Start by marking “Fire and Rain” as Want to Read:
Fire and Rain

Fire and Rain

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  609 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Publishers Weekly:
The venerable theme of the stranger who comes to a community and acts as a catalyst for change and redemption receives an entertaining treatment in this new novel by the author of Lovers and Strangers. Years of drought and devastating brush fires have whittled away at the morale of the inhabitants of Valle Rosa. The fortunes of this quaint Southern Califo
Published (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Fire and Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire and Rain

Lesley
Whilst I really enjoyed the book, the ending was another disappointment for me.

I've read all of Ms Chamberlain's books, and this isn't the first one that just doesn't have a real ending, but seems to leave it open for a follow-up which never appears.

I'm afraid I do like a proper ending, not a "I've run out of pages! I'd better finish it now!" type.
Mariann Primus
I enjoyed the book but did not like the ending. I don't expect everything to be tied up in a neat bow but this one left a lot of loose ends hanging. Overall, she tied four characters together well with a host of minor characters and her creativity was ingenious with the rain maker.
Debbie
Not my favorite offering by Chamberlin. Story line was a bit far fetched. Really interesting, well-developed characters, though.
Chrissi
I have read several of Diane Chamberlain’s books in the past, I’m trying to make my way through some of her earlier books because I’ve enjoyed her writing. This book is a perfect example of how much a writer can develop as their career progresses. I thought Fire and Rain was a good read, but it certainly took me a while to get into it.

Fire and Rain follows several characters Jeff, Mia, Carmen and Chris. As with many Diane Chamberlain books, these characters are complex. They all have their separ
This book is different than most Diane Chamberlain books (though it was written in 1994, so possibly that's why). It was a hard pick for me between 3 & 4 stars as I thoroughly liked the book, but it was much slower for me to get into, and so I decided on a 3. I felt the beginning was slow to get started and slow to get into. But overall, a solid book, and once I did get into it, the book really took off. I did think it was missing the typical Chamberlain 'charm' with there not really being a ...more
Kathy
A true fan of Diane Chamberlain, I am trying to get a collection together of all her books. It took me a while to find this one, but got it second hand online in the US. Fire and Rain is about 20 years old and looks to me to be one of her earlier books, so the style of writing is a little different to what we all read now. But in saying that you can see how her current style evolved from this earlier book. I did enjoy the book even though it took me a while to get into the four main characters t ...more
Candace Norris
Another solid book by Chamberlain

Another solid book by Chamberlain

Though the "shocker" was quite predictable, this was a well written story. Chamberlain is excellent at developing characters and this book was no exception.
Sue
This was my first Diane Chamberlain book and I loved it! If this really is "not one of her best" as some have reviewed, than I look forward to reading her "better" works. Although the whole rainmaking premise was a little far-fetched and the ending was a bit disappointing, I thought it was very well written and the characters were well developed. I found myself totally engrossed in each of their lives and found something likable about each one. (I admit that Carmen took a little longer for me to ...more
Gina DeJong
It took a bit for the story to build and characters to develop but I really enjoyed the whole story and was hooked! I'll have to check out more from the author
Melissa
I liked this book A LOT. many reviews complained that they didn't like the ending. I was more than satisfied.
Carol
I love the mystery in her books and the interconnection of her characters. I will read more of her books.
Ann
I always enjoy Diane Chamberlain’s books but this was not one of her best. Interesting characters but I found the plot pretty implausible and the end unsatisfactory.
Vicky
Good book! Not thrilling, not upsetting, but keeps your interest.
Dallas
Amber Nicole
I was hesitant to read this but as always, Chamberlain kept me hooked until the end!
Liz Balaam
I always love finding a Diane Chamberlain book I haven't yet read. As usually the books grips you from the beginning. I love the way each of the characters has their own story to tell. However, when I got the end I was disappointed. But only for about an hour. Diane was clever in the ending of the book as she leaves it up to your imagination as to how it all pans out - I have woven my own ending in my brain and I like it!
Kate
Slightly unlikely storyline but a great read nonetheless. Kept me gripped right the way through.
Katy
The lower rating is because I really felt like Chamberlain could have delved more into the science behind making it rain, whereas throughout the book it was ignored as to how it was being achieved and instead the love story was focused on much more intently. Other than that, again I'd recommend it, but if like me, you have a thirst for theories and science - you may be a bit disappointed!
Lynn Jenkins
I enjoy reading Diane Chamberlain novels, and this one was no exception. Compelling storyline and good character development. As often happens with her books, I found myself up late at night unable to put the book down.

This was one of the author's earlier books. She did not have the luxury of the internet to do her research while writing
Dan Dinello
Fire Rain: The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, James Taylor, CSN & Y and the Lost Story of 1970 told me some interesting backstories about these amazing musicians. I'm uninterested in the music and life of James Taylor, but the rest of the book provided fascinating social/biographical/historical/musica context for these artists.
Shana Adler
i LOVED this book, even though given the rainmaking bit, I did NOT expect to. I love Mia - I feel like I AM Mia in many ways...and love how Jeff cared and loved her out of her shell. They are such a cute couple!! Great book - well done. Felt like I was in the 90's again, lol, with the payphones and such.
CJC
Jo
One of Chamberlain's older titles. I'd been looking for awhile for this book and it didn't disappoint. Chamberlain's usual rich mix of human drama, suspense and a few surprises. A layered story with real people who are both imperfect and real. Glad I finally found this title.
Sheila Medvedjevs
This wasn't among my favorite Diane Chamberlain books, but it's a testament to how well written her books are than I'm still giving it four stars. The premise was a little too far fetched for me, but the characters are well developed and the story is well paced as always.
Betsy
'Eh....she's got better books out there. This was was so dull, then got real good (200 pages into it), then real dull again, then followed up with a "blah" ending. This was one of her first books, so maybe she just got better with every book she wrote?
Korey
I liked the majority of this book (though it is not one if the author's best by any means) but unfortunately I was unable to finish it because I accidentally returned it to the library, and inter-library loan will be down for 2 months.
Donna Irwin
I just loved this - as I do all Diane C's books. My only disappointment is I have now read everything available in the UK! Great characters, great storyline, and the usual love and redemption twists.
Tracy
Another great book from DC. You can tell it is an earlier book re issued as I feel that DC just improves with each book but still a fantastic story
Jenn
I really enjoyed this book. The story line gripes you right away, even though it was 800 some pages on an e-reader, it moved very fast.
Jenness
I enjoyed this one even though parts of it were very predicatable. Still it is well written and easy to read.
  • Waiting for the Moon
  • Next of Kin
  • A Family Christmas
  • See Jane Win: The Rimm Report On How 1,000 Girls Became Successful Women
  • Twelve Times Blessed
  • Going to the Sun
  • Long Time No See
  • Circle of Three
  • Dog Training For Dummies (For Dummies)
  • The What's Happening to My Body? Book for Boys: A Growing Up Guide for Parents and Sons
  • The First Time
  • Top Ten
  • Summer in Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #3)
  • Raising Confident Girls: 100 Tips For Parents And Teachers
  • White House Nannies
  • The Colour of Hope
  • Puppies For Dummies (For Dummies: Pets)
I'm the author of 23 novels published in more than twenty languages. I like to write complex stories about relationships between men and women, parents and children, brothers and sisters, and friends. Although the thematic focus of my books often revolves around family, love, compassion and forgiveness, my stories usually feature a combination of suspense, mystery and intrigue.

I live in North Car
More about Diane Chamberlain...
The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes The Midwife's Confession Necessary Lies The Good Father Before the Storm (Before the Storm, #1)