Start by marking “The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)

The Black Raven (Deverry #10)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  2,343 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The Dragon Mage: Black Raven Bk. 2 Book ten of the celebrated Deverry series, an epic fantasy rooted in Celtic mythology that intricately interweaves human and elven history over several hundred years. Full description
Published 2000 by Voyager (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Raven

Amanda
The second book in the Dragon Mage sequence from Katharine Kerr. Once again, we spend the majority of the book in the past, exploring Lillorigga's burgeoning dweomer power and her relationship to the various souls who she is destined to encounter again when she becomes Niffa in the future. At the moment it is fairly confusing trying to keep straight who is who in both the past and the current incarnations. The only person who I can really keep straight is Maddyn the bard (in the past) becoming R ...more
Jesslyn
I'm not enjoying this group as much as the previous one. Lilli is a bit mushy and Prince Merryn doesn't seem very likable.
Mark
It has been 16 years since I first picked up the first Deverry novel, DaggerSpell, and here in am, 16 years later, about to finish the fifteenth and final one.

Has the journey been worth it? Yes. Was the wait too long? Yes.

I would not recommend anyone starts reading the Deverry cycle unless they intend to read them all, as the macroscopic story is at least as important as the microscopic ones, and as such I am reviewing the books as a set.

I almost give them 4 stars (excellent) but in the end I am
Fantasy Literature
The Black Raven is the second book in the DRAGON MAGE sequence of DEVERRY from Katharine Kerr. Once again, we spend the majority of the book in the past, exploring Lillorigga's burgeoning dweomer power and her relationship to the various souls she is destined to encounter again when she becomes Niffa in the future. At the moment, it is fairly confusing trying to keep straight who is who in both the past and the current incarnations. The only person who I can really keep straight is Maddyn the ba ...more
Twentwor
Again, Katherine Kerr does an amazing job with her political intrigue, and her tale that spans several centuries, weaving together the present, the past and the future.
Broodingferret
A decent mid-piece for "scene three". Kerr establishes an entertaining, though none too complex, level of interpersonal interaction between the characters and continues to give them a fairly believable depth, though she does tend to slip on small details, like remembering what color a characters eyes were in the last novel. She also has the irritating tendency to restate things that have already been well-established in previous books, but that's par for the course in fantasy. Not great literatu ...more
Tatiana
The story of the Dragon Mage cycle continues to unfold in this second installment (but Book 10 in the whole Deverry series)that easily grasps the reader's attention. Threats of war, an evil witch holding an old grudge againt Rhodry and traditional flashbacks still deepening the story create an exciting story that despite what you could think doesn't get redundant at all but gives a feeling of moving towards the completion of the big story behind the various plots.
Again a very good novel!
Vohumanu
It seems that the first half of the book is building up to an event and the second half is detailing the consequences of that event. However the event seems a very, very minor thing. I was wishing that I could be getting updates of the other storylines much more regularly than just a little at the start and finish of the book...
Shella
Apr 16, 2011 Shella rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults, fantasy fans
this is a adventurous book, it takes you to many places, in my chapter that i am reading right now, Dera and Niffa are finding a way to make the evil spirits from bothering them, Niffa's husband was murdered by one of this spirits, and Niffa thinks she should avenge his death...
Katherine
Oct 30, 2009 Katherine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deverry Fans
Shelves: fantasy, 2009, dragons
Another one I had a hard time putting down. I really like the political machinations and intrigues going on in this series, not surprising that it is a contemporary to the first of George RR Martin's books.
Robin
Okay, I admit it. I am totally hooked on the whole series. Some of the books are better than others but still... they all get a 5 star rating from me.
Cris Holdorph
I liked this book more then the previous one. Although it just continues the story lines and doesn't really 'complete' any of them.
Jenniffer
Didn't read the first book which is probably why I was a little confused this one.
Megan
My only dislike of this book is that there is not nearly enough Salamander!
Kalonji
This is a reeaallyy great book
Pioden
Deverry Bk 10 (Dragon Mage 2)
Annie
Reece
Reece added it
Aug 28, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • The Children of Wrath (Renshai Chronicles, #3)
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #3)
  • Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2)
  • Journey Into the Void (Sovereign Stone, #3)
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • The Mageborn Traitor (Exiles, #2)
  • Dhiammara (Artefacts of Power, #4)
  • Darkwitch Rising (The Troy Game, #3)
  • The Fathomless Caves (The Witches of Eileanan, #6)
  • Dragoncharm (The Ultimate Dragon Saga, #1)
  • Krondor: The Assassins (The Riftwar Legacy, #2)
  • Lords of the Sky
Born in Ohio, 1944. Moved to San Francisco Bay Area in 1962 and has lived there ever since. Katharine Kerr has read extensively in the fields of classical archeology, and medieval and dark ages history and literature, and these influences are clear in her work. Her epic Deverry series has won widespread praise and millions of fans around the world.
More about Katharine Kerr...

Deverry (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Daggerspell (Deverry, #1)
  • Darkspell (Deverry, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)
  • A Time of Omens (The Westlands, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
  • The Fire Dragon (Deverry, #11; Dragon Mage, #3)
Daggerspell (Deverry, #1) Darkspell (Deverry, #2) A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1) The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4) The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)