Start by marking “Against the Storm (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #4)” as Want to Read:
Against the Storm (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #4)

Against the Storm (Against Series / Raines of Wind Canyon #4)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  2,459 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
Some women find trouble wherever they go. And some men are their only protection against it.

Redheads like Maggie O'Connell are nothing but trouble. But Trace Rawlins, a former army ranger turned private investigator, takes the case anyway. After all, he knows a thing or two about women.

Trace can sense that something is wrong--Maggie isn't telling him everything. If these m
Published October 25th 2011 by Mira (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Storm

Jess
Oct 02, 2011 Jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for_review
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog Rating: 2.5/5 stars

Maggie’s pulse roared. Her breathing quickened and damp heat poured through her. Trace kept kissing her, soft moist kisses that made her toes curl inside her sneakers and need tighten like a fist in her belly. The kiss deepened, turned erotic. A soft moan escaped. He tasted like heaven. Like cinnamon and coffee and hot, sexy male.

Maggie is being stalked, but can’t turn to the local police to help. After falsely accusing a high sch
Ruth
I really wanted to like this one, provided by netgalley. I really, really did want to like it, but only because it took me so long to read it, unfortunately.

There were some portions of the book which really were quite good, particularly focused when the plot starts to shift into gear and progress. Those sections moved and were written with urgency and clarity. Unfortunately, there just weren't enough of these great sections to make it an enjoyable read.

I won't go into gory detail on all the thin
Barbara Ann
Against the Storm (The Raines of Wind Canyon) is the fourth book in Kat Martin’s series. However, it can be read as a stand-alone. The story centers on Maggie O’Connell, a well-known photographer in Houston, TX. Recently, she has become the target of a stalker who leaves messages on her answering machine and car windshield, promising they will be together soon.
She’s gone to the local police for help, but, because of a false accusation she made to police while in high school, they are reluctant t
Pheonix Fanfiction
These are my thoughts while reading:

0.0% I wasnt too sure what to read next Ive read seven amazing books in a row (the burg series and Temptation series) so I have a MASSIVE book hangover! But Im going to start this tomorrow - I loved the first three books and am in the mood for some romantic suspense :) I just hope I can rate this fairly and not compare it to the books Ive just read! :)

Finally starting this now! Been watching Bones all day instead haha but Im going to read this for a couple hou
jenjn79
I wasn't sure I was going to read this second "Raines" trilogy since the first one was only so-so for me. But there haven't been many new books out that have peaked my interest so I thought I'd give it a try. And I'm glad I did. I enjoyed this book quite a bit.

Series Note:
This is the fourth book in the "Raines of Wind Canyon" series, which is a low-key romantic suspense series about some sexy Alphas mostly in the security business helping some women in need. This book is the first book in the se
Mary Gramlich
Oct 29, 2011 Mary Gramlich rated it it was amazing
AGAINST THE STORM by Kat Martin
Book #4 in the Raines of Wind Canyon Series
10/11 – Mira - Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages

Why is it that the one thing you want the most is the last thing you should have?

Maggie O’Connell is a well respected professional photographer with a great life, a future of success, and numerous professional accolades. Her philanthropic deeds have made her well respected in Houston which is one of the many reasons she is questioning why someone appears to be stalking her. Ma
Charline Ratcliff
Jun 19, 2012 Charline Ratcliff rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I agreed to review “Against the Storm” by author Kat Martin but...I certainly didn’t expect to read a romance novel that was as fast-paced, compelling and interesting as one of today’s well-written action / adventure novels. After finishing my copy of “Against the Storm” I can completely understand why Kat Martin is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author.

The premise of “Against the Storm” is this: Maggie O’Connell is a beautiful and extremely talented
Deborah (LoveToReadRomance)
Jan 18, 2012 Deborah (LoveToReadRomance) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, reviewed
Trace can sense that something is wrong—Maggie isn't telling him everything. If these menacing calls and messages are real, why won't the police help her? And if they aren't real, what is she hiding?
As Trace digs deeper to find the source of Maggie's threats, he discovers a secret that no one was meant t
Kerry  sullivan
I love Kat Martin's books they drag you in quickly and keep you hooked with a mixture of suspenseful drama and hot love story and neither element give in easy so you are kept guessing. What i liked most was  how much the characters got under my skin. i was blown away by Ash and Robbie, in fact by the little family as a whole, best of all half way through I still didn't know who the stalker was. The stalker reveal was great and I loved the end I will be reading the next one and I am hoping for a ...more
Maureen Hubley
Aug 30, 2013 Maureen Hubley rated it it was amazing
I was able to find all the missing books in the series and plan on doing some reading this long weekend. Up next is Against the Night.
Tracy
Dec 30, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~* 3.5 Stars *~
Forecast Calls for Sizzling Squalls of Suspense

Photographer Maggie O'Connell is in trouble. Someone has been stalking her, calling and hanging up, leaving her notes. It's gone beyond creepy to terrifying. She went to the police, but her reputation is still tainted by a horrible mistake she made as a teenager. They neither believe her nor are keen to help her.

