The Kindling Heart (The Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance Series, #1)

The Kindling Heart (The Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Published (first published April 10th 2011)

Dark Lover by J.R. WardThe Duke and I by Julia QuinnSecrets of a Summer Night by Lisa KleypasMine Till Midnight by Lisa KleypasOutlander by Diana Gabaldon
Best Romance Series
335th out of 568 books — 1,079 voters
Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsDuncan's Bride by Linda HowardThe Bride by Julie GarwoodTexas Destiny by Lorraine HeathSilver Lining by Maggie Osborne
Mail Order Brides and Arranged Marriages
153rd out of 167 books — 211 voters

More lists with this book...

Shannon Mayer
Ruan MacLeod was through with women. They were nothing but trouble. Leaving the rash life of his youth behind, he returned to Skye, seeking peace. He never meant to split the clan or start a war with the MacDonald of Duntulm. He certainly never foresaw an arranged marriage to the most scandalous woman in Scotland. Even though she was twice his age, the size of a horse and mother to more than one illegitimate child, he agreed to secure his sister’s freedom.

However, even that plan goes drasticall...more
Kathy
Overall, I enjoyed this one. I liked our main characters Ruan and Bree, and I’m a sucker for an arrange marriage story line. Ruan had a rakish past, but saw the error of his ways and had become a pretty moral man over the years. He is manipulated into a marriage with Bree, who was escaping from the only home she knew and ironically another arranged marriage when she is tricked into marrying Ruan. Neither trusts one another and it takes awhile for a friendship to grow. At first, I thought Bree’s...more
Brenda
I enjoyed this free books so much I bought the second book in the series. I love Scottish books
Terri
Ho hum. It was ok. It felt a little like this was a self-published book. The heroine had no real voice. She was 'shy' and hence spoke very little throughout the story (external dialogue, nor internal dialogue). The author rushed through some plot elements at break-neck speed, leaving me wanting more details and more development, but spend oodles and oodles of time in other parts of the story that could have been told with more efficiency. For me, this book just didn't have a good road map, nor a...more
Bluejay44
Got this as a freebie recently and it leapt straight up to the top of my TBR mountain. I love historical novels and was not disappointed with this one. Am so glad to find that there will be others in the series, I am definitely not ready to say goodbye to Bree, Ruan and the rest of the clan.
Ashley Lavering
Loved this historical romance. There are some adult scenes but they are short and modestly done for a romance. The plot was so cool and I loved the tension between the two characters! for 18+ years old.
Angie Cornelison
I really enjoyed this little gem of a book. I love a good romance and this did not disappoint! I liked it so much I'm ordering the next one in the series.
Suzan Tisdale
This was one of the very first "Scottish Romance" novels that I ever read. This is the one that got me hooked! ;o) It remains one of my favorites.
Kristin
I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting and a quick read. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Nic
This was awful.
Zoe Saadia
Two weeks in the magic of the highlands

For two wonderful weeks I was thrown back in time, into the magic of the Highlands.
The Kindling Heart had managed to take me far, far away, into the times and the places I was hardly familiar with. The amazingly detailed, yet flowing descriptions made me feel as if actually visiting the 16th century’s Scotland, enveloping me with the wonders of those long-forgotten times, but at the same time not making the reality into too clean or too pretty.

The Kindling...more
Judy
Set in the background of the court of King James III, the Earl of Lennox, Cameron Stewart, has had 7 politically arranged marriages but never bedded any of his wives. He believes himself to be cursed and thinks that anyone he aligns himself with in romance and marriage will be doomed to an untimely end. Thus, he decides to forego any and all hopes of having a true love, much less a real marriage. That is, until he meets the delightful Kate Ferguson.

Kate is an amazing little lady with hope and ch...more
Ronni
I actually stayed up into the wee hours of the morning to finish this book. It was a stubborn decision; reading this novel was akin to watching a train derail, I suppose. Confession: I love great literature; I read constantly, but every now and then I love a guilty pleasure. My guilty pleasure is reading historical romances, especially those set in the Scottish Highlands. My husband and I jokingly call the genre: "Throbbing Loins."

