Start by marking “True Vision” as Want to Read:
True Vision

True Vision

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  588 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Featuring the artwork of over 25 leading artists with name recognition As art journaling grows in popularity (even attracting a new breed of scrapbookers who call themselves "life artists"), there is a movement afoot toward creating more authentic, personal, what some people call "raw" journals. These journals are filled with not just attractive, well-composed pages, but p ...more
Published February 9th 2011 by Quarry Books (first published July 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about True Vision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Vision

Aimeslee
Feb 07, 2011 Aimeslee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-paper-arts
I bought and read this book to see if any of the featured artists could interest me in any new outlooks, and for me I found some. What I got out of this book is that Ludwig wrote this in order to try to capture the what and why of creating authentic art journaling for these artists. Again, the title tells everything, and being the dense boo-bob that I am, I immediately saw that...right after I finished the book, lol.

I was very affected by what I discovered from and about featured artist Katie Ke
Lisa
Jul 05, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic
I checked this book out from the library, and I've enjoyed it so much, I might need to buy a copy. This was a great into to art journaling for me. Being a writer, not a visual artist, I found the prompts effective and inspiring. The focus is not technical (how to reproduce someone else's style) but liberating (how to discover one's own style). Lots of useful "extras" throughout.
Jamie
Nov 15, 2014 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I appreciated the blurbs from several journalers along with their example pages, but the formatting of this book seemed too bland for my taste. Still, it has lots of prompts and exercises to try.
liberal sprinkles
This book provides an indepth look at how we can art journal with more passion and intent. LK Ludwig gives great advice and suggestions on how we can get started, get new ideas and boost our creativity as we journal about things that are important to us. On nearly every page, she includes interesting and often refreshing prompts to get the reader thinking about life, personal artistic preferences, techniques and sometimes just thinking out of the box.

With approachable and insightful writing, she
liberal sprinkles

With approachable and insightful writing, she
Kate
If you have gotten stuck in your art journaling, this book has lots of examples, prompts, etc. to help you get going again.
Paula
Oct 17, 2008 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the visuals of this book - LK's nature journals are intriguing eye candy and made me want to make one (or several) of my own. But the instructions are sketchy at best, and there were very few techniques in there that I'd be able to do with the sparse and undetailed instructions throughout the book.
Tammy
Oct 04, 2011 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
A worthwhile read. The ideas in the book spark curiosity and the artwork is lovely. There are a lot of inventive concepts and the book is fun to read. There is a focus on mixed media and altered books rather than purely art journal pages.
Tiffiny
Sep 16, 2009 Tiffiny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I really like the quality of this book and how they do not tell you how to art journal, but how to discover your own way of art journaling! Nice sharp pictures and good detail.
Pascale
A worthwhile well-illustrated book about art journaling, with detailed explanations of visual techniques used.
Tena
Jun 26, 2008 Tena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like L.K. Ludwig's artwork and approach to art journaling. Love the approach and content, very inspiring.
Ericka
Apr 24, 2011 Ericka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GREAT resource for art therapists, or anyone making altered books.
Annie
Jun 05, 2011 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very juicy; tons to be inspired by :)
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Kwan
Kwan rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Babi
Babi rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Nbarbaragha
Nbarbaragha rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Star Gonzalez
Star Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Mary-alice Michaels
Mary-alice Michaels marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Sandi Kamuf
Sandi Kamuf marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Natalie Matos
Natalie Matos rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Margie
Margie rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Hannah Daffinson
Hannah Daffinson marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Jhanak Mishra
Jhanak Mishra rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Alexus
Alexus rated it it was amazing
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Sheila Altman
Sheila Altman marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Experimental Techniques for Composition, Layering, Texture, Imagery, and Encaustic
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed-Media Mapmaking
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • Journal Bliss: Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Beyond the Unexpected--New Techniques Using Color, Personal Imagery and Creative Surfaces