Start by marking “A Dime a Dozen” as Want to Read:
A Dime a Dozen

A Dime a Dozen (The Million Dollar Mysteries #3)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  741 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Fast-paced and inspirational, The Million Dollar Mystery series is from bestselling author Mindy Starns Clark.

Attorney Callie Webber investigates nonprofit organizations for the J.O.S.H.U.A. Foundation and awards the best of them grants up to a million dollars. In this series, Callie comes across a mystery she must solve using her skills as a former private investigator. A
Published October 1st 2011 by Harvest House Publishers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Dime a Dozen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dime a Dozen

Lyndi
Nov 04, 2013 Lyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I have enjoyed each of the books in this series. And the author wraps up each mystery in every book, there is a thread of mystery that has not been answered in any of them, and mostly that is of Callie's boss and now boyfriend Tom. And I know some have thought they were predictable, but so far I have not guessed all the details of any if these mysteries. While Callie reminds me of Angela Landsbury and you wonder how many crimes and murders is she just so happens to stumble across are real, ...more
Smi4ever2
Nov 15, 2015 Smi4ever2 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like these light mysteries. She's a great author.
Vlady Peters
Dec 09, 2015 Vlady Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those writing-styles that enumerates the minutiae of life. 'I got up, I went to the bathroom, I washed my teeth, I combed my hair' etc. etc. etc.

When done badly it can be excruciatingly painful to read. When done well - as it is in this case - it in no way distracts from a good mystery.

It has uncompromisingly Christian views, unlike people who claim to be Christians except for the one hundred and one Christian ethics they don't uphold because it doesn't suit their particular life-
Christy Wrenn
Oct 06, 2011 Christy Wrenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is amazing. Clark has intertwined Callie Webber's first trip home to visit her in-laws since the death of her beloved husband. Her true reason for going is to investigate their migrant charity before her employer gifts them with a million dollars. Oh yes, there is an awful murder involved with lots of mystery. Great read!
Jolene
Jan 10, 2012 Jolene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Callie Webber has an eye for detail that helps her as she investigates non-profit agencies applying for grants. As Callie travels to the Smoky Mountains to investigate MORE, the non-profit agency run by the parents of her late husband, she is hesitant to confront painful memories, but expects to be able to award a million-dollar grant to MORE. Strangely, the memories are less painful than expected, but awarding the grant is not so easy. A fatal stabbing, an arson fire, and the search for a missi ...more
Katie
Dec 23, 2011 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

Mindy Clarke is a new author to me, but a quick peak on Amazon.com showed me that she is really into the mysteries! I do enjoy a good mystery, myself, on occasion, and found the one Mindy created inside of A Dime a Dozen very intriguing. A bit slow-paced for me, but the plot was very intricate and well done.

Callie is a character you can’t help but get to like. With a close relationship to the Lord that you can feel just by the way she talks, I found he
Courtney
This is a great book even if you haven’t had the luxury of reading the first 2 books in the series. I was asked to review this book and agreed to it and then was hoping I could get my hands on books one and two before I read book three. However, that did not happen, my library only had book three and so I decided to give it a shot without reading the first two books and then if I had too many issues I would go back and read the others.

Well let me just tell you, I felt no need to go back and read
Maureen Timerman
Sep 29, 2011 Maureen Timerman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-read
I so enjoyed reading this book. Callie Webber has returned to Greenbrier WV where she is investigating a non-profit that her in-laws have started. They are in line to receive a substantial grant, and she is now working with the J.O.S.H.U.A. Foundation who can make it possible. She has to face a lot of what she shared with her husband Brian, he was killed her in a tragic accident on the lake.
While investigating to give the grant to help the migrant apple pickers, she stumbles on some discrepanci
Clockstein Lockstein
A Dime a Dozen by Mindy Starns Clark is the third book in the Million Dollar Mystery series about Callie Webber, a private investigator working for a charitable organization that gives donations to smaller charities, but only after Callie makes sure they are worthy. Her current investigation has major emotional weight for her, as she is checking out MORE the charity formed by her former in-laws after the tragic death of their son, and her husband, Bryan. Callie is worried that visiting them will ...more
Melanie
Oct 26, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing
This is the second time I've read 'A Dime a Dozen' (I read an older edition years ago) and I've loved it both times! I've read a lot of books by Mindy Starns Clark and I've enjoyed most (if not all) of them!

Callie Webber investigates charities to see if they qualify for a donation from the J.O.S.H.U.A. Foundation. In 'A Dime a Dozen' she goes to North Carolina to award a million dollar grant to a charity that her late husband's parents started in his honor.

