Start by marking “Hotel Vendome” as Want to Read:
Hotel Vendome

Hotel Vendome

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  3,459 ratings  ·  382 reviews
Danielle Steel’s dazzling new novel invites readers into the ultra-glamorous world of a five-star New York hotel, and brings to vivid life the man who builds it as his dream, the girl who grows up in its loving embrace, and the colorful guests and staff who make its magic complete.

HOTEL VENDÔME

The hotel was old, run-down. But to Swiss-born Hugues Martin, a young, ambitiou
Published November 1st 2011 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hotel Vendome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hotel Vendome

Corina
Danielle Steel used to be my favorite author. However, either the quality of her writing is declining in the past few years or her editor(s) are not doing their job.

The story in Hotel Vendome was fine. It was worth telling but it was too predictable. The big faults, in my opinion, are, first, that the story is 98% narrative. We don't get to read what happens as it happens or from one of the characters that it happens to. We only read it as the narrator tells us and only from that POV. How about
Donna
OK, I went to the library and there were a million Danielle Steel books on the best seller shelves. Even though I don't usually read her anymore, this one looked interesting. I decided to give her another chance. And her hero is a young Dad with a young daughter. And he buys and renovates a hotel. And this is about his precocious daughter. And her life. And the life of a 5 star hotel. And...ok, this is one reason why I don't read Danielle anymore. p. 8..."most of the time he was working at the h ...more
Christi
I really should learn from other reader's reviews and truly listen to them. Most did NOT recommend this book. Lesson learned. I don’t think I’ve read a Danielle Steel book in about 15 years. And it may be that long before I read another one. I was quite interested in the premise of a luxury hotel and the story of a father and daughter. Steel did a great job of grasping the details of running the hotel and the relationship between the father, his daughter and the hotel staff was quite endearing. ...more
I am not usually a fan of Danielle Steel's books, but the premise of this one sounded interesting. A page or so into it I remembered just why I dislike her work. The writing is horrible and redundant. The author has her favorite words and phrases and uses them -- constantly. Also, she starts a lot of sentences with the word "And." Here's an example: "And Franco had ordered all silver balloons. And within half an hour the celebration was under way." Even I was impressed by back to back uses of th ...more
Tabs
I should add this to the What Was I Thinking pile. I don't read this stuff.

If you want to know what it feels like to be a fly on the wall in the mundane and boring life of people you don't really care for this is the book for you.

I kept waiting for something to happen. My first attempt at a D. Steele book. I kept waiting for fangs to appear (yes, I am obsessed with vampires) or someone to get killed but nothing so far, absolutely NOTHING and I am many chapters in.

"You can't knock it till you try
Lynne Young
Another wonderful book by Danielle Steel! This one spans the life of a man with a dream and the daughter who lives it with him. The Hotel Vendome is the dream of Hughes Martin. Unfortunately 2 years after he buys a run down hotel to renovate his wife decides she can't live with being a wife to a man that works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so she runs off with a rock star leaving her 2 year old daughter in the care of her father. Not only is Heloise cared for by her father, she is cared for and ...more
Tanya
You can count of Danielle Steel for a few things: light, fluffy reads; extreme repetition; and every other sentence staring with "And."

That being said, this was typical Steel fare. If you're familiar with Danielle Steel you'll know what you're getting. Beautiful people in beautiful surroundings with either minor conflict or tragic circumstances (there is rarely any in-between). For the most part this is conflict of the minor sort with the daughter reacting as if there's a major tragedy. A 19-20
Nancy S
Danielle Steel used to be one of my favorite authors. The quality of her writing has been going down hill but this is getting ridiculous. If a new author submitted this book to a publisher it would NOT have been bought....let alone published! I would hate to see the original manuscript submitted... must have been so bad that the editors couldn't even fix it...or maybe they didn't even try since it sold copies by the authors name alone. That will not last.

