Start by marking “Tom O'Bedlam” as Want to Read:
Tom O'Bedlam

Tom O'Bedlam

Książka opowiada o chylącej się ku upadkowi cywilizacji Ziemi początku XXII wieku. Przemoc i gwałty stały się codziennością. Rozkwitają fanatyczne sekty. Świat został pozbawiony nadziei. I wtedy pojawia się tytułowy bohater - zdolny do nawiązania telepatycznego kontaktu z obcymi cywilizacjami.
Czy jego dar jest wybawieniem dla ludzkości, czy też narzędziem jej ostatecznej
Published 1994 by Krajowa Agencja Wydawnicza (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Tom O'Bedlam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom O'Bedlam

Andela
Introduction:

This was recommended to me by my dad. He was nice enough to lend me his copy after I promised that I wouldn't break the spine and that I would put it back in the plastic wrapper when I wasn't reading it. Admittedly, I thought it was more trouble than it was worth. His copy was yellowed and smelt like vinegar and it made me worry about how a book about the future would translate like 20 years later.

Possible spoilers ahead!

What I Liked About It:

Several storylines that seem to be e
Paul Darcy
by Robert Silverberg, published in 1985.

I have yet to read a Silverberg novel I didn’t like, but this one came close to having me indifferent.

The story is pretty far-fetched - Tom O’Bedlam, crazy Tom, has been getting images and sendings from space since he was a small boy. And boy, are these some unbelievable images and sendings. There are hundreds, even thousands of alien species in the galaxy, and Tom knows about them all and their worlds and interrelationships.

Or does he?

The setting is post
Chip Hunter
Dec 29, 2016 Chip Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Often hailed as one of Silverberg's most original efforts, TOM O'BEDLAM is a mainstay of New Age/Spiritual SciFi, a genre that peaked during the 1970's and 1980's. Robert Silverberg, penning novels since the mid-1950's, has been one of the genre's most prolific authors. He published TOM O'BEDLAM in 1985, during the height of his popularity and while he was writing some of his most imaginative fiction. The book takes place on a near-future, post-apocalyptic Earth, in which war has left civilizati ...more
Chris Gager
A rescued book from my own shelves via the transfer station. My book has this cover but is a paperback. I've liked Silverberg in the past. He's one of that classic generation of 50's and 60's writers. Starting today/tonight...

And off and reading last night spite of busyness. I like the post-apoc. stories. We'll see how this ones stacks up.

Slow progress so far but I'll be able to get into it tonight. It's time for something to happen I'm guessing.

Still progressing slowly halfway through the book.
Sam
Oct 19, 2013 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A post-apocalyptic novel. Earth is ravaged by radioactive warfare, and social fragmentation. Tom O'Bedlam is a crazy (perhaps!) wanderer, dreaming of alien races on other planets. His dreams become widely shared, and Tom and others talk of leaving their bodies to travel to the alien planets, leaving earth behind. Perhaps it is a shared illusion propagated by O'Bedlam's mental powers. But after images from a space probe show aliens from the dreams, maybe perhaps it is all true. Or, perhaps it is ...more
Grady McCallie
Aliens are coming, and in a run-down, post-nuclear America, one man can see them particularly clearly. Or, maybe, he's a mutant giving everyone around him hallucinatory visions. It doesn't really matter which until characters have to decide whether to let him send their spirits across space, leaving their (dead) earthly bodies behind. But at that point, for the characters - and the reader - the question becomes much more urgent: what do you believe is happening, death or transcendence?

A bit slow
Elizabeth
May 04, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victor Whitman
I am a big fan of RS and so I liked enough of this to say it was just OK. It is set in a post-apocalyptic world where characters start seeing visions of other worlds, which are either transmissions from these worlds or the psychosis of one man, crazy Tom, who might have the power to project false visions on these people. It reminded me of a Philip Dick novel where you aren't really sure what is going on. At any rate, I found it muddled and the ending, last 100 pages of an overly long 374 page bo ...more
Erin
Jan 13, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh.

I can see Silverberg was inspired by the medieval Tom O'Bedlam. I'm moderately pleased with him for that. But... the story is too neat. Within the first third I could see where everything was going and then it just plunked along to it's tied up end. I felt no suspense and no real love for any of the characters either.

Overal, just Meh.
Alex Bergonzini
Oct 05, 2013 Alex Bergonzini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una história que poco a poco va tomando forma, levantando la curiosidad, entre lo paranormal y la ciencia ficción, donde no te dejará indiferente. Falsas y decadentes religiones, un mundo destrozado, unos personajes que se esconden en sus vidas para no sentir lo que les rodea. Todo cambia en esta historia.

¿Quien es más loco, el loco o el loco que sigue al loco?
Ratiocination
This was fine while I was reading it, but I'm not left with much of an impression. There are a number of disparate elements that you know have to come together eventually, and in the end that's just about all they do. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but I wasn't impressed.
Georgene
Nov 21, 2012 Georgene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
End of civilization. Apocalyptic end times. An interesting twist with overtones of The Revelation by John of Patmos. It was an o.k. story. Not great, but o.k.

Yes, I AM damning it with faint praise. A lot of science fiction just doesn't hold up in the long run.
Michael Nalbone
Nov 02, 2016 Michael Nalbone rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I did not like the story, but read it to find out how it ended. Did not like the ending either. The only story line is that most of the good looking women are naked in the narrative. Borrow the book if interested, but do not spend any money on it.
Adam Heine
I want to like it more, but the ending left me wanting so much. At the same time, an ending that tied up more loose ends wouldn't have been as good, probably. A really interesting story about faith.
tivasyk
сілверберг таки майстерно ставить питання віри, релігії, смерті — залишаючи читача без відповідей. бо відповідь кожен може отримати лише після… the crossing.
Frank
Jan 26, 2017 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Another good sci-fi classic from Silverberg.
Neil Shelley
Neil Shelley rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Paul Haines
Paul Haines rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2011
Rodney
Rodney rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2009
Bernie
Bernie rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2016
James Eckman
James Eckman rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2015
Ana Morgan
Ana Morgan rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Jonathan Jacks
Jonathan Jacks rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2009
Ariel
Ariel rated it liked it
May 06, 2012
Dusterstar
Dusterstar rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2011
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2011
Luis
Luis rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2008
Paul De Belder
Paul De Belder rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Feeblegodling
Feeblegodling rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2011
  • The Wizard Of Linn
  • "I Am": The Selected Poetry of John Clare
  • Buying Time
  • Visible Light
  • The Defector (Janac's Games, #1)
  • The Best of Damon Knight
  • Dinner at Deviant's Palace
  • Half Life
  • The Shield of Time (Time Patrol, #5)
  • Gypsies
  • A Coming of Age
  • Beyond Heaven's River
  • The Rituals of Infinity
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 3: The Father-Thing
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...