The Death of an Irish Consul (Peter McGarr, #2)

The Death of an Irish Consul (Peter McGarr #2)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  6 reviews
It's a rare occurrence when Chief Inspector of Detectives Peter McGarr leaves the shores of his beloved Ireland -- but this time he has little choice. The blood of two prominent British subjects -- both former S.I.S. chiefs, both brutally murdered -- is staining Irish soil. And Sir Colin Cummings, the current head of Britain's elite secret service -- and potential third vi...more
Paperback
Published December 31st 2002 by Avon Books (first published November 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of an Irish Consul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of an Irish Consul

The Quiet American by Graham GreeneNorwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiThe English Patient by Michael OndaatjeThe French Lieutenant's Woman by John FowlesThe Greenlanders by Jane Smiley
Nationality
144th out of 158 books — 21 voters
The Ambassadors by Henry JamesWar and Peace by Leo TolstoyThe Honorary Consul by Graham GreeneDiplomacy by Henry KissingerA Separate Peace by John Knowles
Diplomacy in Book Titles
53rd out of 80 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
Another interesting murder mystery featuring the Irish Chief Inspector Peter McGarr. Written in the late 70's, this character and his chums give the reader a good insight into the mindset of the Irish. There are many more in the series and will I will probably pick up and read a few more of them here and there.

This one starts out in Ireland with the execution-style slayings of two important British oil company executives in Ireland. From there it moves to England, then off to Italy where most of...more
Ann
Chief Inspector Peter McGarr has traveled to Italy. He is investigating the deaths of two men who were appointed prime ministers of Italy but were both found murdered. McGarr has come in order to look for the murderer but to also try and prevent the next prime minister from being assassinated. This is a good series and the plot has a lot of twists and turns.
Carole
Another jaunt with the ex-Interpol detective and his crew, includes many delicious meals and McGarr's descriptions of them.
Pamela Seward
I like the Irish detective main character and the Irish settings-Dublin mostly but also small towns in Northern Ireland. I have read a later story from the series and am enjoying reading them in order.A good police procedural/murder mystery with an Irish charm.
C.S.
I like the writing a lot. I just wasn't as big of a fan of the mystery. Someone told me they get better as the series goes on. So I will stick it out a little longer.
Zadrarose
Zadrarose marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Timbo
Timbo marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
NE
NE added it
Jun 27, 2014
Craig Mccall
Craig Mccall marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Debbie Karimullah
Debbie Karimullah marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Jvtr13
Jvtr13 marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Susan E. Neill
Susan E. Neill marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Kim Jackson
Kim Jackson marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bartholomew Gill is the pen name of Mark McGarrity.

Mr. McGarrity was born in Holyoke, Mass., and graduated from Brown University in 1966. He studied for his master's degree at Trinity College, Dublin, and never tired of mining the country for material.

''One of the things they gave me,'' he once said of his books, ''is a chance to go back to Ireland time and time again to do research.''

He was also...more
More about Bartholomew Gill...
The Death of a Joyce Scholar (Peter McGarr, #8) The Death of an Irish Tinker (Peter McGarr, #13) Death in Dublin (Peter McGarr, #16) The Death of an Irish Politician (Peter McGarr, #1) The Death of an Irish Sea Wolf (Peter McGarr, #12)