The characters were shallow and the dialo
Denise Jo
I usually love Danielle Steel's books, but this one, not so much.... It was a waste of paper. The best thing about the book is the jacket, which is exquisite, and tells the story of the book better than how it was written. It is about a man who owns a hotel and his daughter that grew up there. Danielle Steel made the characters weak and wimpy and there was no substance to the story. It could have been told in half the amount of pages, or less. I really looked forward to this and was really disap ...more
Julie Barrett
Hotel Vendôme by Danielle Steel
Hugh has built a hotel that is fit for a king or queen. After a few years his wife leaves them and he gets to raise their daughter which he has no problem doing.
His whole life is Heloise and the hotel.
As years go by Heloise also loves the hotel business and applies to a Swiss school to get further training. She gets in and he finds himself lost while she's gone
so he undertakes a new project: redoing some of the larger suites. The designer is one he feels very comfo
Anna
I think I've outgrown Danielle Steel. The plot was nice, but nothing amazing. I wasn't enthralled. I wasn't intrigued. I was reading because I had forgotten my other book. The story, a girl being raised by her father in a hotel he owns, was just that single plot until the last 50ish pages of the book where, in that small fraction, the father got re-married, had a heart attack, the step-mom had triplets after hemmoraging, and the daughter was engaged. Talk about packing it in. It's like she had a ...more
Cyd
One of her worst and she wrote it poorly and her characters were thin and the errors were so blatant and she does not know there is a limit to how many "ands" can be in a sentence. And doesn't she know you do not start a sentence with " and"? Hotel manager raises spoiled daughter. Daddy wants to remarry when daughter is grown and whiny brat stomps her feet. Wait to get this at a garage sale, and don't hesitate to ask for change for your nickle.
Julie
Every once in a while, I try another book by some of the wildly popular authors whose work I haven't much enjoyed in the past. I've not changed my mind about Steel. I find her writing to be repetitious, bland bordering on insipid, character development shallow, & plot lines thin. This book was no exception. Good thing I borrowed it from the library instead of spending any money!
Suzanne
Loved this DS novel! Really enjoyed reading about the lives of the Hotel's owner and his daughter. You can see the love the author has for Paris. I listened to a tiny sample of the audio book and the correct pronunciation was so much better than my inner mumbling! If you're a DS fan, I hope you'll read it and enjoy it as much as I.
Amie Beamer
Typical Steel...easy, quick read.
Michelle
I loved this book! I couldn't stop reading it.

It is a romance if I ever read one. Its a story of love between a father and daughter, and how their deep connection effects their personal lives. Like any family Hugues and Heloise have problems. Sometimes when you try everything to protect your children from hurt, your end up causing the pain you never wanted them to experience.

This book is also a coming of age story of a young girl. Its about the pains of growing up. It's about becoming an adult a
Sith Lancerlot
بعد انتهائي من قراءة الرواية رميتها رمي إلى قسم الكتب المقروءة, ما هذه المهزلة؟. أنا رفعت آمالي بدرجة كبيرة وغبية عندما اعتقدت أنها ستُناقش العلاقات الاجتماعية و الرومانسية بعمق لكنها بالنهاية سطحية بشكل بحت. .الأحداث مملة ومتوقعة لدرجة إني أجرؤ على القول أنه لم تكن هناك أحداث أصلاً

قد تكون هذه الرواية لا تصلح بأن تكون أول قراءة لدخل عالم دانيال ستيل لكن ما العمل بعدما وقع الفأس في الرأس؟.

لا أزال أبحث عن الرواية الدرامية التي ستصهر روحي في أحداثها وأعتقد أني سأقتني خارطة الحب
Natalie
So it took me up until now to read a Danielle Steel book. Much to my relief, I've found that I wasn't missing a whole heck of a lot, in fact - I want the several hours I spent in the car listening to this piece of crap...back. I want to sue Danielle Steel for taking away this time I could have spent just driving and not listening to anything, which would have been preferable to the experience she subjected me to. This was a recent title - to those who have read earlier creations - has she just g ...more
Samyann
Audible Audiobook. Narrated by Fred Stella, Hotel Vendame is about 9.5 hours of listening.

