Start by marking “In Malice, Quite Close” as Want to Read:
In Malice, Quite Close

In Malice, Quite Close

A haunting and sophisticated debut in which priceless art and unspeakable desires converge.

French ex-pat Tristan Mourault is the wealthy, urbane heir to a world- renowned collection of art-and an insatiable voyeur enamored with Karen Miller, a fifteen-year-old girl from a working-class family in San Francisco. Deciding he must "rescue" Karen from her unhappy circumstanc
Published August 4th 2011 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about In Malice, Quite Close, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Malice, Quite Close

Dec 26, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
An ex-pat Frenchman living in San Francisco becomes obsessed with a 15-year-old girl and “rescues” her from what he thinks is an abusive family. Years later they are living the good life in the idyllic tourist town of Devon, Washington but secrets and twists abound. Yes, it was odd and rather creepy but there were revelations around every corner that kept me glued.
Aug 16, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it
Read as a First Reads book!

I quite liked this! I was a bit worried when it started that it'd be a twin of Anne Rice's Belinda, but it was definitely it's own book. Be prepared to be a little uncomfortable with the pedophilic overtones, but other than one short scene, there's nothing too graphic/overt. Though even if Karen/Gisele were older than 15-ish, the whole relationship would still be pretty creepy, so Tristan's leanings toward the young are not really the focus of the book.

Anyway, to get a
In Malice, Quite Close: Book Review & Book Giveaway

“I have come to see I’m incapable of drawing clear moral distinctions. For me the question of what can and cannot be done has never been an ethical one. There is no line I cannot smudge with my thumb…I have always been undone by beautiful things, and it might be said that beauty itself was my quarry.” Tristan Mourault

Tristan Mourault is a wealthy French ex-pat living in New York, who is heir to a world renowned art collection he can never re
Oct 09, 2011 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Rimbaud was one of the heroes of my late adolescence - Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Oscar Wilde, Aubrey Beardsley - what bookish teenager wouldn't love their decadent romanticism. I mention this because the title of In Malice, Quite Close is taken from a poem by Rimbaud and the book itself absolutely delivers on the promise of its title in elegance, perversity, and decadent suspense.

Ms. Ryder has a talent for writing characters that you believe in and root for, even when somewhere a tiny voice in your h
Tracy Shapley
Aug 24, 2011 Tracy Shapley rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
In Malice, Quite Close by Brandi Lynn Ryder is one of the tensest books I've ever read. Not only did Ms. Ryder manage to keep me guessing about who-done-it, she kept me guessing about what they'd done. This intricate novel covered decades of time and at every twist there was a turn and where you thought there would be a turn you found a brick wall, except that brick wall turned out to to be a trick wall, except, wait, is that even brick? And who's that guy over there with the shovel?

In the h
Aug 19, 2011 Krissie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book on goodreads from Viking and I am very thankful.

The first chapter will get you hooked.

I would highly suggest this book. All of the lies and betrayls are mixed with what the characters think love is. A great book that kept me guessing until the very end.
Mar 01, 2012 Kathryn marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
The cover of this book is great! I can't wait to get and to read it...
Aug 11, 2011 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Absolutely magnificent.

Ryder's debut novel is simply outstanding. The premise is intriguing and disturbing, the writing lush and sensual. In the end, this story is about obsession... just not in the ways in which we are lead to believe at the outset.

To discuss it too much is to give too much away. This is a novel to be savored, if you possibly can. It's a serious page-turner, a fantastic mystery. The characters are fully developed, and lovely to behold. Gisele, in particular, is a mirror.

