Tom O'Bedlam

Tom O'Bedlam

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Książka opowiada o chylącej się ku upadkowi cywilizacji Ziemi początku XXII wieku. Przemoc i gwałty stały się codziennością. Rozkwitają fanatyczne sekty. Świat został pozbawiony nadziei. I wtedy pojawia się tytułowy bohater - zdolny do nawiązania telepatycznego kontaktu z obcymi cywilizacjami.
Czy jego dar jest wybawieniem dla ludzkości, czy też narzędziem jej ostatecznej...more
Published 1994 by Krajowa Agencja Wydawnicza (first published 1985)

Andela
First Impressions:

This was recommended to me by my dad. He was nice enough to lend me his copy after I promised that I wouldn't break the spine and that I would put it back in the plastic wrapper when I wasn't reading it. Admittedly, I thought it was more trouble than it was worth. His copy was yellowed and smelt like vinegar and it made me worry about how a book about the future would translate like 20 years later.

Possible spoilers ahead!

What I Liked About It:

Several storylines that seem to...more
Chris Gager
A rescued book from my own shelves via the transfer station. My book has this cover but is a paperback. I've liked Silverberg in the past. He's one of that classic generation of 50's and 60's writers. Starting today/tonight...

And off and reading last night spite of busyness. I like the post-apoc. stories. We'll see how this ones stacks up.

Slow progress so far but I'll be able to get into it tonight. It's time for something to happen I'm guessing.

Still progressing slowly halfway through the book....more
Grady McCallie
Aliens are coming, and in a run-down, post-nuclear America, one man can see them particularly clearly. Or, maybe, he's a mutant giving everyone around him hallucinatory visions. It doesn't really matter which until characters have to decide whether to let him send their spirits across space, leaving their (dead) earthly bodies behind. But at that point, for the characters - and the reader - the question becomes much more urgent: what do you believe is happening, death or transcendence?

A bit slow...more
Paul Darcy
by Robert Silverberg, published in 1985.

I have yet to read a Silverberg novel I didn’t like, but this one came close to having me indifferent.

The story is pretty far-fetched - Tom O’Bedlam, crazy Tom, has been getting images and sendings from space since he was a small boy. And boy, are these some unbelievable images and sendings. There are hundreds, even thousands of alien species in the galaxy, and Tom knows about them all and their worlds and interrelationships.

Or does he?

The setting is post...more
Sam
A post-apocalyptic novel. Earth is ravaged by radioactive warfare, and social fragmentation. Tom O'Bedlam is a crazy (perhaps!) wanderer, dreaming of alien races on other planets. His dreams become widely shared, and Tom and others talk of leaving their bodies to travel to the alien planets, leaving earth behind. Perhaps it is a shared illusion propagated by O'Bedlam's mental powers. But after images from a space probe show aliens from the dreams, maybe perhaps it is all true. Or, perhaps it is...more
Elizabeth
Erin
Meh.

I can see Silverberg was inspired by the medieval Tom O'Bedlam. I'm moderately pleased with him for that. But... the story is too neat. Within the first third I could see where everything was going and then it just plunked along to it's tied up end. I felt no suspense and no real love for any of the characters either.

Overal, just Meh.
Alex Bergonzini
Una história que poco a poco va tomando forma, levantando la curiosidad, entre lo paranormal y la ciencia ficción, donde no te dejará indiferente. Falsas y decadentes religiones, un mundo destrozado, unos personajes que se esconden en sus vidas para no sentir lo que les rodea. Todo cambia en esta historia.

¿Quien es más loco, el loco o el loco que sigue al loco?
Ratiocination
This was fine while I was reading it, but I'm not left with much of an impression. There are a number of disparate elements that you know have to come together eventually, and in the end that's just about all they do. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but I wasn't impressed.
Georgene
End of civilization. Apocalyptic end times. An interesting twist with overtones of The Revelation by John of Patmos. It was an o.k. story. Not great, but o.k.

Yes, I AM damning it with faint praise. A lot of science fiction just doesn't hold up in the long run.
Adam Heine
I want to like it more, but the ending left me wanting so much. At the same time, an ending that tied up more loose ends wouldn't have been as good, probably. A really interesting story about faith.
Ellece
Classic Silverberg - READ THIS BOOK
Marc Carstensen
Marc Carstensen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Thom Winters
Thom Winters marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Marci
Marci marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
  • Mission To The Stars
  • A Million Open Doors (Giraut #1)
  • Dark is the Sun
  • Visible Light
  • The Shield of Time
  • Black Star Rising (A Del Rey Book)
  • A Defence of Poetry
  • The Ascension Factor (Destination: Void, #4)
  • The Seedling Stars
  • Dinner at Deviant's Palace
  • Buying Time
  • Fall of the White Ship Avatar (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #3)
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 3: The Father-Thing
  • Terminal Café
  • The Fall of the Towers
  • The Legion of Space
  • The Crucible of Time
  • Project Pope
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc...more
More about Robert Silverberg...
Lord Valentine's Castle (Lord Valentine, #1) Legends The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 Dying Inside Legends II