Start by marking “Hotel Vendome” as Want to Read:
Hotel Vendome

Hotel Vendome

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,869 Ratings  ·  407 Reviews
Danielle Steel’s dazzling new novel invites readers into the ultra-glamorous world of a five-star New York hotel, and brings to vivid life the man who builds it as his dream, the girl who grows up in its loving embrace, and the colorful guests and staff who make its magic complete.

HOTEL VENDÔME

The hotel was old, run-down. But to Swiss-born Hugues Martin, a young, ambitiou
Paperback, Large Print, 432 pages
Published November 1st 2011 by Random House Large Print (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hotel Vendome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hotel Vendome

Corina
Feb 08, 2012 Corina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel used to be my favorite author. However, either the quality of her writing is declining in the past few years or her editor(s) are not doing their job.

The story in Hotel Vendome was fine. It was worth telling but it was too predictable. The big faults, in my opinion, are, first, that the story is 98% narrative. We don't get to read what happens as it happens or from one of the characters that it happens to. We only read it as the narrator tells us and only from that POV. How about
Donna
Jan 22, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I went to the library and there were a million Danielle Steel books on the best seller shelves. Even though I don't usually read her anymore, this one looked interesting. I decided to give her another chance. And her hero is a young Dad with a young daughter. And he buys and renovates a hotel. And this is about his precocious daughter. And her life. And the life of a 5 star hotel. And...ok, this is one reason why I don't read Danielle anymore. p. 8..."most of the time he was working at the h ...more
Christi
Nov 29, 2011 Christi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really should learn from other reader's reviews and truly listen to them. Most did NOT recommend this book. Lesson learned. I don’t think I’ve read a Danielle Steel book in about 15 years. And it may be that long before I read another one. I was quite interested in the premise of a luxury hotel and the story of a father and daughter. Steel did a great job of grasping the details of running the hotel and the relationship between the father, his daughter and the hotel staff was quite endearing. ...more
Apr 22, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not usually a fan of Danielle Steel's books, but the premise of this one sounded interesting. A page or so into it I remembered just why I dislike her work. The writing is horrible and redundant. The author has her favorite words and phrases and uses them -- constantly. Also, she starts a lot of sentences with the word "And." Here's an example: "And Franco had ordered all silver balloons. And within half an hour the celebration was under way." Even I was impressed by back to back uses of th ...more
Tabs
Apr 05, 2012 Tabs rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I should add this to the What Was I Thinking pile. I don't read this stuff.

If you want to know what it feels like to be a fly on the wall in the mundane and boring life of people you don't really care for this is the book for you.

I kept waiting for something to happen. My first attempt at a D. Steele book. I kept waiting for fangs to appear (yes, I am obsessed with vampires) or someone to get killed but nothing so far, absolutely NOTHING and I am many chapters in.

"You can't knock it till you try
Lynne Young
Nov 30, 2011 Lynne Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful book by Danielle Steel! This one spans the life of a man with a dream and the daughter who lives it with him. The Hotel Vendome is the dream of Hughes Martin. Unfortunately 2 years after he buys a run down hotel to renovate his wife decides she can't live with being a wife to a man that works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so she runs off with a rock star leaving her 2 year old daughter in the care of her father. Not only is Heloise cared for by her father, she is cared for and ...more
Tanya (Girl Plus Books)
You can count of Danielle Steel for a few things: light, fluffy reads; extreme repetition; and every other sentence staring with "And."

That being said, this was typical Steel fare. If you're familiar with Danielle Steel you'll know what you're getting. Beautiful people in beautiful surroundings with either minor conflict or tragic circumstances (there is rarely any in-between). For the most part this is conflict of the minor sort with the daughter reacting as if there's a major tragedy. A 19-20
Nancy S
Feb 16, 2012 Nancy S rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2012
Danielle Steel used to be one of my favorite authors. The quality of her writing has been going down hill but this is getting ridiculous. If a new author submitted this book to a publisher it would NOT have been bought....let alone published! I would hate to see the original manuscript submitted... must have been so bad that the editors couldn't even fix it...or maybe they didn't even try since it sold copies by the authors name alone. That will not last.