My onl
Sep 04, 2011 Moose rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Moose by: Goodreads Book Giveaway
This novel left me entirely in awe. The complexity of the plot, the depths of the characters, and the beautiful use of language, themes, and imagery absolutely captivated me. The story itself was a gorgeously crafted labyrinth that sprawled through obsession, jealousy, self-examination, self-denial, beauty, and art. Each path of the different plot elements flowed seamlessly into one another yet still retained enough of their own uniqueness that none of them felt over used or repetitive. I loathe ...more
Aug 09, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
I don't even know how to review this book! It is multi-layered and not straight-forward in any way. Ultimately, I believe the author is using the complex characters in the book to dispel the idea of truth being the only reality when "truth" does not necessarily exist except in the mind of the interpreter.

It is a disturbing story that is artfully told. I honestly could not put the book down. In fact, like art, interpretation is very personal and represents a culmination of a person's experiences
Kathy Gray
Aug 10, 2011 Kathy Gray rated it really liked it
This book was awsome. I won it on a goodreads giveaway. I thought this ws a great book. It had a lot of twists and turns and a really surprising end.
Eric Richards
Aug 11, 2011 Eric Richards rated it it was amazing
This is one for those who like a little thinking with their suspense. It is a "literary-commercial" crossover book - which just means that it's a page turned filled with characters that have been fleshed out to the point where you get to know them, and they stay with you long after you finish the book.

Filled with interesting characters, plots twists, and even out-loud moments where you go, "OMG!". (I love it when a book can do that to me)

There are tons of great reviews out there for In Malice,
Marla Mendenhall
There is craft, the ability to take the tools of one's trade and make a skillful, technically accurate rendition. And then there is art. Art is that cinematic moment when not a specific image stands out on its own but yet has awakened your senses to an overwhelming experience. It is the soundtrack that draws not singular attention but in blending itself to the visual moment ignites and explodes your emotions. It is the canvas that with indeterminate color mixture and indistinguishable brush stro ...more
Sep 12, 2011 LuAnn rated it it was amazing
This book could only be described as eerie. It’s outright spine-chilling, with its sinister and disturbing theme. Not for the weak at heart, this book is very vivid as it takes the reader in a different kind of world where the rich are capable of getting exactly what they desire, regardless of the consequences to others. Absolutely fascinating, the story delves into the minds of the mentally disturbed, as well as the frightening effects of sexual perversions.

The story revolves around adult Trist
Connie Grover
Sep 15, 2011 Connie Grover rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely the best psychological mystery I have ever read. I listened to it rather than read it, and I think for once this enhanced the story, as the narrator had a talent for using the accents appropriate to each character. I won't say a thing to give this away, but I can't get the story or the characters out of my head.
Sep 21, 2011 Gayle rated it it was amazing
Life Imitates Art

On the same day Brandi Lynn Ryder’s In Malice Quite Close found its way to me, I read a news article about a missing fifteen-year-old girl. Something led the authorities to believe she’d left home willingly in the company of a sex offender who is in his 30s. This item erased my questions concerning how a young girl could just disappear without being taken against her will.
This is somewhat a disturbing story told in a superbly written way that keeps you turning the pages.
Jul 07, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
I'd have a hard time describing the story accurately: mystery, psychological study, pathological obsession, child abuse, art. I would recommend it, and am considering suggesting it to my book group.
Sara Snelling
Feb 13, 2014 Sara Snelling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am afraid to pick up another book too soon after this one, for fear that it might be much like chasing a fine wine with a pasty toothbrush- letting it linger a bit seems far more attractive. I will say, admittedly, that I was contemplating moving on to another book a bit after the initial excitement had faded- what a mistake that would have been. The story here is great, and full of savory characters and exciting twists, but the language here is the real winner. I praise Brandi Lynn Ryder for ...more
Aug 01, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
While browsing the new book rack at the public library, I stumbled across this gem. The title was very intriguing to me because I had no idea of the book's content based on the title. After reading the jacket flap, i knew this was right up my alley. This book kept me up all night AND kept me guessing right until the very end! It was refreshing to not be able to immediately solve the mystery. With such complex characters and relationships,I found myself rereading to ensure I didn't miss something ...more
Mona Bomgaars
Oct 10, 2012 Mona Bomgaars rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Book moved from repulsive sections to fascinating sections. I would just decide to stop reading when a more engaging section would start. In general though could not recommend and didn't even retain for the annual book sale. My copy was left in a pensione in Florence.
Christine Durkin
Mar 03, 2013 Christine Durkin rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!! This is her first book and I can't imagine how she'll be able to top it, (but I bet she will). Where did this woman come from? I think she'll be an author that quickly joins the ranks of Anita Shreve, Elizabeth Berg, Anne Tyler, and Alice Hoffman and then completely blow them away.