While Callie's there, she finds herself
Mark Baker
Mar 16, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2005
Callie is looking at the non-profit her in laws started to honor the memory of her late husband. But her home coming is anything but peaceful when a stink bomb goes off in the local church and a body is found nearby. Once again, the plot is great, and the development for Callie is very good.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Kathleen Meacham
I love Mindy Starns Clark's books and this series because she always keeps things clean and christian. It is great to know when I start reading a book that I won't have any "unpleasant surprises" i.e. sex, foul language, etc., and that I will have a good mystery plot to try and solve. Unfortunately, I thought A Dime a Dozen was just O.K. because it took too long to get up to speed. It felt like we were never going to get all of the groundwork laid, so we could get to the true meat. And laying th ...more
Patricia
There is a lot of detail if you are interested in how to qualify a nonprofit for a large donation from J.O.S.H.U.A. The story was okay after the first fourth of the book. This story just was not as interesting as I remember the last two stories being, so maybe I will read further in this series.....
Andrea Merrell
Oct 01, 2014 Andrea Merrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love anything by Mindy Starns Clark. The Million Dollar Mysteries series is fabulous!
Pat Maggi
Mar 09, 2014 Pat Maggi rated it it was ok
Seems like more suited to young adult. Very juvenile
Claudia
Oct 22, 2015 Claudia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A nice, clean light mystery.
Elisa
Mar 29, 2012 Elisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I read a lot of Mindy's books when I was younger(by like two years but still...) So I was kind of disappointed when I finally got around to reading this book. The book was written, to me, in a sort of detached way. Even though it was told in first person, from protaganist Callie's perspective, everything kind of seemed to be told as just details. But a part of me wanted to keep reading just to find out how it ended and the romance between Tom and Callie was sweet.
Debbie
Feb 06, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 star to me. What a great author!
Pam
Feb 01, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#3 great!
Michael crage
Jul 07, 2010 Michael crage rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the next to final book of the million dollar mysteries series and was the best so far. After reading them, I would recommend reading the wholes series from the first to the last in order. I am anxiously awaiting the last book of the series. The books - especially the last one - were good as stand alone novels, the series is better.
Karen Chow
For some reason, I was very emotionally attached to Callie in this book. Her struggles with overcoming her husband's death was very touching and real. It was exciting to watch her move on to open up to Tom. :) The mystery part was not as exciting as the last book in the series (#2), but it was still just as suspenseful.
Ruth
Oct 23, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book stars a lawyer/detective who works for a philanthropist investigating charities who apply for a grant from the foundation. If everything checks out, then she gets to give them a big check. Along the way, she keeps running into mysteries, and solves them while investigating the charities at the same time.
Julie
Apr 16, 2015 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries-cozy
Again. Good idea. Good plot. Interesting mystery. But not the best writing...

Callie investigates her own in-laws' non-profit and stumbles into some mysterious things--a missing husband, some funny money transactions, a dead body, secret tunnels, etc. Join her as she solves the problems.
Jessica
May 05, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If there were half ratings, I would give this one a 4.5. I had a couple of distractions that slowed me down with reading (vacation and busy weekends) but each time that I picked up this book I would read several chapters at a time.
Becky
Dec 01, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Mindy Starns Clark and was pleasantly surprised. I've been disappointed by Christian Fiction in the past, but this was a good mystery. I'll look for her others in the series.
Barbara
Jun 26, 2009 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After years of working for the J.O.S.H.U.A. foundation, Callie Webber finally gets to meet her boss. She must investigate her former in-laws's request for $$ from the foundation before she can spend time with Tom.
Lonnie
Aug 10, 2010 Lonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Loved it, of course! Now I just have to wait for the next one (unfortunately, my library doesn't carry this series, so I'm having to order them from other libraries in the state. Thank goodness for ILL! :-)
Victoria
I am very much enjoying Mindy Starns Clark's work, and will continue to read her works.
Jessica
Once again... I liked this book, but didn't absolutely love it. Her books in this series are all quite similar. It was a nice, easy book to cruise through.
Nadine
Aug 14, 2013 Nadine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clark always writes a good story--one it's hard to put down. This one in the series ended so great that I'm almost afraid to read the next one!
  • To Write a Wrong (Justice Seekers, #2)
  • Katie Opens Her Heart (Emma Raber's Daughter, #1)
  • Deadly Disclosures: A Dinah Harris Mystery
  • Amelia's Journey (Winds Across the Prairie, #.5)
  • The One Who Waits for Me
  • A Quilt for Jenna (Apple Creek Dreams, #1)
  • The Thirteenth Demon, Altar of the Spiral Eye
  • Dawn of the Golden Promise (Emerald Ballad #5)
  • Dead as a Scone (A Royal Tunbridge Wells Mystery #1)
  • An Unholy Communion (Monastery Murders, #3)
  • Dead of Night (Hidden Faces Series, #3)
  • Weddings and Wasabi (Sushi, #4)
  • Skid (Occupational Hazards, #3)
  • Beauty to Die For: A Spa Mystery
  • Your Chariot Awaits (Andi Mc Connell Mystery #1)
  • The Day of Reckoning
  • Mercy Come Morning
  • A Harvest of Hearts (Amish of Seymour County, #2)
A former singer and stand-up comedian, Mindy lives with her husband and two teenage daughters near Valley Forge, PA. She enjoys speaking to churches, civic groups, and libraries across the country. Her unique blend of humor and insight make her an audience favorite.

From the author's website.
More about Mindy Starns Clark...

The Million Dollar Mysteries (5 books)
  • A Penny for Your Thoughts (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #1)
  • Don't Take Any Wooden Nickels (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #2)
  • A Quarter for a Kiss (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #4)
  • The Buck Stops Here (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #5)