Start by marking “Against the Storm (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #4)” as Want to Read:
Against the Storm (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #4)
Preview

Against the Storm (Against aka Raines of Wind Canyon #4)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,907 ratings  ·  109 reviews
Some women find trouble wherever they go. And some men are their only protection against it.

Redheads like Maggie O'Connell are nothing but trouble. But Trace Rawlins, a former army ranger turned private investigator, takes the case anyway. After all, he knows a thing or two about women.

Trace can sense that something is wrong--Maggie isn't telling him everything. If these m
Published October 25th 2011 by Mira (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Storm

Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog Rating: 2.5/5 stars

Maggie’s pulse roared. Her breathing quickened and damp heat poured through her. Trace kept kissing her, soft moist kisses that made her toes curl inside her sneakers and need tighten like a fist in her belly. The kiss deepened, turned erotic. A soft moan escaped. He tasted like heaven. Like cinnamon and coffee and hot, sexy male.

Maggie is being stalked, but can’t turn to the local police to help. After falsely accusing a high sch
Ruth
I really wanted to like this one, provided by netgalley. I really, really did want to like it, but only because it took me so long to read it, unfortunately.

There were some portions of the book which really were quite good, particularly focused when the plot starts to shift into gear and progress. Those sections moved and were written with urgency and clarity. Unfortunately, there just weren't enough of these great sections to make it an enjoyable read.

I won't go into gory detail on all the thin
Barbara Ann
Against the Storm (The Raines of Wind Canyon) is the fourth book in Kat Martin’s series. However, it can be read as a stand-alone. The story centers on Maggie O’Connell, a well-known photographer in Houston, TX. Recently, she has become the target of a stalker who leaves messages on her answering machine and car windshield, promising they will be together soon.
She’s gone to the local police for help, but, because of a false accusation she made to police while in high school, they are reluctant t
Pheonix Fanfiction
These are my thoughts while reading:

0.0% I wasnt too sure what to read next Ive read seven amazing books in a row (the burg series and Temptation series) so I have a MASSIVE book hangover! But Im going to start this tomorrow - I loved the first three books and am in the mood for some romantic suspense :) I just hope I can rate this fairly and not compare it to the books Ive just read! :)

Finally starting this now! Been watching Bones all day instead haha but Im going to read this for a couple hou
jenjn79
I wasn't sure I was going to read this second "Raines" trilogy since the first one was only so-so for me. But there haven't been many new books out that have peaked my interest so I thought I'd give it a try. And I'm glad I did. I enjoyed this book quite a bit.

Series Note:
This is the fourth book in the "Raines of Wind Canyon" series, which is a low-key romantic suspense series about some sexy Alphas mostly in the security business helping some women in need. This book is the first book in the se
Deborah (LoveToReadRomance)
Trace can sense that something is wrong—Maggie isn't telling him everything. If these menacing calls and messages are real, why won't the police help her? And if they aren't real, what is she hiding?
As Trace digs deeper to find the source of Maggie's threats, he discovers a secret that no one was meant t
Mary Gramlich
AGAINST THE STORM by Kat Martin
Book #4 in the Raines of Wind Canyon Series
10/11 – Mira - Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages

Why is it that the one thing you want the most is the last thing you should have?

Maggie O’Connell is a well respected professional photographer with a great life, a future of success, and numerous professional accolades. Her philanthropic deeds have made her well respected in Houston which is one of the many reasons she is questioning why someone appears to be stalking her. Ma
Charline Ratcliff
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I agreed to review “Against the Storm” by author Kat Martin but...I certainly didn’t expect to read a romance novel that was as fast-paced, compelling and interesting as one of today’s well-written action / adventure novels. After finishing my copy of “Against the Storm” I can completely understand why Kat Martin is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author.

The premise of “Against the Storm” is this: Maggie O’Connell is a beautiful and extremely talented
Kerry  sullivan
I love Kat Martin's books they drag you in quickly and keep you hooked with a mixture of suspenseful drama and hot love story and neither element give in easy so you are kept guessing. What i liked most was how much the characters got under my skin. i was blown away by Ash and Robbie, in fact by the little family as a whole, best of all half way through I still didn't know who the stalker was. The stalker reveal was great and I loved the end I will be reading the next one and I am hoping for a l ...more
Darla Stokes
I nearly put this book down after the first chapter. The heroine is "foxy"? The hero "has a thing for redheads" (which, of course, the heroine is). There's a lot of name-dropping of what I assume are characters in other books by the same author. There are a lot of cliches and random unnecessary details that don't go anywhere.

