Start by marking “The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles, #0.5)

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles 0.5)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  5,839 ratings  ·  794 reviews
Finley Jayne knows she's not 'normal'. Normal girls don't lose time, or have something inside them that makes them capable of remarkably violent things. Her behavior has already cost her one job, so when she's offered the lofty position of companion to Phoebe, a debutante recently engaged to Lord Vincent, she accepts, despite having no experience. Lord Vincent is a man of ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Strange Case of Finley Jayne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strange Case of Finley Jayne

Navessa
This little novella was slipped into the beginning of my copy of The Girl in the Steel Corset, and somehow I didn’t realize it until I got to the end. Shaddup, I haven’t had enough coffee this morning.

If there was one word I could use to sum this up, it would be FUN. I enjoyed ever single moment of this. It was filled with the type of witty banter that some of my favorite historical romance authors excel at, the seamless world building reminded me of what I expect to find in urban fantasy, and
Nikki
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is a quick, fun prequel to a book I haven't yet read, The Girl in the Steel Corset. It works reasonably well on its own, without having to infodump. If you're used to steampunky worlds, it isn't that different, at least at first glance.

It's not very subtle or very deep, but then, it is a short story/novella (not sure how many words it has and which exactly it qualifies as). Basically, it introduces the character of Finley Jayne, who is rapidly realising that she'
Anne
I was blown away by the character development in this short-story, especially considering it was free. I guess it's proof that every now and then a little gem does pop up on the freebie list.

The story has some pretty crazy Frankensteinish elements to it, which may not appeal to everyone, but I thought it was fun. The plot was fast-paced, and Finley was a thoroughly interesting heroine.

I've been riding the fence when it came to reading The Girl in the Steel Corset, mainly because I'm burned out
Wendy Darling
Well, well, well. This short story, which is billed as a prequel to The Girl in the Steel Corset, is probably technically better than the actual book, if only because it feels more complete and is much tauter and better plotted. The mechanical wizardry is still a little nuts, but somehow it's in a more enjoyable way here--it's almost what you'd expect from a film that's been MST3K'd.

There weren't quite as many threads connecting it to the main story as you might hope, aside from a few near-miss
Sonia
This is a preview of the book, the girl in the steel closet. It is the first Steampunk I read. And I unexpectedly find that I quite enjoy reading story set in this period.

In this book, we are introduced to a heroine, Finley, who possesses supernatural strength and speed. She is a tough, unpretentious and smart girl that you are going to love. She protects those she loves with all her might.

This is a story full of action, suspense and mystery. I am intrigued to read book 1, not only to discover
Vane
2.5 out of 5 stars

I don't normally read novellas. I don't think I've read more than five of them, but I decided to try this one because it was said it is better than the series. And it was true.

This less than a hundred pages novella was much more fun than the series. In first place, Finley is better developed... in less than a hundred pages. In the series, she's boring, while in this book, she's more kick-ass, which is what I wanted from the series.

In second place, this is much more fast-paced.
AH

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is the prequel to The Girl in the Steel Corset. I picked up this short novella as a free download from Kobo books. The title and the cover were attractive and its relatively short length encouraged me to read it. I'll admit that while I liked the story, I just wasn't wowed.

It seems to me that a lot of authors are jumping on the steampunk bandwagon. I enjoy the genre; I love the contraptions and gadgets. This story had all sorts of cool gadgets, from simple flush
Kate McMurry
An action-packed, short-story prequel to the YA steampunk novel, The Girl in the Steel Corset

As an appetizer for The Girl in the Steel Corset, this short story works really well. It gives a tantalizing glimpse into the life of sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne before the events of The Steampunk Chronicles series.

Finley lives in an alternate-universe Victorian England where familiar, modern-day technology exists, but with a brass-and-steam twist in keeping with the actual technology of the real Vict
Donna
Miss Finley has lost her job all due to her defending an helpless child, so home to mom it is. But that is not all, she has another problem and she fears that it will be the fall of her. She has no one to turn to. She needs another job but as odd as it seems that was not hard as the job offer came looking for her!

She was offered a position to be a companion to Miss Phoebe but she can not believe her ears, how can this be? She accepts the offer and her whole life is changed! Phoebe is such a rema
Philip
This was a quick read. As such, the author didn't take very much time giving much plausible reasoning/justification for a lot of what happened. It just happened that way and those people did those things, deal with it.

There is enough background/introduction to make it alright as a stand-alone story; I didn't feel like I was missing anything substatial, but it was obvious that it was part of a series and Finley Jayne was more developed elsewhere. At least I hope it's part of a series, or else I m
Joanna
Wow! I never thought it would be this good!

