Start by marking “In Malice, Quite Close” as Want to Read:
In Malice, Quite Close

In Malice, Quite Close

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  67 reviews
A haunting and sophisticated debut in which priceless art and unspeakable desires converge.

French ex-pat Tristan Mourault is the wealthy, urbane heir to a world- renowned collection of art-and an insatiable voyeur enamored with Karen Miller, a fifteen-year-old girl from a working-class family in San Francisco. Deciding he must "rescue" Karen from her unhappy circumstance
Published August 4th 2011 by Viking Adult

To ask other readers questions about In Malice, Quite Close, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Malice, Quite Close

Nancy
I don't even know how to review this book! It is multi-layered and not straight-forward in any way. Ultimately, I believe the author is using the complex characters in the book to dispel the idea of truth being the only reality when "truth" does not necessarily exist except in the mind of the interpreter.

It is a disturbing story that is artfully told. I honestly could not put the book down. In fact, like art, interpretation is very personal and represents a culmination of a person's experiences
Kathryn
Mar 01, 2012 Kathryn marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
The cover of this book is great! I can't wait to get and to read it...
Kyrsten
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this rather large novel. The title itself was intriguing enough that I had to at least scan the first page. Once I had, as the cliche would go, I hardly put it down.

I really mean no offense when I say that in all of the books I've won through giveaways I never really expected to find one so profound. Perhaps it is my absolute adoration for the artistic world, such was awakened in me during my Honors Art Appreciation class, or even my vague knowledge of th
Irina
Sep 04, 2011 Irina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Irina by: Goodreads Book Giveaway
This novel left me entirely in awe. The complexity of the plot, the depths of the characters, and the beautiful use of language, themes, and imagery absolutely captivated me. The story itself was a gorgeously crafted labyrinth that sprawled through obsession, jealousy, self-examination, self-denial, beauty, and art. Each path of the different plot elements flowed seamlessly into one another yet still retained enough of their own uniqueness that none of them felt over used or repetitive. I loathe ...more
Sara Snelling
I am afraid to pick up another book too soon after this one, for fear that it might be much like chasing a fine wine with a pasty toothbrush- letting it linger a bit seems far more attractive. I will say, admittedly, that I was contemplating moving on to another book a bit after the initial excitement had faded- what a mistake that would have been. The story here is great, and full of savory characters and exciting twists, but the language here is the real winner. I praise Brandi Lynn Ryder for ...more
Kristen
Absolutely magnificent.

Ryder's debut novel is simply outstanding. The premise is intriguing and disturbing, the writing lush and sensual. In the end, this story is about obsession... just not in the ways in which we are lead to believe at the outset.

To discuss it too much is to give too much away. This is a novel to be savored, if you possibly can. It's a serious page-turner, a fantastic mystery. The characters are fully developed, and lovely to behold. Gisele, in particular, is a mirror.

My onl
Eric Richards
This is one for those who like a little thinking with their suspense. It is a "literary-commercial" crossover book - which just means that it's a page turned filled with characters that have been fleshed out to the point where you get to know them, and they stay with you long after you finish the book.

Filled with interesting characters, plots twists, and even out-loud moments where you go, "OMG!". (I love it when a book can do that to me)

There are tons of great reviews out there for In Malice,
Robin
An ex-pat Frenchman living in San Francisco becomes obsessed with a 15-year-old girl and “rescues” her from what he thinks is an abusive family. Years later they are living the good life in the idyllic tourist town of Devon, Washington but secrets and twists abound. Yes, it was odd and rather creepy but there were revelations around every corner that kept me glued.
Krissie
I won this book on goodreads from Viking and I am very thankful.

The first chapter will get you hooked.