Fortunately, by the second half of the book, the mystery picks up--discovering who's stalking the heroine--and either the writing smoothed out, or the plot was engaging eno
Patricia Solla
In this book the reader meets Trace Rawlins a PI who has been hurt by a lying woman and no longer trusts women not to lie to him. Trace is hired by a woman (a photographer) who is being stalked by someone but claims the police don't believe (but withholds the truth) and needs someone to protect her and find out who it is stalking her. Meanwhile unknown to the photographer she has taken a picture that someone does not want to be seen by the wrong people and has hired people to destroy the picture ...more
Maureen Hubley
I was able to find all the missing books in the series and plan on doing some reading this long weekend. Up next is Against the Night.
Carlin
I've decided I like contemporary romantic mysteries and this was a good one. Although the romance part followed the predictable pattern, the mysteries (there were two going on at once) certainly kept the story line going in more unpredictable ways (of course, you know everything will work out OK in the end). I will read more of Kat Martin's books. This one was #4 in her the Raines of Wind Canyon series but it easily functioned as a stand-alone book. I have checked out #5 in the series to read ne ...more
Susan
Good book that kept me intrigued from the beginning. Maggie has been getting creepy notes and calls, but the police are no help at all. When a friend suggests she hire a private investigator, she calls on Trace. He takes the case against his better judgment. He has a weakness for redheads and he senses that this one isn't being completely honest with him.

Both Maggie and Trace had their issues. Trace has a bad marriage, to a redhead, in his past. In spite of that, he still has a weakness for a re
Viviane Crystal
Maggie O'Connell is sitting in a bar when she sees a wild conflict break out between a young famous rock singer and his wife and her lawyer, the spark being the fact his wife wants a divorce. A young, sexy-looking, powerful guy breaks in and manages to take out the singer and his companions. Maggie tries to take pictures but the guy takes away her camera and erases the photos. She's annoyed but drawn to this guy who brooks no disagreement. Her friend reminds Maggie of her own present problem and ...more
Viohlet
Shay Williams
I just want to get this out of the way and then I will go onto the actual review. I totally disagree that any women's only protection against trouble is a man. They are wonderful and I would hate to live without men but they are never the only solution or protection. Okay now I have that off my chest.

I think that I am in love. No not with the hero Trace but with all the characters in this book. And it's not that they are all that nice. Some are definitely not that. It's more that they so are so
Rhonda

4 STARS
It was a great mystery,romance novel that I enjoyed reading. Would not mind reading any more of her books.
Maggie is a Photographer and is making a name for herself. While she was at lunch with a friend a celebrity couple was meeting with their lawyers,band members and a bodyguard to keep the peace. But the husband was abuser and he was mad and started to reach for his wife and bodyguard stopped him and also took one other band member out. Maggie had her camera and started taking pictures
Guilty Pleasures
KcLu's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

4.75 Stars

Against the Storm is the fourth book in the Raines of Wind Canyon series by Kat Martin. This is the story of Devlin Raines’s friend Trace Rawlings. They served in the Army Rangers together and although the Raines brothers are not in this book they are mentioned quite often.

Trace Rawlings has a weakness for redheads, and the one that has walked into his life now just might be the one to break him. His new client Maggie O’Connell has come to him fo
Dannielle
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. Maggie wasn't quite as independent as the females in the previous books. She did manage to assert her independence but not at the cost of her safety. Trace was great, and sexy of course! Who doesn't love an ex-Ranger cowboy?! I didn't spoil things for myself so I had no idea who Maggie's stalker was. I had a guess, but was completely wrong, so that was refreshing.

I loved the side plot of her sister, Ashley. I'm glad that things worked out so well betwe
Tracy
~* 3.5 Stars *~
Forecast Calls for Sizzling Squalls of Suspense

Photographer Maggie O'Connell is in trouble. Someone has been stalking her, calling and hanging up, leaving her notes. It's gone beyond creepy to terrifying. She went to the police, but her reputation is still tainted by a horrible mistake she made as a teenager. They neither believe her nor are keen to help her.

When the stalker leaves a new message on her car right outside her new condo, Maggie realizes she can't rely on the police.
A Tasty Read Book Reviews
Reviewed on http://atastyread.blogspot.com

Trace Rawlins has a thing for feisty red heads, but they all seem to have one thing in common...They can't be trusted, and Maggie O'Connell seems to be no different. Even if he does feel things he shouldn't be feeling every time she comes around. Maggie is being stalked. Notes on her car, hang up phone calls, but the police don't care. All they care about is a past mistake that makes her untrustworthy. Maggie need Trace's help, but can he put aside his p
Donna
Bookie | The BookChick
Book Description::

Taylor Michaels
Against the Storm (The Raines of Wind Canyon) is the fourth book in Kat Martin's series.

