The Infernals (Samuel Johnson, #2)

The Infernals (Samuel Johnson vs. the Devil #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,783 ratings  ·  282 reviews
Samuel Johnson is in trouble. Not only is he in love with the wrong girl, but the demon Mrs. Abernathy is seeking revenge on him for his part in foiling the invasion of Earth by the forces of evil. She wants to get her claws on Samuel, and when Samuel and his faithful dachshund, Boswell, are pulled through a portal into the dark realm, she gets her chance.

PLEASE NOTE: This...more
Published October 18th 2011 by Atria Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Infernals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Infernals

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsNGLND XPX by Ian HutsonBrain by Dermot DavisSex in the Title by Zack LoveCatch-22 by Joseph Heller
Best Humor Writing
41st out of 295 books — 390 voters
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern11/22/63 by Stephen KingState of Wonder by Ann PatchettThe Art of Fielding by Chad HarbachThe Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
Kirkus Best Books of 2011
22nd out of 88 books — 173 voters

More lists with this book...

Brandon
In the preceding novel, The Gates, Samuel Johnson and his beloved dog, Boswell, managed to stop the invasion of Earth from the mighty forces of Hell. The defeated leader of Satan's army, Mrs. Abernathy (a sexless demon with a fondness for women's clothing), is desperately trying to get back into the good graces of The Great Malevolence while also planning her eventual revenge on the young boy and his meddling dog.

Despite Connolly leaving the ending of the first book pretty open ended for a poten...more
Lea

This continuation of the story begun in John Connolly's The Gates finds young Samuel Johnson and his dachshund, Boswell, once again fighting the legions of hell. This time, Samuel and Boswell have been pulled into hell itself by the demon Ba'al, who now lives as Mrs. Abernathy (having taken a liking to doilies, flowers and kittens while living as a woman on earth in the previous book).

Mrs. Abernathy has fallen out of favour after having her plans thwarted by Samuel and his friend, the demon Nurd...more
Jim
The Infernals: A Samuel Johnson Tale is the second in a series of tales aimed at what I guess is the Young Adult audience. Well, I'm an old adult [64 years young] and I enjoyed the Hell out of this book. It probably would help if you read the first volume - The Gates - because, thankfully, many of the characters are back. In this outing Samuel and his dachshund Boswell are pulled into Hell by Mrs. Abernathy, who also manages to snag two police officers, an ice cream man and his truck and four an...more
Melki
The following message is brought to you by Spiggit's Old Peculiar. Now proven to cause only TEMPORARY blindness. Ask for Spiggit's - The Beer with the Biohazard Symbol!

Yay! Mrs. Abernathy is back! Her teeth are still sharp and pointy, her tentacles still drip with slime, and she burns with a passion to destroy the one who kept her from taking over the earth for her master, The Great Malevolence.

After a failed attempt to open a doorway from Hell using that Large Hadron Collider thingy, the crew o...more
Jason
3 Stars

The Infernals, book number two in the Samuel Johnson vs. the Devil series is a great continuation to started in The Gates. A young boy named Samuel and his faithful Dachshund Boswell must once again fight to keep the horde of Hell from invading our home.

This book is different from the first in many regards. It takes place almost exclusively in Hell. There is very little character development. The cast is much smaller. The world a bit bleaker. It is also filled with some cool demons. Scary...more
Gatorman
Brilliant sequel to The Gates, this time following Samuel Johnson as he gets sucked into Hell by the evil Mrs. Abernathy along with four elves, two policemen and an ice-cream truck driver. Very funny and plenty of intense moments, with the usual pitch-perfect writing of Connolly. Looking forward to the next one. Highly recommended.
Paul Pessolano
“The Infernals” by John Connolly, published by Atria Books.

Category – Fantasy/Science Fiction

This book is an excellent change of pace for the adult reader and is definitely a great read for those who like Young Adult books.

