Start by marking “Hidden in the Heart (Kansas Connections, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hidden in the Heart (Kansas Connections, #2)

Hidden in the Heart (Kansas Connections #2)

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  219 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Cathee is an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She has suffered from severe post traumatic stress disorder for several years. During a vacation with her four year old daughter to Topeka, Kansas, she meets Garrett, a widowed therapist. He hopes Cathee will let him help her work through her issues, but her past has come back to haunt her.
Published April 9th 2011 by Createspace (first published January 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden in the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden in the Heart

Julie
Aug 05, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
This is a sweet story about a woman who was traumatized in her past and tries to handle things on her own. Her parents are dead, and she’s alienated any relatives she has, but while on vacation with her daughter, she meets Garrett, a man with a big heart, but who has also been wounded. This story is about the struggle to put back together a life so that life can be shared with someone else. I enjoyed the story, but especially the relationship between the main character, Cathee, and her daughter. ...more
M. Myers
Feb 06, 2012 M. Myers rated it liked it
This was fun, a light, sweet romance such as I hadn’t read in many a moon. Within that framework author Roseanne Evans Wilkins tackles the sensitive issue of a single woman raising the child resulting from her brutal date rape. Her portrayal of the mother-daughter relationship is charming, and the child’s endless questions will bring smiles of recognition.

Romance fans will enjoy the determination with which hero Garrett breaks through the walls Cathee has built around herself. If things develop
Nancy
Feb 15, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To the LDS group
I was reading a couple of more complicated books, and I just couldn't concentrate on either of them. I have been sick over a week, so this was a nice sweet story to read. I'm only giving it three stars, because it's not the greatest book, and yet it held my interest. The single mom in this story plans a weedks vacation with her almsot five year old daughter. I just spent time with my grandchildren, and raised three boys of our own. This little girl was just too good to be true. She was loving an ...more
Loraine scott
Dec 02, 2011 Loraine scott rated it really liked it
Hidden in the Heart by Rosanne Evans Wilkins tugs at your own strings right from the first page. Victims of evil need healing in very specific ways and Hidden can provide soem of those healing powers. Not all things that happen are in your control -- Hidden explores those raw emotions in a tender way and comes out triumphant. Even though the lives of those who are violated will never be the same, Cathee Laurenson builds a life of courage and faith. Though sometimes difficult to process the feeli ...more
Dean Oborn
Jul 08, 2015 Dean Oborn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it.

