Start by marking “The Best Buddhist Writing 2007” as Want to Read:
The Best Buddhist Writing 2007

The Best Buddhist Writing 2007

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Containing writings that are variously wise, witty, heartfelt, and profound, this is the fourth volume in an annual series that brings together the year’s most notable literature inspired by Buddhist philosophy and practice. Selected by the editors of the Shambhala Sun, North America’s leading Buddhist-inspired magazine, the pieces in this anthology offer an entertaining m ...more
Published October 9th 2007 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Best Buddhist Writing 2007, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Buddhist Writing 2007

Maya Rock
I like the concept behind this book a lot--an anthology of writings by contemporary Buddhists and people influenced by Buddhist thought about Buddhism. It was really fun to see how many different takes there were on Buddhism...often when reading this kind of stuff I think you get very hooked onto the idea that you have to follow the one writer's template to fulfillment; by presenting many points of view you were able to see there were many paths.

I would have loved more personal anecdotes but at
I found this to be a rich and pleasingly varied collection spanning many levels of study and engagement with Buddhist thought and practice. While the most recognized spiritual leaders are represented, my favorites essays are those crafted by writers I would not have immediately associated with Buddhist teaching and practice, such as journalist Daniel Goleman's study on our natural disposition toward altruism and Jarvis Jay Masters' description of a situation he encountered as a death row inmate ...more
Rev. Sharon Wylie
My partner brought this book home from the library for me (unsolicited). Reading about Buddhism makes my head hurt, but since I'm learning that pain does not inherently exist, I feel okay about it.

UPDATE: We had to return this to the library before I could finish it, but I really liked having contemporary writing on Buddhism distilled into one volume. (And I had no idea bell hooks is Buddhist.)
Mikal
Filled with essays from teachers and scholars, with diverse approaches to life. Each essay is 7 to 20 pages, it's so perfect for reading just before bed, informs one's dreams in the best way.
2007 includes: Thich Nhat Hanh, HH Dalai Lama, bell hooks, Alice Walker, Pema Chodron, Leonard Cohen....
Great to get some teachings in small doses.
Marc Geffen
A collection of short essays on Buddhism and Buddhist themes. I was mostly uninspired. Despite the title, there are much better Buddhist oriented writings out there (see, e.g., anything written by Thich Nhat Hahn, Gil Fronsdal, Joseph Goldstein, Ezra Bayda or Jack Kornfield).
Elizabeth
An incredible, very readable and thought-provoking collection of essays from the top writers, scholars and thinkers from Buddhism. You don't have to be a Buddhist to find this book... enlightening.
Greg
Don't be fooled by the name. There are only a few good essays in here - the rest are not worth reading. One notable exception is the essay "Pitbull" by a prison inmate Jarvis Jay Masters.
Gita
Wonderful essays that make Buddhism a little more accessible to spiritual seekers like myself :)
Alicia Vogl Saenz
Jan 18, 2008 Alicia Vogl Saenz marked it as to-read
I just bought this book and read the first essay by Dzongsar Khyentse- very interesting.
Ginster
Jan 09, 2008 Ginster is currently reading it
Carried with me to Nepal. Didn't have much free time.
Dnk5
Dnk5 marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Robert
Robert added it
Jan 12, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Phuntsho Wangchuk
Phuntsho Wangchuk is currently reading it
Nov 02, 2014
Emma Sedlak
Emma Sedlak marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Ra4569
Ra4569 marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Dipannita Maria Bagh
Dipannita Maria Bagh marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
John Philson
John Philson marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Tessa Stephens
Tessa Stephens marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Suzanne Arcand
Suzanne Arcand marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mindful Politics: A Buddhist Guide to Making the World a Better Place The Best Buddhist Writing 2012 The Best Buddhist Writing 2010 The Best Buddhist Writing 2011 The Best Buddhist Writing 2013