Start by marking “The Sandman, Vol. 7: Brief Lives (The Sandman, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Sandman, Vol. 7: Brief Lives (The Sandman, #7)

The Sandman, Vol. 7: Brief Lives (The Sandman #7)

4.55  ·  Rating Details ·  40,197 Ratings  ·  923 Reviews
Dream's youngest sister, the loopy Delirium, convinces him to go on a quest for their missing brother, Destruction. But Dream may learn that the cost of finding his prodigal sibling is more than he can bear. collecting The Sandman #41–49
Paperback, Fully Remastered Edition, 241 pages
Published December 13th 2011 by Vertigo (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandman, Vol. 7, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Alejandro
Aug 05, 2014 Alejandro rated it really liked it
A mad journey about change.

Creative Team:

Writer: Neil Gaiman

Illustrators: Jill Thompson & Vince Locke

Covers: Dave McKean

Letterer: Todd Klein

COINS, BUTTERFLIES, PONdS, QUESTS & FAMILIES

In the review about the sixth volume, Fables & Reflections, I recommended that it was better to read the introduction after reading the TPB, and surprising enough in this seventh volume, Brief Lives, they just decided to putt he introduction at the end of the TPB. Curiouser and curiouser. Oh, and re
Brad
What is really a road trip is really a helluvalot more than just a roadtrip when Dream and Delirium search for their long lost brother of change, Destruction.

Nothing is quite as funny and quirky in these Graphic Novels like Delirium, and nobody is quite as quietly disturbing, deep down. How does one need to so completely retreat from Delight by willingly throwing oneself into deepest madness? *shiver*

I really loved this volume. Things change.

The other most memorable and thought-provoking storie
Algernon
Sep 03, 2013 Algernon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, comics

Fasten you seatbelts, folks! It's going to be a bumpy ride!
Watch out! Delirium is behind the wheel and she's looking for Destruction!

delirium driving

She misses her brother, the one that got away: Donde esta mi hermano? She stares at the world with two mismatched eyes: one emerald green, the other pale blue through which silver flecks flicker and swim like a shoal of tiny fish. . The Endless are a family, but what's a good word for 'disfunctional'? Is Delirium the only one who really cares? Who's going to
Bill  Kerwin

This volume is one tale, one quest. Delirium (one of the less frequently seen of the Endless Family) misses her brother Destruction intensely and is determined to find him. Desire and Despair refuse to join her, but she does persuade Dream. Their quest takes them from a travel office in Dublin, Ireland to a strip club called Suffragette City, from the Palace of Bast, Queen and Goddess of Cats to the Temple of Orpheus (where the head of the bard still lives), and finally toward the island retreat
Kᴇᴇ Queen
Brief Lives was personally perfect in every way. It was the volume of The Sandman that solidified my love for the entire series. Not only was it a sublime story about brevity and forgiveness; it was an affirmation of what the Endless was supposed to stand for (and all seven of them too, because we finally get to meet the prodigal sibling who abandoned the responsibilities of his realm). Jill Thompson is the collaborative artist for this volume, and hers are my most favorite depictions of the End ...more
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
The great thing about this volume is that it is all about The Endless, aka the Sandman's family. Death, Desire, Despair, Destruction, Delirium... they all make appearances. The main story is that Delirium asks Dream to help her find their brother, Destruction, who has disappeared for 300 years.

Delirium is like a younger version of Tori Amos on acid.

There is even a Tori Amos song playing in the background of a club Delirium goes to in the beginning, when she is trying to find family members to h
Brooke
Jul 20, 2009 Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coming off the least interesting volume in the series (The Sandman Vol. 6 Fables and Reflections), Brief Lives was a welcome high point. Delerium wants to look for Destruction, who left the Endless family and disappeared 300 years prior. Dream is the only sibling who agrees to accompany her; he doesn't want to find Destruction, but he does want to take his mind off a love affair that just ended.

Delerium was what made Brief Lives. She is absolutely charming and hilarious, and the interactions bet
Stuart
Sandman, Vol 7: Brief Lives: Even the Endless must change
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature
After the stand-alone story collection Vol 6: Fables and Reflections, Vol 7: Brief Lives brings the focus back on Morpheus’ dysfunctional family, the Endless. For a group of avatars representing some fundamental concepts that underpin human existence (but only those that start with ‘D’), they can’t seem to get along or understand each other much of the time. So it’s no surprise they also have trouble
Char
This entry in the series was different from the others in that the entire volume was the continuation of one story-the search for the missing member of the Endless-Destruction.

We also get to see the final story of Orpheus, Dream's (Morpheus') son. It was a very sad note to end on, or was it? I felt a little bit of hopefulness that perhaps Orpheus was finally reunited with Eurydice after years of suffering.