It had suspense and a love story combined. I felt it was descriptive and it kept my interest. I'm LDS and appreciated the the moral message.
Tamera Westhoff
May 24, 2012 Tamera Westhoff rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book. It starts off almost paranormal (I was worried about the guy being a werewolf or something) and quickly shifts to several years later. She just happens to be on vacation at the same place as a guy that is perfect for her and they spend the whole week together (with her daughter who was a product of a date rape) with her having Anxiety attacks, but he's a therapist and is able to talk her through them. Her daughter's father is coming after her to kill her. Crazy stuf ...more
Terri
Jan 13, 2016 Terri rated it it was ok
Super short mediocre romance/thriller. LDS authors really need to get better editors. The story plot was a good idea (a woman who was traumatized by a man as a teenager has to deal with trusting men as an adult as well as face the man she thought she'd left in the past), but the story just wasn't well done. There were too many details about stuff that doesn't matter (why do we need to know the exact titles and authors of the children's books in the police waiting room?) and too many abbreviation ...more
Joyce
Oct 12, 2011 Joyce rated it it was amazing
I won this book on a Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway.
I liked this book. It wasn't too preachy. Cathee had many challenges in her young life, but choose how she would react to thoses challenges. She was a strong character and role model for the one person in her life that she was most concerned about. She showed how a person can come to depend on other people if you will let them help you. Overall this is an easy book to read with a satisfing ending.
Cathy
Nov 25, 2011 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads-book
I won this book on a Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway. Definitely not what I am used to reading - it was interesting. I liked the characters and the storyline. The dialogue was ok between the adults, but just seemed a little advanced for the age of the daughter. This is definitely for LDS (mormon) readers because I don't think anyone else would be familiar with all of the religious terms/jargon. Was an ok read.
Nicole Grane
Aug 26, 2011 Nicole Grane rated it it was amazing
Wow! Roseanne spends a great deal of time setting each scene so the reader will feel as if they're right there beside the characters. Cathee and Garrett's love story is shadowed by a great tragedy. This romance turned thriller will surprise the reader and leave them white-knuckled along with Cathee as she flees from the horror of her past, through the sheeting rain, and right into the eye of a storm!
Scott Bryan
Aug 23, 2011 Scott Bryan rated it it was amazing
Hidden In The Heart is a powerful look at survivors. Cathee and Garrett both survived real ordeals. In this book we see them relearn to laugh and in her case, trust. It’s a lesson on surviving abuse, teen pregnancy and the loss of a loved one.
Roseanne Wilkins has crafted a wonderful example on how broken souls can learn to rebuild and find love again. And little Christina is cute.
Darlene
Aug 20, 2011 Darlene rated it liked it
This book is about good people who have been broken down troughout their lives. The question here is, can they overcome their past? Can they cast aside their trepidations, start picking up the pieces to these shattered lives so they can move on without the fear? Read Hidden in the Heart and find out.
Nellie
May 14, 2012 Nellie rated it liked it
Cathee is raped and pregnant. 5 Years later she takes her daughter on vacation only to meet a man who won't give up on breaking down her walls. Should she trust him? This was a cute book. Worth the read. I didn't LOVE it, but it was interesting, and clean.
Johanna
Feb 03, 2016 Johanna rated it did not like it
The reviews for this book on Amazon were deceiving. They all gave it great reviews. I couldn't finish it. I felt like banging my head on the table as I read. The plot line could be great and interesting, but she spends way too much time describing things that don't matter like the entire process of getting in the car and turning on the A/C and the entire tour of the capitol building. And it seems weird to me that she's a rape victim terrified of men yet she lets a strange man not only join them ...more
Michelle
Nov 01, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through goodreads. It was a cute book and I was able to relate to some of the things that Cathee was going through. It was the first book that I have read of Roseanne's. I would read more of her books.
Lisa Greer
Sep 12, 2011 Lisa Greer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cathee and Garrett's story is told with tenderness and realism. I like how Wilkins does not shy away from tough issues like rape and PTSD. If you're looking for a read full of hope that also has real values, pick this one up.
Marilyn Willis
Sep 04, 2012 Marilyn Willis rated it liked it
This is asn unusual LDS book. It's not the "normal" story line. I did enjoy reading about a girl who was able to to get an education while being a great single Mom. ?Ends very sweetly but it was an enjoyable read.
Betsy
Feb 12, 2013 Betsy rated it it was amazing
I have never been a romance fan but I read this book because a dear friend wrote it. Loved it.
It was a page turner wondering what would happen next and I really enjoyed the story.
Kaitlynne
Jul 23, 2011 Kaitlynne rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness, this was such an amazing book. I have to go out and find Tangled Hearts now.

**I won this book through Goodreads First Reads**
Kristina Franken
Sep 04, 2012 Kristina Franken rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book for anyone

FTC: I received a free copy of this book and was not reimbursed in any other way.
Alicia Rivoli
Dec 29, 2015 Alicia Rivoli rated it liked it
The story line of Hidden in the Heart was fantastic. When I started reading it, I was excited to keep on going. However as the pages kept turning, the storyline would come to a screeching halt for a history lesson on Kansas. The constant detours of Cathee's visits to museums and the State Capital took away from the story and made it hard to keep going. I was also disappointed at how quickly things ended with the protagonist as well. Great potential and I did enjoy it when it was staying on track ...more
Louise Van Der Leek
Good read, can be done from cover to cover. Love the author writing style.
Excellent!
Melanie Marks
Can't wait to read it! Tangled Hearts was awesome!
Emmy
Can you recover from tragic events in your life? Can you recover enough to allow love in your life again? This is the questions and issues that Cathee is working though after being rapped on a date.

This book begins very dramatically with a flash back to a night that Cathee was date rapped. It is written so you know what happened but is not graphic. I really appreciated that the author throughout the book was able to discuss such an difficult topic in a clean and respectful way. This opening sce
Laura Bastian
Nov 09, 2012 Laura Bastian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet and tender story. Something that makes you have hope for people out there who have suffered loss and tragedy. Cathee is a single mom, the result of a rape as a teen. She is very wary of men and has never had an interest in pursuing a relationship because of her experience. Garrett has suffered the death of his wife and is reluctant to open his heart again even though he knows as a counselor that it could be the best thing for him.
The two meet in a hotel where she is staying on
Hollie Robb
To tell the truth, I struggled to rate this story. It's total Chick-lit. The truth is I'm not really into those. I just read them because my mother recommend these type to books to me all the time. So I read them, so I have a hard time really likening them. It doesn't mean this story and others that I have rated in the past are bad at all. My rating on books, plays, whatever are my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

This book is easy reading, short, and fast. This fictional romanc
Tausha
Feb 11, 2015 Tausha rated it liked it
This one was just okay for me. I can't even pinpoint why right now. It definitely kept my interest, but something was missing. It was a quick read which I am grateful. The heroine was an amazing Mom and I empathized with her situation and what she'd been through. I can't even imagine how she felt, but she just was a little to wishy washy for me? Maybe that was on purpose? I guess I still am not sure why it didn't fit, but I doubt I will re read this one to find out. :)
Nicole
Dec 31, 2015 Nicole rated it it was ok
The book "Hidden in the Heart" has potential and an interesting story. If they had just cut out 25% of the book including detailed descriptions and used that space to put a little more depth into the relationship it could have been a good book. There were just too many detailed descriptions (like steps her daughter took to get dressed) that were totally unnecessary in furthering the story along. So there were times when the story was very slow.
Apzmarshl
May 18, 2015 Apzmarshl rated it liked it
This was a very quick read. Fairly fast paced romance. The girl is suffering from PTSD after being raped in her teen years. She meets a child therapist that deals in reactive attachment disorder in adopted and fostered children, while vacationing with her little girl.
As the two adults become closer, the rapist escapes custody and searches out his former victim.
Rebecca Dean
Apr 18, 2013 Rebecca Dean rated it did not like it
I'm so sorry this is only a one star book. Wilkins makes me so "tired" when I read her books. Every little detail is written out and each day is more of the same and I just can get through it. I know there is a story in there somewhere, but it takes forever with all the details of getting up, straightening the hair, eating (details of each meal went on forever) etc. etc. and then to wrap it up in a few pages, so UNSATISFACTORY for me the reader.

I ended up liking the "people" in the story, kind o
  • Abish Mother of Faith
  • Love Spell  (A Comedy of Love #2)
  • My Lucky Stars
  • Cayman Summer (Taken by Storm, #3)
  • Whisper Hollow
  • Ammon (Book of Mormon, #4)
  • Murder By The Way (Kennedy Killingsworth, #3)
  • Montana Summer
  • Obsession
  • Of Grace and Chocolate
  • The House at Rose Creek
  • Brianna, My Brother, and the Blog
  • Hang'em High (Secret Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • The Outer Edge of Heaven: A Love Story
  • Cold Justice
  • House on the Hill
  • Deadly Undertakings
I am the second oldest of 9 children. When I was 8, my family moved from the protective mountains of Salt Lake Valley to the open wheat fields of Kansas. Although terrified to start a new life in an area where we would be the only Mormons many people would ever meet, I soon came to love the land and the people there. I majored in elementary education while attending BYU. After marrying Craig, we m ...more
More about Roseanne Evans Wilkins...

Kansas Connections (3 books)
  • Tangled Hearts (Kansas Connections #1)
  • Change of Heart (Kansas Connections, #3)