Did Ms. Caine self-publish? She must have, because it's obvious t...more
Sandra
Bree and Ruan. Bree is unwanted and beaten by her stepfather; Ruan is forced to marry Bree by family to avoid a feud. Ruan goes to enemy klan to bring home his 10-year old sister whom his brother has married off to another klan. She had been beaten. Ruan's brother Tormond vows to take Bree and "Get her with child". Too many "ach"s; almost no dialog, almost none between Bree and Ruan-she spends her whole time so skittish as to be completely ridiculous. With little to no conversation between then,...more
bookreader88
This was a nice highland romance book. The characters were likable and I never wanted to slap them across the face. The story itself was a nice blend of sweet/touching moments, action, and humor. I did struggle a bit initially with all the names. It was easy to blend people together. However, as the story progressed and each character developed I was able to distinguish them. I would certainly recommend this for anyone who enjoys Scottish historical romance.
Donna
3.5 Stars. I love it when an h can rise above it. There were some things that really bothered me about the was certain characters acted, but I got over it, kinda. Enough that I will continue with the next book.
Sparrow
This was a fantastic read. A few errors in the writing, but nothing that would deter from the reading. Truly an enjoying read.
Tracyk
Hmm this one for me is in-between OK & i liked it. I kinda skimmed over some parts.
Pat
I thoroughly enjoyed this book...read it in one day. I immediately bought several other kindle books by Carmen Caine. I loved the romance and the danger and the characters, the time period, but one of the most enjoyable aspects of this books is that, while there was plenty of romance and romantic tension, the most private moments of husband and wife were not explored in depth with unnecessary details. For me, this is so much more enjoyable. However, the tension is enough that I personally would...more
Juuli
Beautiful and romantic story. I loved Bree's journey from abused girl to independent woman. And of course Ruan, the hero of the story, was just amazing. All the characters were very well written. I felt bad reading about Merry's suffering and confusion, cried a little because of Jenna's loss and really truly hated the villains of the story. Yes, I hoped some of them would die painfully.
Only for a moment in the middle of the story I was annoyed because of Bree's attitude but later she proved to b...more
Melissa
I loved this book. It has been a long time since a book pulled me. It felt like I was there. She written this book very well. It had me crying at the beginning for Bree and then laughing as Bree was trying to leave Ruan and her antic's on how she tried to leave. Then it had me crying for Merry and what she went through also had me laughing at the way she started treating Ruan because she was scared she was loosing her brothers love to Bree. I would highly recommend this book to anyone. I can't w...more
Amanda Richardson
I liked this book okay, but it did have some problems. I think another review noted that the heroine never spoke to the hero, that was weird. And there was this "past" that the author kept alluding to for the hero, but the reader never really learned what it was.

Not steamy at all and it took them forever to get together. And how many times can one heroine be bed ridden for a week or two?

I would give another book by the author a try, this did keep my interest and I cared enough to find out how t...more
Steph
Cute..want read the next one.
Charity Parkerson
Bree hopes to escape an arranged marriage by seeking sanctuary with her father, and finds herself landing in another arranged marriage instead.
Ruan Macleod is done with women, but when he starts a war with MacDonald of Duntulum, he winds up married to an enticing woman who turns his life upside down.
I really enjoyed this story, and I am all about a Scottish Romance, so this book did not disappoint. The sexual tension between Ruan and Bree will keep you turning the pages all the way to the end.
♫Angielee♫
2.....3.....2 stars I can't decide...

While this book kept me reading....I was often annoyed. I think I kept reading because I wanted to see what happened when these two finally stopped being stupid and got together. However, THEY WERE SO STUPID!! The author had Bree acting like the dubest little twit at times and that drove me crazy, but I couldn't stop reading which also drove me nuts!

2 stars for the characters
3 stars for keeping me interested somehow
Victoria Newman
Is a great book to read
Penny Gallaway
I'm a sucker for Scottish romance and this book was ok for me. I wish Bree would have stood her ground a little faster and spoke a little more but given that her character was somewhat broken from the start, I feel that she could have found a voice a little quicker. But I guess it was good enough for me to want to read the second book which I enjoyed much more than the first.
« Crystal »
This was so painful. My first attempt to read this had me stopping at Chapter 11... It was a PIFM choice for this month so I gave it a go from the beginning to see if maybe I changed and I could like it somewhat better.... GAG... It was awful. I so wanted to stop but I forced myself to read it. I didn't like it at all. It was just ridiculous.
Miriam
Sep 05, 2012 Miriam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I am a sucker for historical romances. Add to that a handsome and fearless Highland warrior and a fiery young lass and I'm hooked! Maybe it is the Scottish brogue that makes it all the more delicious.
Justyna
I was a little bit disappointed as I expected more from this book but I liked Carmen Caine's writing so 3 stars.It also didn't discourage me from grasping a second book in the series.
  • Highland Barbarian (Highlander Series)
  • The MacKinnon's Bride (The Highland Brides, # 1)
  • Daring the Highlander (The Legacy of MacLeod, #2)
  • Warrior's Bride (The Stones of Destiny, #2)
  • Laiden's Daughter (Clan MacDougall, #1)
  • The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)
  • Plaid to the Bone (Spirit of the Highlands, #0.5)
  • Angel of Skye (MacPherson Clan, #1)
  • His Conquest (MacGruder Brothers, #3)
  • Legacy
  • Possessed By The Highlander (The MacLerie, #3)
  • Highland Captive (Sisters by Choice, #1)
  • Master of Paradise
  • Marti Talbott's Highlander Series 1 (Anna, Rachel & Charlet)
  • The Warrior's Wife
  • Perfect Strangers (The Scots, #1)
  • Wed to a Highland Warrior (The Warrior King, #4)
  • Blood For Ink (Scarlet Plumiere, #1)
Like many of us on this planet, Carmen Caine/Madison Adler is from another world. She spends every moment she can scribbling stories on sticky notes that her kids find posted all over the car, house, and barn.

When she is not working as a software engineer, she is busy ferrying her kids to various appointments, writing lyrics for her husband's songs, taking care of the dog Tigger and his heart con...more
More about Carmen Caine...
The Bedeviled Heart (The Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance Series, #2) The Brotherhood of the Snake (Return of the Ancients, #2) The Bold Heart (The Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance Series) The Daring Heart (The Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance Series, #3) The Inner Circle, Book 3 of the Glass Wall ( A YA Urban Fantasy Romance )