Start by marking “The Armageddon Factor: The Rise of Christian Nationalism in Canada” as Want to Read:
The Armageddon Factor: The Rise of Christian Nationalism in Canada

The Armageddon Factor: The Rise of Christian Nationalism in Canada

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In her new book, award-winning journalist Marci McDonald draws back the curtain on the mysterious world of the right-wing Christian nationalist movement in Canada and its many ties to the Conservative government of Stephen Harper.

To most Canadians, the politics of the United States — where fundamentalist Christians wield tremendous power and culture wars split the country
Published May 11th 2010 by Random House Canada (first published April 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Armageddon Factor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Armageddon Factor

Peter Darbyshire
Unlike many Canadians, I've never believed Stephen Harper is the Second Coming of George Bush. First off, I think he's smarter than Bush, although I think Bush had more political cunning. And second, while Bush turned out to be even more religious and right than most of his followers anticipated, Stephen Harper has always appeared to me to be more of an economic conservative than a social one. Now that I've finished reading Marci McDonald's The Armageddon Factor: The Rise of Christian Nationalis ...more
As an American whose side of the political spectrum has spent much of the past few decades losing to the other side at least in part due to the influence of the religious right, I've long had an interest in understanding more about how the institutions of the religious right developed, how they operate, and how they are tied to (primarily, although not exclusively) the Republican Party. Despite that interest, I'd never really given much thought to the religious right in Canada, accepting the con ...more
Nykea
Illuminating connect the dots of the rise of Christian nationalism in Canadian politics. Brings to light Harper's ties to evangelical right wing organizations that I never thought could be so powerful.
Jean-François Lisée
Excellente présentation de la montée de la droite religieuse au Canada anglais.

Lire ma recension ici: http://www2.lactualite.com/jean-franc...
Peter
There needs to be an additional star in the rating list. There needs to be one that accepts good writing, a compelling read but at the same time a deep and abiding difficulty. I chose 3 stars because this book makes you argue and think and dispute and those are all good things. But at the same time, McDonald is engaged in spinning a conspiracy theory here that conflates and links too many people and too many perspectives into a vision of an overarching conspiracy bent on creating some Christian ...more
Hugh

I copied that from a summary of the book. Every Canadian should read this book. It makes what Mr. Harper doing understandable, and to many, very freightening. Read it and make up your own mind.
Dianne
details organised and far reaching efforts to counteract secularism in Canadian institutions, schools and government. An eye opening book.
Antic
An excellent book that exposes the close ties of the religious right to the current Conservative government of Canada.
Jane Harris-zsovan
Marci McDonald`s understanding of the root causes and of evangelical culture, particularly in Western Canada is minimal and somewhat stereotypical. Still, her book brings to light serious issues regarding the role of political organizations in churches.

In light of the Aberhart era in Alberta, which did more than anything to tie religion to political manipulation, there is much we should be wary of when politicians recruit in churches.

A book worth reading, but it contains some misunderstandings
Nadine Lumley

Marci McDonald, author of the upcoming The Armageddon Factor: The Rise of Christian Nationalism in Canada, says, "Harper has given the religious right a welcome and access in Ottawa and government they've never had before – and they've become used it."

Read First Chapter Free (scroll down page)

Review for free on Google Books:

Adrian Hart
There were actually few surprises in this book for me. I always had the sense that the Harper government was actively trying to import American-style religious politics into this country, opening the floodgates to allow the sickest and most depraved among the God-squad to mold this country into their own personal wet dream. This book just gave me one more reason to hate the Conservatives. I'm never voting for them again
Gary Patton
Feb 09, 2013 Gary Patton rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jesus Followers who wish to understand the left better & liberal humanists who wish to agree
Recommended to Gary by: Overview for Android
A well-written analysis of the issues in Canada that concern and upset evangelical Christians documented from a liberal and Liberal perspective of equal concern by Ms. McDonald.

She clearly documents what frightens the left about Christian activism in Canada. You'll better understand the humanistic worldview after reading Marci's book.

Enjoy, learn, and don't get ulcers!

GaryFPatton
Ibis3
A very thorough examination of the growing influence of dispensationalist and other extreme Christian fringe groups upon Canadian politics. Though it could stand some improvements (e.g. a chapter on mainstream religious and progressive groups' responses), well worth the read. A blog post with a more detailed review is coming...
Pierre A Renaud
A thoroughly researched historical and political account about the dominionist christian far-right's hijacking of the canadian conservative party (not dissimilar to that of the republican party in the USA) - and a wake-up call canadians are still ignoring at their risks and perils.
Jacqueline Worboys
A wake up call for all Canadians under Harper's watch.
Lynda
Very interesting and troubling information about how Canadian government officials are threatening our liberty. Anyone who values their religious liberty and our Charter of Rights and Freedoms needs to read this book. Hopefully before the next election (May 2nd, 2011) to prevent Stephen Harper and his Conservatives from obtaining a majority, or even another minority.

One quote from the book illustrates just how dangerous a Stephen Harper government is to our liberty.
"In February 2007, on the 25t
Ann Mcdowell
Ann Mcdowell marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Sébastien C marenger
Sébastien C marenger marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Mel
Mel added it
Sep 22, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Nancy Brake
Nancy Brake marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Craig M.
Craig M. marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Dave
Dave added it
Aug 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Armageddon factotum Yankee Doodle Dandy: Brian Mulroney and the American Agenda Out of Character