Start by marking “Zaklęcie katastrofy” as Want to Read:
Zaklęcie katastrofy

Zaklęcie katastrofy (Dance of the Gods #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Maksymilian, romantyczny awanturnik przemierzający w poszukiwaniu przygód tajemniczy, rządzony przez bogów świat, trafia do miasta Roosing Oolvaya, otoczonego magiczną barierą uniemożliwiającą opuszczenie jego murów. Wkrótce odkrywa, że władzę sprawuje tam potężny czarownik, rzekomy bóg śmierci. Wyzwolone przez niego magiczne moce grożą miastu straszliwą katastrofą...
Published 1997 by Amber (first published July 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Zaklęcie katastrofy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zaklęcie katastrofy

Jsnows
Dec 07, 2012 Jsnows rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled upon this book by accident and I had never heard of it or the author so I had no expectations at all besides hoping it was a good read.
Mayer Alan Brenner did a great job with the characters which I found to be well developed and have a fair bit of depth to them. Plus , you've got to love a "hero" whose nickname is "the Vaguely Disreputable". The story is frequently humorous in a real life sort of way, mostly due to twisted circumstances rather than deliberately attempting to be funny
Ann aka Iftcan
Ok, not exactly sure what to call this book. It has some dystopian features, some post-apcolyptic features, plus is definitely fantasy.

First of all, I will admit, I picked it up after reading the blurb on the back and falling in love with the hero's name. Maximillian the Vaguely Disreputable. . . I mean, who wouldn't love a book with a hero with that name, right?

Anyway, poor old Maximillian has his hands full, trying to save friends, allies and even an entire city. And what is he trying to save
Linda
Jul 27, 2012 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the 3rd book in this series for many years on my shelf, and I'm trying to declutter a bit. Rather than give that one away, I finally went to the library and asked them to bring the others in the series up from archival storage, because that's the kind of book nerd I am.

This is a decent fantasy book. His characters are intelligent, and there's some humor and enough action that I will go on and read the next book in the four-part series. This first one stands on its own; there is no cliff-ha
Dan
Sep 19, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brenner is an old-school fantasy author with an ornery streak. Catastrophe's Spell is Errol-Flynn-style adventuring (or is that "Phlinn Arol"?) with references to quantum physics, higher maths, existential and epistemological puzzles, and gritty gumshoe brawling.

Don't look for any character growth (or even real depth), or answers to life's deeper mysteries. Just good clean science/magic fiction fun, with plenty of pretentious, sarcastic banter.

A light read, but highly enjoyable.

EDIT: Forgot to m
Teejaybee
A good read. A slow burner that took a long time to get going and seemed disjointed as a result. The finale was worth waiting for and, by means of a simple construct, I've been left looking forward to the next in series to see what happens to the characters.

Good characterisation and good , complex magic that was described well through the dialogue. I hadn't come across this fictional approach to magic in a book before so it was interesting and seemed very believable.

There is an interesting twi
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
This book somehow just failed to grab me. Faults I didn't like were: long technical discussions about magic (boring enough when it's technical discussions about something that exists let alone...) and I felt the characters were not well delineated. At times I picked up the book in the middle of a conversation and had to page back to see who was speaking. I think it was this failure of the characters to come to life that prevented the story from catching fire for me.
Hugo Scaramuzza
Got this book for free online in pdf format, read most of it on my phone while on the train. Fun, light-hearted fantasy adventure. Got a little too verbose in his descriptions of magical effects, describing in minute detail all the colors and interactions of magical power flying around when spellcasters fight, but otherwise an enjoyable read. Story jumps back and forth between a handful of main characters, so it's a little hard to follow at first, but I liked it.
Tamara
May 22, 2013 Tamara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a VERY hard time following which character was currently speaking ... lots of backing up and re-listening and still had a tough time

so, in essence, I got the Cliff Notes version of the book even tho I listened to the whole thing, unabridged.

with that, I'm not sure I can really tell you what the story was about other than what is already available in the synopsis
David
Mar 18, 2009 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four-book fantasy series with a few sci-fi touches. Comes across as being set in someone's RPG gameworld, but it's distinctive enough and it has some clever touches, though you'd have to read all four books to appreciate most of them. Slow starter. I believe Brenner has the full text of book 1 available free on his website.
Betsey
Jun 09, 2012 Betsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where did this author come from? What a surprise. I loved the characters and how they inter-twined in this plot. Very entertaining, not dull at all. Reading the second book now.
Dan
Oct 04, 2009 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signal
Fantasy; swashbuckling. The characters were detailed and engaging. The trick with the detective's viewpoint was very cute.
Michael Mcdougall
Nov 01, 2008 Michael Mcdougall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-fanstasy
Solid, slightly tongue in cheek fantasy adventure.
Kathy
a real interesting and unique read.
Dwight
Dwight marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Georgina Heredia Brandt
Georgina Heredia Brandt is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2016
Anthony Adam
Anthony Adam marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Jennifer Delurey
Jennifer Delurey rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Rudy
Rudy added it
Feb 14, 2016
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Thomas Womack
Thomas Womack rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Stas Bushuev
Stas Bushuev rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Lisa Pennie
Lisa Pennie marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
JKK
JKK rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2015
Jason Neuman
Jason Neuman marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Aric Cowett
Aric Cowett marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Kazimieras Aliulis
Kazimieras Aliulis rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2015
Dhonia Darick
Dhonia Darick marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Star Dragon
  • Ellie's Wolf (After the Crash, #5)
  • The Pied Piper of the Undead
  • No Rest for the Wicca
  • Drinker of Souls (Drinker of Souls, #1)
  • Dead Demon Walking (Whisperings, #3)
  • Harmony
  • The Prize in the Game (Tir Tanagiri #3)
  • The Element of Fire (Ile-Rien, #1)
  • Scratch Monkey
  • The Magickers (The Magickers, #1)
  • The Long Run: A Tale of the Continuing Time  (The Continuing Time, #2)
  • Illegal Magic
  • The Incompleat Enchanter
  • Omnilingual
  • Ventus
  • Throne of Oak (Maggie's Grove, #2)
  • And the Devil Will Drag You Under

Dance of the Gods (4 books)
  • Spell of Intrigue (Dance of the Gods, #2)
  • Spell of Fate (Dance of the Gods, #3)
  • Spell of Apocalypse (Dance of the Gods, #4)