Start by marking “Master and Man” as Want to Read:
Master and Man

Master and Man

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,957 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
A short story from the Classic Shorts collection: Family Happiness by Leo Tolstoy
Published April 28th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1895)

To ask other readers questions about Master and Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master and Man

Gautam
The very meaning of life is sometimes learned through unexpected events or turmoils that may happen at-least once in our lives. My grandfather once told me :" You realize that the things you deem important would prove otherwise at one stage of your life".This is a complicated thought that you may only experience in due time and may not comprehend it wholly before that particular time frame. I still don't get it though I feel it is true.

Leo Tolstoy's 'Master and Man' is the story of a man who con

Fahad
Dec 14, 2011 Fahad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
السيد والخادم

أتهيب القراءة للأدباء الروس، يردعني عنهم طول مؤلفاتهم والبؤس الذي يسكنها، لدي كتب لبوشكين وغوغول وتورجينيف، وأغلب كتب دستويفسكي وتولستوي وتشيخوف وغوركي وبولغاكوف وشولوخوف وسولجنتسين، ولكني نادرا ً ما أتشجع واقرأ لهم، في كل مرة أشعر بأني مقبل على مشروع ضخم، يحتاج إلى وقت وبال، وأنا بالكاد أجمعهما معا ً.

فلذا بدت لي هذه المجموعة القصصية لتولستوي حلا ً وسطا ً، 450 صفحة من قصص متنوعة، قصيرة أو طويلة، يمكنني أن أمضي فيها وقتا ً مع هذا العملاق الروسي، ربما لأشجع نفسي على قراءة حربه وسلام
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

Opening lines:
It happened in the 'seventies in winter, on the day after St. Nicholas's Day. There was a fete in the parish and the innkeeper, Vasili Andreevich Brekhunov, a Second Guild merchant, being a church elder had to go to church, and had also to entertain his relatives and friends at home.

5* War and Peace
4* Resurrection
3* A Letter to a Hindu
3* The Death of Ivan Il
Samadrita
My God! These Russians. I know this is perhaps an irreverent way of addressing Tolstoy, but I can't help but club him with the group of illustrious Russian writers that gave the world so much to treasure. Sometimes I wonder how every single one of them can be so damn bloody brilliant. Amazing and awe-inspiring. I have no words or at least I don't have words enough to describe the beauty of this work.
Perhaps it is an irony of the highest order that a country, which has been headed mostly by a gro
Andrea Ika
Apr 26, 2013 Andrea Ika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These three stories of Tolstoy's maturity show him increasingly grappling with fundamental issues of religion and morality. In "Master and Man", he depicts an employer, bent on closing a business deal, travelling with his servant through the swirling snow - little realizing how soon he may have to settle his accounts with his maker. "Father Sergius" portrays a priest tormented beyond endurance by the longings of his body, while "Hadji Murat" dramatizes the divided loyalties of a leading figure i ...more
Maria
Jul 29, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was my dearest insomnia that led me to my very first encounter with Leo Tolstoy. I must say the omniscient narrator in Master and Man is quite a skilled storyteller. I was chilled to the bone at some point. Peak of summer and I found myself reaching for a blanket. Power of suggestion? Perhaps an extremely gifted writer.

Vasili Andreevich and Nikita are two brilliant characters and there is so much growth for such a short little tale. The change doesn’t seem extravagant though, it just feels… r
Gisoo
Jun 26, 2015 Gisoo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
یک داستان که گمونم اگه در یک شب برفی زمستونی خونده بشه بیشتر به دل می شینه...چون این قدر خوب فضارو تعریفش می کنه که سرمای برف رو حس می کنی و نوک انگشتات سرد می شن.
Özgür Şahin
Dec 15, 2015 Özgür Şahin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Efendi ile Uşak" isimli uzun hikayesi ile "İki İhtiyar" ve "Mum" isimli iki kısa hikayesini içeren bu kitap, Tolstoy'un dünya görüşünün özeti mahiyetinde. Mutluluğun ve huzurun mütevazı ve inançlı bir yaşam biçimiyle yakalanabileceği fikri hikayelerdeki hakim düşünce. Aile birliğinin kıymetinin de altı çizilmiş. Ayrıca, 19. yüzyıl Rus köy hayatına dair güzel gözlemler de bulunabilir eserde.
Tory Anderson
Sep 13, 2015 Tory Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics
I have a weakness for Tolstoy and the realism he uses to write his novels. I added “and the realism” but I’m pretty sure if Tolstoy wasn’t involved the realism wouldn’t be nearly as attractive. I’ve read books by lesser authors who took great pains to give minute details, but in many of those books the details are dead-weight. The authors seem to be using the details to say “Look what I am doing. Aren’t I grand.”

