Start by marking “True Vision” as Want to Read:
True Vision

True Vision

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  503 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Featuring the artwork of over 25 leading artists with name recognition As art journaling grows in popularity (even attracting a new breed of scrapbookers who call themselves "life artists"), there is a movement afoot toward creating more authentic, personal, what some people call "raw" journals. These journals are filled with not just attractive, well-composed pages, but p ...more
Published February 9th 2011 by Quarry Books (first published July 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about True Vision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Vision

Aimeslee
I bought and read this book to see if any of the featured artists could interest me in any new outlooks, and for me I found some. What I got out of this book is that Ludwig wrote this in order to try to capture the what and why of creating authentic art journaling for these artists. Again, the title tells everything, and being the dense boo-bob that I am, I immediately saw that...right after I finished the book, lol.

I was very affected by what I discovered from and about featured artist Katie Ke
Jamie
I appreciated the blurbs from several journalers along with their example pages, but the formatting of this book seemed too bland for my taste. Still, it has lots of prompts and exercises to try.
liberal sprinkles
This book provides an indepth look at how we can art journal with more passion and intent. LK Ludwig gives great advice and suggestions on how we can get started, get new ideas and boost our creativity as we journal about things that are important to us. On nearly every page, she includes interesting and often refreshing prompts to get the reader thinking about life, personal artistic preferences, techniques and sometimes just thinking out of the box.

With approachable and insightful writing, she
liberal sprinkles

With approachable and insightful writing, she
Lisa
I checked this book out from the library, and I've enjoyed it so much, I might need to buy a copy. This was a great into to art journaling for me. Being a writer, not a visual artist, I found the prompts effective and inspiring. The focus is not technical (how to reproduce someone else's style) but liberating (how to discover one's own style). Lots of useful "extras" throughout.
Kate
If you have gotten stuck in your art journaling, this book has lots of examples, prompts, etc. to help you get going again.
Paula
I enjoyed the visuals of this book - LK's nature journals are intriguing eye candy and made me want to make one (or several) of my own. But the instructions are sketchy at best, and there were very few techniques in there that I'd be able to do with the sparse and undetailed instructions throughout the book.
Tammy
A worthwhile read. The ideas in the book spark curiosity and the artwork is lovely. There are a lot of inventive concepts and the book is fun to read. There is a focus on mixed media and altered books rather than purely art journal pages.
Tiffiny
I really like the quality of this book and how they do not tell you how to art journal, but how to discover your own way of art journaling! Nice sharp pictures and good detail.
Pascale
A worthwhile well-illustrated book about art journaling, with detailed explanations of visual techniques used.
Tena
I really like L.K. Ludwig's artwork and approach to art journaling. Love the approach and content, very inspiring.
Ericka
GREAT resource for art therapists, or anyone making altered books.
Annie
very juicy; tons to be inspired by :)
Louise Carlson Stowell
Louise Carlson Stowell marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Kevin J Ryan
Kevin J Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Natasa
Natasa marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Nora Walsh
Nora Walsh marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Carolina Lins
Carolina Lins marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Di
Di marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Jennifer is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Experimental Techniques for Composition, Layering, Texture, Imagery, and Encaustic
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Beyond the Unexpected--New Techniques Using Color, Personal Imagery and Creative Surfaces
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
Creative Wildfire: An Introduction to Art Journaling - Basics and Beyond Mixed-Media Nature Journals Collaborative Art Journals and Shared Visions in Mixed Media Mixed-Media Nature Journals: New Techniques for Exploring Nature, Life, and Memories