Start by marking “Death on Heels (A Crime of Fashion Mystery #8)” as Want to Read:
Death on Heels (A Crime of Fashion Mystery #8)

Death on Heels (Crime of Fashion #8)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  38 reviews
When fashion reporter Lacey Smithsonian moved to Washington, D.C., from rugged, small town Sagebrush, Colorado, she thought she’d never look back. But when her former boyfriend, cattle rancher Cole Tucker, is arrested for the murders of three women, Lacey digs her cowboy boots out of her closet and hops on the next plane.

She is certain of Tucker’s innocence, until he abduc
Published February 7th 2012 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Death on Heels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death on Heels

Front Page Fatality by LynDee WalkerKiller Hair by Ellen ByerrumRaiders of the Lost Corset by Ellen ByerrumDesigner Dirty Laundry by Diane VallereDesigner Knockoff by Ellen Byerrum
Fashionable Mysteries
14th out of 35 books — 23 voters
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterOut of Sight, Out of Time by Ally CarterCross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally CarterOnly the Good Spy Young by Ally CarterAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
The Girly Girl's List of Books
95th out of 98 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachelle
Just a few pages in, and I'm remembering why I took a break from this series. Lacey is a snob! She's better than everyone. Smarter. More clever. More stylish. Her poor friends are portrayed as lacking whatever Lacey has. One friend wears boring clothes, doesn't care about style, and dates a conspiracy nut. The other friend wears clothing on the other extreme, dyes her hair crazy colors, and dates a shady jewel thief (who, of course, Lacey is still suspicious of - but her friend is blindly in lov ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
I am just now stepping into the Crimes of Fashion series with DEATH ON HEELS (which is book 8) and I absolutely loved this book. Lacey is back in her old town; Sagebrush, Colorado to solve a crime. This may not appear to be a very big deal since Lacey has solved many crimes using her fashion knowhow, but to Lacey it is everything. Lacey must face the past to save her ex- boyfriend, Cole, from going to jail for murders Lacey knows he did not commit.

Lacey decides as a news reporter and as Cole's e
Samantha Janning
I received my copy of Death on Heels by Ellen Byerrum via CLP Blog Tours. I was really excited for this tour because I had heard of the Lacey Smithsonian mystery series but had never had the chance to read one of the books. Byerrum and her books are super popular and have such a loyal fan base. Some of her novels were even adapted to film by the Lifetime Movie Network! So, needless to say, I was thrilled to have the chance to work with such an accomplished author.

Diving in the book, I was immed
Kathleen
Never say never ... Lacey Smithsonian had vowed never to return to Sagebrush, Colorado ...

In the latest installment of the Crime of Fashion Mysteries, Lacey Smithsonian, Washington, D.C.'s fashion reporter and pseudo murder mystery sleuth, is heading back home to Sagebrush, Colorado, to prove that her ex-boyfriend is innocent of murder. Sexy cowboy cattle rancher Cole Tucker has been arrested for the murder of three women, and claims he was set up, but an anonymous tip call and evidence found on
Christine
Fashion reporter Lacey Smithsonian is shocked when she learns her ex-boyfriend Cole Tucker has been arrested for murder. Lacey decides a trip from Washington, D.C. back to Sagebrush, Colorado is necessary so she can attend Cole’s arraignment and get the inside story on what’s really going on. However, Lacey gets more than a scoop when she visits Cole in jail. Cole dupes the guard and escapes - taking Lacey with him! Lacey doesn’t know if this is the act of a man desperate to prove his innocence ...more
Beverly
I read this book back in October, but I'm a bit behind on posting reviews. If you have ever visited my blog then you know The Crime of Fashion Mystery Series is one of my all time favorite series. The books are always a good, solid, entertaining read.

In this latest installment, Lacey heads back to her home state of Colorado. As I am a transplanted Texas living in Colorado, that just made the story even more interesting. The ensemble of quirky side kicks (co-workers from The Eye Street Observer,
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I really enjoyed this cozy murder mystery. It was set in the main sleuth's hometown of Sagebrush, Colorado and all the fashion tips and murder tips revolved around Cowboy/Cowgirl wear.

The main sleuth is Lacey Smithsonian and she heads back home to the town she swore she would never return to, in aid of her ex-boyfriend, Tucker. Tucker has been collared for the triple murders of young women. Lacey can't believe that she would have ever dated a killer.

Along for the round-up comes new characters as
Martina Kopel
I'm not sure how Vic puts up with Lacey and her old boyfriend. Sometimes I just want to shake Vic, but I guess he's in LOVE. Lacey's Mother and sister were not to over powering. They helped out with the friend of the hostage instead of being the problem.
Kim
Lacey does it again. As a girl who grew up in the wild wild west, I love a good western. I also truly understand the need, want, and stature that the perfect pair of cowboy boots have. But in true Lacey Smithsonian style we have another murder mystery in need of solving. And as always Vic Donovan is there trying to keep His Girl Friday out of trouble. The usual cast of characters help muddle through the twists and turns of solving the murders pinned on Lacey's ex fiance. (She could never have lo ...more
Lara Tambellini
I love this series. This was so good!!!!!