In Tolstoy’s books the details thrill me. They breathe life into his worlds which th
Jason
May 26, 2015 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Wow what a story. I started reading this as I thought it was going to be similar to some of my favourite scenes in Anna Karenina, where Tolstoy wrote about the daily workings of the farm and the business deals that Levin made. But surprisingly it was nothing like that, this is more like the work of Jack London, surviving in harsh conditions.

In the story the master is desperate to make a deal to buy a piece of land and he needs to do this before anybody else can beat him to it, so he ventures out
Fatin
Jun 25, 2013 Fatin rated it liked it
Welcoming Tolstoy into my world. I'm not veryveryvery impressed, but the writing was beautiful and rich with symbolism. An onion, layers and layers can be peeled off.
I have a feeling, I'll keep thinking about this until I am veryveryvery impressed but at the moment, I'm not.

Here's a particular gem though:
"'Nikita's alive, which means I'm alive, too,'"
Lisa
Dec 05, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

"Master and Man" is a masterpiece of Tolstoy, which makes you shows that wealth and power are not important to have a fulfilled life. It was also the first book that made me shiver while reading it. :D

Tolstoy shows how simple it is to make people think about social values and norm. You only need two men who could hardly be more different than they are and a dead end situation.

On the one hand we have Nikita, the former alcoholic who lost everything he have due to gambling but changed his
Lavender Libya
May 08, 2015 Lavender Libya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب ااكثر من رائع وقصص قيمة ومفيدة ومليئة بالعبر كعادة ليو تولستوي
Vaughn
Nov 25, 2010 Vaughn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a superbly written account of three primary characters, the master, his servant, and the master’s horse. The master thinks that he superior to everyone else including his servant and his wife. He cheats everyone, thinking they don’t understand what he’s doing, but he only succeeds because he is the master, not because of his wit.

As the story unfolds, many elements of Tolstoy’s writings (man, society, and nature) are evident as the two men embark on what should be a simple business trip
Jochen
Jan 24, 2014 Jochen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ein perfekter Text, aus einem Land, in dem der Winter töten kann. Immer wieder beeindruckend, wie Tolstoi seine Überzeugungen in Geschichten übersetzen kann, die aber überhaupt nicht lehrstückhaft wirken (obwohl die Konstellation an Brechts "Die Ausnahme und die Regel" erinnert), weil er die Atmosphäre genau kennt und alles ganz natürlich abläuft. So daß man gar nicht zweifelt, ob es solche beispielhaften Menschen wirklich gibt. Es wirkt so, als sei das in Rußland eben so, als hätten einfache Kn ...more
Mohnish
Jan 10, 2014 Mohnish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a soft corner for Tolstoy because http://www.dailygood.org/story/632/si... he was not just a genius writer but had a lot of character as well. Whatever he wrote was not just an idea/moral that he wanted to be conveyed & grow in society but he implemented them in his life which takes a lot of strength (He even put hold writing Anna Karenina for a year, to help his fellow peasants during a famine) but yes, he was lucky to be born in an aristocratic Russian family, so he didn't have to c ...more
Yousef Nabil
Oct 29, 2015 Yousef Nabil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
قصة السيد والخادم قصة مذهلة في بساطتها وعمق الوصف والتجربة..تجربة صوفية حقيقية يصفها تالستوي ببراعة. اما القصص الأخرى فهي مباشرة مثل قصص تالتسوي في المرحلة الأخيرة..قد تكون مناسبة جدا لأنواع معينة من الناس..لا أعارض هذا النوع التعليمي من الأدب ولكن أعارض أن يكون هو النوع الوحيد.
هاشم السداوى
اول ما مسكت الكتاب كنت فاكره مفيهوش غير السيد والخادم بس
لكن اكتشفت انه عارة عن الجزء السابع عشر من الاعمال الكاملة لتولستوى
بجانب السيد والخادم هناك العديد من الاعمال الاخرى الرائعه للكاتب الكبير
كتاب يستحق القراءة
perihan
Jan 17, 2016 perihan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shahin Ghaeminejad
هگل هم کتابچه ای با همین نام دارد که در آن به شیوه ی خود از رضایت بیشتر بنده از زندگی نسبت به اربابش و خشنودی واقعی این بنده صحبت می کند و او را پیروز واقعی کارزار می داند.
تولستوی هم به همین تقابل می پردازد اما در کمال تعجب، شرایطی که تولستوی به توصیفش می پردازد بسیار پیچیده تر از آن است که هگل می بیند... یا حداقل دوست دارد که پیچیده تر بنظر برسد!

این کتاب «زمستانی» را در ظهر تابستانی خواندن هم سعادتی بود.