I would suggest that you read John Connolly’s “The Book of Lost Things”, and the first in this series, “The Gates” before you read “The Infernals”.

If you have read “The Gates” you will remember that young Samuel Johnson and his dachshund, Boswell, became involved in opening th...more
Book Him Danno
I think we can thank JK Rowling for making the youth literature market a viable option for authors by proving that kids will buy books, especially ones that tell a compelling story that doesn’t stoop to the lowest commoner denominator for laughs. Following the path of great mystery writers like John Grisham and Carl Hiassen, John Connolly has entered the market with the intrepid Samuel Johnson and his ever faithful dachshund Boswell as they battle the forces of evil embodied in cranky Mrs. Abern...more
Mike
The Hell warming story of a boy named Samuel and his Dachshund Boswell. Both are trapped in purgatory located in another dimension which happens to be Hell. Samuel ends up in a rather hilarious segment of perdition entitled The Mountain Of Despair which happens to be ruled by the one and only The Great Malevolence. In recent history Samuel and Boswell foiled plans that were constructed by the evil Mrs. Abernathy and her cohorts of demons. Now she has learned to require an enormous amount of ener...more
Libby
2.5 - I enjoyed The Gates and was hoping for improvement in the sequel but was disappointed. Connolly is a highly imaginative and skilled author but this book was just okay - it wandered around too much. I did appreciate the idea of revamping Dante's journey through Hell for a young boy - and I still love the main character Samuel Johnson and his dog Boswell.

I listened to the audio edition of The Gates and The Infernals and would recommend both for a fun and quick distraction type read. The narr...more
Brooke
I'd given the first book in this series (The Gates) three stars and concluded that it was a fun, fluffy diversion from Connolly's Charlie Parker books. I'd picked this sequel up at the library not being entirely committed to it, but now I'm glad that I read it. It was a lot of fun and very clever, and I enjoyed that all of the footnotes were science-y (in keeping with the theme of the Large Hadron Collider being responsible for Samuel Johnson's misadventures, I suppose). Overall, The Infernals w...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I know these are considered YA but I really have reservations about giving these to a very young person. As I often do I suggest that parents read this first. Then they can decide if the8ir "youth" is mature enough for the book.

Okay that said, this is a humorous book. I don't think I appreciated as much as I should have as I was a bit depressed. There are some very funny sections here. (As in the first book, the footnotes are among the funniest parts).

So, follow up to the attempted invasion of e...more
Chris
Samuel Johnson has a problem. He asked a post box out. It didn't answer.

But on the plus side, he still has his faithful Boswell, and he's alive.

But, on the negative side, he is alive in Hell.

But there is a silver lining. He and Boswell are not alone in Hell. There are two police officers (bobbies), Dan the Ice Cream Man (and his truck), and four elves . . er dwarfs . . . er midgets . . . er vertically challenged men.

Actually, the last four are homicidal manics who scare boy bands.

(Honestly, wha...more
Elizabeth Ellen
The Infernals is a surreal adventure billed as YA, and it reads well that way in many aspects. The multiple-plotline style is said (by writing experts) to be difficult for YA readers to follow or appreciate, which could be distracting to readers who prefer a story to remain sharply focused on the protagonist.

This is BOOK TWO of a series. I did not realize this when I picked it from the library shelf, but the expertise of the author in cluing in a reader to book one was well-handled and didn't in...more
Sora91
Segunda aventura de Samuel Johnson. Han pasado unos meses desde la acción de "Las puertas del infierno" y Samuel vive tranquilo en su ciudad con su perrito Boswell, su madre y las apariciones de la Sra. Abernathy en los charcos de agua u otras superficies reflectantes de vez en cuando. Pero ya se sabe que la tranquilidad en los buenos libros no dura para siempre y menos cuando tenemos un colisionador de partículas con tendencia a abrir caminos hacia otras dimensiones de nuevo en funcionamiento.
L...more
Victoria
What a fun follow-up to The Gates! I really enjoyed reading this book! Who would have expected that a trip to Hell could be so entertaining? It really made for an exciting, even at times nerve-wracking, read. Connolly, an author who is so gifted in balancing his books, alleviates the anxiety he causes with a solid dash of humour and his wonderfully (and in the cases of the demons, surprisingly) real characters.