She is certain of Tucker’s innocence, until he abducts her during a daring courthouse escape. Is Tucker capable of murder, too? Or is th
Deb
Lacey has herself in her usual hilarious fix. Three women have been found dead - and barefoot - on various country roads in the area of Sagebrush, Colorado. Since Lacey began her journalism career in this Western Slope town, she is naturally drawn back there when an ex-boyfiend is charge with the crimes. One kidnapping, two cross country horseback rides, a western wear shopping trip and may meals later, anther young woman in fancy cowgirl boots disappears. Lacey's co-workers Mac and Tony, her mo ...more
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
This is one of my favourite cozy mystery series and I was thrilled when Ms. Byerrum started writing them again. I have to admit at first I wasn't looking forward to this one as much, since I'm not a fan of my mystery series taking place "away" from the home turf. But Ms Byerrum won me over by seamlessly incorporating the cast of characters I've grown to love into this madcap, entertaining plot. The mystery itself was solid and well thought out and I absolutely loved the ending. I sincerely hope ...more
Dee
love me some Lacey!
Jan
Blah! This 7th book in Ellen Byerrum's Lacey Smithsonian series is a real dud. Takes place outside Washington DC & barely any fashion from Aunt Mimi's trunk. Only redeeming factor of the book is the progression of Lacey & Vic's relationship. Veiled Threat better be better or I may have to take a break from this series :(
Jean Ward
Reporter Lacey Smithsonian returns to her journalistic roots in Sagebrush, CO, to help an old friend accused of murder. On the scene, she encounters something far worse: TWO editors. *shudder* Ellen Byerrum's Lacey Smithsonian mysteries are among my favorite comfort reads, and this installment did not disappoint. :-)
Nancy Bradford
Another great book of the adventures of Lacey Smithsonian. I love when a series takes place away from the home area of the main character, no matter if it a place they have been before or a new place. This book leads you to wonder about how many new adventures Lacey and freinds can find.
Elisha (lishie)
I love Lacey & so look forward to her adventures that I savor these treats... This one took us "back" to Sagebrush, CO... And now I want a new pair of cowboy boots! I just have one thing to add to her commuter bag Fashion Bite- mine also must hold a book! Or else it is worthless to me.
Frank
A breezy entertainment tied in to some nice description of backwoods Colorado and nasty real estate and mineral interests. This time the fashion references are boots rather than dresses. Read this one on paper from the library because there's no electronic.
Angela
I love this series. I think it's a lot of fun. This may have been the best one in the series. It was a good mystery, fun read and a unique angle. I'll admit I may have been rooting for Lacey to fall back in love with Tucker a little bit (0=
Nicole
Still enjoying this series. I was a little surprised I liked this one so much as a lot of my attraction to the series is that it happens in DC. This one takes place in CO. Maybe it was all the descriptions of the amazing cowgirl boots.
Marilyn Knox
Falsely accused ex-boy friend accused of murder. Heroine comes to rescue with unusual talent for solving mysteries. She does it with fashion clues. In this case she uses cowboy boots. Fun but oh so light.
Colleen
This is the second Crime of Fashion book I've read. I really enjoyed the first one but this one was so much better! I'm very much enjoying the characters and am looking forward to reading the first 7 books.
Jane
Enjoyed a lot, as I did the 7 earlier ones. Lacey is up to her usual involvement in fashion reporting and crime solving. No (lack of)editing problems threw me out of the story, a rarity these days.
Ellen
Lacey heads out to the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, which I loved since I lived there as a kid. Desperately wanted to buy a new pair of cowboy boots after reading!
Phyllis
Although not the best book in this series, Death On Heels is still better than most in the genre. I enjoyed it and I think others will too. Recommended!
Cheris Hodges
I really enjoyed this book because it was amazing to see Cole and not just hear about him. Lacey is one of my favorite characters. She grows with each book.
Kathleen
Another fun installment in this series. This one sends us to Colorado where cowboy boots reign and so does the fashion sense of Lacey Smithsonian.
Michelle
I love this heroine, Lacey Smithsonian. I prefer the ones that take place in the DC area but this gave us some insight into her past.
Shirley Bergin

By far the best in the series. Anxiously waiting for the next book. Will there be another wedding besides Stella's ??
Brenda Kirton
Oct 07, 2012 Brenda Kirton rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brenda by: Selina
Shelves: mystery
Good mystery. I did not guess who the murderer was. It was fun seeing Lacey back in the place she ran away from
  • The Fashion Hound Murders
  • Fire Engine Dead (Museum, #3)
  • Dirty Rotten Tendrils (A Flower Shop Mystery, #10)
  • A Deal to Die For (Good Buy Girls, #2)
  • Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Man Waltzing (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #2)
  • Clutches and Curses (Haley Randolph, #4)
  • The Diva Digs Up the Dirt (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #6)
  • Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5)
  • Dead Air (A Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)
Ellen Byerrum is a Washington, D.C., news reporter, novelist and playwright. She also holds a Virginia private investigator's registration. Her Crime of Fashion mysteries star a savvy, stylish sleuth: Lacey Smithsonian, a reluctant fashion reporter in Washington D.C., "The City Fashion Forgot."
Lacey would rather be working "hard news," but her nose for nuance, eye for a great story, and talent f
More about Ellen Byerrum...
Killer Hair (Crime of Fashion, #1) Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2) Hostile Makeover (Crime of Fashion, #3) Raiders of the Lost Corset (Crime of Fashion, #4) Grave Apparel (Crime of Fashion, #5)