Start by marking “The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)

The Black Raven (Deverry #10)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,632 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The Dragon Mage: Black Raven Bk. 2 Book ten of the celebrated Deverry series, an epic fantasy rooted in Celtic mythology that intricately interweaves human and elven history over several hundred years. Full description
Published 2000 by Voyager (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Raven

Amanda
Feb 10, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Dragon Mage sequence from Katharine Kerr. Once again, we spend the majority of the book in the past, exploring Lillorigga's burgeoning dweomer power and her relationship to the various souls who she is destined to encounter again when she becomes Niffa in the future. At the moment it is fairly confusing trying to keep straight who is who in both the past and the current incarnations. The only person who I can really keep straight is Maddyn the bard (in the past) becoming R ...more
Benjamin Thomas
Nov 26, 2015 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-epic
The 10th book in the Deverry series and the second novel in “The Dragon Mage” sequence is yet another high quality entry in this long set of epic fantasy novels. As in the previous novel (and I suspect perhaps may also be the case with all of the Dragon Mage sequence) this book is split into two separate timeframes. The majority of the novel occurs in the past and takes place in Dun Deverry near the end of the great civil war. It features one of my favorite characters in the entire series, Lillo ...more
Jesslyn
I'm not enjoying this group as much as the previous one. Lilli is a bit mushy and Prince Merryn doesn't seem very likable.
Andrea
Jun 15, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely enjoyed this more than the first, probably because the kindle version was better structured this time so it was easier to transition- and the transitions weren't so frequent or sudden, and I already knew some of the characters and her style, and so I expected the time leaps and reincarnation idea... Intrigued enough to read the next but the wrap-up and 'point to it all' will have to be pretty great to get me to read the next 'act' (few books) in the larger series. Good book for a fe ...more
Mark
Apr 15, 2010 Mark rated it liked it
It has been 16 years since I first picked up the first Deverry novel, DaggerSpell, and here in am, 16 years later, about to finish the fifteenth and final one.

Has the journey been worth it? Yes. Was the wait too long? Yes.

I would not recommend anyone starts reading the Deverry cycle unless they intend to read them all, as the macroscopic story is at least as important as the microscopic ones, and as such I am reviewing the books as a set.

I almost give them 4 stars (excellent) but in the end I am
Fantasy Literature
The Black Raven is the second book in the DRAGON MAGE sequence of DEVERRY from Katharine Kerr. Once again, we spend the majority of the book in the past, exploring Lillorigga's burgeoning dweomer power and her relationship to the various souls she is destined to encounter again when she becomes Niffa in the future. At the moment, it is fairly confusing trying to keep straight who is who in both the past and the current incarnations. The only person who I can really keep straight is Maddyn the ba ...more
Angela
Jan 07, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The epic story continues. In this volume, Evander finally does what he promised. Salamandar is going mad. The flashback goes back to Nevyn and his putting Meryn in the throne. The war is nearly over, and the prince does not like being told no by a woman. A really good read, and a great turn pager. Though you do need to have read the others in the series to appreciate it.
Twentwor
May 11, 2015 Twentwor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, Katherine Kerr does an amazing job with her political intrigue, and her tale that spans several centuries, weaving together the present, the past and the future.
Broodingferret
Jan 01, 2012 Broodingferret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A decent mid-piece for "scene three". Kerr establishes an entertaining, though none too complex, level of interpersonal interaction between the characters and continues to give them a fairly believable depth, though she does tend to slip on small details, like remembering what color a characters eyes were in the last novel. She also has the irritating tendency to restate things that have already been well-established in previous books, but that's par for the course in fantasy. Not great literatu ...more
Tatiana
The story of the Dragon Mage cycle continues to unfold in this second installment (but Book 10 in the whole Deverry series)that easily grasps the reader's attention. Threats of war, an evil witch holding an old grudge againt Rhodry and traditional flashbacks still deepening the story create an exciting story that despite what you could think doesn't get redundant at all but gives a feeling of moving towards the completion of the big story behind the various plots.
Again a very good novel!
Vohumanu
Aug 02, 2008 Vohumanu rated it liked it
It seems that the first half of the book is building up to an event and the second half is detailing the consequences of that event. However the event seems a very, very minor thing. I was wishing that I could be getting updates of the other storylines much more regularly than just a little at the start and finish of the book...
Shella
Apr 16, 2011 Shella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults, fantasy fans
this is a adventurous book, it takes you to many places, in my chapter that i am reading right now, Dera and Niffa are finding a way to make the evil spirits from bothering them, Niffa's husband was murdered by one of this spirits, and Niffa thinks she should avenge his death...
Katherine
Oct 30, 2009 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deverry Fans
Shelves: fantasy, dragons, 2009
Another one I had a hard time putting down. I really like the political machinations and intrigues going on in this series, not surprising that it is a contemporary to the first of George RR Martin's books.
Robin
Jun 30, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I admit it. I am totally hooked on the whole series. Some of the books are better than others but still... they all get a 5 star rating from me.
Cris Holdorph
Feb 20, 2011 Cris Holdorph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book more then the previous one. Although it just continues the story lines and doesn't really 'complete' any of them.
Jenniffer
Didn't read the first book which is probably why I was a little confused this one.
Megan
Jun 23, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My only dislike of this book is that there is not nearly enough Salamander!
Kalonji
Mar 13, 2010 Kalonji rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a reeaallyy great book
Pioden
Apr 24, 2007 Pioden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deverry Bk 10 (Dragon Mage 2)
Annie
Dec 19, 2014 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series!
Macha
May 26, 2012 Macha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars.
Michael McCormick
Michael McCormick marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
John Cusack
John Cusack marked it as to-read
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Jon
Jon rated it liked it
Lyndal Haylock
Lyndal Haylock rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Cathy Markham
Cathy Markham rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2)
  • The Children of Wrath (Renshai Chronicles, #3)
  • The Mageborn Traitor (Exiles, #2)
  • Warrior (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #2)
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • Lords of the Sky
  • Guardians of the Lost (Sovereign Stone, #2)
  • Pilgrim (Wayfarer Redemption, #5)
  • Sword of Flame (Artefacts of Power, #3)
  • Sword-Singer (Tiger and Del, #2)
  • The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)
  • Masters of Reality: The Gathering (The Ancient Future, #3)
  • Winter Warriors (The Drenai Saga, #8)
Born in Ohio, 1944. Moved to San Francisco Bay Area in 1962 and has lived there ever since. Katharine Kerr has read extensively in the fields of classical archeology, and medieval and dark ages history and literature, and these influences are clear in her work. Her epic Deverry series has won widespread praise and millions of fans around the world.
More about Katharine Kerr...

Deverry (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Daggerspell (Deverry, #1)
  • Darkspell (Deverry, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)
  • A Time of Omens (The Westlands, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
  • The Fire Dragon (Deverry, #11; Dragon Mage, #3)