از کتاب:
...وقتی بیدارش کردند یقین داشت که مرده است...
Saoirse
Je crois que j'ai préféré Maître et serviteur à La mort d'Ivan Ilitch. Les descriptions sont parfaites, l'ambiance est vraiment restituée, on s'y croirait. J'avais peur, j'avais froid avec eux. Et je dois avouer avoir été surprise par la fin, je ne m'attendais pas à ça.

Review depuis cette édition :
Ross
Dec 21, 2011 Ross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, yo-russians
It was so nice to read something by LT that wasn't about Russian high society, Napolean, History, or war. It was also great to read something by him that was super short. This is the perfect War and Peace chaser, and I heartily recommend.

Also: always wear warm clothes if you're headed out into a blizzard in RUSSIA. Just saying.
Babak Habibi
یکی از آثار خوب کلاسیک روسی که در عین سادگی بیان و کوتاهی داستان به خوبی منظورش رو میرسونه.
اینکه دیدگاههای یه ارباب با بنده اش چقدر فرق داره و خواستههاشون از زندگی چیه و تو شرایط سخت این آدما به چه کسایی تبدیل میشن و نتیجشون چیه
مثل همیشه خوشحالم که وقتمو گذاشتم برایِ خوندن کتاب تولستوی :(
Mark Wilkerson
Aug 04, 2014 Mark Wilkerson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a story! This is a remarkably effective, yet simple tale, of two men, a businessman and his trusty assistant, who set off in the afternoon of a cold and bitter Russian day with a reliable horse in search of a town where a business meeting is to take place. They get lost, and a challenge for survival ensues. Read alongside Jack London's "To Build a Fire," and you will never see a pretty snowfall in the same way again.

If you are unfamiliar with the epic works of Tolstoy, this is as good an i
Carrie Anne
Aug 17, 2014 Carrie Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a story that includes freezing to death in a Russian blizzard is the most uplifiting in a book of short stories, you know you're reading Russian literature.
Deirdre Clare
Sep 30, 2008 Deirdre Clare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful observed and told, poignant, classic Tolstoy short story. Wish it could have gone on a lot longer.
Shervin Ghiami
Mar 30, 2015 Shervin Ghiami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8.5

It should come across as no surprise that one of the greatest atmospheres ever created should come from Leo Tolstoy. Master and Man details the existential crisis of Vasili Andreyitch as he slowly freezes to death in the frozen Steppes of Siberia. Tolstoy's solution includes a softened vilification of material goods.

Notably, the title is incredible fitting given the thematic content of this novella. Who is the master? Is it Vasili Andreyitch, or is it God? The literary equivalent of Zyganitse
Aalaa Omar
Feb 07, 2016 Aalaa Omar is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: أدب-روسى
اليوم أنهيت أول قصة من الكتاب , الذى اكتشفت انه عبارة عن جزء من الاعمال الكاملة ل تولستوى وليس فقط قصة السيد والخادم ..

الحقيقة أنى عادةً لا ألجأ الى كتابة رأيى عن الكتاب الا بعدما أنهيه, لا لشىء إلا أننى أُفضِّل التركيز ف ما أقرأه , حتى أنهيه , أو ينهينى .. ثم أحاول التعبير عما بداخلى من شعور بعد الانتهاء من هذا الذى كنت أقرأه , كى أتذكر لاحقا هذا الشعور وهذه الأيام..
المهم ,,
السيد والخادم ..

حقيقةً أنا كنت متحمسة جدا للقراءة لتولستوى , ظللت أفكر كثيرا بم أبتدئ له وأى من أعماله سيشجعنى أكثر و
Victoire
Dec 02, 2013 Victoire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So i had to read a book for my AP world History class and since i was stupid and procrastinated till the day before it was due i needed a short easy read. Which is pretty hard since classics are not the easiest literature to read and comprehend what is going on. My parents recommended this book to me, it was on the list of books and it was only around 73 pages on my classic free book app. Let me tell you I was blown away by this book! In a nut shell its about a master and his laborer in 1885 Rus ...more
  • The Squabble
  • Sofia Petrovna
  • Red Cavalry and Other Stories
  • Stories from a Siberian Village
  • Twenty-Six Men and a Girl and Other Stories
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider To ...more
More about Leo Tolstoy...

“Although Vasili Andreevich felt quite warm in his two fur coats, especially after struggling in the snow drift, a cold shiver ran down his back on realizing that he must really spend the night where they were.” 3 likes
“In the depths of his heart Vasili Andreevich knew that it could not yet be near morning, but he was growing more and more afraid, and wished both to get to know and yet to deceive himself.” 2 likes