The strange case of Finley Jayne is her supernatural strengths. She may not be able to control her temper sometimes but she (so far) uses this in a good way especially when protecting the people she serves or her loved ones. And in this new job, she protects her new companion, Lady Phoebe from the mad scientist/mechanic Lord Vincent and him marrying her.

The setting is in London which is a perfect lovely setting for this historical yet robotic era of aut
Kate Copeseeley
Three words that have stuck in my head since reading this short story/ novella: lackluster, disappointing, and uncertain.

I haven't read Kady Cross before, but I bought "The Girl in the Steel Corset" and thought, since this little prequel was free on Kindle, that I'd pick it up and read it as well. The three words I used previous to describe it, highlight each of the three issues I found with this story.

First of all, steampunk is one of the most exciting genres to catch on in YA fiction thus far.
Petra (Safari Poet)
This prequel introduces the main character of The Girl In the Steel Corset, Finley Jane. It's starts with her being fired for sticking up for a little boy, which right away tells me what kind of person she is. This is the second time she's been fired in a short time. She thinks something must be wrong with her and that she's evil because of her sometimes dark thoughts, super strength and hearing.

She goes home to her mother and stepfather, Silas even though she'd rather not be a burden to them. B
Elizabeth
This short story was actually at the beginning of the ebook The Girl in the Steel Corset, and I have to say I like Finley more in this story than in the actual book. I really liked the book, but the girl in the short story is more daring and in control. I was a little sad to finish this and then move to the book where she's less feisty.

After being fired from her position as a maid for hitting the governess after she made one of the small children cry Finley is worried that she won't be able to f
Kate
This novella was included as part of the ebook The Girl in the Steel Corset. It is a prequel told in first person, where Finley Jayne is employed as a companion for a wealthy young lady engaged to be married to a devious man with a dangerous plan - the lady's mother has heard of Finley's unusual strength and her penchant to fight for what is right, and as the mother hopes, Finley is suspicious of the fiance and takes it upon herself to discover his real plan.

The novella was a such a great introd
Veronica Morfi
I love prequels! You can get a pretty good idea about the real thing from them. And I think I'm going to love these series.

Finley Jayne is not normal. She can see and hear better than anyone and is stronger than any guy is knows. Finley has a new job as a "freind" of a girl her age, Phoebe, who just got engaged. Phoebe's mother is worried about the man her daughter is to marry and hires Finley to find out his secrets, which are darker than she could ever imagine.

This the first Steampunk book I'v
Jayne
This was my first novella. I didn't realise until a few pages in and I was put off by the mere eighty pages, but I chose to go on, as...

a. there were so many wonderful elements
b. it leads on to five plus other fully-paged-novels!
c. I began to feel a connection to the protagonist.

This is also my first encounter with the Steam Punk genre, which brought a unique element to the story that I really enjoyed; in addition to the fashions, the Chocolatiers and the dainty sipping of tea in the parlor (
Viola
I loved it so much!!!
Brittany

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne, is a short story the gives the reader a background story to how Finley Jane becomes a bodyguard-detective. Within the backdrop of a steampunk inspired world, the reader is introduced to Finley Jane, a strong willed, charismatic woman. Recently fired from her position as a servant, due to her inability to control her temper Finley must find new employment. Finley isn't like other women; this allows her to use her extraordinary abilities to become a steampunk supe
Margaret Fisk
I picked up this novella as a freebie introduction to a Harlequin Teen Steampunk series because I was curious about the line and enjoy Steampunk. I was in no way disappointed.

Finley is an engaging character with unexplained differences that I suspect relate to her mysterious father but are not resolved in the novella. These differences cause her nothing but trouble until she is approached by Lady Morton who, rather than being appalled by Finley’s abilities, wants to employ Finley because of her
Libby Chester
I really liked this book! It's a new genre called steampunk, which I find interesting. I've read a book by Cassandra Clare, don't remember the name, but I think it may also be classified as steampunk. At any rate, I'm fascinated by how a new genre comes into being. Steampunk (the way I understand it) combines science and magic and usually steam engines or clockworks and often (tho maybe not always) a Victorian setting. I'm still trying to figure it out. In this story by Kady Cross, Finley Jayne ...more
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Get this ebook for FREE from eHarlequin here.

This story, set before the events of The Girl In The Steel Corset, takes you right into the heart of this world and offers you a chance to see Finley before she began to grow accustomed to her abilities and duel personality.

Finley is very much the same girl as she was in The Girl In The Steel Corset, however a little more unsure about her abilities. Here she’s just getting used to them and really has no idea what they mean or the trouble they will ca
Danielle
Quick read, this YA novella is a prequel to the Steampunk Chronicles and can be read as a stand-alone book, being a story in itself. I read these ahead of my young daughter, gives me an excuse to read some YA!

Set in Victorian London, this has a unusual blend of historical and futuristic elements that correspond with the dual personality of the heroine, Finley Jayne.

