Start by marking “Autism and the God Connection: Redefining the Autistic Experience Through Extraordinary Accounts of Spiritual Giftedness” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Autism and the God Con...

William Stillman

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Everyone who seeks a more compassionate and wise life will benefit from this wonderful, insightful, and beautiful book. It is a very short step from understanding autism and the God connection to understanding you and the God Connection.

---Gary Zukav, author of The Seat of the Soul and The Dancing Wu Li Master

"Autism and the God Connection is a compelling, powerful and th
Published April 1st 2006 by Sourcebooks, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Autism and the God Connection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autism and the God Connection

Linda
I liked "Autism and the God Connection." Reading the experiences the author wrote about I feel like my eyes were opened to the real possibility that special needs children do have a "God connection." In my quest to learn what I can about children on the autism spectrum, I believe this is a good book to read.

Here is a quote from a 15 year old autistic:

"God gives us the choice of what we want to experience. These choices direct our lives. My choice was to lead people home to their source. It requ
Douglas
Mar 01, 2008 Douglas rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in autism and/or spirituality
Recommended to Douglas by: no one
Debbie
Aug 02, 2008 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERY HUMAN BEING, ESPECIALLY OLD WHITE REPUBLICANS
Recommended to Debbie by: Blessed to find it.
This is a book that every family should read, whether you have a child diagnosed with autism or not because at the rate of diagnosis, we will ALL be involved with autism eventually in some way. Let's get comfortable with it right now. And that is the goal of this book, I believe, to get everyone at a comfort level with these incredible children. Here is the message I get from this author over and over from his various books on autism: this is NOT a condition that calls for a cure, this is an opp ...more
Eryn
I am sadly disappointed by this read. The title in itself makes one believe that the book might be about God's relationship with our asd children, perhaps even insight about how we can advocate for autistic children in a godly way...however I couldn't determine whose god the author is trying to describe. The summary seems to be that autistic children have a deeper connection to the spiritual world and that a god has sent them here to teach us...I don't necessarily disagree, however there are no ...more
Christopher
The author is autistic and makes the case that autistic people have a unique connection to the spiritual and can exhibit paranormal abilities.

A profoundly broken body often houses a profoundly gifted soul.

Great resources listed for those who are or live and work with autistic people.
Lisa
Just finished this book last night. My daughter works with young children on the spectrum and it hit the mark of all that we both believe. Amazing, special people here to heal the Earth.
Katrina
Though it may sound intriguing, this book simply makes wild spiritual claims about people with autism. Not helpful for helping people with autism, or advocating for their rights.
Laura Sullivan
Nov 04, 2007 Laura Sullivan rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
I had really high hopes for this book. I was extremely disappointed. It is really, really lame.
Stein
This author is not shy about mixing New Age spirituality in with his advocacy for open minded assessment and compassionate treatment of children with autism or Asperger's Syndrome. God is referred to in the title but neither Christian fundamentalists nor traditional academic behaviourists will recognize established cultural God-bearings in Stillman's accounts and propositions. Religionist will complain about the work's lack of any doctrinal basis and academics will decry its lack of sound scient ...more
Ron Krumpos
"Autism and the God Connection" is one of the books in the primary bibliography of my free ebook on comparative mysticism. "The greatest achievement in life" at suprarational.org/gail2012.pdf has been reviewed on Goodreads.
Anne Evans
Fabulous! I have had many of the same experiences working with autistic children I have known. Very realistic.
Peter Hakkenberg
Excellent book... explores the spiritual connection of those with autism. Very much worth the read, provoking much thought.
Erin Healy
An eye-opening and sensitive speculation about the spiritual and even supernatural giftedness of persons with autism. William Stillman's love and respect for the families he serves permeates these pages and loads the book with tangible value. Though not scientifically convincing, his theories are respectable and his anecdotal support is captivating.
Tonya
Aug 16, 2008 Tonya rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tonya by: bcautism support
This book was interesting, but seemed a little cultish. Some of what was said went against my beliefs and what the bible says. However, the realization my children (both with autism) are probably more sensitive than I am (I have prophetic/discernment tendancies) was interesting.
This book offers a unique perspective into the world of Autism by focusing on spirituality (God, angels, ghosts). You have to keep an open mind while reading this.
Lisa Dorenkamp
I started reading this book a few years ago, but need to take the time to start reading it again. What I have read so far is engaging, probably why I bought the book!
Pam Camel
I only got 100 pages in. It's dry and boring. At times felt like a bad lecture.
Interesting to read, but sometimes I thought some of it was a stretch.
Terri
Simple: Wow... It is neat to think that we are ALL connected...
Kyle
Faith can be a powerful thing for a person in need.
Hil
Disappointing codswallop.
Linda
I appreciate his insight.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Kjs
Kjs marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Larissa
Larissa marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • Rex: A Mother, Her Autistic Child, and the Music That Transformed Their Lives
  • The Boy Who Loved Windows: Opening The Heart And Mind Of A Child Threatened With Autism
  • Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: A Mother's Story of Research & Recovery
  • George and Sam
  • Making Peace with Autism: One Family's Story of Struggle, Discovery, and Unexpected Gifts
  • A Regular Guy: Growing Up With Autism
  • Dancing with Max: A Mother and Son Who Broke Free
  • 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifesaver for Parents and Professionals Who Interact Children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • Unstrange Minds: Remapping the World of Autism
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
  • Elijah's Cup: A Family's Journey Into the Community and Culture of High-Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • Songs of the Gorilla Nation: My Journey Through Autism
  • The Mind Tree: A Miraculous Child Breaks The Silence Of Autism
  • Reasonable People
  • Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph over Autism
  • Engaging Autism: Helping Children Relate, Communicate and Think with the DIR Floortime Approach (A Merloyd Lawrence Book)
The Wizard of Oz: The Official 75th Anniversary Companion The Autism Answer Book: More Than 300 of the Top Questions Parents Ask The Everything Parent's Guide to Children with Asperger's Syndrome: Help, Hope, and Guidance SOUL OF AUTISM: Looking Beyond Labels to Unveil Spiritual Secrets of the Heart Savants Empowered Autism Parenting: Celebrating (and Defending) Your Child's Place in the World