The story centers on Maggie O'Connell, a successful and well-known photographer living in Houston, TX who is being stalked. At the beginning of the story, her stalker has left messages on her answering machine, and notes on her car’s windshield. Certainly creepy and unnerving but when things pick up steam. Maggie decides to take action.

Although she did report the incident to the Houston police department, li
Judith
Gershwin commented in "Porgy & Bess:" 'A redheaded woman makes a choo-choo jump its tracks.' The heroine in this story may not initially have exhibited such verve, but all in all, that's the effect she had on hero Trace Rawlins, a man who loves redheaded women above all others but who has been hurt, blindsided, conned, etc. by one in particular--his ex-wife. Now he has encountered a professional photographer of considerable fame, and while she may have begun as a client of his security firm, ...more
Henrietta H
I don't normally read Kat Martin's series novels, although I love her work. It seems I usually just read one book out of a series and I'm fine. Because she can incorporate stand-alones in her series work, I enjoy a good book and story and move on. Not this time! After reading Against the Storm, book #4 in her The Raines of Wind Canyon series, I am determined to read more of this particular series!

This book is a perfect stand-alone, Kat Martin does excellent work in telling any story she decides
Sian
This was a first for me for this author and one of her contemporary romances. I have only read her historical ones in the past.
I also didn't realise that this book was the middle of a series. One of the things I enjoyed about it though is that you don't have to read the previous books as this one can be read as a stand alone.

I really liked Maggie and Trace as characters and I thought they made a great couple.
Could definately feel the chemistry between them and I love when an author can make you
Kimba
Against the Storm is the fourth installment in the Raines of Wild Canyon series by Kat Martin. Fear not, each book can be read as a standalone. In each tale Martin gives us a suspenseful situation, a female in distress and a sexy cowboy to help save the day.

Maggie O’Connell is a strong, successful photographer. Recently, she has been finding little notes on her car and they are beginning to scare her Encouraged by her friend she goes to the police. A youthful mistake makes the police department
Becky
A solid addition to the Raines of Wind Canyon books, Against the Storm was an enjoyable read but not my favorite in the series. It had all the elements of the first three--strong alpha hero, a heroine who is in distress yet not helpless, an intriguing mystery to solve and a developing relationship--yet it just didn't pack the same punch as the first three. The main reason, I think, is in the hero and heroine themselves. Trace has a weakness for redheads and a disasterous marriage that has caused ...more
  • In Close (Bulletproof, #3)
  • The Heart of a Killer (The Killer, #1)
  • The Man from Gossamer Ridge  (Cooper, #6)
  • A Vampire for Christmas (Includes: Sweetblood, #2.5)
  • Deep in the Heart
  • A Vampire's Salvation (Vampire, #4)
  • Holiday Hideout
  • Trace of Fever (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #2)
  • Pride & Passion (The Brethren Guardians, #2)
  • A Midsummer Night's Sin (Blackthorn Brothers #2)
  • Sweet Justice (Last Chance Rescue, #7)
  • Under Fire (Elite Force, #3)
  • Promises in the Dark (Shadow Force, #2)
  • Yours 2 Keep
  • The Duke Diaries (Royal Entourage, #3)
  • Vortex (Cutter Cay, #3)
  • Betrayal (Bella Terra Deception, #3)
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
Kathleen Kelly Martin (aka Kathy Lawrence, Kasey Mars)

Kathleen Kelly was born on 14 July 1947 in the Central Valley of California, USA. She obtained a degree in Anthropology and also studied History at the University of California in Santa Barbara. She was a real estate broker, when she met her future husband, Larry Jay Martin. A short time after the two became acquainted, Larry asked her to read
More about Kat Martin...

Against aka Raines of Wind Canyon (9 books)
  • Against the Wind (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #1)
  • Against the Fire (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #2)
  • Against the Law (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #3)
  • Against the Night (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #5)
  • Against the Sun (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #6)
  • Against the Odds (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #7)
  • Against the Edge (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #8)
  • Against the Mark (The Raines of Wind Canyon #9)
Against the Wind (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #1) Against the Law (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #3) The Bride's Necklace (Necklace Trilogy #1) Against the Fire (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #2) Against the Night (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #5)