big or small.
kate
Oct 03, 2012 kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily Elizabeth narrates the story of Clifford's first Halloween, when he is a tiny puppy.
Theresa
Apr 10, 2012 Theresa rated it it was ok
Shelves: review
good early reader, using texet to relate to the television show, a cute childhood story book.
Mary
May 22, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Read this with Nicole. She really liked it because it showed the changes of the season.
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
Reading Clifford books aloud is one of those things I do without real pleasure.
Bridget
Oct 31, 2008 Bridget rated it liked it
If your kids enjoy the Clifford show, they will enjoy this book.
Anca Maria
Jul 12, 2013 Anca Maria rated it it was amazing
I liked the book.
Dan
Apr 15, 2013 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clifford, halloween
1 copy
Kaitlyn Rombach
Kaitlyn Rombach marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa added it
Aug 26, 2016
Tara Frye
Tara Frye rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Tracy Heathcoat-Stevens
Tracy Heathcoat-Stevens rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
  • Happy Halloween, Biscuit!
  • Franklin's Halloween
  • Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever!
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Ghost of the Forest
  • Dragon's Halloween
  • Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
  • T. Rex Trick-Or-Treats
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • The Littlest Pumpkin
  • Boo, Bunny!
  • Dogku
  • Here Comes Santa Cat
  • Curious George at the Fire Station
Norman Bridwell is an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He currently resides on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he continues to write an average of two books a year.

More about Norman Bridwell...

Clifford the Big Red Dog (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • Clifford Takes A Trip
  • Clifford's Halloween
  • Clifford's Tricks (Clifford)
  • Clifford The Small Red Puppy