I would highly suggest this book. All of the lies and betrayls are mixed with what the characters think love is. A great book that kept me guessing until the very end.
Agnes Mack
In Malice, Quite Close by Brandi Lynn Ryder is one of the tensest books I've ever read. Not only did Ms. Ryder manage to keep me guessing about who-done-it, she kept me guessing about what they'd done. This intricate novel covered decades of time and at every twist there was a turn and where you thought there would be a turn you found a brick wall, except that brick wall turned out to to be a trick wall, except, wait, is that even brick? And who's that guy over there with the shovel?

In the ha
Caitlin
Rimbaud was one of the heroes of my late adolescence - Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Oscar Wilde, Aubrey Beardsley - what bookish teenager wouldn't love their decadent romanticism. I mention this because the title of In Malice, Quite Close is taken from a poem by Rimbaud and the book itself absolutely delivers on the promise of its title in elegance, perversity, and decadent suspense.

Ms. Ryder has a talent for writing characters that you believe in and root for, even when somewhere a tiny voice in your h
Marla Mendenhall
There is craft, the ability to take the tools of one's trade and make a skillful, technically accurate rendition. And then there is art. Art is that cinematic moment when not a specific image stands out on its own but yet has awakened your senses to an overwhelming experience. It is the soundtrack that draws not singular attention but in blending itself to the visual moment ignites and explodes your emotions. It is the canvas that with indeterminate color mixture and indistinguishable brush stro ...more
Gayle
Life Imitates Art

On the same day Brandi Lynn Ryder’s In Malice Quite Close found its way to me, I read a news article about a missing fifteen-year-old girl. Something led the authorities to believe she’d left home willingly in the company of a sex offender who is in his 30s. This item erased my questions concerning how a young girl could just disappear without being taken against her will.
This is somewhat a disturbing story told in a superbly written way that keeps you turning the pages.
Kare
Christine Durkin
Wow!!!! This is her first book and I can't imagine how she'll be able to top it, (but I bet she will). Where did this woman come from? I think she'll be an author that quickly joins the ranks of Anita Shreve, Elizabeth Berg, Anne Tyler, and Alice Hoffman and then completely blow them away.

I'm really picky, I usually bale on a book if it doesn't really hook me with its writing style within the first chapter, (so anything I review, I'm going to give at least four stars.

I fear I may have to adjust
PopcornReads
In Malice, Quite Close: Book Review & Book Giveaway

“I have come to see I’m incapable of drawing clear moral distinctions. For me the question of what can and cannot be done has never been an ethical one. There is no line I cannot smudge with my thumb…I have always been undone by beautiful things, and it might be said that beauty itself was my quarry.” Tristan Mourault

Tristan Mourault is a wealthy French ex-pat living in New York, who is heir to a world renowned art collection he can never re
Angela
While browsing the new book rack at the public library, I stumbled across this gem. The title was very intriguing to me because I had no idea of the book's content based on the title. After reading the jacket flap, i knew this was right up my alley. This book kept me up all night AND kept me guessing right until the very end! It was refreshing to not be able to immediately solve the mystery. With such complex characters and relationships,I found myself rereading to ensure I didn't miss something ...more
Connie Grover
This is absolutely the best psychological mystery I have ever read. I listened to it rather than read it, and I think for once this enhanced the story, as the narrator had a talent for using the accents appropriate to each character. I won't say a thing to give this away, but I can't get the story or the characters out of my head.
Mona Bomgaars

Book moved from repulsive sections to fascinating sections. I would just decide to stop reading when a more engaging section would start. In general though could not recommend and didn't even retain for the annual book sale. My copy was left in a pensione in Florence.
Linda
I'd have a hard time describing the story accurately: mystery, psychological study, pathological obsession, child abuse, art. I would recommend it, and am considering suggesting it to my book group.
Kathy Gray
This book was awsome. I won it on a goodreads giveaway. I thought this ws a great book. It had a lot of twists and turns and a really surprising end.
Emily
I absolutely loved this book! Keeps you guessing till the end =D
Jamie
I thought this book was really well written, with attention to detail and many elements of mystery. There are a lot of details given, but just as many things that you question and are curious about. However, since this book is basically about a child abduction by an older predator it is also very disturbing. There is a lot of spying, lying, controlling, and inappropriate relations. I would recommend the book on the merit of the writing, but cautious about recommending it because of the subject m ...more
Rachel
I won an ARC copy of this book, which was awesome. Thanks Goodreads!

