Start by marking “Damaged: A Violated Trust (Secrets, #3)” as Want to Read:
Damaged: A Violated Trust (Secrets, #3)

Damaged: A Violated Trust (Secrets #3)

Sixteen-year-old Haley's life is about to change. With divorced parents, she's allowed to choose who to live with. Tired of Mom’s restrictions (like no dating), she picks laid-back Dad, although that means she'll have to go to a new school. But even that situation starts to look up when hottie Harris Stephens flirts with her. And when he asks her out, Haley ecstatically ac ...more
Published September 19th 2011 by Think

To ask other readers questions about Damaged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damaged

Michelle
I couldn't pull myself away from this story until I finished the book. Yeah, I read it straight through. I love this entire "Secrets" series by NavPress's TH1NK imprint. And frankly, out of all of the Melody Carlson YA books that I've read so far, I like this one the best. I know I also said that about Shattered, and Never Been Kissed so far this year, and about several of the author's YA books last year, but they were all good for different reasons. Damaged was a realistic and empowering novel ...more
Carissa
Just as I was moved to grief by Enticed and Forgotten, Damaged reminds me of how desperately victims of sexual abuse need support and compassion. When Haley petitions the court to live with her dad, she's hoping that this will be the start of new beginnings. Sure, dad has a girlfriend who's closer to her age than his, but it's awesome being able to dress in clothes she likes and have a little freedom from her mother's overprotective nature. Within a few days of being at a new school, it feels li ...more
Alex
May 06, 2011 Alex rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian-books
I love Melody Carlson's books, but this one really didn't work for me. I was surprised that she was willing to "go there" on the topic of rape, and I do commend her for writing this. But it felt very unrealistic to me. Honestly, Haley really didn't seem that damaged to me. I felt like this was a wasted opportunity to show the emotional fallout that an act like this can have, and Haley just didn't seem that torn up about it. For goodness sakes, she goes straight to school on Monday hoping to run ...more
Sharon
May 01, 2013 Sharon rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, nook-books, 2013
The character development for the first half of the book is bad. I also found it annoying how she jumped from thought to thought without any smooth transition. It kept making me lose my concentration and interest in the story.

About Haley....She moves to a new town and meets a boy. That's fine, but why does she insist she knows better than EVERYBODY else when they try to warn her away? She didn't know anybody or their history and she's completely in love and dreaming about marriage one week after
Paula  Phillips
Jun 23, 2013 Paula Phillips rated it really liked it
One of my favourite Christian Teen Writers happens to be Melody Carlson, I find all her books target those edgier issues that happens in teens lives, the issues that many feel ashamed or are unable to write about them from human trafficking to drugs and teen pregnancies to rape. Damaged is Book #3 in her latest series "Secrets" and focuses on the issue first of a strict Christian household as her parents are now divorced and her mum is focused strongly on religion , so much that it can almost c ...more
J.
May 02, 2013 J. rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, kindle
This is the first book I've read by Melody Carlson, and I'm not really sure why I decided to read it, except that it sounded interesting and was free on Amazon.

The first thing that struck me was that the verb tense was uncomfortable to read; the actions had the feel of being told in a past sense, but the thought and character voice was painfully present tense. That may be why I felt so detached from Haley through out the story.

The characters felt cardboard and predictable. All of Haley's story f
Audrey Grant
Jan 02, 2013 Audrey Grant rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
This book is not an easy one to write a review on. It is well written and the Author gets inside the heart, mind and feelings of the main character but the subject matter is pretty rough and so I would have to recommend discretion on who reads this.
Having been (SPOILER ALERT) raped as a young teen myself, Melody did a good job of writing the emotions, thoughts, fears and PTSD that comes from it.
But I think it would best be read as a recovery tool for those who have gone through it than as a prev
Dawn Turner
Mar 13, 2012 Dawn Turner rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: My teenage nieces - without qualms
Recommended to Dawn by: Michelle Sutton
Melody has really outdone herself with this book! Not only does she handle the first person point of view beautifully within its pages, she handles the topic so incredibly well that I'm blown away. Date rape is a very real danger in the life of today's teens (and that threat doesn't end when you hit 20 either!).

