Start by marking “The Habit of Winning” as Want to Read:
The Habit of Winning

The Habit of Winning

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  501 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
In The Habit of Winning, you’ll find stories that can change the way you think, work, live. Stories about leadership and teamwork, self-belief and perseverance. Life lessons from cola wars and cricket, Olympic heroes and ordinary folks. Stories that will help ignite a new passion and a renewed sense of purpose in your mind. And in your team’s heads and hearts too.A picture ...more
Published February 15th 2012 by Penguin Global (first published February 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Habit of Winning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Habit of Winning

Muralidhar Patnam
Sep 03, 2012 Muralidhar Patnam rated it it was amazing
"He has something that will plant seeds in your mind. Read it, follow what he has to say and those seeds will blossom into fine oaks" - Wrote Harsha Bhogle about this insightful book. There is no better way to describe it. I took interest in it with Harsha's comment & got reinforced when i saw it as the profile picture of a friend's FB account

Started glancing through the pages after a late breakfast on a sunday morning
Once i started reading, i couldn't stop. It was like spending a late morni
Venkataraman Kumbakonam S.
Jul 17, 2013 Venkataraman Kumbakonam S. rated it really liked it
Prakash Iyer's style is direct and simple. He has touched various aspects of life, with an emphasis on leadership.

Shining as an expert in a given profession is one thing; but more important is developing right attitudes and earning respect and affection from all the people we move with in day-to-day life. The simple techniques the author explains through his stories are sure to help us in both ways.

He begins with highlighting the primary need of formulating clear goals. Then gives confidence th
Rajat TWIT
May 26, 2014 Rajat TWIT rated it it was ok
An average self-help book, it contains many stories or examples from prior books/works in the same field. Though the book is short and the chapters are not more than 3-4 pages long, but at many places the language gets redundant. Some of the examples are repeated twice and makes a boring effect on the reader.
Not a bad read, but there are many other better and smarter books available (Dale Carnegie and even our desi Shiv Khera should be tried) to enjoy this genre.
Venkataraman N H
Jun 12, 2012 Venkataraman N H rated it it was amazing
Its a wonderful read.You are taken on a voyage of situations experienced by people who defied the barriers set by ordinary men to achieve greatness.Its a book that can be reread any number of times.It inspires you in a unique sense.
Iyer
Aug 30, 2013 Iyer rated it really liked it
Fantastic book by prakash iyer, simple anecdotes to describe situations
in daily life. The lucid language of the author to propose practical
and workable solutions is simply fantastic.
Do read if you want to keep winning and leading.
Jeevagan
Jul 23, 2014 Jeevagan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Readers and Aspiring Enterprenuers
The Habit of Winning, Prakash Iyer, Penguin Books.

A self improvement book written with simple words. It has collection stories of success, perseverance, and struggle, inspiration to motivate the reader and to bring out the winner within him. We must appreciate the efforts of first time author for simplifying the Self development and management theories for the lay man. Well, The Habit of Winning, can be a good for beginners and can be classified as a must read for the beginners.
However, if you h
June
Mar 12, 2013 June rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book to read. I am amazed by certain facts written in the book. It is definitely one of the best motivating and inspirational book out on shelves. I have read this book twice.
Ashutosh Kumar
Mar 28, 2013 Ashutosh Kumar rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodbooks
Good book. Has mostly anecdotes from Cricketing, Sports and author's personal interactions with business leaders in India.
Varun Shringarpure
Aug 04, 2013 Varun Shringarpure rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Varun by: Kiran Patil
Shelves: my-favorites
One of the best books I have ever read. Read this book twice and definitely going to read it a few more times.
Avijit Faujdar
May 12, 2015 Avijit Faujdar rated it liked it
Interesting and inspiring life instances to guide readers to learn from the achievers. Some of these instances are indeed motivating and will stick forever in readers mind. Two things underrate the book, firstly too many instances from cricket (shows how much fascinated author is with the game) and secondly book caters mostly to the Indian readers (by India-centric illustrations).
Anushree
Feb 19, 2014 Anushree rated it really liked it
It is one of the very few non-fiction works I loved reading.

It is a wonderful book full of motivating short stories that each one of us can relate to. In fact some of them might be known. Each chapter in it, gives a single or a couple of short stories giving an inspiring message.The way each chapter is written, the message from every chapter flows out clear and crisp.