This volume also had a nice afterword from Peter Straub that I enjoyed.

I thought this was y
Panagiotis
Jun 28, 2017 Panagiotis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ο Γκέιμαν σα να προετοιμάζει τον αναγνώστη για το τέλος. Έτσι κάπως εξέλαβα τα λόγια ένος από τους Αθανάτους, ο οποίος αποσύρθηκε γιατί ο ολοένα εξελισσόμενος κόσμος δεν έχει ανάγκη πια τα σύμβολα και τα υπαρξιακά μοτίβα που ο ίδιος και τα αδέρφια του εκπροσωπούν. Κάτι που δείχνει να μην θέλει να καταλάβει ο Άρχων των Ονείρων, αλλά ούτε κι εγώ μαζί του.

Ο τόμος αυτός είναι ποικιλλοτρόπως δραματικός, περιστρέφεται γύρω από τα θέμα της αλλαγής που διέπει την πλάση, και που έρχεται αντιμέτωπη με την
Teresa
Jan 26, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it
Though this volume starts and ends with a "modern" take on the Orpheus myth, it mostly deals with the Endless siblings. The rendering of Delirium is sometimes sad but mostly hilarious, and though 'change' has not been kind to her (she was once Delight), she's the impetus for a journey to find Destruction, the most "human" of the siblings.

I think I enjoyed the side-stories (the consequences of their trip) more than the interaction of the siblings themselves, though those latter scenes are the mo
Rebecca Skane
Dec 08, 2016 Rebecca Skane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Of the Endless, brother Destruction is missing. Delirium has lost it (not that she ever had it) and wants to find him. Despair and Desire turn her down, but Dream agrees to go on the quest. It ends up costing him more than he expects. One of my favorite volumes.
Ronyell
Apr 21, 2012 Ronyell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Neil Gaiman's Sandman series!!!
After reading the sixth volume of Neil Gaiman’s famous “Sandman” series, I just had to keep reading more and more of this fantastic series! For the past six volumes of the “Sandman” series, we have been reading about mainly Dream’s (Morpheus’) side of the story, but now in the seventh volume, “Brief Lives,” we are finally reading about Dream’s other siblings, mainly the youngest sibling of the Endless, Delirium, and how she tries to convince Dream to help her find their missing brother, Destruct ...more
Alyssa
Sep 19, 2012 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
I hope I don't come across sounding like a fanboy, but the thesis of my review is this: WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE READING THIS SERIES? For that matter, why aren't more people talking about this series? Seriously, why did it take a random conversation with a Facebook friend for me to hear about this series for the first time? Especially considering that one of my most intellectual and well-read friends apparently adores this series? Or the fact that this series has won all sorts of incredibly presti ...more
Javier Muñoz
Otro gran tomo de Sandman. En este arco argumental Delirio, una de las hermanas de Sueño, le pide que le ayude a buscar al hermano perdido de ambos, así acompañamos a ambos en un viaje en busca de Destrucción, intentando seguir su rastro a través de antiguos conocidos, seres mitológicos o simplemente ancianos con los que compartió momentos a lo largo de la historia.

Este es un arco más anclado en el mundo real contemporáneo, aunque nos permite saber más acerca de las relaciones de los eternos ent
Siria
Apr 26, 2008 Siria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this is one to wallow in. I loved the interaction between Delirium and Dream - Dream's terseness and Delerium's ramblings which always seem to have an odd kind of sense to them contrast so nicely. Their two very different personalities also serve to nicely point out the Really Big Dysfunctionality of their family.

And Ishtar! With the temple prostitution! A scene in Dublin that is recognisably taking place on O' Connell Street! Hades and Persephone! And Destruction, who tries so hard to creat
Ithil
Nov 14, 2014 Ithil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este tomo me ha gustado mucho. A pesar de que tengo la sensación de haber escrito esto mismo ya en otras pequeñas reviews del mismo.

En este caso de lo que llevo es de mis favoritos. Me fascina ir conociendo cada vez un poco más a la familia de los Eternos. Es genial ir conociendo un poco de cada uno de ellos, e ir viendo sus peculiaridades.
En especial, me ha encantado la relación de Sueño y Delirio a lo largo de este tomo y el viaje de ambos. Como empieza y como acaba. En general es que antes
♥ℇmm♥
I plan to write a wordy, obnoxiously-eloquent review on this one day. Eventually.

For the time being, I'll say two things : A) That cover is boss. The one with the skeleton, if you're looking at a different edition.
And B) If you've read the series this far and liked it, you will probably love this one. If you've read the series this far and hated it, why are you on the seventh book, anyway?
El
Dec 27, 2014 El rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far my favorite of the issues thus far. I enjoy all of them that involve the Endless mythos, focusing on their stories; this is just the first that really involves all of them individually and interacting with one another, so we get a real grasp on all of their personalities and relationships with one another.

