Infiltrado

Infiltrado

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  827 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Una sorprendente historia de amor entre un escéptico profesional y una actriz de cine desencantada. La sorpresa (y las dudas...) resultan inevitables al intentar desenmascarar a una médium presunta canalizadora de espíritus del pasado que parece ser capaz de vehicular el espíritu del gran escéptico y crítico de las pseudociencias.
Published September 1st 2006 by Ómicron (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Infiltrado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infiltrado

Flannery
Sep 11, 2011 Flannery rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Other Connie Willis Lovers
Recommended to Flannery by: My Love of Connie Willis
You might like this book if: You’re a skeptic, you get depressed by this, you know a lot (or a little) about the Scopes Trial, you think séances, channeling, and psychics are a bit of a joke, you love Connie Willis, you are making your way through all the Hugo Award Winners (best novella), you can laugh at yourself for at least thinking once or twice of ordering stuff off of infomercials, or you like H.L. Mencken quotes.

You probably won’t like this book if: You are a creationist, you believe t...more
Stephen
4.0 stars. Having been underwhelmed by some of Connie Willis' short fiction, I was surprised at how much I thoroughly enjoyed this tale of a paranormal debunker who comes across a very unusual case. Smart, funny and very well plotted. Recommended!!!

Winner: Hugo Award for Best Novella
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Novella.
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I have a goal of eventually reading all of the major SFF award winners, including novels, novellas, novelettes, and short stories, so that’s why I picked up Connie Willis’s Inside Job when I saw that it was available on audio. Inside Job won the Hugo Award for Best Novella in 2006. Just a couple of months ago, by the way, Connie Willis received the SFWA Grand Master Award (January 2012).

Inside Job is a story about Rob, a professional debunker of pseudoscie...more
Joshua
INSIDE JOB won the Hugo for best novella in 2006--didn't even know that was an award. I knew they awarded for short-stories, but not for novella. I wonder how many high quality science-fiction novellas are published every year? Anyway, I enjoyed this breezy, over in a heartbeat book from Connie Willis. I have liked Willis in the past [DOOMSDAY BOOK, TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG] and recently hated her BLACKOUT. I was really let down by BLACKOUT as time-travel and WW2 and Willis seemed a perfect fit...more
Daniel
Esta mañana, cuando el insomnio tempranero me ha despertado, he empezado a leer por distracción Infiltrado, de Connie Willis, y ya no he parado hasta que, a media mañana, lo he liquidado. La Willis lo escribió para mí, está claro. Al loro:

Rob es una escéptico militante, un cazador de magufos que se dedica a desacreditar a todo tipo de médiums, espiritistas, «canalizadores» y demás parásitos new age ayudado por Kildy, una preciosa actriz de cine que ha abandonado una prometedora carrera para luch...more
Rosalyn
Connie Willis is one of my favorite sci-fi authors: her To Say Nothing of the Dog is one of my favorite books. So I was thrilled to see a book I hadn't read of hers. And while I would agree with other reviewers that this isn't her best, it was still a fun, enjoyable read.

Rob owns and writes for the Jaundiced Eye, a professional debunking magazine. When his lovely assistant (and sole employee) Kildy brings him reports of a new psychic, he's not exactly interested--the psychics are all the same. B...more
Janine Southard
3.5 stars.

Quick premise summary: A fraudulent medium may or may not have channeled H. L. Mencken, the great skeptic with more famous quotes than Mark Twain (possibly). This causes serious issues for skeptical newspaper owners who both want to believe Mencken has returned...and who couldn't possibly believe in the charlatan who's acting as his channeler.
Shelley
Decent, but I expect far greater stories from her.
Michele (Mikecas)
da: http://www.webalice.it/michele.castel... Dopo L'Anno del Contagio, che avevo brevemente presentato nel lontano gennaio 2005 nella mia rubrica di consigli mensili di lettura, che si limitava allora a brevi spunti senza entrare nella descrizione della trama, La Voce dall'Aldila' e' il secondo lavoro di questa eccellente scrittrice di cui mi trovo a parlare. Questa volta si tratta di un racconto lungo, e le sue dimensioni non permettono alla Willis di sviluppare appieno la sua capacita' di crea...more
Joan
Rob is a professional skeptic. He makes a living debunking psychics, channelers, mediums and other frauds. One day, his employee, Kildy Ross, urges him to go see Auriaura Keller, who channels a spirit named "Isus", but she won't tell him what's so different about this woman. They go, and, what a surprise! In the midst of the usual New Age b.s. from this so-called spirit, a second voice interrupts, calling the proceedings "hokum" and Keller a "snakecharming preacher". What the heck is going on?