The author does a decent job of writing in a British style of language and behavior, and I nearly thought that perhaps she was Engl
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
For a prequel novella this is seriously impressive. The eBook offers a fully contained (though short, of course) plot line, and features some very interesting characters. It's easy to figure out the twist, but it's still very fun to get there in the book. I love the steampunk combination of the new and the old. There's fun mentions of mechanical things, but not too much if you're not super into that kind of thing. Mostly this novella made me really excited to read 'The Girl in the Steel Corset' ...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
I haven't read that many steampunk books but I have read a few, and this is definately my favourite one of the (rather small) pile. Steampunk isn't a widely known genre, so to help along here is the wikipedia, oh great holder of all knowledge's, definition:

"...steampunk involves an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century and often Victorian era Britain—that incorporates prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature
Karina Halle
There's nothing wrong with a quickie. Somedays maybe you want to give Sting a run for his money, other days you just want to get to the point in the quickest and most pleasurable way possible. The Strange Case of Finley Jayne was one of those books. Well, novellas.

I started reading this when I was stalling at the beginning of its quasi-sequel, The Girl in the Steel Corset. Admittedly, I was wondering if I'd even finish the book - the writing was fine, and though I had to get "into" the whole gim
Kelly
In this novella, we are introduced to Finley Jane and the victorian steampunk world around her. It sort of reminded me of The Wild, Wild West (the Will Smith version) with all the mechanical devices in it.

Anyway, we meet Ms. Jane as she is fired from one job for hitting the governess (yes, hitting, but hang with me) and then hired to become the companion of a young woman about to be married. Ms. Jane is welcomed into the family in a way we all wish would happen to us. She is paid more than she
Rayne
It was entertaining, it had some cool (even if somewhat silly) action scenes and I liked Finley a lot better here than I did in the novel, because in this one, she had the perk of having an actual personality.

But, aside from that, I am extremely pissed with this YA trend to include classics in stories just for the hell of it without doing proper research first.

If you have not read the book, don't assume the movie is just the same!

I think I've read this same fuck-up about four times in all of my
Megan (The Book Babe)

Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is a fantastic prequel to The Steampunk Chronicles. It puts us in the perfect place to learn how Finley ended up in the first household, and to learn more about her parents and such.

I liked the little details that were dropped here and there, such as the colors of the gowns and how much Phoebe looked like Lord Vincent's late wife, etc. I enjoyed getting to know the characters bit by bit-- it appears that Phoebe w
Nicole
This was a free promotional download for Kindle (one of the few that aren't wretched Harlequin smut novels) so I thought I'd try it out. I was unfamiliar with the "steampunk" genre, but it sounded interesting. The closest thing I can compare steampunk to is the Will Smith movie "Wild Wild West", where they have mechanical devices that are old-fashioned, yet more advanced than really existed... I don't know, mechanical horses and metal eyeballs. It's weird, but it works.

Anyway, I really liked thi
Romance Readers R...: Buddy Reads -Meet and Greet- The Strange Case of Finley Jayne-Starts Feb 1! 13 17 Feb 01, 2014 03:55PM
The Steampunk Chronicles 5 25 Jul 15, 2012 06:01AM
  • Photographs & Phantoms (Gaslight Chronicles, #2)
  • Flash Gold (Flash Gold Chronicles #1)
  • Like Clockwork
  • The 19 Dragons
  • Viridis (Viridis, #1)
  • Her Own Devices (Magnificent Devices, #2)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Haunting the Night (Past Midnight, #2.5)
  • Supernatural Devices (Steampunk Scarlett, #1)
  • The Mysterious Lady Law
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • Clockwork Fagin (Free Story from Steampunk!)
  • The Burning Sky (Halcyon #1)
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
  • Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances
Kady Cross is a pseudonym for USA Today bestselling author Kathryn Smith. She lives in Connecticut with her husband and a pride of cats. She likes singing with Rock Band on the 360, British guys, Vietnamese food, and makeup (she’s hopelessly addicted to YouTube makeup tutorials!). When she’s not writing Kady likes to catch up on her favorite TV shows, read a good book or make her own cosmetics.
More about Kady Cross...

Steampunk Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1)
  • The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
  • The Girl with the Iron Touch (The Steampunk Chronicles, #3)
  • The Girl with the Windup Heart (Steampunk Chronicles, #4)
The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1) The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2) The Girl with the Iron Touch (The Steampunk Chronicles, #3) The Girl with the Windup Heart (Steampunk Chronicles, #4) The Dark Discovery of Jack Dandy (Steampunk Chronicles, #2.5)

“You're the very spawn of Satan and I'll not have you darken this door ever again.” 11 likes
“Learn from it and then let it go. Dwelling never helped anyone.” 11 likes