The main character, Haley, shows the reader what it's like through her eyes, and the incredible struggle to overcome the brokenness that such a trauma leaves in a life. Accountability and
Mar 09, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
This was a quick read, but decently written. The thing I found best is it is one of the more realistic books I've read that involve rape. I have read quite a few where when the survivor opens up about it, everyone is all sympathetic and loving, etc. I feel like this book showed what is more likely to happen (people say you lie; it was your fault). The ending was really rushed, but overall it was decent.
Brandi
May 01, 2013 Brandi rated it liked it
I have to say this isn't my usual genre - YA Christian fiction, but it was free for my Kindle, so I figured I might as well. It wasn't bad. The Christian aspects weren't overbearing - and I really felt sympathy for Haley because of her mother. Anyway, as I said, it wasn't bad. It's been a long time since I was 16 and I was never in any situations like hers, so I couldn't really relate, but I did like her and overall, it was a quick good read, especially for a freebie.
Catherine
May 25, 2012 Catherine rated it it was ok
I was torn on the rating of this book. I wanted to give it a higher rating because I feel the issue of rape is important and seldom addressed in YA Christian fiction. But the whole book kind of fell flat, really. I don't know exactly why I feel this way, truthfully. I wish I could say more but even a couple weeks after reading it I can't sort my thoughts out. Maybe I'll write a more cohesive review later.
Nov 09, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
C.J. Darlington
3 1/2 stars. A solid novel from one of the top YA authors in the CBA market. The Secrets series books are all about issues, and that at times seems a little forced (here's a book about date rape, here's a book about homelessness, etc.) so it feels preachy in spots. Very well written though, and certainly a topic worth discussing with teens.
Grant
Apr 21, 2014 Grant rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-book, 2014-52
I thought that it was a good book. I stayed with the story. I felt along with the words and really stuck close to this one. I recommend it but the subject matter can be disturbing. Playing with emotions is one thing but taking advantage as with this subject matter takes it far from playing. I did like the book though, and getting around each page to see what was going to happen next.
Bec
Mar 25, 2014 Bec rated it did not like it
It's good that a teen christian-fiction author has decided to look at an issue such as this one, but the story is not good and the second half of the book is far too rushed. Not one of Melody Carlson's good books.
Hannah
May 02, 2013 Hannah rated it really liked it
Melody Carlson is just about the only one I trust to write Christian teen fiction. She manages to tell good stories without getting trite or preachy, and she handles a tricky subject here with truth and compassion. Nicely done.
Kimmie
May 13, 2013 Kimmie rated it it was amazing
Quick read and well worth it. The topic is so relevant to how today's teen girls can get mixed up in something and not know how to find their way out. Every person needs someone to talk to and confide in.
Courtney Starks
May 12, 2013 Courtney Starks rated it liked it
I liked this book ok and even though it seems to have been Christian fiction it didn't beat you over the head with it. I honestly wouldn't have probably read it had I known it was a Christian story, but I liked it well enough to finish it.
Laura Ramsey
Jul 31, 2013 Laura Ramsey rated it really liked it
This is a good teen read. Hope to get my girls to check it out.
Abby
Oct 23, 2013 Abby rated it really liked it
very interestin and compelling great read for teens
Mari Aaliyah
May 05, 2013 Mari Aaliyah rated it it was amazing
it was pretty good. these charactors are real a**es, tho
Lizziepeps
Aug 02, 2013 Lizziepeps rated it liked it
So sad:(
Melissa
Jan 21, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
You can guess what is going to happen to this teenage girl who moves to a new town and school. Although I did not find any surprises, I think it is a good book to discuss date rape with young women.
Linda
Jun 15, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Melody Carlson. She took a very difficult subject and made sense of the emotions and weaved in optimism and faith. Great job Melody!
Becky Pierce
May 03, 2013 Becky Pierce rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It could very well be a lifetime movie!! I read and read and read - staying up way too late on a work night to read and see what would happen. Very engaging -
Brookie
Apr 30, 2013 Brookie rated it really liked it
Read this in 2 days. It's a really quick read. I think a lot of teenage girls should read this book and take a more proactive approach in preventing date rape.
TheSmellyLady
Jan 12, 2014 TheSmellyLady rated it it was amazing
excellent book! all of us have been damaged in some way at least once in our lives.
Jayne Capps
Jayne Capps rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Annika Bergin
Annika Bergin rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: cover needed for kindle ed 3 20 Apr 29, 2013 06:27PM
  • Finding Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #2)
  • Maggie Come Lately (The Pathway Collection, #1)
  • Nothing Else Matters
  • Winter's Wrath: Sacrifice  (Winter's Saga, #3)
  • Battery Brothers
  • Georgetown Academy: Book Two
  • Jake's Choice (To Save a Life, #2)
  • Say the Word
  • Asking for Trouble (London Confidential, #1)
  • It's Not About Me (Second Glances, #1)
  • The Discovery of Socket Greeny (Socket Greeny, #1)
  • Perfectly Dateless (Universally Misunderstood, #1)
  • The Fall of Candy Corn (Sweet Seasons, #2)
  • Composing Amelia
  • Hot
  • Lily (Song of the River #1)
  • The Heart's Journey (Stitches in Time #2)
  • Tidings of Great Boys (All About Us, #5)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...

Secrets (6 books)
  • Forgotten: Seventeen and Homeless (Secrets, #1)
  • Shattered: A Daughter's Regret (Secrets, #2)
  • Trapped: Caught in a Lie (Secrets, #4)
  • Deceived: Lured from the Truth (Secrets, #5)
  • Enticed: A Dangerous Connection (Secrets, #6)

“I have become convinced that God thoroughly enjoys fixing and saving things that are broken. That means that no matter how hurt and defeated you feel, no matter how badly you have been damaged, God can repair you. God can give anyone a second chance.” 42 likes