After finishing the book,as I glimpsed through the messages,I could actually remember the related stories. Some messages will cer
Aiswarya Ramachandran
Jun 02, 2015 Aiswarya Ramachandran rated it it was amazing
very lucid.. Short stories to inspire you and ignite a sense of purpose..Read it a million times and you will still have something to learn.A book which brings the experiences of a lot of people and the lessons one can learn from each one. Lessons which can be implemented in our day to day life.
Firoz
Apr 25, 2014 Firoz rated it really liked it
I liked this book and and it is full of real life stories which certainly inspires anyone.This book has to be read slowly like other personal development books to ingrain those ideas into our lives, not a night sitter type.I am planning to read it again ;)
Kaushal Dhruw
Jun 01, 2012 Kaushal Dhruw rated it really liked it
Shelves: motivational
The habit of winning is a collection of short motivational stories of some people and things (like Chinese bamboo), still you'd be surprised to see how well they connect at the end of the book. The best part you can pick up reading from the next story.

My friends who aren't much into reading motivational books are okay with reading short stories. I made them read the Karoly Takacs chapter. They loved it and read the whole book.

This book is highly inspiring. A must for everyone no exception. I gi
Rajiv Bhattacharya
Oct 04, 2015 Rajiv Bhattacharya rated it liked it
A quick read .
Pros : 1.Short 2. Non-prescriptive 3. Indian context .
Cons: 1. Some of the stories were not new to me . They are the type one would read in Reader's Digest or Speaking Tree of Times of India. 2. There is nothing original that the writer has come up with. He has just compiled a set of stories.
Sanjay Sharma
May 07, 2015 Sanjay Sharma rated it really liked it
very good book. with short stories, you can easily correlate with life. Very applicable in life. very motivating .
Must read.. very inspiring & motivating. examples are mainly with Indian Context.
Vamsi Thota
For people who want to read books.. and looking for a starter.. Here it is .. Love they way its all started.
Vijayendra
Mar 17, 2014 Vijayendra rated it really liked it
Pallav Malhotra
Sep 01, 2015 Pallav Malhotra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
one of the best books i have ever read
had one of the best endings ever
Kadir Bharmal
Apr 15, 2015 Kadir Bharmal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great guide which can transform one's soul to develop Winning approach.....
Lemuria
Feb 07, 2016 Lemuria rated it really liked it
Crisp stories to get the message cut across.
Mohit Chhabra
Interesting collection of meaningful stories.
Arun ks
Dec 17, 2014 Arun ks rated it really liked it
Worthwhile stories in a Simple language.
Puneeth Bhurat
May 20, 2014 Puneeth Bhurat rated it it was amazing
A must read book for every youngster.
Anu Sadasivan
excellent motivating stuff
Anju Agarwal
Dec 30, 2014 Anju Agarwal rated it really liked it
Too good!!!
Hemanth Kumar
Best book i have ever read, awsome book
Ashutosh
Aug 28, 2014 Ashutosh rated it really liked it
It is really a good read but can be compared to a Bollywood masala movie inspired from various Hollywood movies. Many of the stories are taken from here and there but then interpreted in some other direction. But if you get a collection of some really good stuffs at one place even then you should read.

First book which I could finish in one go. Not a big deal for many but for me. Interesting for sure.
Rk
Sep 06, 2014 Rk rated it it was amazing
awesome book. a must have book on your shelves
Akshada
Oct 08, 2013 Akshada rated it really liked it
Liked the contenet and examples linked. A Person should have some interest in sports to get involved completely in it. :)
Fabulous book...should be read again. Very good lessons for winning yourself and to retain this habit book shall be read again.

• Corporate Chanakya: Successful Management the Chanakya Way
  • High-Performance Entrepreneur
  • The Game Changers: 20 extraordinary success stories of entrepreneurs from IIT Kharagpur
  • Forbes Greatest Business Stories of All Time
  • Conquering the Chaos: Win in India, Win Everywhere
  • The Rules of Management: A Definitive Code for Managerial Success
  • Digital Wars: Apple, Google, Microsoft and the Battle for the Internet
  • A Better India: A Better World
  • Poor Little Rich Slum
  • The Tyranny of Oil: The World's Most Powerful Industry--and What We Must Do to Stop It
  • Business Sutra: A Very Indian Approach to Management
  • Finding the Next Steve Jobs: How to Find, Hire, Keep and Nurture Creative Talent
  • My Life, My Rules: Stories of 18 Unconventional Careers
  • Kiss That Frog!: 12 Great Ways to Turn Negatives into Positives in Your Life and Work
  • IIM Ahmedabad Business Books: Day to Day Economics
  • 177 Mental Toughness Secrets of the World Class: The Thought Processes, Habits and Philosophies of the Great Ones
  • Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business
  • Winners Never Cheat: Even in Difficult Times

“What separates champions from mere mortals is not just talent. It’s attitude. It’s mental strength. It’s the willingness to fight when the chips are down.” 1 likes
“Don’t worry about what you’ve lost. Focus on what you still have. Your inner strength. Your mental toughness. No one can take these away.” 1 likes