Start by marking “The Very Smart Pea and the Princess-to-be” as Want to Read:
The Very Smart Pea and the Princess-to-be

The Very Smart Pea and the Princess-to-be

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  41 reviews
When it comes to sorting out a Real Princess from a Fake Princess, the famous pea-under-the-mattress test is tried-and-true. But for those of you who may have wondered how anyone could feel a tiny garden-variety pea under the weight of twenty mattresses, this book will put that question to rest once and for all.

This witty spoof was shortlisted for the prestigious Kate Gre
Published October 11th 2011 by Dragonfly Books (first published April 3rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Smart Pea and the Princess-to-be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Smart Pea and the Princess-to-be

Lisa Vegan
Nov 13, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all those who can enjoy a clever twist on The Princess and the Pea story
I’ve been reading various accounts of The Princess and the Pea and found this very unique one. It’s told from the point of view of the pea!

The illustrations are really great: They’re full of intricate and entertaining details. I especially loved the picture of the princess who takes her teddy bear to bed with her.

Anyway, it’s fun to see how the princess is finally chosen in this very funny story. I will say that the pea has a lot to do with it. This might be one of my favorite twisted fairy tale
Anna
This charming picture book presents a very popular fairytale in a surprising way, namely from the pea’s point of view. It is funny and engaging. The fabulous illustrations can caught our attention as they are very detailed and colourful. The fact that the eyes of the main characters are made from the peas as is the Queen's (and cat’s) jewellery and the wallpapers have a vegetable design constitute an interesting aspect of the book which may appeal to the readers.

This story can form a basis for m
Regina
Jun 15, 2009 Regina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like fairy tale spoofs
The story of the Princess and the Pea, as told by the Pea, who was destined for important things. I love the illustrations in which the characters have peas for eyes, and the home decor features peas and other vegetables. It's a great spoof, with many possibilities for the classroom. I'd like to use it to reinforce adjectives--the princess wannabes are all too loud, quiet, funny, grumpy, sleepy, scruffy, tidy, pink, scary, etc. The pea comes to the rescue for the prince, helping him land the gir ...more
Kathleen Dixon
The children were particularly interested that the narrator of this story is the pea. After getting their heads around that it didn't strike them as at all noticeable that the pea could move on its own steam (as it were). Well, if we can have a sentient pea there's no reason why we can't have a moving and climbing and whispering one ...

So, this is a fun take on an old story, and another nice variation on princesses (about which young Zenobia is crazy, and thus balance is required. After all, lif
Adrienne

THE VERY SMART PEA AND THE PRINCESS-TO-BE
Review
-----------------------------------------
In my opinion, the illustrations of the prince and the queen are borderline creepy (are those peas for eyes or are they glowing?), and my dislike of personification of things like peas is well-documented on GoodReads. So, those two factors, combined with a general dislike of the story, means that this is a no-go for me...

(Frankly, I still like to think that there is something more magical in the kingdom than
Julie Williams
In this retelling or alternate version of “The Princess and the Pea” we are treated to the pea’s version of events. The pea recalls being grown in the palace garden and then brought to the palace. Instead of being part of a salad though the pea was taken by the queen and put under twenty mattresses and feather beds. The queen was tired of waiting for the thirty four year old prince to find a wife so she decided to conduct a test. Unfortunately, even if the princesses did feel the pea they were t ...more
Felicia Banks
I love that the pea is telling the story. However, the queen is ridiculous. She should let the prince find his own princess, no matter how long it takes. And why is he getting an allowance at 35?!
Kevin
Hilarious retake on a classic from the pea's point of vew.
Miri
The pea helps a girl become the princess.
Dolly
Feb 09, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
This is a fun book, retelling The Princess and the Pea story but told from the pea's perspective. It's an original take on a classic tale. We've borrowed this from the library a few times. The Princess and the Pea
Cheryl
Adorable & sensible variation on my favorite fairy tale. I really do love how the Queen's claim about 'real princesses' turns out to be nonsense. And I appreciated that the other princesses that the Prince rejected were clearly unsuitable, especially as compared to this special young lady who has been under the Prince's nose all along. But he's fine, as he usually had a book more directly under his nose so it's ok he didn't notice her. You be sure to notice all the details in the pictures, i ...more
Mckinley
Princess and the pea from the pea's perspective.
Julie Rylie
This was rated here on goodreads under, I don't remember which one of those quizzes like "best books for bla bla". I thought this was quite interesting because it's the children's story of The Princess and the Pea but from the pea's perspective! That had everything to go right, right? lol

