Start by marking “Hidden in the Heart (Kansas Connections, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hidden in the Heart (Kansas Connections, #2)

Hidden in the Heart (Kansas Connections #2)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Cathee is an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She has suffered from severe post traumatic stress disorder for several years. During a vacation with her four year old daughter to Topeka, Kansas, she meets Garrett, a widowed therapist. He hopes Cathee will let him help her work through her issues, but her past has come back to haunt her.
Published April 9th 2011 by Createspace (first published January 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden in the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden in the Heart

This is a sweet story about a woman who was traumatized in her past and tries to handle things on her own. Her parents are dead, and she’s alienated any relatives she has, but while on vacation with her daughter, she meets Garrett, a man with a big heart, but who has also been wounded. This story is about the struggle to put back together a life so that life can be shared with someone else. I enjoyed the story, but especially the relationship between the main character, Cathee, and her daughter. ...more
M. Myers
This was fun, a light, sweet romance such as I hadn’t read in many a moon. Within that framework author Roseanne Evans Wilkins tackles the sensitive issue of a single woman raising the child resulting from her brutal date rape. Her portrayal of the mother-daughter relationship is charming, and the child’s endless questions will bring smiles of recognition.

Romance fans will enjoy the determination with which hero Garrett breaks through the walls Cathee has built around herself. If things develop
Feb 15, 2013 Nancy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To the LDS group
I was reading a couple of more complicated books, and I just couldn't concentrate on either of them. I have been sick over a week, so this was a nice sweet story to read. I'm only giving it three stars, because it's not the greatest book, and yet it held my interest. The single mom in this story plans a weedks vacation with her almsot five year old daughter. I just spent time with my grandchildren, and raised three boys of our own. This little girl was just too good to be true. She was loving an ...more
Loraine scott
Hidden in the Heart by Rosanne Evans Wilkins tugs at your own strings right from the first page. Victims of evil need healing in very specific ways and Hidden can provide soem of those healing powers. Not all things that happen are in your control -- Hidden explores those raw emotions in a tender way and comes out triumphant. Even though the lives of those who are violated will never be the same, Cathee Laurenson builds a life of courage and faith. Though sometimes difficult to process the feeli ...more
Dean Oborn
Liked it.

It had suspense and a love story combined. I felt it was descriptive and it kept my interest. I'm LDS and appreciated the the moral message.
Tamera Westhoff
This was an interesting book. It starts off almost paranormal (I was worried about the guy being a werewolf or something) and quickly shifts to several years later. She just happens to be on vacation at the same place as a guy that is perfect for her and they spend the whole week together (with her daughter who was a product of a date rape) with her having Anxiety attacks, but he's a therapist and is able to talk her through them. Her daughter's father is coming after her to kill her. Crazy stuf ...more
I won this book on a Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway.
I liked this book. It wasn't too preachy. Cathee had many challenges in her young life, but choose how she would react to thoses challenges. She was a strong character and role model for the one person in her life that she was most concerned about. She showed how a person can come to depend on other people if you will let them help you. Overall this is an easy book to read with a satisfing ending.
I won this book on a Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway. Definitely not what I am used to reading - it was interesting. I liked the characters and the storyline. The dialogue was ok between the adults, but just seemed a little advanced for the age of the daughter. This is definitely for LDS (mormon) readers because I don't think anyone else would be familiar with all of the religious terms/jargon. Was an ok read.
Nicole Grane
Wow! Roseanne spends a great deal of time setting each scene so the reader will feel as if they're right there beside the characters. Cathee and Garrett's love story is shadowed by a great tragedy. This romance turned thriller will surprise the reader and leave them white-knuckled along with Cathee as she flees from the horror of her past, through the sheeting rain, and right into the eye of a storm!
Scott Bryan
Hidden In The Heart is a powerful look at survivors. Cathee and Garrett both survived real ordeals. In this book we see them relearn to laugh and in her case, trust. It’s a lesson on surviving abuse, teen pregnancy and the loss of a loved one.
Roseanne Wilkins has crafted a wonderful example on how broken souls can learn to rebuild and find love again. And little Christina is cute.
This book is about good people who have been broken down troughout their lives. The question here is, can they overcome their past? Can they cast aside their trepidations, start picking up the pieces to these shattered lives so they can move on without the fear? Read Hidden in the Heart and find out.
Cathee is raped and pregnant. 5 Years later she takes her daughter on vacation only to meet a man who won't give up on breaking down her walls. Should she trust him? This was a cute book. Worth the read. I didn't LOVE it, but it was interesting, and clean.
I won this book through goodreads. It was a cute book and I was able to relate to some of the things that Cathee was going through. It was the first book that I have read of Roseanne's. I would read more of her books.
Lisa Greer
Cathee and Garrett's story is told with tenderness and realism. I like how Wilkins does not shy away from tough issues like rape and PTSD. If you're looking for a read full of hope that also has real values, pick this one up.
Marilyn Willis
This is asn unusual LDS book. It's not the "normal" story line. I did enjoy reading about a girl who was able to to get an education while being a great single Mom. ?Ends very sweetly but it was an enjoyable read.
I have never been a romance fan but I read this book because a dear friend wrote it. Loved it.
It was a page turner wondering what would happen next and I really enjoyed the story.
Oh my goodness, this was such an amazing book. I have to go out and find Tangled Hearts now.