This book falls in the Young Adult market, and Connolly does a wonderful job of not on...more
Doreen Dalesandro
Genre: YA, horror
Rating: 3.5
I listened to this book.

The Infernals, the sequel to The Gates (which I absolutely enjoyed) was a bit disappointing. That may be because I had high expectations. Again, I love the way Mr. Connolly introduces scientific concepts into his story. I imagine it makes science fun for kids; it makes it fun for me! I will definitely read the sequels.

Tim Gerard Reynolds narrates. He does a good job, but I much prefer Mr. Cake.
Woodge
Samuel Johnson, they young boy who was the hero of The Gates, returns in this follow-up story. The arch-demon from Hell, Mrs. Abernathy, is nursing a grudge and wants revenge against Samuel and his dog Boswell. Naturally things get out-of-hand and four truculent dwarves also get involved. This is fun, funny stuff complete with footnotes and can be read very quickly. Still, The Gates is much better. Still again, I'd read a third installment in a heartbeat.
Chrissy
So far I have loved everything I have read by John Connolly, and The Infernals is no different! His writing style is cheeky and eloquent, and his use of footnotes is hilarious and spot-on. I also loved this book as a sequel to The Gates, and I look forward to (and hope for) more books in this series... the characters are wonderful, and the continuity between stories is awesome.
Even though this book is meant for young readers, I enjoyed every bit of it!
Colette
An "enjoyable romp" through Hell with Samuel Johnson and his little dog Boswell, the heroes of The Gates who have been dragged into Hell by the evil Mrs. Abernathy. Plenty imps, demons and drunken dwarves the keep you entertained as Samuel and his friends try to find a way back out of Hell. A very enjoyable read!
Julie
This book is the second in a series and I read it without reading the first. I still thoroughly enjoyed it.
A portal has been opened between hell and earth by the electron collider machine and a demon in hell (while trying to bring a boy to hell) accidentally brings the boy, an ice cream truck, a truck full of dwarves and a police cruiser with two policemen.
The story is easy to read, funny and I enjoyed it completely.
John Wiltshire
Well, this is an odd one. A kids' novel. Not something I usually read. However, John Connolly is my favourite author. His Charlie Parker series is just superb--dark, beautifully written, original, scary as all hell, but captivating. So, when a teenager in my writing classes said I should read his Samuel Johnson series (The Gates; The Infernals; The Creeps) I overcame my reluctance to read something pegged for YA and gave the first one a go. I'm so glad I did. The Gates is genuinely something new...more
Kathy Davie
Second in the Samuel Johnson vs the Devil urban fantasy series for kids and revolving around Samuel and his dog, Bosworth, who aren't in Biddlecombe anymore.

Technically, I know The Infernals (first published in the U.K. as Hell's Bells) is aimed at children, and adults should not allow this labeling to prevent their enjoying the Hell out of it!

My Take
This was great fun, although not as fabulously funny as the first one, The Gates . Still, it's the book to read when you're feeling low and need a...more
Leigh Terry
I like this kind of young adult fiction so much more than your "Hunger Games" and "Divergent." It's clever without being smarmy. It's warm without being pedantic. It's smart without being obnoxious. It's genuine in all the right spots.

In a continuation from "The Gates," Samuel Johnson and horde of familiar characters join up with some fresh allies to combat enemies new and old. This time, the battleground is Hell itself.