As...more
J.P.
It seems I either give a four star or two star rating with Connie Wills' books. This fell into the latter category.
A potential buyer should be aware that this is a novella only 99 pages long and the publisher’s price tag is hefty for such a slim volume.
A writer for a magazine that exposes fraudulent psychics thinks he’s being duped by the person who led him to the story. The psychic then starts channeling H.L. Mencken. That’s essentially all there is to it outside of the filler. You don’t have t...more
Carlos
Una añeja amistad (la relación, no la amiga en cuestión) me prestó hace un par de años un libro de Connie Willis que debe encontrarse en algún baúl de mi morada; no había pensado en ese nombre hasta que, recientemente, lo vi en la portada de un saldo en una librería: la obra en cuestión, “Infiltrado”, no llegaba al centenar de páginas y, a un precio casi irrisorio, decidí adquirirlo. Si valía la pena, leería aquel facilitado años ha.
Nacida en una víspera de año nuevo, en 1945, Willis ha obtenido...more
Alice
This is a very enjoyable novella. It's about a publisher at a skeptics' publication called Jaundiced Eye who comes across something he can't immediately debunk. The odd thing is, he can't disprove that someone is channeling the famous skeptic, H. L. Mencken.

As Mencken is a hero of his, our narrator, whose only name given is Rob, attacks the problem head-on, doing everything in his power to disprove it as a phenomenon.

It was a short novella, though, so I'm only writing a short review: I enjoyed i...more
meeners
The sons of bitches are gaining on us!

connie willis! i love you, connie willis. i love everything you write. i love that you are so intelligent and funny and sharp all the damn time, and i love how you can make all these strange and amazing historical events/figures come to life, and i love that you mention my favorite authors all the time - LIKE JAMES M. CAIN AHHHH "baby in the icebox" reference!! - and i love that your main characters are always people i wish i could know in real life.

but i a...more
Cyndi
I love Connie Willis. Some of her novels are among my favorites and some are, well, not as strong. Inside Job is in the latter category. It's a novella and never really caught fire. It was the right length for the material but just not fleshed out well enough. The characters weren't all there...I kept thinking the main character was a woman until I was reminded he wasn't, and his assistant wasn't believable at all. The central mystery was okay but unsatisfying. This would get two stars if it was...more
Trish
This is just a short story with big type and wide margins -- I'm not sure why it was published as a "novella." Maybe because its defense of reason and attack on charlatans was considered too timely to wait for an anthology? It's far from Willis' best -- too rushed, too forced, and too sketchy. Green-plucked fruit that should have been allowed to ripen.

The plot: Rob is a professional debunker. Kildy is a gorgeous actress who has turned her back on Hollywood and started working alongside Rob for...more
Jared
I'm not quite sure what to make of this book. It is very short, which may be a blessing.

The story centers around the experiences of a paranormal investigator and his beautiful assistant. They investigate paranormal frauds of every kind and publish a paper about them. The beautiful assistant attends the "channeling" efforts of a fraud, and finds that she is quite convincingly channeling an 18th century skeptic. The book deals with the investigator's efforts to discredit her channeling.

In the end,...more
Lis Carey
Rob's a professional debunker, publisher of a skeptic/debunker magazine. At the insistence of his too-good-to-be-true, beautiful, former actress assistant, Kildy, he attends a performance of a hot new channeler. It's all very normal and boring, with the alleged spirit, Isus, spouting typical "insights" and advice--until a different booms out from the psychic "channeling" him. This voice is different, skeptical, belittling--and oddly familiar.

Is Ariaunna channeling H.L. Mencken?

