Start by marking “The Redemption of George Baxter Henry” as Want to Read:
The Redemption of George Baxter Henry

The Redemption of George Baxter Henry

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  15 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews

George Baxter Henry is having an affair and has been found out by his mother-in-law, Muriel; a ninety-oneyear-old former silent screen star who now can't keep her mouth shut! With a son (Billy) who is being wooed by a record company, and a daughter (Iska) who is writing a book about apples, the Henry family decamp to a village in France to sort themselves out.

George and hi

Published January 1st 2011 by Permanent Press (NY)

To ask other readers questions about The Redemption of George Baxter Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Redemption of George Baxter Henry

switterbug (Betsey)
Oct 19, 2011 switterbug (Betsey) rated it it was amazing
George Baxter Henry is no paragon of virtue. In fact, he is a paradigm of vice, with a penchant for lustful young women. His marriage is on the rocks and his fractured family is falling apart. Connor Bowman's novella after The Last Estate takes us back to the South of France--this time Nice, but with an American protagonist. In this sinfully laugh out loud story about a wounded family trying to stitch itself back together, Bowman manages to make the reader care about these cross and querulous in ...more
Amy
A well-written novel doesn’t always have to have a likable character. George Baxter Henry in The Redemption of George Baxter Henry is one of those guys who’s deceptive, arrogant, selfish, sexist and manipulative. The Henry family travels to France for several months when George’s wife, Muriel, discovers he’s been cheating on her.

People say marriage isn’t all roses, but I’d got further and say it’s mostly bills and parent/teacher meetings with a little pasta and misunderstanding thrown in.

For Ge
Michelle Lancaster
By Conor Bowman
The Permanent Press 140 pgs
ISBN: 978-1-57962-220-6
Submitted by The Permanent Press
Rating: 3.5

re-demp-tion [re demp shuh`n] noun
1. an act of redeeming or the state of being redeemed.
2. deliverance; rescue.
3. Theology . deliverance from sin; salvation.
4. atonement for guilt.
5. repurchase, as of something sold.

George Baxter Henry is a middle-aged attorney from Boston. He is married to Pearl. Their college-age son Billy is in a band being wooed by record companies. Iska is their 14-y
Joanne
Jul 22, 2012 Joanne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
George Baxter Henry, his wife, Paula, his cocaine-addicted son, Billy, his "slow" daughter, Iska, and his mother-in-law, Muriel, are on a flight to France for a vacation. Billy is nineteen and is trying to become a rock star, has contracts ready to be signed, but needs his father to do that because of his age.
Iska is intent on writing a book about apples. Muriel is ever-present with her history of having been an Oscar-winning actress and her utter dislike for George.
The trip has been planned bec
Sheila
George Baxter Henry, GBH, is a lawyer, and while he’s arrogant and unlikeable on the surface, he makes a surprisingly personable narrator for this tale. Even while he pours his vitriol on other members of his family, there’s sharply drawn humor, an honest measuring of his own failings, and a deep, unexpected sympathy that makes Conor Bowmans’ second novel especially moving.

Henry has been caught by his silent-screen-star, can’t-close-her-mouth mother-in-law, in the betrayal of his marriage vows.
Kasia Hubbard
Aug 23, 2011 Kasia Hubbard rated it it was amazing
I won this on Goodreads. This book cracked me up! Though George Baxter Henry has the mouth of a sailor and is quite sarcastic (especially when speaking to his Mother-in-Law Muriel), he is quite humorous in his thoughts. The story starts off with Billy's (Henry's son) head literally in a toilet bowl. You soon find out that Billy is addicted to cocaine. Iska is writing a book about apples. Henry's marriage is falling apart because Muriel hired a private investigator and caught Henry cheating on hi ...more
Kristina Franken
I loved the book. I could not put it down. The struggles of the family members are classic. There is a classic middle age crisis in which the lesson is that only you can find happiness.

George, is an unfaithful husband. Pearl, is wife, is the caregiver of the family. Billy the oldest child has a drug problem and is straigtened out by George while in France. Iska is a teenage author. Muriel is the ever overbearing mother in law who refuses to die. That is until the plane ride home.

I have recieved
Martha
Sep 08, 2011 Martha rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through the Goodreads Giveaway! I have to say that I had a lot of reactions to this book, partly because I did not care for the main character. He was grouchy, rude, egotistical, lacked morals, and was overall a pain in the butt. However, I did like his directedness (I felt like I needed to give him something positive). The book was a quick read. I didn't like how I felt at the end, but it did make me feel and that is what you want out of a book. I would say the book was interest ...more
Rebecca
Jul 18, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Great book! I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I randomly signed up for this giveaway but I am glad I did. The main character was vulgar and raunchy and in my opinion, really set this book apart from others of its type. The author didn't drag the story on like some do, leaving me very content after reading it. I definitely recommend this book!!!
Melanie
Oct 03, 2011 Melanie rated it really liked it
***Goodread Giveaway*** A solid short story in which you find yourself rooting for the arrogant George Baxter Henry as he deals with his crazy, overbearing mother-in-law, a failing marriage and coked up son. I loved the quirky little notes his daughter left for him on apples. This is a funny and inspiring book for anyone with a disfunctional family.
William
Jan 12, 2014 William rated it really liked it
Quite a funny little book. It was an enjoyable quick read.
Denise Kettle
Denise Kettle rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Dave
Dave is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2015
Roisin Costello
Roisin Costello rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2012
Anne Grech
Anne Grech marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2012
Ayla
Ayla marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2012
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2012
Maj
Maj marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2012
Rhiannon
Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2012
Mom
Mom rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Skj
Skj added it
Jan 14, 2012
Kurisutaina
Kurisutaina marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2011
Annet
Annet marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2011
Elihu
Elihu added it
Oct 16, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

“We're all gonna die someday, and in between being born and then, you only have one f***ing life. If you spend more time being happy with what you've got than you do being unhappy about things you don't have, then you've cracked the secret.” 2 likes