When the stalker leaves a new message on her car right outside her new condo, Maggie realizes she can't rely on the police.
Susan
Oct 22, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Good book that kept me intrigued from the beginning. Maggie has been getting creepy notes and calls, but the police are no help at all. When a friend suggests she hire a private investigator, she calls on Trace. He takes the case against his better judgment. He has a weakness for redheads and he senses that this one isn't being completely honest with him.

Both Maggie and Trace had their issues. Trace has a bad marriage, to a redhead, in his past. In spite of that, he still has a weakness for a re
Taylor Michaels
Against the Storm (The Raines of Wind Canyon) is the fourth book in Kat Martin's series.

The story centers on Maggie O'Connell, a successful and well-known photographer living in Houston, TX who is being stalked. At the beginning of the story, her stalker has left messages on her answering machine, and notes on her car’s windshield. Certainly creepy and unnerving but when things pick up steam. Maggie decides to take action.

Although she did report the incident to the Houston police department, li
Rhonda
Oct 03, 2011 Rhonda rated it really liked it

4 STARS
It was a great mystery,romance novel that I enjoyed reading. Would not mind reading any more of her books.
Maggie is a Photographer and is making a name for herself. While she was at lunch with a friend a celebrity couple was meeting with their lawyers,band members and a bodyguard to keep the peace. But the husband was abuser and he was mad and started to reach for his wife and bodyguard stopped him and also took one other band member out. Maggie had her camera and started taking pictures
The BookChick
Dec 23, 2011 The BookChick rated it really liked it
Book Description::

Viviane Crystal
Oct 20, 2011 Viviane Crystal rated it really liked it
Maggie O'Connell is sitting in a bar when she sees a wild conflict break out between a young famous rock singer and his wife and her lawyer, the spark being the fact his wife wants a divorce. A young, sexy-looking, powerful guy breaks in and manages to take out the singer and his companions. Maggie tries to take pictures but the guy takes away her camera and erases the photos. She's annoyed but drawn to this guy who brooks no disagreement. Her friend reminds Maggie of her own present problem and ...more
Becky
Oct 25, 2011 Becky rated it liked it
A solid addition to the Raines of Wind Canyon books, Against the Storm was an enjoyable read but not my favorite in the series. It had all the elements of the first three--strong alpha hero, a heroine who is in distress yet not helpless, an intriguing mystery to solve and a developing relationship--yet it just didn't pack the same punch as the first three. The main reason, I think, is in the hero and heroine themselves. Trace has a weakness for redheads and a disasterous marriage that has caused ...more
Sian
Aug 26, 2011 Sian rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
This was a first for me for this author and one of her contemporary romances. I have only read her historical ones in the past.
I also didn't realise that this book was the middle of a series. One of the things I enjoyed about it though is that you don't have to read the previous books as this one can be read as a stand alone.

I really liked Maggie and Trace as characters and I thought they made a great couple.
Could definately feel the chemistry between them and I love when an author can make you
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
KcLu's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

4.75 Stars

Against the Storm is the fourth book in the Raines of Wind Canyon series by Kat Martin. This is the story of Devlin Raines’s friend Trace Rawlings. They served in the Army Rangers together and although the Raines brothers are not in this book they are mentioned quite often.

Trace Rawlings has a weakness for redheads, and the one that has walked into his life now just might be the one to break him. His new client Maggie O’Connell has come to him fo
Judith
Mar 26, 2012 Judith rated it really liked it
Gershwin commented in "Porgy & Bess:" 'A redheaded woman makes a choo-choo jump its tracks.' The heroine in this story may not initially have exhibited such verve, but all in all, that's the effect she had on hero Trace Rawlins, a man who loves redheaded women above all others but who has been hurt, blindsided, conned, etc. by one in particular--his ex-wife. Now he has encountered a professional photographer of considerable fame, and while she may have begun as a client of his security firm, ...more
Donna
Sep 05, 2011 Donna rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
A Tasty Read Book Reviews
Reviewed on http://atastyread.blogspot.com

Trace Rawlins has a thing for feisty red heads, but they all seem to have one thing in common...They can't be trusted, and Maggie O'Connell seems to be no different. Even if he does feel things he shouldn't be feeling every time she comes around. Maggie is being stalked. Notes on her car, hang up phone calls, but the police don't care. All they care about is a past mistake that makes her untrustworthy. Maggie need Trace's help, but can he put aside his p
Shay Williams
Aug 24, 2012 Shay Williams rated it it was amazing
I just want to get this out of the way and then I will go onto the actual review. I totally disagree that any women's only protection against trouble is a man. They are wonderful and I would hate to live without men but they are never the only solution or protection. Okay now I have that off my chest.