The characters were shallow and the dialo
Denise Jo
I usually love Danielle Steel's books, but this one, not so much.... It was a waste of paper. The best thing about the book is the jacket, which is exquisite, and tells the story of the book better than how it was written. It is about a man who owns a hotel and his daughter that grew up there. Danielle Steel made the characters weak and wimpy and there was no substance to the story. It could have been told in half the amount of pages, or less. I really looked forward to this and was really disap ...more
Amie Beamer
Typical Steel...easy, quick read.
Julie Barrett
Mar 20, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hotel Vendôme by Danielle Steel
Hugh has built a hotel that is fit for a king or queen. After a few years his wife leaves them and he gets to raise their daughter which he has no problem doing.
His whole life is Heloise and the hotel.
As years go by Heloise also loves the hotel business and applies to a Swiss school to get further training. She gets in and he finds himself lost while she's gone
so he undertakes a new project: redoing some of the larger suites. The designer is one he feels very comfo
Anna
Apr 18, 2012 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I've outgrown Danielle Steel. The plot was nice, but nothing amazing. I wasn't enthralled. I wasn't intrigued. I was reading because I had forgotten my other book. The story, a girl being raised by her father in a hotel he owns, was just that single plot until the last 50ish pages of the book where, in that small fraction, the father got re-married, had a heart attack, the step-mom had triplets after hemmoraging, and the daughter was engaged. Talk about packing it in. It's like she had a ...more
Sith Lancerlot
بعد انتهائي من قراءة الرواية رميتها رمي إلى قسم الكتب المقروءة, ما هذه المهزلة؟. أنا رفعت آمالي بدرجة كبيرة وغبية عندما اعتقدت أنها ستُناقش العلاقات الاجتماعية و الرومانسية بعمق لكنها بالنهاية سطحية بشكل بحت. .الأحداث مملة ومتوقعة لدرجة إني أجرؤ على القول أنه لم تكن هناك أحداث أصلاً

قد تكون هذه الرواية لا تصلح بأن تكون أول قراءة لدخل عالم دانيال ستيل لكن ما العمل بعدما وقع الفأس في الرأس؟.

لا أزال أبحث عن الرواية الدرامية التي ستصهر روحي في أحداثها وأعتقد أني سأقتني خارطة الحب
Cyd
Nov 20, 2011 Cyd rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of her worst and she wrote it poorly and her characters were thin and the errors were so blatant and she does not know there is a limit to how many "ands" can be in a sentence. And doesn't she know you do not start a sentence with " and"? Hotel manager raises spoiled daughter. Daddy wants to remarry when daughter is grown and whiny brat stomps her feet. Wait to get this at a garage sale, and don't hesitate to ask for change for your nickle.
Julie
Apr 22, 2012 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while, I try another book by some of the wildly popular authors whose work I haven't much enjoyed in the past. I've not changed my mind about Steel. I find her writing to be repetitious, bland bordering on insipid, character development shallow, & plot lines thin. This book was no exception. Good thing I borrowed it from the library instead of spending any money!
Suzanne
Feb 21, 2015 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this DS novel! Really enjoyed reading about the lives of the Hotel's owner and his daughter. You can see the love the author has for Paris. I listened to a tiny sample of the audio book and the correct pronunciation was so much better than my inner mumbling! If you're a DS fan, I hope you'll read it and enjoy it as much as I.
Michelle
Feb 06, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I couldn't stop reading it.

It is a romance if I ever read one. Its a story of love between a father and daughter, and how their deep connection effects their personal lives. Like any family Hugues and Heloise have problems. Sometimes when you try everything to protect your children from hurt, your end up causing the pain you never wanted them to experience.

This book is also a coming of age story of a young girl. Its about the pains of growing up. It's about becoming an adult a
Natalie
Aug 16, 2012 Natalie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So it took me up until now to read a Danielle Steel book. Much to my relief, I've found that I wasn't missing a whole heck of a lot, in fact - I want the several hours I spent in the car listening to this piece of crap...back. I want to sue Danielle Steel for taking away this time I could have spent just driving and not listening to anything, which would have been preferable to the experience she subjected me to. This was a recent title - to those who have read earlier creations - has she just g ...more
Deb
Feb 17, 2016 Deb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had sworn off Danielle Steel's books for quite some time, but came across this one while looking for an easy listening book for a road trip. I succumbed and checked it out of my library. Part way through the first chapter, I remembered why I had given up on her books. The writing was immature and erratic. Sentences were plopped randomly into paragraphs where they made no sense. The author's constant use of "and" at the beginning of sentences is as aggravating in an audio book as it is in readi ...more
Samyann
Audible Audiobook. Narrated by Fred Stella, Hotel Vendame is about 9.5 hours of listening.