**I won this book through Goodreads First Reads**
Kristina Franken
I highly recommend this book for anyone

FTC: I received a free copy of this book and was not reimbursed in any other way.
Louise Van Der Leek
Good read, can be done from cover to cover. Love the author writing style.
Melanie Marks
Can't wait to read it! Tangled Hearts was awesome!
Can you recover from tragic events in your life? Can you recover enough to allow love in your life again? This is the questions and issues that Cathee is working though after being rapped on a date.

This book begins very dramatically with a flash back to a night that Cathee was date rapped. It is written so you know what happened but is not graphic. I really appreciated that the author throughout the book was able to discuss such an difficult topic in a clean and respectful way. This opening sce
Laura D.
This was a sweet and tender story. Something that makes you have hope for people out there who have suffered loss and tragedy. Cathee is a single mom, the result of a rape as a teen. She is very wary of men and has never had an interest in pursuing a relationship because of her experience. Garrett has suffered the death of his wife and is reluctant to open his heart again even though he knows as a counselor that it could be the best thing for him.
The two meet in a hotel where she is staying on
Hollie Robb
To tell the truth, I struggled to rate this story. It's total Chick-lit. The truth is I'm not really into those. I just read them because my mother recommend these type to books to me all the time. So I read them, so I have a hard time really likening them. It doesn't mean this story and others that I have rated in the past are bad at all. My rating on books, plays, whatever are my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

This book is easy reading, short, and fast. This fictional romanc
This one was just okay for me. I can't even pinpoint why right now. It definitely kept my interest, but something was missing. It was a quick read which I am grateful. The heroine was an amazing Mom and I empathized with her situation and what she'd been through. I can't even imagine how she felt, but she just was a little to wishy washy for me? Maybe that was on purpose? I guess I still am not sure why it didn't fit, but I doubt I will re read this one to find out. :)
This was a very quick read. Fairly fast paced romance. The girl is suffering from PTSD after being raped in her teen years. She meets a child therapist that deals in reactive attachment disorder in adopted and fostered children, while vacationing with her little girl.
As the two adults become closer, the rapist escapes custody and searches out his former victim.
Rebecca Dean
I'm so sorry this is only a one star book. Wilkins makes me so "tired" when I read her books. Every little detail is written out and each day is more of the same and I just can get through it. I know there is a story in there somewhere, but it takes forever with all the details of getting up, straightening the hair, eating (details of each meal went on forever) etc. etc. and then to wrap it up in a few pages, so UNSATISFACTORY for me the reader.

I ended up liking the "people" in the story, kind o
Lindzee Armstrong
This book deals with a very sensitive issue--raising a child after date rape. What really worked for me is I thought the author handled such a delicate subject very well, especially in the LDS context. I found the little girl in the story charming, and appreciated the slow pace at which Garrett and Cathee's relationship unfolded.

Hidden in the Heart is told from an omniscient point of view, which really allowed both Cathee and Garrett's feelings and opinions to shine through. I appreciated how cl
Well written, but also intense lds romance. Subject matter throughout talks a bit about a circumstance she had in high school that resulted in her daughter, without being graphic, so I suggest this for older teens adults. I enjoyed watching how she grew emotionally in this story.
Hidden in the heart.

I liked this book. There was plenty of action and enough going on t ok keep the story moving. Loved the ending!
I enjoyed this book, but some of it was not really believable. The little four year reacts like she was suffering from PTSD not her mom. All four year olds I have ever known would not curl in a ball at the site of her mom crying. Most would try to comfort her and ask questions. Particularly this child who was in the why stage very heavy. But it was a very easy read. I know some people find it hard to believe a rapist would not wait four years to go after a victim, but I can see why since this. t ...more
  • Abish Mother of Faith
  • Love Spell  (A Comedy of Love #2)
  • My Lucky Stars
  • Ammon (Book of Mormon, #4)
  • The Outer Edge of Heaven: A Love Story
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • Brianna, My Brother, and the Blog
  • Montana Summer
  • Cayman Summer (Taken by Storm, #3)
  • Of Grace and Chocolate
  • Murder By The Way (Kennedy Killingsworth, #3)
  • Whisper Hollow
  • The House at Rose Creek
  • Obsession
  • Ribbon of Darkness
  • Cold Justice
  • Deadly Undertakings
  • Hang'em High (Secret Sisters Mystery #3)
I am the second oldest of 9 children. When I was 8, my family moved from the protective mountains of Salt Lake Valley to the open wheat fields of Kansas. Although terrified to start a new life in an area where we would be the only Mormons many people would ever meet, I soon came to love the land and the people there. I majored in elementary education while attending BYU. After marrying Craig, we m ...more
More about Roseanne Evans Wilkins...

Kansas Connections (3 books)
  • Tangled Hearts (Kansas Connections #1)
  • Change of Heart (Kansas Connections, #3)