I was first intrigued by the title, which I soon learned came from a poem. This poem was mentioned within the story a few times. The title fits the book extremely well.

This story is full of terrible things. Obsession, lies, murder, forgery, and so on. I was hooked from the very first page. As I read on, I quickly discovered how many layers there were to this story. I kept discovering something new (and usually disturbing) about
LORI CASWELL
Tristan Mourault, a Frenchman, and heir to a world renowned art collection featuring Impressionist masterpieces loses himself when sees young Karen Miller in San Francisco. He immediately decides he must have her and lets nothing deter him from that mission. The fact that she is only 15 is inconsequential, he believes he is saving her from the fate of the family she was born into. He does everything he can to win her trust and then makes the calculated plan for her disappearance. Within days Kar ...more
Kandice
Sheila
This is a sleazy novel. It's also a novel I couldn't get out of my head--I kept thinking about the characters when I wasn't reading (or actually listening, since this was an audiobook).

The book is about predators and malice (as the title indicates). There are two types of characters in this novel: sociopath predators (alpha males), and prey (women, children, less dominant males). If you're not one of the three dominant men, you're being deceived, trapped, used, lied to, manipulated, etc. How can
Cheryl
Karen was just fifteen when her life was turned upside down and changed forever. Karen was just minding her own business reading a book and drinking coffee when she had her first encounter with Tristan. Soon afterwards, Tristan was showing up at all the same places that Karen hung out. Finally, Tristan could not stand it anymore and he kidnapped Karen and faked her death. Tristan and Karen became Tristan and Giese. Lovers behind closed doors and father and daughter to the public eye. Things unra ...more
LuAnn
This book could only be described as eerie. It’s outright spine-chilling, with its sinister and disturbing theme. Not for the weak at heart, this book is very vivid as it takes the reader in a different kind of world where the rich are capable of getting exactly what they desire, regardless of the consequences to others. Absolutely fascinating, the story delves into the minds of the mentally disturbed, as well as the frightening effects of sexual perversions.

The story revolves around adult Trist
Mark
In a modern day scenario lifted straight from Nabakov’s “Lolita,” we are transported to New England where Frenchman Tristan Mouralt has installed his new love, Gisele, a fifteen-year old teenager with stars in her eyes and adventure in her heart. As in the afore mentioned novel a young girl is seduced and plied with sexual favors, had her name changed and poses as the daughter rather than the lover of a man much too old for her amorous attention.
Not an original plot line and one that Europeans a
Terri
'In Malice, Quite Close' by Brandi Lynn Ryder is an adventure through a series of lies, deceit and love. Tristan Mourault, a French ex-patriot, finds himself in San Francisco in 1979. It is here he meets Karen Miller, a fifteen year old girl with wide eyes and a need to escape. Tristan feels it is his duty to rescue the young lady from her life, so he fakes her death and whisks her away to an artist's paradise. But this story doesn't end there.

On the surface, this book started to feel like an e
  • If Thy Right Hand
  • You Believers
  • Luminarium
  • The Vices
  • Fifth Victim (Charlie Fox Thriller, #9)
  • Jade Lady Burning (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #1)
  • The Sixes
  • The Diviner's Tale
  • The Summer of Dead Toys
  • An Accident in August
  • Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot (Hailey's War #2)
  • In Search of the Rose Notes
  • Memento & Following
  • Cherished
  • The Lies You Told Me
  • The May Queen: Women on Life, Love, Work, and Pulling It All Together in Your 30s
  • Northwest Corner
  • The Mindset Lists of American History: From Typewriters to Text Messages, What Ten Generations of Americans Think Is Normal

“Far more perversions arise from repression than from expression” 0 likes