Very girly, romantic, no erotica, great reading for a teenaged girl. Typical of Steel, there is considerable repetitiveness and you may roll your eyes and giggle at some mushy scenes and phrases. You may also grit your teeth a bit with regard to the wimpy lead male character … his foolish attitude, in addition to that of his selfish daughter. This issue had me stop reading (listening) a few times, and I act
Irene
I enjoyed reading this novel, but it left me hardly nothing except a lot of enthusiasm for hotel management.
The cover for the edition I read promised "Glamour, celebrities and secrets..." The book delivered on none of these aspects.

The only secret (and sole conflict) within felt totally fabricated and Heloise, the young main character, ends up steering completely off character. For hundreds of pages she's presented as a compassionate and mature young woman, wise beyond her years and sure in the
Zézinha Rosado
Quem já leu Danielle Steel sabe que os seus livros são sempre de leitura fácil e que nos fazem sonhar e viver a vida de cada personagem.
Este livro é o que eu chamo de "livro previsível", pois à medida que a acção se desenrola facilmente conseguimos prever o que vem a seguir, se bem que a autora faz sempre questão de nos surpreender com um ou outro pormenor.
Gostei bastante do facto do livro abordar o tema da hotelaria, ou não fosse eu uma trabalhadora da indústria hoteleira.
Chantal
Jul 06, 2012 Chantal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Danielle Steel book I have read, and will likely be the last. Though the plot summary seemed interesting, I spent the entire novel waiting for something to happen. I found Heloise's actions in the middle of the book hard to believe and made her somewhat unlikeable. The book is interesting in terms of the hotel descriptions and overall management and running of a boutique hotel, but that's really the only enjoyable aspect.
Katie Q
Feb 04, 2013 Katie Q rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I give this 4 stars simply because it was a nice interlude read that was easy and entertaining. The story is quite cliche' however endearing. My big complaint is how the author treated the reader as stupid throughout the book by reiterating situations like the reader has a super short memory and would not have remembered. Not having read a Danielle Steel book for umpteen years it just may be the authors standard style.
Myriam Ruiz De Castilla
Novela romántica, género q' domina D. Steel

Un hijo de banqueros suizos (Huges) q' rompe la tradición y decide dedicarse a la profesión hotelera, algo q' lo apasiona

Llega a ser propietario de un hotel en N.York al q' transforma en un magnífico y exquisito lugar donde se alojan personajes importantes de todas partes del mundo.
Se casa muy enamorado de una modelo, tienen una hija Heloise, la modelo, Miriam, se cansa pronto y se fuga con un cantante de rock.

Heloise y su padre viven muy unidos y resid
Debbie
Dec 24, 2011 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-ok
This novel was bit more interesting than some of her more recent books, but it was sorely in need of a good editing. As usual, Ms. Steel writes about characters who are rich, happy and have found their perfect life partners, with only minor bumps along the way. Love has truly conquered all in this story, but the setting, an exclusive hotel in NYC, made it a tad more readable.
Rebecca
Single father raises daughter while residing in a fancy hotel in NYC.

***SPOILER ALERT:*** I enjoyed the first third of this book, especially learning more about managing a fancy hotel. The second third is annoying the crap out of me. The father is reluctant to tell his daughter about the new love in his life because the daughter is just plain selfish and narcissistic. She's off at school in Europe so what does she care?

Overall, this book was OK and I enjoyed the parts about managing a hotel. Ye
Sue
Apr 01, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel, my guilty pleasure. Another one that doesn't disappoint. Takes place in a small boutique hotel in NYC. A quick read, you will get lost in their world (at least for a few hours).
Tina
Jan 08, 2012 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
I hadn't read a Danielle Steel book in YEARS but felt like a fluffy read and this one fit the bill. Sweet book, predictable but it suited exactly what I was looking for in a book at the time.
Ashley FL
2.5 stars, I guess. Love the idea of a story revolving around a hotel. Disliked the writing (have you ever heard of "show, don't tell, Ms. Steel??"), disliked that the daughter was such a brat.
Danielle Steel Bo...: Hotel Vendome 1 9 Nov 20, 2012 09:05PM
  • Tempted
  • Suspicion of Vengeance (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #6)
  • Back Roads (Glens Crossing, #1)
  • The Seduction of an English Lady
  • Undone
  • First Comes Love
  • Lethal Seduction
  • Firebird
  • Under Cover
  • Betrayal
  • Desire (Notorious, #3)
  • To Kiss a Spy (Kiss, #2)
  • An Engagement in Seattle: Groom Wanted\Bride Wanted
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • The Sunday List of Dreams
  • A Song for My Mother
  • Murder, Mayhem And Mama
  • Lost in Your Arms (Governess Brides, #6)
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...

“going past her on a gurney, surrounded” 0 likes