Very girly, romantic, no erotica, great reading for a teenaged girl. Typical of Steel, there is considerable repetitiveness and you may roll your eyes and giggle at some mushy scenes and phrases. You may also grit your teeth a bit with regard to the wimpy lead male character … his foolish attitude, in addition to that of his selfish daughter. This issue had me stop reading (listening) a few times, and I act
Irene
I enjoyed reading this novel, but it left me hardly nothing except a lot of enthusiasm for hotel management.
The cover for the edition I read promised "Glamour, celebrities and secrets..." The book delivered on none of these aspects.

The only secret (and sole conflict) within felt totally fabricated and Heloise, the young main character, ends up steering completely off character. For hundreds of pages she's presented as a compassionate and mature young woman, wise beyond her years and sure in the
Zézinha Rosado
Quem já leu Danielle Steel sabe que os seus livros são sempre de leitura fácil e que nos fazem sonhar e viver a vida de cada personagem.
Este livro é o que eu chamo de "livro previsível", pois à medida que a acção se desenrola facilmente conseguimos prever o que vem a seguir, se bem que a autora faz sempre questão de nos surpreender com um ou outro pormenor.
Gostei bastante do facto do livro abordar o tema da hotelaria, ou não fosse eu uma trabalhadora da indústria hoteleira.
Chantal
This was the first Danielle Steel book I have read, and will likely be the last. Though the plot summary seemed interesting, I spent the entire novel waiting for something to happen. I found Heloise's actions in the middle of the book hard to believe and made her somewhat unlikeable. The book is interesting in terms of the hotel descriptions and overall management and running of a boutique hotel, but that's really the only enjoyable aspect.
Katie Q
I give this 4 stars simply because it was a nice interlude read that was easy and entertaining. The story is quite cliche' however endearing. My big complaint is how the author treated the reader as stupid throughout the book by reiterating situations like the reader has a super short memory and would not have remembered. Not having read a Danielle Steel book for umpteen years it just may be the authors standard style.
Debbie
This novel was bit more interesting than some of her more recent books, but it was sorely in need of a good editing. As usual, Ms. Steel writes about characters who are rich, happy and have found their perfect life partners, with only minor bumps along the way. Love has truly conquered all in this story, but the setting, an exclusive hotel in NYC, made it a tad more readable.
Sue
Danielle Steel, my guilty pleasure. Another one that doesn't disappoint. Takes place in a small boutique hotel in NYC. A quick read, you will get lost in their world (at least for a few hours).
Tina
I hadn't read a Danielle Steel book in YEARS but felt like a fluffy read and this one fit the bill. Sweet book, predictable but it suited exactly what I was looking for in a book at the time.
Ashley FL
2.5 stars, I guess. Love the idea of a story revolving around a hotel. Disliked the writing (have you ever heard of "show, don't tell, Ms. Steel??"), disliked that the daughter was such a brat.
Kim
These are my comfort reads and I enjoyed this one. The storyline is predictable once you've read a few Danielle Steel. I still like to curl up with one and a cup of tea for a few hours.
Sara
Do not read this book for the love of god. I had a choice of reading this or buying a $30 magazine that would last me 2 hours. So I read the book... But I'm not happy about it...
Michaela
With every book I read of Danielle Steel I fall more in love. She writes exquisitely and with such depth! A romance novel as it should be. With the complications that are realistic and are easy to connect with. She makes the people human and not just idealistic images that you wish you were. Her characters make mistakes and have personality quirks. She doesn't over explain anything and she makes you want to cry, laugh, and celebrate through out every single one of her books.

In this book the rel
Danielle Steel Bo...: Hotel Vendome 1 8 Nov 20, 2012 09:05PM
  • Tempted
  • Back Roads (Glens Crossing, #1)
  • First Comes Love
  • Suspicion of Madness (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #7)
  • Undone
  • 1225 Christmas Tree Lane
  • Firebird
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • The Seduction of an English Lady
  • Lethal Seduction
  • Under Cover
  • To Kiss a Spy (Kiss, #2)
  • Promise Me Forever (Lost Lords, #3)
  • Southern Comfort
  • Desire (Notorious, #3)
  • A Summer Affair (Calhoun Chronicles #5)
  • A Season Beyond a Kiss
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...
Safe Harbour Sisters The Gift Kaleidoscope Fine Things