This story primarily revolves around the youngest sister, Delirium (formerly known as Delight), and Dream who, against his better judgment, allows Del to convince him to join her on a qu
David Schaafsma
Nov 21, 2014 David Schaafsma rated it it was amazing
This is about the Endless family and a quest where Dream and Delirium seek Destruction, their brother, and Dream also seeks the lover who has rejected him. The conclusion of the Orpheus arc happens in this issue and is pretty powerful. I guess the central theme here is the inevitability of change. Death plays a pretty central role in this one, yay. One interlude takes place in a strip club called Suffragette City. Pretty terrific stuff, I thought.
Cheese
Aug 11, 2015 Cheese rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gaiman has some incredible imagination to
Write this. That's the best thing about Sandman, however, I found this chapter difficult to pick up. It's been a bit of a slog but it seems to get moving towards the end.
Beth
My shorter, spoiler-free review first: I’ve given 5 stars to two of the earlier volumes, but this is probably my very favorite. The title indicates the theme of this volume: the briefness of life, even for the very long-lived; and change in general, and the characters’ resistance to it. The first few issues are very meandering, in a fun way, but the second half becomes pretty intense as important things start to fall into place. The Endless are at the heart of this volume, but this version of th ...more
Liz
Best Volume so far.

Dream/Morpheus/the Sandman/the Dreamking goes on a quest with his younger sister Delirium, together they search for Destruction, their brother who left 300 years ago and whom everyone else refused to search for.
Primarily, Dream hopes to just distract himself on this quest, but as he proceeds, as he dives deeper with Delirium into their past and into their present Dream realises that there are two sides of a coin, and one always has to pay a price...

In contrast to the previou
Sam
Nov 07, 2016 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Roadtrip with Dream and Delirium. It's great.

“DE
Jeff
Jan 08, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
As I stated awhile ago, these graphic novels are all good or great, and continuous reviews would be repetitive, so I am not going to bother putting lengthy reviews up. These just need to be read by all. They are great.
Linda
Jan 29, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I think this is my favorite volume so far. Spending so much time with Delirium was quite the ride!
Bryan
Mar 30, 2017 Bryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Five big stars for my favorite volume of The Sandman yet. I was told, somewhere around volume 3, that the comic gets better from there - volume by volume. So far, that has been absolutely true. Gaiman hit his stride with The Sandman a few volumes ago and has kept right on walking. He is a talented writer, with a whole host of talented artists, letterers, editors and others alongside him. Mix all this together and you have one heck of a comic book.

In this volume Delirium of the Endless, and sist
Viktoria
Jul 14, 2017 Viktoria rated it it was amazing
i think the best so far
Petruška Macháčková
Nejlepší, nejlepší, nejlepší!
Cleverusername2
Brief Lives is my favorite of the Sandman collections mainly because I started reading individual issues of this arc as my introduction to the series back in 1993, so it holds nostalgic value for me. Perhaps this makes me biased but I think it makes a good introduction to the Sandman series even though it takes place over halfway through the original serial run. Gaiman had really hit his stride. A few points make it a good point of entry, such as its linear plot arc and because of all the storyl ...more
  • Lucifer, Vol. 3: A Dalliance With the Damned
  • Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 4: A Murder of Crows
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 6: Gouge Away (Transmetropolitan, #6)

The Sandman (10 books)
  • Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman #1)
  • The Doll's House (The Sandman #2)
  • Dream Country (The Sandman #3)
  • Season of Mists (The Sandman #4)
  • A Game of You (The Sandman #5)
  • Fables and Reflections (The Sandman #6)
  • Worlds' End (The Sandman #8)
  • The Kindly Ones (The Sandman #9)
  • The Wake (The Sandman #10)

“I like the stars. It's the illusion of permanence, I think. I mean, they're always flaring up and caving in and going out. But from here, I can pretend...I can pretend that things last. I can pretend that lives last longer than moments. Gods come, and gods go. Mortals flicker and flash and fade. Worlds don't last; and stars and galaxies are transient, fleeting things that twinkle like fireflies and vanish into cold and dust. But I can pretend...” 1022 likes
“You know the best thing about aeroplanes? Apart from the peanuts in the little silver bags, I mean.

It's looking out of the windows at the clouds, and thinking, maybe I could go walking in there. Maybe it's a special place where everything's okay.

Sometimes I do go walking in the clouds, but it's just cold and wet and empty. But when you look out of a plane it's a special world... and I like that.”
165 likes