I think that I am in love. No not with the hero Trace but with all the characters in this book. And it's not that they are all that nice. Some are definitely not that. It's more that they so are so
Kimberly
Oct 13, 2011 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Against the Storm is the fourth installment in the Raines of Wild Canyon series by Kat Martin. Fear not, each book can be read as a standalone. In each tale Martin gives us a suspenseful situation, a female in distress and a sexy cowboy to help save the day.

Maggie O’Connell is a strong, successful photographer. Recently, she has been finding little notes on her car and they are beginning to scare her Encouraged by her friend she goes to the police. A youthful mistake makes the police department
Sammie
Mar 13, 2016 Sammie rated it really liked it
It was pretty good ,the plot was good and i loved getting to see more of Trace .

Trace is awesome ,i totally fell in love with him ,he's such a great character and i really liked reading about him,it was great to see how he works and i liked the fact that he was willing to help maggie ,i totally understand why he was upset with her when she didn't tell him the truth ,i liked them together and i was happy that he found someone to be spend him life with.

I didn't mind Maggie but there were times whe
Henrietta H
May 10, 2012 Henrietta H rated it really liked it
I don't normally read Kat Martin's series novels, although I love her work. It seems I usually just read one book out of a series and I'm fine. Because she can incorporate stand-alones in her series work, I enjoy a good book and story and move on. Not this time! After reading Against the Storm, book #4 in her The Raines of Wind Canyon series, I am determined to read more of this particular series!

This book is a perfect stand-alone, Kat Martin does excellent work in telling any story she decides
Kim
Aug 02, 2016 Kim rated it it was amazing
OMG what an absolutely amazing book. This book was a page turning romantic suspense by New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Kat Martin. This is the fourth book in the The Raines Of Wind Canyon series. Another great book in this series. I could not put the book down until the end. Some Women Find trouble where ever they go. And some men are their only protection against it. Redheads like Maggie O'Connell are nothing but trouble. But Trace Rawlins, a former army ranger turned private in ...more
Darla Stokes
Apr 19, 2014 Darla Stokes rated it liked it
I nearly put this book down after the first chapter. The heroine is "foxy"? The hero "has a thing for redheads" (which, of course, the heroine is). There's a lot of name-dropping of what I assume are characters in other books by the same author. There are a lot of cliches and random unnecessary details that don't go anywhere.

Fortunately, by the second half of the book, the mystery picks up--discovering who's stalking the heroine--and either the writing smoothed out, or the plot was engaging eno
Julie Barrett
Feb 05, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
Against the Storm by Kat Martin
Maggie had a man take her camera away from her. She had photographed a woman leaving her lawyers office. She was a celebrity.
Maggie now needs his help-Trace Rollins, he used to be in the service and now runs a security office.
She has been threatened with the notes left on her car.
He is highly attracted to her and he should turn it over to another associate...
She agrees to tell her all about her past so he can find whoever it is that is threatening her..
Someone has
Dannielle
Sep 26, 2011 Dannielle rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. Maggie wasn't quite as independent as the females in the previous books. She did manage to assert her independence but not at the cost of her safety. Trace was great, and sexy of course! Who doesn't love an ex-Ranger cowboy?! I didn't spoil things for myself so I had no idea who Maggie's stalker was. I had a guess, but was completely wrong, so that was refreshing.

I loved the side plot of her sister, Ashley. I'm glad that things worked out so well betwe
Romance Novel Boo...: SOLVED-Trying to track down... 9 36 Jun 01, 2016 11:30AM
  • In Close (Bulletproof, #3)
  • The Heart of a Killer (The Killer, #1)
  • A Vampire's Salvation (Vampire, #4)
  • A Midsummer Night's Sin (Blackthorn Brothers #2)
  • The Man from Gossamer Ridge  (Cooper, #6)
  • A Vampire for Christmas (Includes: Sweetblood, #2.5)
  • Holiday Hideout
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
  • Revenge at Bella Terra (Scarlet Deception #2)
  • Deep in the Heart
  • Yours 2 Keep
  • Sweet Reward (Last Chance Rescue, #9)
  • Trace of Fever (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #2)
  • Night Moves (Shadow Force, #4)
  • Vortex (Cutter Cay, #3)
  • Hide from Evil (Dead Wrong, #2)
  • Last Man Standing (Black Ops Inc., #7)
  • The Creed Legacy (Montana Creeds, #7)
Kathleen Kelly Martin (aka Kathy Lawrence, Kasey Mars)

Kathleen Kelly was born on 14 July 1947 in the Central Valley of California, USA. She obtained a degree in Anthropology and also studied History at the University of California in Santa Barbara. She was a real estate broker, when she met her future husband, Larry Jay Martin. A short time after the two became acquainted, Larry asked her to read
More about Kat Martin...

Against Series / Raines of Wind Canyon (9 books)
  • Against the Wind (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #1)
  • Against the Fire (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #2)
  • Against the Law (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #3)
  • Against the Night (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #5)
  • Against the Sun (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #6)
  • Against the Odds (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #7)
  • Against the Edge (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #8)
  • Against the Mark (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #9)