This is wonderfully quick and fun read, and the series seems like it's got...more
Laci
Oct 31, 2011 Laci rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: to-buy
Fun read. Some of the glib footnotes made me laugh out loud, which is rare for me when reading. I thought this was a very well-rounded finisher for Samuel's story.
Sharon
Listened to the first one but read this one. It took me FOREVER to finish reading this; I realized at some point that I was finding other things to do instead of reading. Much of this book takes place in Hell, and it reflects the dark and dreary atmosphere. Bleak. Hell coming to Biddlecombe, England, is a lot more fun than Samuel & his little dog Boswell being stuck in Hell with four alcoholic dwarfs and two bumbling Keystone cops. War in Hell just... dragged.

Unsure if I'll pick up the thir...more
Connie
OMG I love this sequel! Everyone is back including Ms. Abernathy, Nurd (no longer the scourge), Wormwood, and even Spigott's Peculiar makes a come back. There are also new companions including a group of mischievous elves or dwarves and an ice cream man. And of course Samual and his trustworthy dog, Boswell. After the terrible aftermath of the Earth invasion from demons, Hell breaks loose again (literally). But this time with an epic battle between demons and a lesson about portals and multivers...more
Michelle
(3.5 stars) In the sequel to The Gates, we see Samuel is still being haunted by the demon that took over Mrs. Abernathy. She appears to him in reflective surfaces and reminds him that she is still waiting to exact her revenge. While the village recovers from their encounter with hell's minions, Samuel is dealing with more mundane issues. He is humiliated when his vanity in taking off his glasses causes him to ask out a postbox rather than one of the most popular girls in school. Things go from b...more
Бранимир Събев
Джон Конъли, един от любимите ми автори продължава историята за Самюел Джонсън и неговия дакел Бозуел, която започна в "Портите". Не че е лоша, просто първата книга беше по-добра.

Както може би сте разбрали от предната книга, малкият Самюел успява да затвори портала с помощта на един демон, наречен Нърд, с когото се сприятеляват. Раздялата ги мъчи и двамата - Сам е в нашия свят, Нърд в Ада и т.н. Злобната г-жа Абернати/демонът Баал обаче отказва да приеме поражението. А то е голямо. Сатаната вие...more
Cheryl
This is a YA book, but very, very funny. John Connolly's hero is Samuel Johnson and his dog Boswell, whom have upset Mrs. Abernathy, one of Hell's most fearsome demons in a most profound way. Just the names of the boy and the dog, made me chuckle right away, never mind that one of the locations is Shirley Jackson street, heheh. Connolly is extremely fond of footnotes which can be found liberally peppered throughout the book. Do not skip over them, as they are some of the funniest parts of the bo...more
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
  • Chasing the Moon
  • Jasmyn
  • My Boyfriend Bites (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #3)
  • Deadfall Hotel
  • The Small Hand and Dolly
  • The Isle of Blood (The Monstrumologist, #3)
  • Scary Dead Things (The Tome of Bill, #2)
  • Scarlett Dedd
  • Urchin and the Raven War (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #4)
  • Stiltskin
  • Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar #2)
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam (Good Thief's Guide, #1)
  • Tong Lashing (Sir Apropos of Nothing, #3)
  • The Beautiful and the Damned
  • Beauty (Tales from the Kingdoms, #3)
  • Night Terrors (Shadow Watch, #1)
  • Apocalypse Cow
John Connolly was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1968 and has, at various points in his life, worked as a journalist, a barman, a local government official, a waiter and a dogsbody at Harrods department store in London. He studied English in Trinity College, Dublin and journalism at Dublin City University, subsequently spending five years working as a freelance journalist for The Irish Times newspaper...more
More about John Connolly...
The Book of Lost Things Every Dead Thing (Charlie Parker, #1) The Gates (Samuel Johnson, #1) The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3) Dark Hollow (Charlie Parker, #2)

“Why is there always one bloke in these boy bands who looks like he came to fix the boiler and somehow got bullied into joining the group?” 11 likes
“There's a difference between living and just surviving. Do something you love, and find someone to love who loves that you love what you do.
It is really that simple.
And that hard.”