Or is this a new t...more
Shawn Thrasher
Another Connie Willis gem. Don't let the length fool you - this pithy little book is chock full of Willis's trademark rich, entanglingly layered, often humorous, occasionally surprising prose. It's a comedy of manners, the manners being a skewering of Hollywood's obession with psychic healing and mediums, the comedy a debunking journalist and his insider actress assistant who discover that a medium may be channeling the ghost of all time greatest debunker of all, H.L. Mencken. And there is a rea...more
Victoria
I was so excited to read another Connie Willis story. This is definitely more of the fun ones, along the lines of Bellwether. Although Willis is definitely capable of depth in her shorter works, this novella is definitely more fluff than depth. One thing that just tickles me to no end is the role that H. L. Mencken plays in the story. My father, who gave me two tomes of Mencken that he loved, hated To Say Nothing of the Dog. I'm going to have to try him on this and see what he thinks. Since his...more
Donna
Novella--amusing story of a professional skeptic and debunker who encounters a channeler who may or may not be channeling the greatest skeptic of them all, H. L. Mencken.
Jen
Connie Willis needs to write more. It takes a very smart writer to make such engaging fluff.
Tracey
Nov 16, 2007 Tracey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: skeptics
Shelves: libraryread
The main character is the editor of Jaundiced Eye, a skeptic newsletter & affects a film noir detective attitude. His employee/love interest talks him into attending a public session with a channeler, who apparently has a little more going on than she thinks, as her normal "spirit guide" keeps getting interrupted by someone who seems to think it's all a load of hogwash.

I'm not sure this deserved a standalone publishing, as the story is only 99 pages. It was a nice light bit of reading, with...more
Nandor
Mar 21, 2014 Nandor rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Más bien divertido, pero de ciencia ficción no tenia nada, solo un toque fantástico por aquello de lo de los medium y tal. Corto y entretenido nada mas...
i really hate to give ms. willis anything less than 4 stars, but this book just really didn't have it for me. it's a novella, but it is short enough that it could have been in an anthology with no problem. i just couldn't get behind the characters, or even care much about them. it was kind of an amusing premise, but i couldn't decide if it went on for too long or not long enough (not long enough meaning she needed more time/pages for development). a good effort, but not generally what i expect f...more
Mary Ayres
Lara Eakins
I couldn't remember what it was about before I started listening, so it was a pleasant surprise to find out it was about a skeptic! She obviously did her research about skepticism and the skeptical community too. The only goof I noticed was someone thinking that Newton's second law disproved evolution when it is usually the second law of thermodynamics. The whole thing was quite fun, as I would expect from Connie Willis. Hehe... H.L. Menckin coming back through channeling... Love it.
Sarah Sammis
At the start of the year I was going through a science fiction binge. On my radar at the time was Connie Willis. I chose two novellas: D. A. and Inside Job.

Rob is a confirmed skeptic. He's sitting in at a psychic reading hoping to debunk an up and coming celebrity psychic. What he sees isn't what he expected. Apparently the psychic is channeling the spirit of a well known skeptic!

The book is short, silly and delightful. I read it in about an hour. I love her humorous books.
Melissa
I love Connie Willis. I came across this in the library. It's a novella and I read it in a couple of hours. About a man and his partner/assistant defrauding psychics and channelers, etc. I love how some of her books, like Bellwhether (weather?), include so much information about a certain topic. I was introduced to H.L. Mencken in this book and enjoyed learning more about him. Very short, but quite amusing.
Susan
What can I say? I love Connie Willis, even when a book is this slight. Editor Rob is afraid his beautiful assistant, Kildy, is conspiring with a so-called channeller to fool him. After all, he can't be expected to believe that the spirit of H. L. Mencken, noted skeptic, is working for a new age charlatan. The ending is disappointing, but Willis' writing continues to be irresistible.
What Credentials Are Needed to Become an Insurance Investigator? 1 3 Mar 15, 2014 05:04PM
  • The Dragon Masters
  • Hell is the Absence of God
  • Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2)
  • The Empress of Mars
  • The Concrete Jungle (Laundry Files, #1.5)
  • Seven Views of Olduvai Gorge
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • Seven Wild Sisters
  • A Bad Day for Mercy (Bad Day, #4)
  • Persistence of Vision
  • They'd Rather Be Right
  • Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories
  • The Jewels of Aptor
  • Joplin's Ghost
  • The Gentle Art of Cracking Heads (The Human Division, #12)
  • Sleight of Hand
Constance Elaine Trimmer Willis is an American science fiction writer. She is one of the most honored science fiction writers of the 1980s and 1990s.

She has won, among other awards, ten Hugo Awards and six Nebula Awards. Willis most recently won a Hugo Award for All Seated on the Ground (August 2008). She was the 2011 recipient of the Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award from the Science Ficti...more
More about Connie Willis...
Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1) To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2) Blackout All Clear Bellwether