I'm really picky, I usually bale on a book if it doesn't really hook me with its writing style within the first chapter, (so anything I review, I'm going to give at least four stars.

I fear I may have to adjust
Jul 29, 2015 Ana rated it it was amazing
This book seriously ruined other forms of literature for me. I have not been able to find another book that even comes close to comparison to "In Malice Quite Close." It has left me hooked and wanting for more!
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
If you loved this book then boy do I have the book for you! ;O

This is a (bad) retelling of the book Lolita. It's very similar to that classic and, as such, it just can't hold a candle. It's actually so similar and tight a retelling that I'm amazed it wasn't put in the book blurb. The author flips things around or delays them, and the murder is different, but still. It's quite similar, from the journal start to most everything.

Thug Notes summery of Lolita:
Feb 19, 2015 Anthea rated it it was amazing
Wow this book is disturbingly amazing.

What started off as a pedophilia's dream spiraled down into a clusterfuck. This book is like a mixture of Lolita with a hint of The Picture of Dorian Gray. (both of my favourite books btw)

The language and flow of words from the author is just stunning. Captivated me from the first sentence. It is a tale about obsession, secrecy, adultery, lying, manipulating and whole lot of other fuckery.

Please read this book. It is so good you won't regret it. Kept me at t
May 28, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
'In Malice, Quite Close' is Brandi Lynn Ryder's debut novel. And as blown away as I am by the book itself, I am even more blown away by this fact. The writing is spectacular and the story itself is just as magnificent. Put these facts together and there is no denying Ms. Ryder's core talent as an author.

I expect that this book will stay with me for a long time to come. It's disturbing and heart wrenching subject matter has a genuine honesty that I didn't expect to find between the lines. And whi
Hmm, what did I think? I have very mixed feeling about this book. It took me a long time to read it-not because it was challenging, and not because it was boring, exactly, but because I didn't feel a sense of urgency to see what happens next. The characters were somewhat empty, underdeveloped, especially the female characters. And there seemed to be too many characters, of similar types, for me to get too close to any one.

But I didn't stop reading it. As I progressed further into the book I did
Elly Wendy
Apr 09, 2015 Elly Wendy rated it really liked it
4* Starting: Ooooooh . . . weird, frightening, very unusual. Adult content and so disturbing at times that I was tempted to stop listening, but couldn't.
Wow. I think this is an extraordinary, very powerful, compelling book/audio.
Jun 25, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Disturbing, yet I couldn't put it down. The was so much disfunction going on I couldn't decide if I felt pity for the main characters or just didn't like them, but I still couldn't put it down. I guess that's the sign of a well written story
Apr 28, 2016 Yolanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, favorite
  • Paper Butterfly (A Mei Wang Mystery, #2)
  • Luminarium
  • Cambodia Noir
  • You Believers
  • Tattoo Girl
  • Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot (Hailey's War #2)
  • An Accident in August
  • The Grace of Everyday Saints: How a Band of Believers Lost Their Church and Found Their Faith
  • Inner City Blues (Charlotte Justice, #1)
  • The May Queen: Women on Life, Love, Work, and Pulling It All Together in Your 30s
  • The Hours Before Dawn (Paperback)
  • The Hunger Trace
  • Memento & Following
  • The Diviner's Tale
  • Darkness and Day
  • The L.A. Dodger (Ballpark Mysteries, #3)
  • Raised Right: How I Untangled My Faith from Politics