I expected something else I guess. At first, I was not expecting it to be a children's book and it actually is (!), but anyway, it's ok. It's readable and it's still valuable that the pea is telling the story!
Miriam

Mini Grey highlights the main logical flaw in the princess-testing plan (aside from why one would want such a wimpy and over-sensitive bride in the first place!) -- a "real princess" would presumably be too polite to mention an uncomfortable bed. A lowly gardener, on the other hand... well, no, realistically she probably wouldn't complain to the queen about her mattress, either. Unless there were a few hours of hypnotic suggestion on the part of the loyal pea!
Tara
Cute version of the princess and the pea, told from the pea's viewpoint. The story is humorous and the illustrations attractive (I especially liked that the front endpapers depict the gardener planting in the palace garden and the back endpapers show the harvest).
There was only one thing I really disliked- the Queen's eyes were peas, and I found that odd, distracting and disturbing.
My 10-yr-old's review of this book was, "That was a good book. Smart pea."
Katrina Yazzie
This book was interesting from the peas point of view. I didnt think that they would depend on a pea to find out who is a real princess. I liked how the pea made the gardener the prince princess not just anybody girl. This could be a good read aloud for children because it is short and simple. I also like how they put the pea on display because it was important. You would think they would eat it.
Tanya W
Fun fairy tale (Princess and the Pea told by the pea). Pretty funny... I personally never liked the story of the Princess and the Pea... I mean how stupid, the most high-maintenance, hard to please person deserves to be princess. In this story the "princess" privilege goes to the one who is bugged all night by the pea who realizes no one is ever going to feel a pea under 20 mattresses.
Betsy
A fun take on the traditional Princess and the Pea story--this time from the pea's perspective. Mini Grey's illustrations are delightful and full of funny little details for the observant reader (typical of her books!). Still, this story isn't as strong as some of her others. A fun addition to alternative fairy tales.
Mandy McHenry
What a cute story! Loved the illustrations. I absolutely loved how I was able to teach my daughters about point of view. We read the traditional story first, then we read this book to compare the two. We found ourselves laughing through it. Recommend for both girls AND boys to teach POV as a comprehension skill.
Nora
A re-telling of the princess and the pea. LOTS of peas in this story--as eyes, wallpaper, necklaces--peas everywhere! All of the princesses were duds, so the pea chose the gardener for the prince. And then they all lived happily ever after--the pea in a display case & the prince & princess gardening.
Katherine
Sep 16, 2008 Katherine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little girls who like to dig in the dirt
The gardener rocks! Yet, we don't learn much of what goes on inside the pea's head--after all, the smart pea is featured in the title. The boys like the princess/pea re-tellings we've been reading lately. We sat on the couch and ate marshmallows and read this when their friend Katlyn came over.
Liza Gilbert
Eh. It was okay. This is the story of "The Princess and the Pea" from the perspective of the pea. The art is fine, but the whole of the work is lacking in zip.
Larry Ratcliffe
I've read many stories of smart peas but this pea really was the smartest. Such a smart pea. You never know what the pea is up to in this humdinger. Inspiring.
Paula
The pea tells its side of the story from pod to a happy ending, and the inside details of how the princess came to be selected.
Gina
Key-ute!Princess and the Pea told from the perspective of the pea. I love all of the little pea eyes on the characters!
Leigh
the illustrations are what make this book laugh out loud funny! Great fun for group sharing or one on one.
Savannah
Creative spin on the original tale of The Princess And The Pea. Told from the pea`s perspective.
Esther Storrie
Very cute book that tells the "Princess and the Pea" story from the pea's point of view.
  • The Princess and the Packet of Frozen Peas
  • The End
  • Too Many Pears! (English/Japanese Edition)
  • A Book
  • An Undone Fairy Tale
  • The Gingerbread Girl Goes Animal Crackers
  • Carmine: A Little More Red
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
  • Fairly Fairy Tales
  • Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly
  • No Bears
  • Sister Anne's Hands
  • Fanny
Traction Man Is Here! Three by the Sea Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog Hermelin: The Detective Mouse The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon